PDA

View Full Version : ToS violators shut down BB.com boards

LouGrant
09-11-2002, 08:02 AM
Bills Statement On buffalobills.com Message Board Suspension (http://buffalobills.com/fans/index.cfm?cont_id=127790)

The intent of the Bills message board is to provide buffalobills.com users with the ability to constructively interact and communicate about Bills football in an online environment. We would like to thank the large number of Bills message board users for their constructive discussion about Buffalo Bills football.

However, over the last several weeks we have observed a series of personal attacks among a small number of users that are in direct violation to the Code of Conduct prominently displayed within the board area.

Due to the recurring nature of these violations, the Bills will suspend the message boards for a period of one week beginning on Tuesday, September 10, 2002. The boards will be re-activated on Tuesday, September 17, 2002.

Have you hugged your moderator today?

casdhf
09-11-2002, 08:04 AM
Great, lets hope the idiots stay inactive and don't find any other boards

LouGrant
09-11-2002, 08:07 AM
I hope you are referring to the chosen few cited in the statement, not the majority of their members who just want to post about football and fun.

Any and all are welcomed here, as long as they abide by the ToS

casdhf
09-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by LouGrant
However, over the last several weeks we have observed a series of personal attacks among a small number of users that are in direct violation to the Code of Conduct prominently displayed within the board area

[/B]

Yes, these idiots. :up:

Ebenezer
09-11-2002, 09:09 AM
it also falls to moderators to do their jobs!!

shelby
09-11-2002, 08:25 PM
a little maturity never hurt anyone.
:D

Novacane
09-11-2002, 08:30 PM
That does not seem fair. Why not just ban the trouble makers?

JayWood
09-11-2002, 08:31 PM
We have the best Moderators around on these message boards...great job guys!!

Dozerdog
09-11-2002, 08:34 PM
The big difference?

We are unpaid, do this for free, and try to have 24/7 /365 a year coverage.

Other sites are monitored only on a part time basis. Plus, it seems like an alpha dog mentality over there. The bigger you growl, the more important you are.

casdhf
09-11-2002, 08:34 PM
:up:

HenryRules
09-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Personally, one of the things I love about this site is the maturity with which everyone conducts themselves. Good job to the moderators, but also cheers to all members for being decent.

TigerJ
09-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Hey, that's me, Mr. Decency!

lordofgun
09-11-2002, 09:41 PM
The members here are incredible! :up:

venis2k1
09-11-2002, 09:45 PM

Dozerdog
09-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Thanks to all the big fat jerks who make all this possible :D

Buffarama
09-11-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm glad they did it. I've never been there mind you. But it's about time someone put their foot down and stopped these abusive children from ruining forums. Take alt.buffalobills for example. That forum has become useless.
Quite frankly, that is why many have moved over to these moderated forums.
Keep em moderated, and keep the trash out. No one needs these idiots.

casdhf
09-11-2002, 09:56 PM
ah men :up:

Buffarama
09-11-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Thanks to all the big fat jerks who make all this possible :D

LOL Dozer!

NoCtUrNaL
09-11-2002, 10:02 PM
What a bunch o'wusses...."you're the best moderators" :makeout: "no, you're the greatest members" :makeout: "no, no, no...you're the best moderators" :makeout: "nope....you're the best members" :eek:

venis2k1
09-11-2002, 10:45 PM

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 01:38 AM
This is a great bunch of guys to work for :up:

Sabre Ally
09-12-2002, 02:10 AM
Geez, I posted about this last night in the Twilight Zone and only got 2 replies. LOL. Next time I'll just post in the Bills Zone even if it's off topic. :p:

German
09-12-2002, 04:31 AM
All right,

I'm from over there and I'm about sick of the schnit I see in here and the Range.
Football is a passionate game with passionate fans.

We are grown-ups over there who can handle all the abuse those idiots from other teams can hand out.

The problem is that the mods over there have peanuts for Balls
and won't let us take care of those morons ourselfs.

My point is, who needs a Forum like this one were you get spanked or I don't know what else when you speak your mind.

I'm definetly no friend of colorfull language (you can see for yourself, I post under the same name over there) but I refuse to hide behind my mother like you guys.

Can't handle the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen !!!

The_Philster
09-12-2002, 04:56 AM
Sorry German, but the fact that personal attacks seem to make up the majority of posts on usenet and on BB.com is why those two boards are so poorly thought of. If you have to resort to personal attacks because you disagree with a person's point of view, then you're simply proving that other person right because you can't back up your own statements with facts.

German
09-12-2002, 05:19 AM
I never had to resort to personal attacks to get my point across.
I actually take great pride in being one of the more reasonable posters over there.

My point was that you guys can't judge something you've never experienced. From the looks of it you never had to deal with those Patsies. And why? Because you're not part of the official
website.

Yeah, I know you've been over there Philster, so you at least should know what I'm talking about.

And a personal attack is only worth something if you let it get to you.

I'm not here to say our board is better then yours and would surely appreciate if you wouldn't either.

The thing that triggered all of the stuff that is going on over there is someone found a glitch in the software and started posting under other peoples names.

Apparently that was the reason for them taking the PM system down. Incorporated in that systen was the ignore feature which was lost as well.

I guess what happened next was that all those Patsies (the once the older users still had on ignore) and the newer memebers got in some arguments. I never saw anything out of the ordinary since I still had them on ignore.

And kaboom. Message board suspended.

What makes you folks in here think that the same thing couldn't happen to you?

The reason why I'm in here tonight is that I'm a Bills fan that wants information about his team. End of story.

Do I need to like your board in order to do that? No.
But I respect it.

clumping platelets
09-12-2002, 05:20 AM
:rolleyes:

Buffarama
09-12-2002, 05:44 AM
Grow up German. I see you on this board and the "other" board trying to stir the pot. Obviously you were part of the problem. If I was a mod here I would have fried you already.
No one needs you. Take your baby act somewhere else. I'm done with you as of now anyways.

Dozerdog
09-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Talking passionatly about football is one thing, but when people have to defend their position by insulting you personally, it reduces a debate into the Jerry Springer show.

If it wasn't embarassing to the Bills themselves, then why did they shut it down? And I will say this, they will probably dump it entirely if it becomes to much of a stigma.

Dozerdog
09-12-2002, 06:42 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot-

Welcome to the forums! :D :up:

Ð
09-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
What a bunch o'wusses...."you're the best moderators" :makeout: "no, you're the greatest members" :makeout: "no, no, no...you're the best moderators" :makeout: "nope....you're the best members" :eek:

Your point being.....?

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by German
I never had to resort to personal attacks to get my point across.
I actually take great pride in being one of the more reasonable posters over there.

Me too. :hamrhed:

I sympathise. Being the "official" board must be tough because you don't want to alienate anyone who may buy your product. But if you want to sell tickets to drunks with their shirts off in a snowstorm, you have to tolerate their idiocy on the MB's too. It's a two edged sword. Maybe the thing to do is create a spam board like these guys did, and move the crap in there without deleting it.

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 09:59 AM
Or maybe they should just get rid of their message boards. :D

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 10:04 AM
BTW, German,

I have seen you post over there, and I agree that you are one of the better posters over there. You tend to stick to football for the most part, and have some good takes. You're welcome here just like anyone else.

So why come here and bash our site?

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 10:26 AM
I was over there (BB.com) when I first got a computer. I was bashed around too much for my own liking. With attacks like "I guess the air is thin in Canada; you don't think straight; stick to the CFL buddy..." I found these fine folks here and never found the need to go back.

I enjoy talking football, but not when a few people (We know who they are) attack you for no good reason.

I'll stick to the Zone, thank you very much.

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Pansy. :)

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 10:36 AM
At least I'm not a fat pansy! :D

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by German
My point is, who needs a Forum like this one were you get spanked or I don't know what else when you speak your mind.

I'm definetly no friend of colorfull language (you can see for yourself, I post under the same name over there) but I refuse to hide behind my mother like you guys.

Hmm, they have an expression here and I'm sure it's used on other boards, and it is, "attack the post, not the poster".

Interesting concept, but not completely practical for an internet MB, sometimes I feel like I should preface my posts with, "if it pleases the court...".

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 11:08 AM
sometimes I feel like I should preface my posts with, "if it pleases the court...".

That would be acceptable. :D

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 11:18 AM
If it pleases the court I'd like to express my profound disdain for the poster above. :D

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 11:21 AM
motion denied.

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Actually, that gives me an idea, it's been said that diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to "go to hell" in such a way as to actually have them looking forward to the trip.

That said, we should have a contest to see who can create an expression (or expressions) that tells another person to "go **** themselves", but it can't violate the TOS.

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 11:28 AM
We have few already..like, Bite me.

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan

That's just it, if you made a list of acceptable expressions (kind of like the simile list), then people might have a reference and not get in trouble with the powers that be here.

Dozerdog
09-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Fat Pansy is OK

Ð
09-12-2002, 11:41 AM
sometimes I feel like I should preface my posts with, "if it pleases the court...".

That's "if it pleases the court, your honour" to you :D

Stadium Sportswear
09-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Would this be a personal foul?

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Fat Pansy is OK

:snicker:

Buffalofan
09-12-2002, 01:38 PM
I have a serious question about BB.Com .. who runs that site over there ? They have been running a contest to win autographed boxes of Kelly Krunch yet have not announced a winner in almost two weeks. I know several people who have submitted thier entries to win (me included) but are left hanging because they wont announce the winners. I guess they are too busy patrolling thier message boards to worry about other issues. Dont get me wrong, its a cool site but it appears they have no regard for the fans in this case. Just like with the message board .. instead of punishing the gulity parties they are punishing everyone .. to me thats just bad business.

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 02:00 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/images/smilies3/piss2.gif <----- Runs BB.com

:jk:

The_Philster
09-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan

But you have to pay Jaded 7 a quarter everytime you use it. :D

northernbillfan
09-12-2002, 04:04 PM
That's why I use Byte me! Phil.

German
09-12-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Grow up German. I see you on this board and the "other" board trying to stir the pot. Obviously you were part of the problem. If I was a mod here I would have fried you already.
No one needs you. Take your baby act somewhere else. I'm done with you as of now anyways.

Your first post was actually the one that ticked me of. You said you've never been over there but in your second one you point me out as somebody who's stirring the pot over there?

Make up your mind or at least think before you talk to a grown-up.:peace:

DIHARD2
09-13-2002, 01:09 AM
This is interesting! If, German, or I or anyone else from BB is over here or at any other board to so-called stir a pot, why would we come here, to do this knowing that it's not allowed on this type of board.

Those who were causing the problem over on the BB board were fans from other teams. Unfortunately like Germans stated when they took the PM, they also took the ignore feature with it.

You can only take so much verbal abuse before you start giving it back. And a lot of the new Bills fans over their who didn't have that ignore function, started giving back what they were getting.

Unfortunately the board master over at BB treated everyone like children instead of punishing those who were doing the abuse.

I'm here to talk about football especially my favorite team the Buffalo Bills. I don't want to make enemies, but I'm not afraid to back up anything I do say.

The other board and it is not BB, banded me before I even had a chance to post. They prejudged me, but I did have a problem with the owner of the other board over at BB anyway. So it doesn't really bother me as long as I get a chance to read and if I can respond to any discussion about the Bills.

Judge us for our content do not judge us from what others have written about us. You'll see that were not here to create problems on your board, we are just here because we are Bills fans. Nothing more nothing less.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

German
09-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Dihard,

good to see you.

Well said.

John Doe
09-13-2002, 10:58 AM
I will vouch for German and Diehard2. They are good posters and true Bills fans.

lordofgun
09-13-2002, 11:02 AM
I agree. I browse the official site from time to time and they are 2 of the better posters. You are both very welcome here!

clumping platelets
09-13-2002, 11:05 AM
You must first :hail: before LOG ;)

Sabre Ally
09-13-2002, 02:07 PM
CP:spank:Ally

4thAndLong
09-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Good to see you both here, DIHARD, and German.

DIHARD, BBI banned you ALREADY?

I think Spiral said it best on BBI, us (posters of BB) are getting pre-judged because where we posted, and it's really stupid.

BTW, I'm an idiot poster from BB, ask German and DH2 ;)

BillC
09-13-2002, 08:36 PM
We are all Bills fans- no one is Judging anyone- I know how it feels!

John Doe
09-13-2002, 08:37 PM
I will vouch for 4thAndLong as well.

ArcticWildMan
09-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Welcome BB.com members. Y'all are welcome here anytime.

The_Philster
09-13-2002, 08:44 PM
I agree with AWM...welcome
Oh, and German, I wasn't saying you were part of the problem over there. It's just that when you have enough bad posters there, they tend to make everyone look bad. Same as usenet.

DIHARD2
09-13-2002, 08:54 PM
4thAndLong good to see you. I had a run in with the owner of BBI on the old BB board. So he prejudge me before I even had a chance to write anything worth substance. Their loss, besides that's a toy board anyways. At least that was what the owner told me in an e-mail.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

4thAndLong
09-13-2002, 08:57 PM
lol, I'm still on BBI...But, I prefer this site right now...

Somethings never change, Spiral and real are still going at it on BBI, lol

I'm still trying to figure this place out....Great graphics-What the hell are zone bucks?

BillC
09-13-2002, 08:58 PM
This place is cool- as long as you don't "Matt Drudge" anybody

BillC
09-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
lol, I'm still on BBI...But, I prefer this site right now...

Somethings never change, Spiral and real are still going at it on BBI, lol

I'm still trying to figure this place out....Great graphics-What the hell are zone bucks? Every time you post, you earn points, or "Zonebucks"

You can also make Zonebucks by starting threads. Every poster who replies to a post puts Zonebucks in your pocket.

You can add/take away Zonebucks from someone by hitting the "Rate" button below their posts and approve/disapprove.

The Zonebucks can be used in the Zone store to buy a custom avatar, change your title, or even change the title of fellow posters.

We even have a bookie who takes action on sports events in Zonebucks in the Zone Sportsbar.

Just one of the many toys, bells and whistles these guys continue to invent to keep this place interesting - especially into the long offseason when you beat to death topics like " What color are the new Uni's going to be?"

Rude American
09-14-2002, 12:38 AM
The way those board works is, you might have the best mods in the biz, but they don't have the power delete or edit. They simply relay the message on to an agency that manages them. That's why there's no immediate action against the ******s over there when the TOS are violated.

Rude American
09-14-2002, 12:41 AM
That's why if you post something nasty it might stay up for a day or two but it's deleted well after the fact. Jaded was banned from there as VEJ7.

Tom D
09-14-2002, 12:42 AM
That's why I like my God to be a vengeful God-

Smote those who disobey the 10 commandments of posting. :D

ublinkwescore
09-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Sorry guys, I'm partially responsible for it I think - I had a few not so nice things to say to the Blackbear on the BB.com as Fanobills. I wish they'd ban him, or give us the ignore option - that guy can really get under my skin - like a parasite.

lordofgun
09-14-2002, 12:46 AM
We have an ignore feature here! :D

NoCtUrNaL
09-14-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
We have an ignore feature here! :D

Yeah, but no one uses it for fear someone might something about them and they'll never know.

NoCtUrNaL
09-14-2002, 01:39 AM
I think there should be a 12 step program here for former BB.MB users...."hi, my name is (whatever) and I'm a BBholic".

Tom D
09-14-2002, 09:19 AM
I had this problem on my MB-

The Jehovas were smack talkin' at the Mormons- Then the Baptists got involved....

Oy Vey!!!

ublinkwescore
09-14-2002, 10:03 AM
There's one advantage to living next to Osama Bin Laden - the Jehova's never come knocking.

Valerie
09-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Rude American That's why if you post something nasty it might stay up for a day or two but it's deleted well after the fact. Jaded was banned from there as VEJ7.
But I don't think I ever said anything nasty or crude. I think that's when they went on a rampant banning frenzy. Right?

Ð
09-15-2002, 08:19 AM

Yeah, but no one uses it for fear someone might something about them and they'll never know.

Bingo! :D

justasportsfan
09-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
You'll see that were not here to create problems on your board, we are just here because we are Bills fans.
GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

This not just our board. This is anyones board including those who post at BB.com. Although this is a Bills website ,Finfans post here as well w/c makes it partly their board. Not a lot of people t
know football (me and finfnas most especially) but smack and other topics are welcome as it's done in a classy and friendly manner.

Basically this is anyones board until LOG and co. says otherwise. :)

Wys, Rude, Dman, Mcbill, myself(to name a few) started at BB.com until wys started threatening everyone.LOL!
I don't really care about those mentioned but I'm glad I met Princess over there.:j7: If only she wasn't a drunk.......lol:jk:

BillC
09-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

..............but smack and other topics are welcome as it's done in a classy and friendly manner.......................

I don't really care about those mentioned but I'm glad I met Princess over there.:j7: If only she wasn't a drunk.......lol:jk:

See? Classy smack talk!:bling: