PDA

View Full Version : Gailey Speaking to the media at 11:30

The King
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Per WGR and Bills. He has asked to address the media. It was his request.

I'll post highlights here.

bf1
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
He should be pelted with rocks and garbage.

The King
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
He's not a bad guy, he just failed at making any adjustments.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Seriously. He's a good person who did not do enough to keep his job and was just fired.

Mr. Pink
Depending on what he says at 11:30...my respect for him goes up.

Bad head coach, good human being.

He could just run and hide and say nothing but I have a feeling he's gonna address the fans in an apologetic manner and that he simply didn't do good enough.

bf1
He ruined 3 years of my life.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I hope he does well elsewhere. Good person with good intentions, just not a winner.

bf1
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
He's a loser.

RedEyE
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Earlier reports were wrong, he has been promoted to GM and will still be active HC and OC......lol

zone
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
The experiment didn't work but at least his offense was exciting to watch at times. I wish him the best.

Cleve
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Won't help the Bills much to get rid of Gailey and keep Nix. Nix is the one who has failed to address the gaping hole in the QB position and not even draft a decent backup - Tyler Thigpen? Are you kidding me? LOL

And he will not be hired anywhere else as head coach. This is the Buffalo pattern - hire HCs that wouldn't cut it anywhere else as HC (well, Mularkey did eventually get hired as HC in Jacksonville, but look how bad THEY are!)

The King
12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Won't help the Bills much to get rid of Gailey and keep Nix. Nix is the one who has failed to address the gaping hole in the QB position and not even draft a decent backup - Tyler Thigpen? Are you kidding me? LOL

Agree exactly what JoeB was just saying. They had no back-up plan. Levi Brown, Tyler Thigpen, Tavaris Jackson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vince Young were Nix's solution to the problem.

Don't Panic

I have a feeling he's not the only one guilty of doing that...

justasportsfan

"Tyler knows the offense more than TJ." I think the qb position was Chans call and Buddy trusted Chan

warsawbassman
12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

If your life has been ruined by three years of bad football, you have a sad, sad life.

Cleve
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Most fans and sports writers thought (correctly so) that Fitzpatrick was pretty bad. But he would have looked like a superstar in comparision had Thigpen been forced to play starting QB if Fitzpatrick was sidelined.

This was all on Nix... even if it was Gailey's decision - he had the veto authority and he went along with it.

bf1
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM

And he will not be hired anywhere else as head coach. This is the Buffalo pattern - hire HCs that wouldn't cut it anywhere else as HC (well, Mularkey did eventually get hired as HC in Jacksonville, but look how bad THEY are!)

Failed to address LB and WR too. And continued the defensive back carousel that's been the Bills mo the last 13 years.

casdhf
12-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Will this be on TV?

ServoBillieves
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Failed to address LB and WR too. And continued the defensive back carousel that's been the Bills mo the last 13 years.

Drafting TJ Graham and Easley weren't trying to address the situation... Same with Kelvin Sheppard. You're right.

Phrasing buddy, he addressed them but he didn't come through with Matthews and Fitzgerald's so he's immediately a loser.

The King
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
WGR hasnt cut over yet... It's not a pressure so they have to transfer audio.

ServoBillieves
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Coach is on GR, might call in...

bf1
12-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Drafting TJ Graham and Easley weren't trying to address the situation... Same with Kelvin Sheppard. You're right.

Phrasing buddy, he addressed them but he didn't come through with Matthews and Fitzgerald's so he's immediately a loser.

Besides the gift wrapped top picks from being a losing franchise, his drafts have been terrible.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Bills twitter is tweeting a summary:

Buffalo Bills ‏@buffalobills
Gailey: "this is a great football town"

Gailey: "Thanks to #Bills organization, to Buddy and Mr. Wilson for the opportunity"

Chan Gailey: the staff has been relieved of duties as well

- - - Updated - - -

Chan Gailey: "This is the first place that has ever fired me that I will pull for" #Bills

The King
12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Entire Coaching Staff released of duties.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Entire staff gone...not surprised.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Entire Coaching Staff released of duties.

Like I said, wish we keep JOe A. OL coach

YardRat
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Chan Gailey: "This is the first place that has ever fired me that I will pull for" #Bills

Classy.

better days
12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Most fans and sports writers thought (correctly so) that Fitzpatrick was pretty bad. But he would have looked like a superstar in comparision had Thigpen been forced to play starting QB if Fitzpatrick was sidelined.

This was all on Nix... even if it was Gailey's decision - he had the veto authority and he went along with it.

NO GM in the NFL has veto authority over who a Coach plays.

The King
12-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Very emotional with tears in his eyes.

Thanks to <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(130, 218, 245); ">#</s>Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash) organization, to Buddy and Mr. Wilson for the opportunity"

"this is a great football town" very found of his time here.

Even though he's been fired he's going to be pulling for this team and this city. He's never felt that way leaving a job.

He didn't take any questions.

Jeff1220
12-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Through it all, Chan has always been a classy guy. That hasn't changed. His decision making just got worse the longer he coached. I wish him the best.

better days
12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Besides the gift wrapped top picks from being a losing franchise, his drafts have been terrible.

There are quite a few guys on the roster drafted in lower rounds, time will tell how much they develop & improve. Some, maybe not at all & they will be replaced, but I will bet others such as Carrington will go on to have good careers.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I do feel a little bad for him, but we need to win.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
The sign points to they will try to get a high profile coach, the way they handle the firing. Perhaps Ralph sees what shanahan has done in DC and the Bills are somewhat close to getting him last time.

It's not my idea of getting upcomers but they way they spent money on FA last year, I see they shell out money for HC this time.

Don't Panic
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Bottom line is that he was a creative offensive mind that did a lot with a little until everyone else caught on, but he has no business being a head coach. I fully respect the guy and wish him the best... love the comment about still being a fan. Great move by a guy who just got shown the door.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
The sign points to they will try to get a high profile coach, the way they handle the firing. Perhaps Ralph sees what shanahan has done in DC and the Bills are somewhat close to getting him last time.

It's not my idea of getting upcomers but they way they spent money on FA last year, I see they shell out money for HC this time.Gruden and Cowher should be who we go after right away

The King
12-31-2012, 10:40 AM
WGR is playing the clip now.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Chan's presser on GR right now.

The King
12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
"Whoever takes over this team will have a great opportunity to bring this franchise back to greatness."

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
NO GM in the NFL has veto authority over who a Coach plays.

Sure they do.

They can trade or release the guy in front of him.

It happened in baseball. Billy Beane wanted Hatteberg to play 1st, Art Howe refused and kept playing Carlos Pena. Beane traded Pena. Guess who played 1st after that?

better days
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Sure they do.

They can trade or release the guy in front of him.

It happened in baseball. Billy Beane wanted Hatteberg to play 1st, Art Howe refused and kept playing Carlos Pena. Beane traded Pena. Guess who played 1st after that?

Football & baseball are two different sports. You can't just trade a QB because you don't agree with the HC about who is playing. And you can't just release a QB during the season because of cap implications. If the next guy goes down, who comes in?

If it were so easy to dump a QB, Sanchez would have been traded or released after about the 6th game.

The King
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Did any other coach do this?

The King
12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
looks like Reid nor Lovie did.

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Damn, that was emotional, made me feel bad for all the hate I spewed about him. I always knew he was a good guy, just that he shouldn't have never been a head coach.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Gailey is a good dude, but the organization is just steeped in failure.... Until that changes bills will be losers, that is why we need a great leader at the helm.

lmcshadow
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Charlie Chan Gailey says...Cannot see contents of nut until shell is cracked..

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
"Tyler knows the offense more than TJ." I think the qb position was Chans call and Buddy trusted Chan
I think Chan ran Vince out of Town and did the same to TJ because he knew they were ****. Buddy gave Chan one NFL backup caliber QB and a couple of guys that can't make an NFL roster.

I think Chan got screwed.

coastal
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
I think Chan ran Vince out of Town and did the same to TJ because he knew they were ****. Buddy gave Chan one NFL backup caliber QB and a couple of guys that can't make an NFL roster.

But hey... At least the defense improved!

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
But hey... At least the defense improved!

All those draft picks and free agents and the defense is worse than when Nix blew it up. I don't like the idea of a head coach calling plays. I think it leads to having no real headcoach in a lot of circumstances.

But that's what Buddy picked. He picked a guy that said he wanted to handle the offense and leave the D to a coordinator. All things considered, Chan got pretty good production from a bunch of castoffs.

His failing was not taking charge of the D, and not motivating his team. Those are shortcomings that were clear even before he was hired. **** Nix.

better days
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
All those draft picks and free agents and the defense is worse than when Nix blew it up. I don't like the idea of a head coach calling plays. I think it leads to having no real headcoach in a lot of circumstances.

But that's what Buddy picked. He picked a guy that said he wanted to handle the offense and leave the D to a coordinator. All things considered, Chan got pretty good production from a bunch of castoffs.

His failing was not taking charge of the D, and not motivating his team. Those are shortcomings that were clear even before he was hired. **** Nix.

When Chan was hired, he said he was going to be the OC & call plays the first year then turn that responsibility over, but he never did.

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM

Really? Have you watched Fitzputrid over the past three years? Chan thought Fitzputrid was good.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Really? Have you watched Fitzputrid over the past three years? Chan thought Fitzputrid was good.

we all agree that fitz sucked, but what else did chan have to work with? pigpen? trent edwards? VY? the only argument we could have made was for TJ

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
we all agree that fitz sucked, but what else did chan have to work with? pigpen? trent edwards? VY? the only argument we could have made was for TJ

Would have been so hard for Chan to tell his GM to get him a better prospect or whatever? He was the head coach for god's sake. You know damn well he had input on who the Bills drafted and looked at in free agency. If he didn't, then it's all the more reason that Buddy should be fired as well. The fact is that Chan thought he found magic in a box with Fitzputrid and didn't want anyone else.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Would have been so hard for Chan to tell his GM to get him a better prospect or whatever? He was the head coach for god's sake. You know damn well he had input on who the Bills drafted and looked at in free agency. If he didn't, then it's all the more reason that Buddy should be fired as well. The fact is that Chan thought he found magic in a box with Fitzputrid and didn't want anyone else.
Buddy was focused on saving his ass by fixing the defense he broke.

The only thing we know is that Chan thought Fitzpatrick was better than the rest of the QBs brought in. So far every other NFL team agrees with Chan, but maybe Jackson will get a starting job next season and prove him wrong.

Cleve
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM

I don't see how anyone who watched him play could have any opinion other than he was/is mediocre at best - I think he is very below average. I cannot fathom what Gailey saw in him. Why any sane coach would try to build an offense around such a substandard player is ludicrous. According to Howard Simon this morning he's the 19th best QB in the NFL based on stats alone, and he has the 19th highest salary, which is supposed to be some sort of justification for starting him. But Fitzpatrick's stats are very misleading. Did you see a replay of his 'big' 66 yd touchdown pass to Spiller? It was basically a little 10-12 ft toss to Spiller, and then Spiller ran 60 yards+ with it. I wager most Zoners could have made that 'pass'. And it was very typical of his passes. And he threw a lot of game-killing interceptions at crucial times.

I don't apologize for being critical of Gailey over the last 3 years. I was totally negative about his hiring in Jan 2010. He shouldn't have worked here in the first place. I believe at the time I wrote that Buffalo will just end up wasting 3 years with Gailey, as they wasted 3 years with Jauron, and then fire him. And in a nutshell that's what's happened.

And in 20 years, his time with the team will be almost totally forgotten in the sea of mediocrity the team has waded in throughout the last decade. I shed no tears over his departure - he shouldn't have been here period. I wish him well in the future... but his hiring and employment was a total mistake.

bf1
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Biddy Nix took a perennial 7-9 team and molded it onto a perennial 6-10 team. How this guy gets a pass from many of you is beyond me.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
When Chan was hired, he said he was going to be the OC & call plays the first year then turn that responsibility over, but he never did.
I think that's covered by:

His failing was not taking charge of the D, and not motivating his team. Those are shortcomings that were clear even before he was hired.
I'm not saying he was a good coach. He wasn't. He made lots of mistakes. But those mistakes were obvious to everyone before he was hired. He wasn't a good motivator and he only cared about half the game. So if we're going to blame Chan for those mistakes, as we should, we should also blame the guy that hired him.

I think we'll see him land an OC job somewhere and that team will have a top 10 offense. I don't think Nix will land another NFL job.

JoeMama
12-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Damn, that was emotional, made me feel bad for all the hate I spewed about him. I always knew he was a good guy, just that he shouldn't have never been a head coach.

My thoughts exactly.

Chan Gailey gave a pretty emotional statement following his termination.

"The first thing I wanted to say was 'Thanks' to the Bills' organization, to Buddy [Nix] and Mr. Wilson for the opportunity," Gailey said. "I understand this is a business. We didn't get the job done. I've been called two other times to get things turned around, was able to do it. We weren't able to get this one done soon enough, and I understand that completely.

"I want to thank the fans, great Buffalo fans, great football town. These are loyal, loyal fans, and I understand that. I think that the next staff will have a great opportunity for success and to make this another great football franchise.

"This'll probably be -- and I say 'probably,' but I think it will be -- the first place that's ever fired me that I'll pull for. Thank you."

Great guy, dubious head coach.

I always end up sympathizing with Gailey whenever I watch his pressers. He's comes across as a very candid, genuine person.

Makes me feel ashamed for the vitriol I spewed over the years. I get bent out of shape when my Bills lose.

Cleve
12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Biddy Nix took a perennial 7-9 team and molded it onto a perennial 6-10 team. How this guy gets a pass from many of you is beyond me.

Nix gets no pass from me. He rubber stamped Gailey's stupid endorsement of Blitzpatrick, and helped Gailey mold an entire team around a sub-standard journeyman backup quarterback.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 02:04 PM

Vince's creditors sealed his fate when they knocked on OBD's door and said 'Where's our money?'

Buddy had made it clear (earlier this year, I believe) that it was his job to acquire players, and Chan's to work with what he got him. IIRC, he actually came right out and said Chan didn't have any input.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Vince's creditors sealed his fate when they knocked on OBD's door and said 'Where's our money?'

Buddy had made it clear (earlier this year, I believe) that it was his job to acquire players, and Chan's to work with what he got him. IIRC, he actually came right out and said Chan didn't have any input.
I've said this before, but I think Buddy's plan was for Chan to scheme, gimmick and cute his way to an average offense using a roster full of rejects, retreads and late round picks. Buddy would hire the DC and build a dominant defense using free agents and high draft picks. In my mind Chan lived up to his part of the plan.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I've said this before, but I think Buddy's plan was for Chan to scheme, gimmick and cute his way to an average offense using a roster full of rejects, retreads and late round picks. Buddy would hire the DC and build a dominant defense using free agents and high draft picks. In my mind Chan lived up to his part of the plan.

the only problem with that was when he was given a first round talent, (spiller) he didn't f****ng use him and relied on his late round reject instead.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
the only problem with that was when he was given a first round talent, (spiller) he didn't f****ng use him and relied on his late round reject instead.
He used him as soon as he was better than Jackson. His first NFL season, Spiller sucked. He started getting more touches after the guy leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage went down with an injury. His stats were about the same as Fred's on a per game basis but he still couldn't block.

People forget but Fred' yards per game for 2011 is only behind Arian Faster and MJD. He also led RBs in yards per attempt at 5.6. He was certainly among the best RBs in the NFL that season. Tough to fault a coach for sticking with the hot hand who is also an inspirational leader and the heart and was the heart and soul of that team.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
He used him as soon as he was better than Jackson. His first NFL season, Spiller sucked. He started getting more touches after the guy leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage went down with an injury. His stats were about the same as Fred's on a per game basis but he still couldn't block.

People forget but Fred' yards per game for 2011 is only behind Arian Faster and MJD. He also led RBs in yards per attempt at 5.6. He was certainly among the best RBs in the NFL that season. Tough to fault a coach for sticking with the hot hand who is also an inspirational leader and the heart and was the heart and soul of that team.

i'm not talking about 2011. I get that. And I remember how good FJ was in 2011 before the injury. I'm talking about this year when there were games when spiller was getting the ball 6, 7, or 8 times a game for no f***ing reason.

- - - Updated - - -

and to clarify by late round reject, I'm talking about Fitz, NOT Freddy

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
i'm not talking about 2011. I get that. And I remember how good FJ was in 2011 before the injury. I'm talking about this year when there were games when spiller was getting the ball 6, 7, or 8 times a game for no f***ing reason.

- - - Updated - - -

and to clarify by late round reject, I'm talking about Fitz, NOT Freddy

He relies on Fitz because our Oline can't grind out first downs on 3rd and 2, or really do much of anything on short yardage. We're only able to run successfully from the spread, but that requires that you throw the ball more than you run it. The defense is the second worst in the NFL and we're constantly playing from behind.

If Chan had a line that could push the pile, he'd run. He worked pretty hard to get the ball to Spiller on screens and slants, hell even on some deep crosses and streaks. The offense, for all its faults, wasn't the problem.

kingJofNYC
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Always like Chan as a person, I like his one back offense, he just inst HC material. Loyal to a fault.

Wish him the best wherever he ends up.

coastal
12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
If I were an owner, Chan Gailey is the kind of person I would look to hire... Perhaps not as a head coach... But I feel awful for him today.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Did any other coach do this?

Reid did. But then again they did something to basically celebrate his 14 years there.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 03:42 PM
If I were an owner, Chan Gailey is the kind of person I would look to hire... Perhaps not as a head coach... But I feel awful for him today.
I said in a thread last week that he'd be a perfect consultant, filling a role similar to Dick LeBeau's a few years back.

Chan can scheme and draw up plays. He understands how to break down a defense and force matchups. It's a shame that its not possible to move backwards in an organization.

Saratoga Slim
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
I said in a thread last week that he'd be a perfect consultant, filling a role similar to Dick LeBeau's a few years back.

Chan can scheme and draw up plays. He understands how to break down a defense and force matchups. It's a shame that its not possible to move backwards in an organization.

I agree 100%. He's a good offensive coach that was hamstrung by mediocre QB play and average talent. Id love to have him back as OC, if such were possible.

But I do think the firing was justified, if nothing else because of the failure to field a professional defense despite what I'd call above average talent on the roster. I'll give him a pass for year 1, but since then....

I also have a problem with the number of blowouts this year. To me that says something.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I agree 100%. He's a good offensive coach that was hamstrung by mediocre QB play and average talent. Id love to have him back as OC, if such were possible.

But I do think the firing was justified, if nothing else because of the failure to field a professional defense despite what I'd call above average talent on the roster. I'll give him a pass for year 1, but since then....

I also have a problem with the number of blowouts this year. To me that says something.
Agree 98%. I don't think I'd want him as an OC, his play calling left a little to be desired. I guess if the head coach had play calling duties I'd be all for it.