PDA

View Full Version : Let's hurry up and interview a minority candidate

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
If we're working on getting a big name guy, let's hurry up and interview a token minority coach just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Fly me up to Buffalo and I'll do it for a Bills sweatshirt.

The King
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
I would think Lovie would at least be worth an interview.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Lovie. Done.

imbondz
12-31-2012, 10:46 AM
If we're working on getting a big name guy, let's hurry up and interview a token minority coach just to satisfy the Romney Rule.

LOL!

Mr. Miyagi
Except he hasn't been fired yet.

Has Romeo Crennel been let go?

The King
Lovie and Crennel are both out there.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Except he hasn't been fired yet.

Has Romeo Crennel been let go?

Reports are both Lovie and Romeo are gone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/bears-fire-lovie-smith/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/chiefs-fire-romeo-crennel-not-scott-pioli/related/

Mahdi
If we're working on getting a big name guy, let's hurry up and interview a token minority coach just to satisfy the Romney Rule.

Can we interview Modkins on his way out?

bf1
Do Asians qualify under the Rooney rule or just African Americans?

imbondz
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM

ooh good point

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
I think it's any non-white. Look at Rivera in Carolina. Don't think they interviewed any black coaches.

ServoBillieves
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Is the Rooney Rule racist or am I in the wrong thinking so? I don't care if my coach is white/black/asian/indian/midget. What is the point of this stupid rule? Was Al Davis screaming about having a black head coach? Asinine...

YardRat
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
If we're working on getting a big name guy, let's hurry up and interview a token minority coach just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Who would you hire as coordinators?

The King
12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
This Rooney thing needs to be thrown out the window.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Lovie Smith I could be talked into, Romeo Crennel, HELLLLLL NO

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Who would you hire as coordinators?
OC - PSY
DC - Megan Fox

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
OC - PSY
DC - Megan Fox

"Don't call us, we'll call you."

Well, that was easy...now let's get a coach in here.

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Lovie Smith I could be talked into, Romeo Crennel, HELLLLLL NO

I don't even know about Lovie. Chicago seemed to underachieve a lot with him there.

Jeff1220
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I would actually be okay with Lovie as HC. The guy had a Bears team in the SB with freakin Rex Grossman as QB.

DBrown77
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Fly me up to Buffalo and I'll do it for a Bills sweatshirt.You may just get the job.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
You may just get the job.
Then fine. Anyone can do this job.

Run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd, punt.

There I just took care of the entire 3 years of Dick Jauron era. Want me to do the Gailey era quick?

chernobylwraiths
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
I just want good coordinators. Getting sick of coordinators off the what's left pile.

lmcshadow
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I just want good coordinators. Getting sick of coordinators off the what's left pile.
Amen!!

notacon
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

I think your assertion is an insult.

These are not "token" minority candidates. The Rooney rule has been very successful. It's not there to necessarily get blacks hired for HC positions at that moment. It's designed to have owners consider them. Just going through the interview process opens the eye's of owners whom would not even talked to some of these candidates without the rule. Then, the owners talk among themselves....and more and more black candidates are brought into the discussion where they were not even to that level in the past.

You may have never been in a position of hiring people. I have. You can't judge a book by it's cover. I have learned this the hard way when I have rejected giving an interview to a prospective candidate (not for minority status...other reasons) and my supervisor forced me too. It's pretty eye opening when confronted with the realty of how a person carries themselves during an interview process as compared to what preconceived notions that are present without that interaction.

notacon
12-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Is the Rooney Rule racist or am I in the wrong thinking so? I don't care if my coach is white/black/asian/indian/midget. What is the point of this stupid rule? Was Al Davis screaming about having a black head coach? Asinine...

Booooooooo.

Read my post above.

Mike13
12-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Considering how much of a "Good Ol' Boys Club" the NFL is, the Rooney Rule is neccesary.

bf1
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Should the Rooney rule include women?

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
I think your assertion is an insult.

These are not "token" minority candidates. The Rooney rule has been very successful. It's not there to necessarily get blacks hired for HC positions at that moment. It's designed to have owners consider them. Just going through the interview process opens the eye's of owners whom would not even talked to some of these candidates without the rule. Then, the owners talk among themselves....and more and more black candidates are brought into the discussion where they were not even to that level in the past.

You may have never been in a position of hiring people. I have. You can't judge a book by it's cover. I have learned this the hard way when I have rejected giving an interview to a prospective candidate (not for minority status...other reasons) and my supervisor forced me too. It's pretty eye opening when confronted with the realty of how a person carries themselves during an interview process as compared to what preconceived notions that are present without that interaction.
I would agree with the Rooney Rule 10 or more years ago. But in this day and age of professional football, the Rooney Rule serves the opposite effect. We've come a long way since the days of good ol boys Buddy Ryan Don Shula clubs. With guys like Tony Dungy Art Shell Dennis Green Ray Rhodes to break the glass ceiling, we're now seeing more and more QUALIFIED coaches that are respected for what they can do and not as token black coaches, Leslie Fraizer Mike Tomlin etc. We no longer need a rule to force us to give black candidates a chance to interview. It's up to their own performance and reputation.

In fact, I would argue that the Rooney Rule not only doesn't help black coaches, but hurt them further by labeling them as not just potential coaches, but BLACK coaches. I won't speak for everyone, but I personally don't look at players as black players and white players anymore. They're just players. That's why I hate it when idiots like Bob Costas think they're being so politically correct by mentioning that Gabby Douglas was the first black Olympic gymnist to achieve blah blah blah. No one even thought about her being black until he had to shine a big ol spotlight on it. With comments like those our society is not moving forward as he intended, but going backwards. We strive to be color blind, and that's how we can achieve true racial harmony, not by purposely collecting a specimen for each race and call ourselves equal opportunity. Ever seen those commercials where they so obviously put a group together with a white guy and a black guy and a latina woman and an Asian woman in the same picture? Do they make you want to puke?

The Rooney Rule has outlived its intentions. It's time to abolish it altogether and interview whomever we think best qualify for the job regardless of what they look like.

[/preach]

DraftBoy
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I hate this entire thread. Rooney Rule is absolutely necessary.

notacon
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
I would agree with the Rooney Rule 10 or more years ago. But in this day and age of professional football, the Rooney Rule serves the opposite effect. We've come a long way since the days of good ol boys Buddy Ryan Don Shula clubs. With guys like Tony Dungy Art Shell Dennis Green Ray Rhodes to break the glass ceiling, we're now seeing more and more QUALIFIED coaches that are respected for what they can do and not as token black coaches, Leslie Fraizer Mike Tomlin etc. We no longer need a rule to force us to give black candidates a chance to interview. It's up to their own performance and reputation.

In fact, I would argue that the Rooney Rule not only doesn't help black coaches, but hurt them further by labeling them as not just potential coaches, but BLACK coaches. I won't speak for everyone, but I personally don't look at players as black players and white players anymore. They're just players. That's why I hate it when idiots like Bob Costas think they're being so politically correct by mentioning that Gabby Douglas was the first black Olympic gymnist to achieve blah blah blah. No one even thought about her being black until he had to shine a big ol spotlight on it. With comments like those our society is not moving forward as he intended, but going backwards. We strive to be color blind, and that's how we can achieve true racial harmony, not by purposely collecting a specimen for each race and call ourselves equal opportunity. Ever seen those commercials where they so obviously put a group together with a white guy and a black guy and a latina woman and an Asian woman in the same picture? Do they make you want to puke?

The Rooney Rule has outlived its intentions. It's time to abolish it altogether and interview whomever we think best qualify for the job regardless of what they look like.

[/preach]

I vehemently disagree.

How old are you?

notacon
12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
BTW...the Rooney rule does not interfere with hiring the best qualified for the job.

And, my question about your age is a serious one. I was born in 1955. I suspect that we have vastly different perspectives.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I vehemently disagree.

How old are you?

How minority are you?

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 02:29 PM

How minority are you?
My asking about your race is a serious question as well. It makes a perspective very different when you're looking from one side or the other.

IMO a white person deciding how to best allow opportunities for minorities is like a man deciding whether women need birth control. Good intentions but not qualified.

Fixxxer
12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Yeah, me too. Bye bye Bob Sanders, Catavolos and every underachiever we kept recycling. Feel bad for Metzellaars though.

notacon
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
My asking about your race is a serious question as well. It makes a perspective very different when you're looking from one side or the other.

IMO a white person deciding how to best allow opportunities for minorities is like a man deciding whether women need birth control. Good intentions but not qualified.

I disagree with your assessment about white man "deciding" how to best "allow" opportunities to be way off base too. I don't know you from Adam, but I sense a race problem here.

I'm white.

I spent much of my growing up in the 60's in a transitional neighborhood. When we moved in 1961 when I was 6, the East side of Buffalo was 100% white. By the time I left for college in 1973 it was 50-60% black. I attended a middle school that was heavily integrated....about 50% black and 50% white.

So....my "awareness" and formative years were during the civil rights movement times in the 60's. I remember the day Martin Luther King was shot like it was yesterday. i was 13.

You grew up during the very late 70's and, mostly the 80's. Very different time.

The point is not a white man "deciding how best to allow opportunities for minorities"....it's about breaking up the stranglehold entrenched whites hold in power and status.

It's is mind boggling to me that not until 2012 we had a black female winning an Olympic Gold medal in gymnastics. You are annoyed for it even being brought up. I think that shows an insensitivity of a privileged white guy who cannot relate to the very real struggles that racial bigotry has wrought on this country.

Still, to this very day, blacks have to achieve MORE than their white counterparts to be taken seriously. You have to look nowhere further than the White House.

White bigots like Rush Limbaugh stated plainly that the only reason Obama won was because he was black. Obama's school record has been questioned. I have heard many, many white commentators say he's "stupid"....and only got to where he is because of "affirmative action".

All manifestations of blatant racial bigotry. And that's not including what literally millions of white think about blacks and how they express those feelings outside the public eye.

There are huge racial problems in this country. For a league where about 90% of the players are black, there are still only a handful of blacks in coaching.

I abhor your attitude (as espoused in your posts....I really do not know what's in your heart).

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
I admire and share your desire for racial equality. But I disagree with you that race is as huge of a problem now as you seem to think that it is. So I think that is where our views of what actions are still needed to be taken are different, where our goals are exactly the same.

Also I do not pity those who use racial inequality as a trump card. Just because you're a minority does not mean you're owed any special treatment. If we keep catering to that all we're doing is enabling and breeding such an attitude, and Rooney Rule is an example of that. If you talk to minority parents you will hear most of them teach their kids to grow up to do their own best, treat everyone with respect, and let all the chips fall as they may on things that are not within their control. Oh? So you think you're owed something? How about you just do your best to earn it and stop worrying about crying not fair? Sometimes you get treated like crap just because that person is just a jerk and not because you're a minority. Deal with it and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

It's just my opinion, doesn't make you right or wrong. Let's just leave it at that. We may just have to agree to disagree.

kishoph
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Perry Fewell ?

bigbry
12-31-2012, 08:09 PM

Miyagi, you would need to work for and preform to a wage according to your knowledge. Are you willing to do that?

notacon
12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
I admire and share your desire for racial equality. But I disagree with you that race is as huge of a problem now as you seem to think that it is. So I think that is where our views of what actions are still needed to be taken are different, where our goals are exactly the same.

Also I do not pity those who use racial inequality as a trump card. Just because you're a minority does not mean you're owed any special treatment. If we keep catering to that all we're doing is enabling and breeding such an attitude, and Rooney Rule is an example of that. If you talk to minority parents you will hear most of them teach their kids to grow up to do their own best, treat everyone with respect, and let all the chips fall as they may on things that are not within their control. Oh? So you think you're owed something? How about you just do your best to earn it and stop worrying about crying not fair? Sometimes you get treated like crap just because that person is just a jerk and not because you're a minority. Deal with it and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

It's just my opinion, doesn't make you right or wrong. Let's just leave it at that. We may just have to agree to disagree.

That's cool. I understand where you're coming from. Things are probably not as bad as I perceive they are, and probably worse than you perceive it is related to race.

My young adult daughter's generation (they're 18 and 21) don't comprehend the reality of what I grew up in during the 60's. Attitudes are getting better as each older generation dies off. It's a good thing to see.

But, I do perceive that in some pockets, the barriers are still strong.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, like you said....although I think we're not as far apart as it may seem. Good to see your heart is in the right place. Thanks for being open and honest.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2013, 06:23 AM
I have no problem with the Rooney rule until they start interviewing dudes who have no shot at the job and know darn well the interview is just to fulfill the rule requirement. That's more insulting then the original racism that prompted the rule. They justify it by saying it gives valuable interview experience, but that's just whitewash.
ps, I'm black...errrr... Asian .... errrr.... Hispanic.... errrr..... White... errrrr...wait, here's what I am......
IM AN AMERICAN FOR GODS SAKE!

Night Train
01-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Interview Lovie at the airport and put him back on the plane home 10 minutes later, never to call him again.