PDA

View Full Version : Here's my theory - All that matters is an Elite QB or an Elite defense

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
They say you have the build the team from inside out, blah blah blah. My theory is all you need is either an elite QB or an elite defense.

Look at all the teams that are sustained powerhouses in recent years:

Patriots - Elite QB (Brady)
Baltimore - Elite defense (in SB years)
Pittsburgh - Elite defense (in SB years)
Giants - Elite defense (in SB years)
Denver - Elite defense last year, elite QB and defense this year
Falcons - Elite QB
Houston - Elite defense
SF - Elite defense
Seattle - Elite defense
Packers - Elite QB
Washington - Elite QB

I cannot think of a single team in the last 10-15 years that went all the way or come close to it to not have either on of these.

On the other side of the argument: what about elite RB or WR or other skill positions?

Arizona - Fitzgerald without elite QB, nothing
Viking - Peterson without elite QB or defense, barely anything
Lions - Megatron without elite QB or defense, nothing
Way back to Barry Sanders, nothing

Give up the house to get an elite QB, Buffalo.

Ingtar33
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
the Panthers got to the superbowl without an elite QB or defense. but your point stands.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
It's a legit theory IMO.

If you remember the comments from folks that thought Fitz was just fine... It was based around an elite defense.

We never built that defense.

I still want the legit stud QB.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
the Panthers got to the superbowl without an elite QB or defense. but your point stands.

I don't think the Giants, the second victory vs the Pats, had either. They just got hot at the right time and rolled off the momentum.

Ingtar33
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't think the Giants, the second victory vs the Pats, had either. They just got hot at the right time and rolled off the momentum.

yep. eli never really has put up elite numbers. And their 2nd superbowl team's defense was middling at best. They lucked out with a few timely drops and gronk being hurt... plus that defense as it's made is tailor-made to beat the pats.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
When teams stack the box to stop a dynamic RB like Spiller, you need a qb who can compliment him by making them pay with his arm. Fitz's wasn't that qb.

imbondz
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Eli is an elite QB. Not Brady/Brees/Rodgers elite, but still elite.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes there are a few outliers, but I'm talking about sustained powerhouses not one and dones (09 Cardinals, 06 Seahawks, etc)

Don't Panic
12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
So do we swing for the fences and trade up for Geno or should we keep adding to the D (cough, cough... MLB)? What should be our recipe?

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
We're tried for years to build the D. I think we have most of the players to make a good D, just need a field general MLB (damn it we had Fletcher and let him go).

Go for the QB I say. Haven't had one forever.

notacon
12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I think this theory is already outdated.

All a team needs is an elite QB. An elite defense, in and of itself, does not mean much these days.

Last year the Pats had the second worse defense in the league and was in the SB. This year, the best defensive team, Pittsburgh, is on the outside looking in.

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB....that's ALL that matters!!

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I think this theory is already outdated.

All a team needs is an elite QB. An elite defense, in and of itself, does not mean much these days.

Last year the Pats had the second worse defense in the league and was in the SB. This year, the best defensive team, Pittsburgh, is on the outside looking in.

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB....that's ALL that matters!!
Then how do you explain Houston, SF, and Seattle this year, or Chicago, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh in recent years? Plus, Pittsburgh has been competitve this year as well, just couldn't make it in a tough tough division.

EDS
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
They say you have the build the team from inside out, blah blah blah. My theory is all you need is either an elite QB or an elite defense.

Falcons - Elite QB
Houston - Elite defense
SF - Elite defense
Seattle - Elite defense
Packers - Elite QB
Washington - Elite QB

I cannot think of a single team in the last 10-15 years that went all the way or come close to it to not have either on of these.

On the other side of the argument: what about elite RB or WR or other skill positions?

Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning are both likely to go to the hall of fame, so to say they are not elite QBs is a stretch. Eli for sure is streaky, but he is unbeatable when he is on one of his streaks - which explains the two super bowl rings.

notacon
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Then how do you explain Houston, SF, and Seattle this year, or Chicago, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh in recent years? Plus, Pittsburgh has been competitve this year as well, just couldn't make it in a tough tough division.

Houston, SF and Seattle had QB's playing on an elite level....or pretty damn close. Smith last year for SF was at an elite level, especially in the playoffs. Houston has an elite QB. Seattle has a gem of a rookie that is playing at elite level.

Chicago hasn't done crap.

Baltimore has had decent level of QB play from Flacco. When not, they pretty much suck.

Pittsburgh has an elite QB.

It's all pretty clear.

look at the SB teams for the past number of years. All had either a flat out elite QB...Manning, Brady, E. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisburger. Even Seattle in 2006 had Hasselbeck, who was playing very close to elite.

The last 10 Super Bowl teams had the very elite of the elite playing QB. Every single winner had first or second best QB for that year, and those QB's played at an elite level during the playoffs.

It's been over 10 years since a defense carried a team to a SB win.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning are both likely to go to the hall of fame, so to say they are not elite QBs is a stretch. Eli for sure is streaky, but he is unbeatable when he is on one of his streaks - which explains the two super bowl rings.

Was Terry Bradshaw an elite QB? He's in the HOF.

He got lucky and rode one of the best defenses ever to 4 titles.

notacon
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Was Terry Bradshaw an elite QB? He's in the HOF.

He got lucky and rode one of the best defenses ever to 4 titles.

Huh?!?!? Yes, Terry Bradshaw was an elite QB. Hands down winner.

There was very little "luck" in him being QB for 4 titles.

In any event, it was a much different game back then. Much different.

I was a young adult when Bradshaw was playing. Were you alive then? (serious question).

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Houston, SF and Seattle had QB's playing on an elite level....or pretty damn close. Smith last year for SF was at an elite level, especially in the playoffs. Houston has an elite QB. Seattle has a gem of a rookie that is playing at elite level.

Chicago hasn't done crap.

Baltimore has had decent level of QB play from Flacco. When not, they pretty much suck.

Pittsburgh has an elite QB.

It's all pretty clear.

look at the SB teams for the past number of years. All had either a flat out elite QB...Manning, Brady, E. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisburger. Even Seattle in 2006 had Hasselbeck, who was playing very close to elite.

The last 10 Super Bowl teams had the very elite of the elite playing QB. Every single winner had first or second best QB for that year, and those QB's played at an elite level during the playoffs.

It's been over 10 years since a defense carried a team to a SB win.
Wow, you're calling Alex Smith and Flacco and Hasselbeck elite? Is Sanchez elite too?

Keep in mind I'm not talking one and dones. I'm talking about perpetually competitive teams. Seattle with Hasselbeck wasn't. Arizona with Warner wasn't. Fluke happens, any team could get hot at the right time and ride the momentum. But year in and year out Chicago was a powerhouse until the last couple years, Baltimore was unbeatable with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were younger. Yes I agree that elite QB also gives you a chance, ala my theory, but elite defenses can put you over the top too.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Huh?!?!? Yes, Terry Bradshaw was an elite QB. Hands down winner.

There was very little "luck" in him being QB for 4 titles.

In any event, it was a much different game back then. Much different.

I was a young adult when Bradshaw was playing. Were you alive then? (serious question).

I was alive for the tail end of his career and have seen plenty of highlights and older games...I used to sit and watch ESPN highlight shows and superbowl recap shows as a child for hours. Bradshaw was nothing special as a QB and was in the right place at the right time. The Steelers didn't win because of him and would have won those Superbowls with Terry Hanratty starting. I mean seriously Bradshaw complete less than 52% of his passes and threw just as many INTs as TDs.

Not too mention if a guy came along now who's career started out like Bradshaw's did, he'd be benched and out of the league after 3 seasons.

Yeah the game has changed from then but just because you win a Superbowl doesn't make you an elite QB.

Mike
01-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Falcons - Elite QB
Houston - Elite defense
SF - Elite defense
Seattle - Elite defense
Packers - Elite QB
Washington - Elite QB

Your not far from the Truth. Over the last 30 years there have only been 2 teams that have won a SB without having an elite QB and those teams had super elite Defenses. Super Elite, as in Historically Elite. The other 28 teams all have Great future HOF QBs. And yes, Rothlisbuerger and Eli are in that group.

I will go a step furhter and say the following: IF you have a team that lacks in Elite QB (or Super Elite Defense) you have almost No Chance of Winning a SB. Players like Rivers, Romo, Vick, Schaub, Flacco, Smith, Cutler, ... you know all of the Pro Bowl QBs that are very good but not that top tier, Do Not Win SuperBowls!!!! So for those fans that want Alex Smith, or the next Cutler, or Geno Smith know that the best you can hope for is a 10 year tease. That is coming close to going to the SB but never quite getting there like those 2000's Eagles and their four trips to the Championship game.

Last thing: Forget the Runners up, no one cares and history forgets them. ONLY the SB WINNERS Matter for Modeling purposes. After all, the losers were not good enough to win, so why would you want to model after their teams. Essentially, the losers were nothing more that historical teases, they teased their fans and had it almost right but not quite. Unequally, SB winners by and large have HOF QBs.