• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Here's my theory - All that matters is an Elite QB or an Elite defense

They say you have the build the team from inside out, blah blah blah. My theory is all you need is either an elite QB or an elite defense.

Look at all the teams that are sustained powerhouses in recent years:

Patriots - Elite QB (Brady)
    Baltimore - Elite defense (in SB years)
    Pittsburgh - Elite defense (in SB years)
    Giants - Elite defense (in SB years)
    Denver - Elite defense last year, elite QB and defense this year
    Falcons - Elite QB
    Houston - Elite defense
    SF - Elite defense
    Seattle - Elite defense
    Packers - Elite QB
    Washington - Elite QB

I cannot think of a single team in the last 10-15 years that went all the way or come close to it to not have either on of these.

On the other side of the argument: what about elite RB or WR or other skill positions?

Arizona - Fitzgerald without elite QB, nothing
    Viking - Peterson without elite QB or defense, barely anything
    Lions - Megatron without elite QB or defense, nothing
    Way back to Barry Sanders, nothing

Give up the house to get an elite QB, Buffalo.
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Here's my theory - All that matters is an Elite QB or an Elite defense

the Panthers got to the superbowl without an elite QB or defense. but your point stands.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

It's a legit theory IMO.

If you remember the comments from folks that thought Fitz was just fine... It was based around an elite defense.

We never built that defense.

I still want the legit stud QB.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
        the Panthers got to the superbowl without an elite QB or defense. but your point stands.
        I don't think the Giants, the second victory vs the Pats, had either. They just got hot at the right time and rolled off the momentum.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
          I don't think the Giants, the second victory vs the Pats, had either. They just got hot at the right time and rolled off the momentum.
          yep. eli never really has put up elite numbers. And their 2nd superbowl team's defense was middling at best. They lucked out with a few timely drops and gronk being hurt... plus that defense as it's made is tailor-made to beat the pats.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

When teams stack the box to stop a dynamic RB like Spiller, you need a qb who can compliment him by making them pay with his arm. Fitz's wasn't that qb.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• imbondz
              Democrats are people too
              • Jan 2003

Eli is an elite QB. Not Brady/Brees/Rodgers elite, but still elite.
              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                Yes there are a few outliers, but I'm talking about sustained powerhouses not one and dones (09 Cardinals, 06 Seahawks, etc)

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

So do we swing for the fences and trade up for Geno or should we keep adding to the D (cough, cough... MLB)? What should be our recipe?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

We're tried for years to build the D. I think we have most of the players to make a good D, just need a field general MLB (damn it we had Fletcher and let him go).

Go for the QB I say. Haven't had one forever.

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

I think this theory is already outdated.

All a team needs is an elite QB. An elite defense, in and of itself, does not mean much these days.

Last year the Pats had the second worse defense in the league and was in the SB. This year, the best defensive team, Pittsburgh, is on the outside looking in.

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB....that's ALL that matters!!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                        I think this theory is already outdated.

All a team needs is an elite QB. An elite defense, in and of itself, does not mean much these days.

Last year the Pats had the second worse defense in the league and was in the SB. This year, the best defensive team, Pittsburgh, is on the outside looking in.

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB....that's ALL that matters!!
                        Then how do you explain Houston, SF, and Seattle this year, or Chicago, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh in recent years? Plus, Pittsburgh has been competitve this year as well, just couldn't make it in a tough tough division.
                        Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                          They say you have the build the team from inside out, blah blah blah. My theory is all you need is either an elite QB or an elite defense.

Look at all the teams that are sustained powerhouses in recent years:

Patriots - Elite QB (Brady)
                          Baltimore - Elite defense (in SB years)
                          Pittsburgh - Elite defense (in SB years)
                          Giants - Elite defense (in SB years)
                          Denver - Elite defense last year, elite QB and defense this year
                          Falcons - Elite QB
                          Houston - Elite defense
                          SF - Elite defense
                          Seattle - Elite defense
                          Packers - Elite QB
                          Washington - Elite QB

I cannot think of a single team in the last 10-15 years that went all the way or come close to it to not have either on of these.

On the other side of the argument: what about elite RB or WR or other skill positions?

Arizona - Fitzgerald without elite QB, nothing
                          Viking - Peterson without elite QB or defense, barely anything
                          Lions - Megatron without elite QB or defense, nothing
                          Way back to Barry Sanders, nothing

Give up the house to get an elite QB, Buffalo.
                          Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning are both likely to go to the hall of fame, so to say they are not elite QBs is a stretch. Eli for sure is streaky, but he is unbeatable when he is on one of his streaks - which explains the two super bowl rings.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                            Then how do you explain Houston, SF, and Seattle this year, or Chicago, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh in recent years? Plus, Pittsburgh has been competitve this year as well, just couldn't make it in a tough tough division.
                            Houston, SF and Seattle had QB's playing on an elite level....or pretty damn close. Smith last year for SF was at an elite level, especially in the playoffs. Houston has an elite QB. Seattle has a gem of a rookie that is playing at elite level.

Chicago hasn't done crap.

Baltimore has had decent level of QB play from Flacco. When not, they pretty much suck.

Pittsburgh has an elite QB.

It's all pretty clear.

look at the SB teams for the past number of years. All had either a flat out elite QB...Manning, Brady, E. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisburger. Even Seattle in 2006 had Hasselbeck, who was playing very close to elite.

The last 10 Super Bowl teams had the very elite of the elite playing QB. Every single winner had first or second best QB for that year, and those QB's played at an elite level during the playoffs.

It's been over 10 years since a defense carried a team to a SB win.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                              Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning are both likely to go to the hall of fame, so to say they are not elite QBs is a stretch. Eli for sure is streaky, but he is unbeatable when he is on one of his streaks - which explains the two super bowl rings.
                              Was Terry Bradshaw an elite QB? He's in the HOF.

He got lucky and rode one of the best defenses ever to 4 titles.

Comment

Working...
                              X