• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

La Canfora: Bills expected to pursue Whisenhunt

Whisenhunt has ties to assistant general manager Doug Whaley from their time in Pittsburgh and is viewed by many execs as one of the top head coaches available.

Owner Ralph Wilson has hired off this coaching family tree before -- just released head coach Gailey worked for Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, as did Whisenhunt -- and Whisenhunt is expected to have multiple opportunities to interview for positions.
    -Bill
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: La Canfora: Bills expected to pursue Whisenhunt

Whisenhunt also served under Ted Marchibroda 97-98 while with the Ravens.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Give the guy a QB and he's very good. His D was far better than ours.

Can get his staff completed in minutes.

Check,check,check.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Have to believe Whisenhunt will be given some leeway in the eyes of GM's given the QB's they've had in Arizona lately.

Interesting. Not quite sure how I'd feel about him yet.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

At the time when the Bills was going to hire Mularkey, Cowher was going to replace Mularkey with Wisenhunt any way. Wisenhunt in subsequent years turned down a couple of HC interviews and even turned down out right the offer to be the Raiders head coach one year as he valued stability. When Cowher walked away and the Steelers interviewed both him and Grimm but ultimately gave the job to Tomlin, Wisenhunt bolted to the Cardinals, taking Grimm with him.

The one thing he has shown is that being an offensive guy going up the coaching ranks, he is able to do a good job on defense as a head coach (whether he knows something or able to hire a good people, I don't know). That's quite an upgrade from the last two HC the Bills had. But his choice of QBs in Arizona, other than Warner, left a lot to be desired.
          Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
            • Feb 2006

After the qb situation he had in AZ I doubt he would show much interest in the bills, especially if like say Chicago was calling

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

The QB situation is of his own doing. Leinart was drafted and the guy was a complete bust. Got lucky with Warner but Whisenhunt is Chan 2.0, thinks he can scheme around a ****ty QB and questionable OL. Whisenhunt never ****ing runs the ball either, at least Chan did that.

Big pass, I'd take his DC Horton over him in a heartbeat.

Comment

• zone
                No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                • Oct 2003

God, Andy Reid and Lovie Smith are out there and we are going after Whisenhunt.

Typical Bills.
                www.blzbus.com

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Do we want a hc who just got blown away by Seattle 58-0 ? Not even chan got an egg against Seattle
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    Do we want a hc who just got blown away by Seattle 58-0 ? Not even chan got an egg against Seattle
                    Chan didn't have that mess of an o-line or QB to work with either. I've my own problems with Whisenhunt, but lets not forget the man was coaching for the Bidwells. There is a reason the Cards have generally sucked for 50+ years. Those are the worst owners in the league. look at all the talent they let go and wouldn't resign because they're too cheap after the superbowl run. Frankly I think it's a minor miracle he's kept the team competitive since then.

Not saying he's my fav choice, only that we should be thankful if he even considers the job here... as he's head and shoulders better then anything we've had in a decade on the sidelines.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Cool, so we get rid of Gailey to go a step down with Whisenhunt. Typical.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        Chan didn't have that mess of an o-line or QB to work with either. I've my own problems with Whisenhunt, but lets not forget the man was coaching for the Bidwells. There is a reason the Cards have generally sucked for 50+ years. Those are the worst owners in the league. look at all the talent they let go and wouldn't resign because they're too cheap after the superbowl run. Frankly I think it's a minor miracle he's kept the team competitive since then.

Not saying he's my fav choice, only that we should be thankful if he even considers the job here... as he's head and shoulders better then anything we've had in a decade on the sidelines.
                        from what I've been reading around here you can replace the Bidwells' name with Wilson and it's the same thing. How long have the bills sucked? Our only claim to fame is 4 straight loses in the big and only game that mattered .At least the Bidwells won a sb. Besides don't just compare our O to theirs vs, the seahawks . He still got scored on for 58 points. Cant make excuses for that.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-31-2012, 11:56 PM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jeff1220
                          H to the 12:20
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                          Cool, so we get rid of Gailey to go a step down with Whisenhunt. Typical.
                          How would Whisenhunt (2 playoff appearances/SB appearance in the past 6 seasons), be a step down from Gailey? Please explain.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                            How would Whisenhunt (2 playoff appearances/SB appearance in the past 6 seasons), be a step down from Gailey? Please explain.
                            Because he simply didn't get anything done without Warner. His offense was bad, he didn't bring along his talent either. His OL was a disaster from the time he started till now and the only reason he got to the SB was extraordinary play from Warner and Fitzgerald.

At least Gailey took street FAs and turned them into solid football players not to mention all the late round picks that turned into something.

Comment

• zone
                              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                              Please explain.
                              2007: 8-8
                              2008: 9-7
                              2009: 10-6
                              2010: 5-11
                              2011: 8-8
                              2012: 5-11

You really want that?
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...