PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network sayiing the Bills are rumored to be Lovie Smiths top choice

Raptor
12-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Basically due to the talent on the roster. That is a drastic change from 3 years ago and its all due to the job Buddy Nix has done with the roster.

Heres an article saying he would be the best fit for the Bills http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120608/article/jon-gruden-to-chargers-predictions-for-coach-gm-openings

coastal
12-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Abba wears kittie cat dresses.

zone
12-31-2012, 07:52 PM
This would be the best New Years ever if that happened.

RedEyE
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Pass

Raptor
12-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Lovie Smith never managed to get the Chicago Bears (http://www.nfl.com/teams/chicagobears/profile?team=CHI) over the hump in his nine seasons with the team, but it's not often that a coach loses his job (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears) following a double-digit win season.It stands to reason that Smith's résumé will make him an attractive candidate on the open market.NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Smith plans to coach in 2013 and is very interested in vacancies in Arizona and Buffalo. Both the Cardinals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI) and Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) have legitimate defensive talent already in place, making them a natural fit with Smith's sensibilities.It's a match on paper, though it remains to be seen if the teams have a mutual interest.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120661/article/lovie-smith-targets-arizona-cardinals-buffalo-bills?campaign=Twitter_atl

Mr Bills
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Lovie is also good friends with Gil Byrd who he hired on two different occasions. If he gets hired, theirs a good chance Gil Byrd will be hired as well for secondary coach... or even DC?

Generalissimus Gibby
12-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Lovie for Defensive Coordinator and HC, but the OC has to be his own boss and a good qb is a must. Yes, Lovie took the Bears to a sb with a lousy qb and a conference title game and several playoffs with another but he should not have any say over offense.

Night Train
12-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Kept changing coordinators to save himself. Seems like a figurehead coach and hasn't a clue about offense.

Don't see the attraction at all.

Crisis
12-31-2012, 08:30 PM
I'll take him if he comes with Norv Turner running the offense. That's a pipedream though.

Actually, I'd take him either way.. but preferably with someone who can run an offense.

billsfanryan
12-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll take him if he comes with Norv Turner running the offense. That's a pipedream though.

Actually, I'd take him either way.. but preferably with someone who can run an offense.

That's a pipedream but man would it be awesome..

Extremebillsfan247
12-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Basically due to the talent on the roster. That is a drastic change from 3 years ago and its all due to the job Buddy Nix has done with the roster. Heres an article saying he would be the best fit for the Bills http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120608/article/jon-gruden-to-chargers-predictions-for-coach-gm-openings My cousin, and someone I follow on twitter who are both Bears fans have heard similar rumors about Lovie Smith and the Bills. He apparently wants a team with a good core of defensive players. He's a defensive minded coach which is why Arizona and Buffalo top his list from what I've been told. Cardinals are said to be bringing in Andy Reid and Mike McCoy for interviews. It will be an interesting couple of weeks around here. lol

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Dude gets canned and he has a list? No thanks on someone who just got canned.

Extremebillsfan247
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Dude gets canned and he has a list? No thanks on someone who just got canned. The Bills have 1 winning season in 8 years. Lovie Smith is looking pretty good right now in my opinion. If the rumor is even half true, it's not a bad thing. At least someone is rumored to even be interested in this job. I'll take it.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Dude gets canned and he has a list? No thanks on someone who just got canned.

Superbowl appearance with Ress Gross man, and a couple other trips to the NFC title game and several playoff berths? ****, he'd be the most complete coach this team has had since at least Wade Philips.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Smith would be a good choice. I think our defensive personnel would do well in his defense. Actually I think Aaron Williams would thrive as a CB in his scheme not to mention Gilmore and Byrd and our 4 DL who would be perfect fits.

Only thing he would need is a MLB with range and instincts.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Ahhhhhh.... I see... The ol anything is better then what we got syndrome.... Just like I don't want someone's cast off qb, I don't want anyone's cast off coach.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Ahhhhhh.... I see... The ol anything is better then what we got syndrome.... Just like I don't want someone's cast off qb, I don't want anyone's cast off coach.

Belichick was a cast off so was Coughlin.

Extremebillsfan247
12-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Ahhhhhh.... I see... The ol anything is better then what we got syndrome.... Just like I don't want someone's cast off qb, I don't want anyone's cast off coach. Oh! well what we want, and what we will get are almost always 2 different things. 1 is often in line with fantasy, while the other lives in cold harsh reality. 13 years without a postseason to add to the growing list of Coachs who have failed here doesn't do this team any favors in terms of attracting talent at the coaching position. You get what you can get. That's all this team can do until it gets lucky and starts winning again. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

SpillerThrills
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM

yes Smith was just let go, but he was let go after a 10-6 season..... I think that's a bit better than the 6-10 seasons we are used to.....

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2012, 11:16 PM
wouldnt mind this at all. very good for the d, similar scheme, personnel. also i bet shepp and bradham improve dramatically under lovie. jmo... very young secondary with solid talent....

makings of a great oline, solid 1 in stevie, great rb in spiller...

if we get lovie, i want to bring in vick or smith as a stop gap, ( i prefer smith) and a real oc... like norv...

best situation

lovie-hc
norv-oc

bring in alex smith

draft a top qb in rd 1 or 2

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2012, 11:17 PM
guy hasnt had a losing season in 3 years...

but we need a qb...

Jeff1220
12-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Lovie would be an excellent choice, especially if he can land a decent OC. He's not strictly a C2 guy anymore; he has adapted with the game, adding more man coverage, etc. The Bears are not exactly known to have the best FO...Lovie has done well with what he has had to work with. Looking back on the past 9 years, I'm sure any Bills fan would be much happier with a few PO appearances, including a trip to the Super Bowl.

Buddo
01-01-2013, 04:32 AM
I think he's a legit candidate, and wouldn't be at all upset if we got him.
The big rider is who would be his OC.
I feel he had to put up with a lot of crap when D'Angelo was the GM, and unless he hit the playoffs this year, he was probably done, due to the change in GM.
The guy knows his D for sure, and I would reckon he could get the best out of our guys. The likelihood of Gil Byrd coming with him, would just be an added bonus, where it certainly would be an added incentive for Jairus to re-sign.
While the OC would definitely be an 'issue', suffice it to say, that the talent pool has quite a few more bodies in it, as of yesterday, and there will be guys available, who will be capable OCs. While Lovie hasn't exactly had great offences at Chicago, he also has likely been hampered by the unavailability of good OCs. He's also been hampered by a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, which wasn't exactly down to him.
I certainly feel that he's a far more legitimate candidate than the Bills have had, for years, and if he actually is liking what he sees on the talent side of things, you have a decent situation, to begin with.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Everyone who hated Jauron would hate Lovie just as much.

We'd be better defensively and a joke offensively. He had Cutler and Forte in Chicago and couldn't crack the top 15 overall on offense. We have no QB. We'll be brutal offensively.

Lovie would juggle OC's every year or two and we'd have absolutely no continuity on that side of the ball.

pmoon6
01-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Lovie Smith? Anything short of Bill Cowher and I'll be pissed. Might be the 49's for me.

GreedoII
01-01-2013, 07:52 AM
but he had Culter...Marshall....Forte. The o-line was a big prb and bad DC's

I think he's a legit candidate, and wouldn't be at all upset if we got him.
The big rider is who would be his OC.
I feel he had to put up with a lot of crap when D'Angelo was the GM, and unless he hit the playoffs this year, he was probably done, due to the change in GM.
The guy knows his D for sure, and I would reckon he could get the best out of our guys. The likelihood of Gil Byrd coming with him, would just be an added bonus, where it certainly would be an added incentive for Jairus to re-sign.
While the OC would definitely be an 'issue', suffice it to say, that the talent pool has quite a few more bodies in it, as of yesterday, and there will be guys available, who will be capable OCs. While Lovie hasn't exactly had great offences at Chicago, he also has likely been hampered by the unavailability of good OCs. He's also been hampered by a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, which wasn't exactly down to him.
I certainly feel that he's a far more legitimate candidate than the Bills have had, for years, and if he actually is liking what he sees on the talent side of things, you have a decent situation, to begin with.

DynaPaul
01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Lovie - No. Maybe as a DC and that's about it.

Raptor
01-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Lovie Smith? Anything short of Bill Cowher and I'll be pissed. Might be the 49's for me.

Them go because anyone who thinks Bill Cowher is coming here after we fired his friend/coaching recommendation Gailey is a flat out idiot

and I try to limit the amount of stupid people I interact with

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 10:15 AM
It has been confirmed this morning that Lovie Smith has contacted the Bills and expressed interest in the Head Coaching gig. That is according to WGR550.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Far better Lovie !

http://chexydecimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/natalie-schafer.jpg

Ingtar33
01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
ugh. Lovie no thanks. He's basically a rich man's Jauron.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
yes Smith was just let go, but he was let go after a 10-6 season..... I think that's a bit better than the 6-10 seasons we are used to.....

A 10-6 season in which he was 7-1 in the NFC's #2 seed with a 99% chance of playoffs. That was one of the most epic team collapses ever.

Lovie wouldn't be screaming from the rooftops awful, but I can't see why people are so enthused about him.

Mr. Miyagi
01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Oh HELL NO on Lovie. I've been paying a lot of attention to Chicago the last few seasons and Lovie has been as bad as Jauron in terms of lack of passion, playing not to lose, wishy-washy personnel decisions, and polite golf clap "we did the best we could" type of BS attitude.

NO NO NO NO NO

Syderick
01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
He wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

Historian
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
another bum.

Bert102176
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
wouldnt mind this at all. very good for the d, similar scheme, personnel. also i bet shepp and bradham improve dramatically under lovie. jmo... very young secondary with solid talent....

makings of a great oline, solid 1 in stevie, great rb in spiller...

if we get lovie, i want to bring in vick or smith as a stop gap, ( i prefer smith) and a real oc... like norv...

best situation

lovie-hc
norv-oc

bring in alex smith

draft a top qb in rd 1 or 2

I like all you said but no to Vick and no to Smith

Extremebillsfan247
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
If you like Quarterbacks, you won't want Lovie Smith coaching this team. JMO

Mahdi
01-02-2013, 07:27 AM

We'd be better defensively and a joke offensively. He had Cutler and Forte in Chicago and couldn't crack the top 15 overall on offense. We have no QB. We'll be brutal offensively.

Lovie would juggle OC's every year or two and we'd have absolutely no continuity on that side of the ball.

Lovie is nothing like Jauron. Lovie is a cover 2 guy but that's about all they have in common. Lovie mixes his coverages and is also willing to send blitzes all day if he has to.

Lovie just didn't have an OL worth anything since he got there. Their GM is at fault for not building a proper offense, especially the OL.

Ingtar33
01-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Lovie is nothing like Jauron. Lovie is a cover 2 guy but that's about all they have in common. Lovie mixes his coverages and is also willing to send blitzes all day if he has to.

Lovie just didn't have an OL worth anything since he got there. Their GM is at fault for not building a proper offense, especially the OL.
if you've seen a bears game you'll know that Lovie is one of the worst game day coaches in the nfl. He's exactly like golf clapping Jauron.

better days
01-02-2013, 08:38 AM

I agree with you Mahdi. The OL in Chicago is almost as bad as Phillys. They have Marshall at WR & no other WR to go with him. The many injuries Chicago had led to their demise this year, not Lovies Coaching.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 09:07 AM

:rofl:

They had one of the top 3 centers in the game during almost all of Lovie's tenure there, Olin Kreutz. They've always had at least 1 first round pick on the line. Cutlers been sacked less than 3 times per game over his entire career in Chicago. Rex Grossman was sacked even less. But it's the fault of their o-line that their offense has only been higher than middle of the pack in scoring ONCE since Lovie was there?

Maybe it's their run blocking you're alluding to being terrible then. Wait, Forte has a 4.2 ypc average over his career.

The fault of their offense is Lovie juggled OC's almost yearly lately. In the past 4 seasons the Bears have had 3 different OC's. Ron Turner, Mike Martz and Mike Tice.

And he goes into a shell in late game tight game situations and plays not to lose.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
:rofl:

They had one of the top 3 centers in the game during almost all of Lovie's tenure there, Olin Kreutz. They've always had at least 1 first round pick on the line. Cutlers been sacked less than 3 times per game over his entire career in Chicago. Rex Grossman was sacked even less. But it's the fault of their o-line that their offense has only been higher than middle of the pack in scoring ONCE since Lovie was there?

Maybe it's their run blocking you're alluding to being terrible then. Wait, Forte has a 4.2 ypc average over his career.

The fault of their offense is Lovie juggled OC's almost yearly lately. In the past 4 seasons the Bears have had 3 different OC's. Ron Turner, Mike Martz and Mike Tice.

And he goes into a shell in late game tight game situations and plays not to lose.

He also bungles things. Remember the NFC title game where Cutler got hurt? At the time, the old 3rd QB rule was in place. If you put the 3rd QB in before the 4th quarter, neither of the two starters can play again. He foolishly benched Collins for Hanie with about :40 left in the 3rd so he could hand the ball off to Forte, and thus lost the use of Collins for the rest of the game. That could have been a catastrophic mental error.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm OK with Lovie Smith but I do not want the crappy Cover2 back in Buffalo.

K-Gun
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
The article says "The Bills are Lovie Smith's top choice."

It doesn't say "Lovie Smith is the Bills op choice."

The point here is creating the perception where the Bills are headed in the direction where they can pick and choose who they want because they are viewed as a place people want to be.

Mahdi
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm OK with Lovie Smith but I do not want the crappy Cover2 back in Buffalo.

Worked for the Bears and Colts and Bucs. We just didn't have the right players for it. We do now, assuming we add another DE and MLB.

EDS
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Basically due to the talent on the roster. That is a drastic change from 3 years ago and its all due to the job Buddy Nix has done with the roster.

Heres an article saying he would be the best fit for the Bills http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120608/article/jon-gruden-to-chargers-predictions-for-coach-gm-openings

Where in that article does it say the Bills are Lovie's top choice or if he even has any interest in the job?

Mouldsie
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
When he has a semi-healthy roster he ends up in the playoffs and winning games there very consistently, despite less talent.

I would welcome him here, and like others have mentioned his great downfall has been not having a great offensive staff so if we can bring in a guy like Norv Turner and keep some of our offensive assistants around then that issue may be resolved.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Just remember, anyone can have a good defense with Urlacher anchoring it.

Mouldsie
01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
He also had a bunch of nobodies in STL that led the league in turnovers under him. Seems to be a theme with his D. Even in years Urlacher misses games.

Mahdi
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM

He turned Tim Jennings who was a nobody CB into a PBer. Smith knows how to coach defense and to get his defense playing as a unit. And as I mentioned before, he also is not rigid about his scheme. He will blitz a lot if he has to or wants to.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Worked for the Bears and Colts and Bucs. We just didn't have the right players for it. We do now, assuming we add another DE and MLB.
I just hope he's not locked into the scheme. I think it can be used successfully as long as its not the primary mode for the defense.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
He turned Tim Jennings who was a nobody CB into a PBer. Smith knows how to coach defense and to get his defense playing as a unit. And as I mentioned before, he also is not rigid about his scheme. He will blitz a lot if he has to or wants to.

Dick Jauron turned Mike Brown into a star at Safety.

And Urlacher was a Jauron guy who played his best ball while Jauron was there.

Your point?

ublinkwescore
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Cutler is an overrated primadonna wannbe