2007: 8-8
2008: 9-6
2009: 11-5
2010: 10-6
2011: 8-8
2012: 4-12

TrEd FTW
01-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Whisenhunt accomplished nothing in Arizona without Warner. Luckily, there's only baseless speculation linking him to the Bills as of now. So far, he hasn't booked an interview like Marrone and Horton supposedly have. Let's hope it stays that way.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2013, 03:12 AM
very, very few coaches are good without a qb. the guy went to a sb with a very good qb... and probably should have won.

the goal is to get a coach who had serious success and get a qb

Mike
01-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Living in AZ this much I can say, if you give Whisenhunt an All Pro team he might be able to take them to the promise land however when it comes to player selection and development he is as lost as a blind man trying to describe an elephant. The GM in AZ along with KW had one horrible draft after another and after FA & retirement took a lot of AZs good players away they were not even close to being competitive.

Biggest Draft day blunder was Passing on Adrian Peterson for a RT that did not pan out! With AP in the line up I believe the Cards would have beaten the Steelers handedly in the SB...

zone
01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Look at his record in what was the worst division of football.

gebobs
01-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Whisenhunt accomplished nothing in Arizona without Warner.
Someone call Sav-Rite and see if Warner is ready to come back. Immediate upgrade.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Reid accomplished nothing without McNabb
Belichek accomplished nothing without Brady
Dungy accomplished nothing without Manning
Shannahan accomplished nothing without Elway

These are essentially the same argument as "Whisenhunt accomplished nothing without Warner"
All this tells me is anybody needs a good QB to win.

ZAZusmc03
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Russ is flying out to Arizona this afternoon, he just said on WGR.

- - - Updated - - -

X-Era
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Is Whisenhunt better than Gailey? Does the SB trip make him so?

zone
01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Is Whisenhunt better than Gailey? Does the SB trip make him so?

No and no, I would rather have Gailey. Arizona has been a terrible, terrible team. WE BEAT THEM!

kishoph
01-01-2013, 02:32 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And ? The president of a NFL team is not going to fly across country just to talk to an unemployed coach, has anyone thought that Chip Kelly is in Arizona for the Fiesta bowl. Sure they may interview Whisenhunt, but that is not the reason they flew to Arizona, if there wasn't another reason, Whisenhunt would have came to Buffalo, just like every other coaching prospect that isn't tied up will do.

Raptor
01-01-2013, 02:40 PM
People need to stop acting like every interview is a hired done deal proposition

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm more worried that Whisenhunt likes 3-4 defense. We cannot afford another change there.

cookie G
01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Meh, I don't know how he got them to 10 wins, much less a SB, much less 2 winning seasons, much less 4 seasons with at least a .500 record.

You're talking about a franchise that had 1 winning season in the previous 21 before he got there. If there is a worse run franchise than the Bills, its the Cards.

If you can make the Cards win, you get bonus points, IMO.

Novacane
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Pass

BLeonard
01-01-2013, 04:09 PM
So, we'd be hiring a coach that has a grand total of two more wins over the past three seasons than Chan Gailey does?

The same coach that finished 5-11 this year, being beat by the coach we just fired?

The same coach that couldn't win in the NFC West, when the Seattle Seahawks finished 7-9 and won the Division?

Sorry, I don't want any coaches that were just fired from a team that went 1-11 over their past 12 games.

-Bill

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm sure they're going to interview Ray Horton, the hottest name among assistants & a guy who is on everyone's list to interview. The reason he's on everyone's list is that the minute they finish interviewing him, they can go & hire the guy they really want. He's the new Jerry Gray.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Hell friggen NO

bills4ver
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
if they even interview Whisenhunt they got issues the guys is worse than Gailey not a upgrade in any way.

Good luck selling that to the fans, we got a coach with experience lol

Yeah losing experience we had that already.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
if they even interview Whisenhunt they got issues the guys is worse than Gailey not a upgrade in any way.

Good luck selling that to the fans, we got a coach with experience lol

Yeah losing experience we had that already.

They hire anyone less than Smith, Reid, or Cowher and I will not watch this team for the forseeable future.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Wow many of you have no idea how badly run the Cardinals are.

Novacane
01-01-2013, 04:47 PM

So you'd be happy with Wisenhunt?

kingJofNYC
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM

You think the GM traded what he did for Kolb without any input from Whisenhunt?

I know the Bidwells are terrible, but they just landed Reid and Heckert. Whisenhunt doesn't run the ball, relies on his scheme to make up for his QBs ability, and doesn't feel you need talent on the OL. They went to the SB with Mike Gandy on the OL, haven't had a decent player on the line for years, thought Grimm could coach them up.

This sounds oddly familiar...

Typ0
01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
These guys are not going to hire Weisen****.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
They hire anyone less than Smith, Reid, or Cowher and I will not watch this team for the forseeable future.

Reid is going to Arizona. Cowher would never come here or probably anywhere again.

Lovie Smith is a average DC that got a HC job. Chicago was at one time 7-1 this year with a 99% chance of making the playoffs. Show me their upcoming playoff game this coming weekend.

It's called a collapse without a clue what to do. Lovie is a horrible HC candidate.

zone
01-01-2013, 05:13 PM

With that argument we should have never fired Gailey, how badly were/are we run?

Do you remember how bad the NFC West was? He should have won 6 games automatically just in his division. He would get murdered in the AFC East.

Novacane
01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
These guys are not going to hire Weisen****.

I don't think so either. Not after Bradon talked about the tainted brand. This would not sell at all with the fan base.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
So you'd be happy with Wisenhunt?

Very happy.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
there is an entire staff of people there out of work. It's a good strategy to go there and talk to them all and get a feel for what's on the market.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
With that argument we should have never fired Gailey, how badly were/are we run?

Do you remember how bad the NFC West was? He should have won 6 games automatically just in his division. He would get murdered in the AFC East.

Gailey was fired because he doesn't know how to use his own players, not the same argument as organizational disaster.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
You think the GM traded what he did for Kolb without any input from Whisenhunt?

I know the Bidwells are terrible, but they just landed Reid and Heckert. Whisenhunt doesn't run the ball, relies on his scheme to make up for his QBs ability, and doesn't feel you need talent on the OL. They went to the SB with Mike Gandy on the OL, haven't had a decent player on the line for years, thought Grimm could coach them up.

This sounds oddly familiar...

No but I think the owner pushed like they pushed Leinart having to start after spending big bucks on him and drafting him high.

Been confirmed Heckert is not going there.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
La Canfora reports dinner with Whiz tonight, Horton tomorrow and Kelly possibly after the bowl game. The Fiesta Bowl is Thursday so that would indicate the Bills will spend multiple days in Arizona.

Demon
01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Gailey was fired because he doesn't know how to use his own players, not the same argument as organizational disaster.

Not being able to locate and give Gailey a QB isn't considered "organizational disaster"? They passed up on Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. All would of given Gailey a better chance to win rather then going with Fitzpatrick.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
La Canfora reports dinner with Whiz tonight, Horton tomorrow and Kelly possibly after the bowl game. The Fiesta Bowl is Thursday so that would indicate the Bills will spend multiple days in Arizona.

There are a number of factors, like fan support, scouting staffing, etc. A numer of issue with teh Cardinals.

My biggest concern with Gailey is that he's so much one sided, showing no interest nor desire on the other side of the ball. He's the head coach, not an OC. And then he hires bad people for DC, showing bad skills in building a staff. The thing about Whisenhunt is that he is able to get good people coaching the defensive side the ball. During his time in Arizona, he really changed the attitude of the team. For which Gailey's "Tough game for tough people" message never really got into his players, especially young players (like Darius) minds for 3 years. Some of Whisenhunt's wins, even in down years, were impressive. The Bills never won in NE for over 10 years. His team did.

I do, however, has concerns about his ability to develop QBs. And that is a big one.

Bangarang
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Did you see the kind of talent he had to work with? His QB was Skelton and Lindley and his offensive line was put together by plugging guys in from community colleges. He didn't have any kind of running game and his best player, Fitzgerald, wasn't getting the ball.

People are looking at this record and not the product he was given to work with.

zone
01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
There are a number of factors, like fan support, scouting staffing, etc. A numer of issue with teh Cardinals.

My biggest concern with Gailey is that he's so much one sided, showing no interest nor desire on the other side of the ball. He's the head coach, not an OC. And then he hires bad people for DC, showing bad skills in building a staff. The thing about Whisenhunt is that he is able to get good people coaching the defensive side the ball. During his time in Arizona, he really changed the attitude of the team. For which Gailey's "Tough game for tough people" message never really got into his players, especially young players (like Darius) minds for 3 years. Some of Whisenhunt's wins, even in down years, were impressive. The Bills never won in NE for over 10 years. His team did.

I do, however, has concerns about his ability to develop QBs. And that is a big one.

With all that said, WE beat them!

zone
01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Did you see the kind of talent he had to work with? His QB was Skelton and Lindley and his offensive line was put together by plugging guys in from community colleges. He didn't have any kind of running game and his best player, Fitzgerald, wasn't getting the ball.

People are looking at this record and not the product he was given to work with.

Boo hoo, at QB he has had a hall of famer, a #10 overall pick and one of the most sought after free agents in recent time. Not to mention his possible hall of fame wide receiver and one of the best defenses in the league.

And his team was terrible.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
With all that said, WE beat them!
The ball bounced our way that day. Remember the kick at the end of the game?

By the way, the Bills talentwise is better than them. We should beat them.

madness
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM

I do... of the team's three winning seasons the past 28 years, two came with Whisenhunt as coach.

ublinkwescore
01-01-2013, 08:47 PM

- - - Updated - - -

looks like my nfl football watching days are gonna be on at least another 3 year hiatus.

ublinkwescore
01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Not being able to locate and give Gailey a QB isn't considered "organizational disaster"? They passed up on Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. All would of given Gailey a better chance to win rather then going with Fitzpatrick.

Gailey could have won a lot more games if he would have just given CJ Spiller the god damn ball. he needed to go.

Beebe
01-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Whisenhunt is like chan offensive mind head coach but he had a better D. then us and still had a worst record then us, why would we want him we should of just keept chan then.We need a coach that's going to get good assistance and play good ball on both sides. Juaron couldn't score played better D. and Chan couldn't stop anybody but could score,we need to get it right this time.

Mahdi
01-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Reid accomplished nothing without McNabb
Belichek accomplished nothing without Brady
Dungy accomplished nothing without Manning
Shannahan accomplished nothing without Elway

These are essentially the same argument as "Whisenhunt accomplished nothing without Warner"
All this tells me is anybody needs a good QB to win.

Reid won games with Vick and Kolb. Wisenhunt got Kolb killed.

Belichick went 11-5 with Cassel

Dungy formed the best defense in an era in Tampa Bay and laid the way for Gruden to come in and finish it off, then went on and did the same thing with the Colts defense although not as dominant.

Shanahan has won games with several QBs and is doing it again with a rookie.

I want a coach that brings a marked identity to his team. Dungy and Lovie are masters of the cover 2. Shanahan brings a zone scheme with great play-action and amazing play calling.

Reid is a west coast guru and master play caller who makes QBs better. Wisenhunt has no particular skill. He was Ben Roth's OC which means not much considering half of Ben's plays are drawn up as he goes.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2013, 07:44 AM
God I would be SO PISSED if we hired Wisenhunt.

Hiring a coach who was fired by the laughing stock team of the league. Wow how pathetic could we be?

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
With the bills coming out and saying that Whaley is the next GM,he would get a head start by bringing in his own guy or someone he's familiar with and Whisenhunt is one of them. Brace yourselves.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
I'd love to see Whisenhunt as a coordinator but I think his HC abilities are sub par.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Listened to WGR interview of someone from nfl.com on Whisenhunt. Said he had to involve in personnel in Arizona for which he may not really like to do. I bet Nix and Whaley would love that attitude. Surprised to hear that he likes Buffalo's talent, especially on defense.

From what I hear in Pittsburgh, he's HC material and his reputation is such that he'll be a HC for sure, if not in Buffalo. He was very good X and O guy, even on defense. But I was surprised to see he got Cowher's attitude installed to the Cardinals (to be honest).

Say what you want about Nix's shortcomings. It appears now that around the league, the defensive players he drafted plus Mario, Anderson, making Bills noticed to would be HCs. On offense, we have a line and CJ. Overall, the team is very close to be able to compete.

kishoph
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't know how you can talk about analytics and interviewing Ken Whiesenhunt for head coach on the same day, maybe I don't understand analytics, but I thought it had to do with using statistics and patterns to make wise decisions. Would hiring a head coach with a losing record be a wise decision ?

jimmifli
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
3 winning seasons in 28 years. 2 of them belong to Wisenhunt. There are a lot of factors that go into a winning team and obviously QB is a big one. But so is organizational culture. And he managed to overcome a more inept culture than the one in Orchard Park and create a culture of winning, albeit temporarily. He was some Holmes tippy toes away from being a SB winning coach - with the Arizona ****ING Cardinals!

We could do a lot worse. As evidenced by our last 2 head coaches, scratch that our last 3, no wait I guess its our last 4, no... holy **** we've had some bad coaches.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 11:49 AM
You really can't judge a coach in today's league who does not have a good to great QB. Tell me what coach wins with the assortment of flotsam and jetsam ARZ has been trotting out there since Warner retired. It really is just that simple. I'm not a Gailey fan but seriously how far does a coach go with Fitz? People need to get some perspective. I would rather go with a coach that prefers power football to a spread in Buffalo NY but that's just me.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Reid won games with Vick and Kolb. Wisenhunt got Kolb killed.

Belichick went 11-5 with Cassel

Dungy formed the best defense in an era in Tampa Bay and laid the way for Gruden to come in and finish it off, then went on and did the same thing with the Colts defense although not as dominant.

Shanahan has won games with several QBs and is doing it again with a rookie.

I want a coach that brings a marked identity to his team. Dungy and Lovie are masters of the cover 2. Shanahan brings a zone scheme with great play-action and amazing play calling.

Reid is a west coast guru and master play caller who makes QBs better. Wisenhunt has no particular skill. He was Ben Roth's OC which means not much considering half of Ben's plays are drawn up as he goes.

Kolb sucks

I like Wisenhunt's pedigree and the style of football he'd bring here. Mike Shanahan was getting KILLED in the DC papers the last 2 years and then lo and behold this year he got smart again because he got a QB. Think people think.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't know how you can talk about analytics and interviewing Ken Whiesenhunt for head coach on the same day, maybe I don't understand analytics, but I thought it had to do with using statistics and patterns to make wise decisions. Would hiring a head coach with a losing record be a wise decision ?

I would agree with this line of reasoning if we were picking a coach to compete in a chess tournament against other coaches. If not it seems wise to me to consider some other moving parts.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
God I would be SO PISSED if we hired Wisenhunt.

Hiring a coach who was fired by the laughing stock team of the league. Wow how pathetic could we be?

Seriously? How is ARZ the laughingstock when we haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 13 years? Wisenhunt isn't my 1st choice but he sure as hell is an upgrade over Gailey.