PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith vs Rivers

Mike
01-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Its has come to my attention that quite a few of you -after taking a poll- hated the idea of giving up picks for Philip Rivers but now are willing to give up a first round pick for Alex Smith.

Really?

You like Alex Smith more than Rivers. This is the Alex Smith that got demoted from a team that was a few minutes away from a SB? When has that ever happened before that a SB contender after going to championship game almost let their QB walk in off season only later to replace him with a 2nd year 2nd rounder who went on to outplay him?

It has NEVER happened! Good teams usually have Good QBs and this means that the 49ers were a Great Team with an Average QB thus they are letting him GO! IF he is not Good enough for a team that has all the pieces in place, how in the world will he be good enough for the Bills and why would you give ANything up for such a player?

acehole
01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Because anyone you draft this year won't work either.

This team can not wait 2-3 year to develop a guy.

What other qb out there?

Answer those questions and you will get your answer.

Or prepare for another year of fitz.

I would go as high as # 1 in 2014 if he met certain goals so what...

He can run that offense we run.

Its has come to my attention that quite a few of you -after taking a poll- hated the idea of giving up picks for Philip Rivers but now are willing to give up a first round pick for Alex Smith.

Really?

You like Alex Smith more than Rivers. This is the Alex Smith that got demoted from a team that was a few minutes away from a SB? When has that ever happened before that a SB contender after going to championship game almost let their QB walk in off season only later to replace him with a 2nd year 2nd rounder who went on to outplay him?

It has NEVER happened! Good teams usually have Good QBs and this means that the 49ers were a Great Team with an Average QB thus they are letting him GO! IF he is not Good enough for a team that has all the pieces in place, how in the world will he be good enough for the Bills and why would you give ANything up for such a player?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
why the **** would the chargers trade rivers? lol

justasportsfan
01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm not one of them. Won't give up a 1st rd. pick for someone who isn't a franchise qb.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
No to Alex Smith. If Rivers becomes available, I'd hope the Bills would be in play for him.

justasportsfan
01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Because anyone you draft this year won't work either..tell that to Dalton, Kaepernick and Wilson.

Besides, if you don't have that qb in this years draft then I would rather use that pick on another position instead of wasting it on another qb like Smith who isn't a franchise qb.

acehole
01-01-2013, 01:45 PM
never said we should not draft one. Just that he would be more ready.

Just dont want to gamble next 2-3 years on a developmental guy...while all of our good player die on the vine.

Alex can play first down on first game.

tell that to Dalton, Kaepernick and Wilson.

Besides, if you don't have that qb in this years draft then I would rather use that pick on another position instead of wasting it on another qb like Smith who isn't a franchise qb.

BillsFever21
01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
This is just insane. Every year we get these crazy posts of people who says to either trade for, trade a player or sign a player way far above what their realistic value is. A couple years ago it was people saying give up a 1st round pick for Kolb or others who thought we could get a 2nd round pick for Jackson or that Stevie Johnson was worth 10+ million a year or last year some saying we should give up at least a 2nd round pick for Tebow

This organization is stupid but they aren't that bad that they would give up a Top 10 draft pick for Alex Smith. This is just the most irrational thing I've heard yet this offseason. At the most he may be worth a 4th and maybe another pick on top of it. Harbaugh was able to salvage him into a game manager and win some games with him. By being benched in the middle of the season while fighting for a 1st round bye should tell you all you need to know. All you need to do is look at his career and that should make your decision for you.

justasportsfan
01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Alex can play first down on first game.

and do what? manage a game?

acehole
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I would prefer conditional pick in 2014 as high as #1...but tell me if we blow our pick at Joe Unknown qb at 8 that we are not doing the same thing?

Lets hear you solution at qb also...we are waiting.

Fitz next year? Which first round qb would you like us to draft?

Flacco is staying put via tag or new deal....

It is a message board in off season should we just insult each other?

Love the critics of other posters...never seem to put any ideas on the table.

So benching breeze for rivers has to mean breeze sucks right?

This is just insane. Every year we get these crazy posts of people who says to either trade for, trade a player or sign a player way far above what their realistic value is. A couple years ago it was people saying give up a 1st round pick for Kolb or others who thought we could get a 2nd round pick for Jackson or that Stevie Johnson was worth 10+ million a year or last year some saying we should give up at least a 2nd round pick for Tebow

This organization is stupid but they aren't that bad that they would give up a Top 10 draft pick for Alex Smith. This is just the most irrational thing I've heard yet this offseason. At the most he may be worth a 4th and maybe another pick on top of it. Harbaugh was able to salvage him into a game manager and win some games with him. By being benched in the middle of the season while fighting for a 1st round bye should tell you all you need to know. All you need to do is look at his career and that should make your decision for you.

ThunderGun
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't sign Smith as a free agent, let alone give up a pick for him.

With Smith, we'd probably go 8-8 next year. I'd rather go 2-12 and get the #1 pick.

Bert102176
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Why not look into TJ Yates from the texans maybe a 2nd or a 3rd rd pick for him and we probably will look to draft a qb in the second why not one that played half the season and played good

Bert102176
01-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Smith is not good, rivers I wouldn't give up more then a 3rd for him possibly throw in a 3rd or 4th next year depending on how he plays

Bert102176
01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
I do like Ryan Nassib from Syracuse but if we can get Manti Te'o and get say rivers for what I suggested then we can use that 2nd round pick on a Wr, and we need a TE also we should cut Anderson make Carrington a starter next to kyle move dareus back to DE sign or draft backups I think a D-line of Williams, Williams, Carrington, and Dareus would be damn good with Bradham, Te'o, and another OLB via draft or free agency, and Gilmore, Williams, and Corner for CB's Byrd and a FA or draft pick for the safety positions that is how I would do my D

BillsFever21
01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
I would prefer conditional pick in 2014 as high as #1...but tell me if we blow our pick at Joe Unknown qb at 8 that we are not doing the same thing?

Lets hear you solution at qb also...we are waiting.

Fitz next year? Which first round qb would you like us to draft?

Flacco is staying put via tag or new deal....

It is a message board in off season should we just insult each other?

Love the critics of other posters...never seem to put any ideas on the table.

So benching breeze for rivers has to mean breeze sucks right?

I would rather draft somebody in the 2nd round since there won't be any highly touted QB's worth the #8 pick. There isn't a team in the NFL that would give that up for Alex Smith. The sad part is you're not joking around.

You probably wouldn't even have to give anything up for him. Most likely the 49ers will end up releasing him now that they went to Kapernick. There isn't a chance in hell they will keep him around to be the backup next year with his salary and especially after everything that transpired. Whatever trade value he would have is lowered even more because of that.

Smith was horrible for years and Harbaugh was good enough to turn him into a game manager and ask him not to turn the ball over or lose games for them. If he was that great they wouldn't have benched him in the middle of the season. If a game manager is what you're looking for then you can pick one of them up many places a lot cheaper and without having to use a draft pick let alone a 1st round draft pick.

Bert102176
01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Ur probaly wondering y I don't have barnett in at starting LB I think we need a younger faster guy there he can come in when or if we go 4Lb set

acehole
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Give a conditional pick? Whoop dee doo.

He will be called on by many teams.

I am not a fan for the record..but looks like he has more value then you think just posted in another thread...again then what is your solution at qb?
A second round qb?

Better then alex smith?

Lol

QUOTE=BillsFever21;3734181]I would rather draft somebody in the 2nd round since there won't be any highly touted QB's worth the #8 pick. There isn't a team in the NFL that would give that up for Alex Smith. The sad part is you're not joking around.

You probably wouldn't even have to give anything up for him. Most likely the 49ers will end up releasing him now that they went to Kapernick. There isn't a chance in hell they will keep him around to be the backup next year with his salary and especially after everything that transpired. Whatever trade value he would have is lowered even more because of that.

Smith was horrible for years and Harbaugh was good enough to turn him into a game manager and ask him not to turn the ball over or lose games for them. If he was that great they wouldn't have benched him in the middle of the season. If a game manager is what you're looking for then you can pick one of them up many places a lot cheaper and without having to use a draft pick let alone a 1st round draft pick.[/QUOTE]

ThunderGun
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Smith is not good, rivers I wouldn't give up more then a 3rd for him possibly throw in a 3rd or 4th next year depending on how he plays

I'd give a 2nd for Rivers in a heartbeat, but SD won't let him go. He's shown the potential to play really well. With a real coach (Norv is a joke), he could still be good.

ThunderGun
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I do like Ryan Nassib from Syracuse but if we can get Manti Te'o and get say rivers for what I suggested then we can use that 2nd round pick on a Wr, and we need a TE also we should cut Anderson make Carrington a starter next to kyle move dareus back to DE sign or draft backups I think a D-line of Williams, Williams, Carrington, and Dareus would be damn good with Bradham, Te'o, and another OLB via draft or free agency, and Gilmore, Williams, and Corner for CB's Byrd and a FA or draft pick for the safety positions that is how I would do my D

Wow, nailed it. I would love that offseason.

Mike
01-01-2013, 10:48 PM
why the **** would the chargers trade rivers? lol

2 reasons:
1) new regime may want their own guy
2) he will be owed something like $17M per year from here on out making him quite expensive.

If the new FO is not sold on him he will be on chopping block and they will look to move him. The other variant is that Rivers attracts a coach like Jon Grueden who is an QB expert and can turn the QB around to his previous pro bowl status.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2013, 02:45 AM
2 reasons:
1) new regime may want their own guy
2) he will be owed something like $17M per year from here on out making him quite expensive.

If the new FO is not sold on him he will be on chopping block and they will look to move him. The other variant is that Rivers attracts a coach like Jon Grueden who is an QB expert and can turn the QB around to his previous pro bowl status.

and who replaces rivers??? lol

alex smith will be our qb, and we have similar talent on o if we can get a nice te

acehole
01-02-2013, 09:50 AM
We have pretty good te's Nelson and chandler will be coming off injury.

You can draft a wr however.

and who replaces rivers??? lol

alex smith will be our qb, and we have similar talent on o if we can get a nice te

Bangarang
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Why not look into TJ Yates from the texans maybe a 2nd or a 3rd rd pick for him and we probably will look to draft a qb in the second why not one that played half the season and played good

Surely this is a joke.

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2013, 10:02 AM

Really?

Who in their right mind is saying they would give up a 1st rounder for Alex Smith??????

imbondz
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I think Smith is better than people are giving him credit for, I wouldn't give up too much, but would definitely be psyched if we got him. I am not sure he can recover after what the 49ers did to him, so he'll want to be traded. And when Colin chokes in the playoffs, Harbaugh will not look good. Alex had a 70.2% completion rate before he went down this year. 13 TDs vs. 5 INT

It's kinda like what we did to Flutie in '99 but Flutie never got injured, we just sat him cuz we'd already made the playoffs, then stabbed him in the back and front. ouch.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
isn't Alex Smith going to be a FA? Thought he signed a 1 year deal last year. I would have no interest in trading for him. Not interest in Rivers either. He seems like a soft player to me, like Tony Romo, finds a way to lose when it matters

ublinkwescore
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

is George Wilson's contract up or something?

Mike
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Who in their right mind is saying they would give up a 1st rounder for Alex Smith??????

Read the other threads as quite a few posters are ready to send the 49ers a 1st rounder. Now, weather they are in their right mind is very questionable.

acehole
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I would give a conditional 2014 pic that can go as high as a #1 based on performance yes.

I will just ask you a question and the answer will tell you something about this.

If we drafted qb from this draft at 8 would you be as shocked? pleased??

Ask Draftboy who will be available at 8 and if they are worth the gamble that could set us back 3-4 years?

Would you give that qb 1-2-3 years to develop?

What happened to bird? Johnson, williams in that time frame?

If he is released great...but there are other teams that will see the wisdom in Alex smith and just trade for him.

I mean 104 qb rating? 19 - 4? or do we keep fitz? or go with Joe Jr qb draft pic?

Not so crazy is it.

If I am the new coach my first call in SF.

Bert102176
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
is George Wilson's contract up or something?

I think so , but I think we need better either way he did cost us atleast 2games this year

Bert102176
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Surely this is a joke.

Why he played really well after schaub went down

Mike
08-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Bump

Was saying it 2 years ago when there was rumors that Rivers was available for trade...