PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wison Out Of Day To Day Operations- Brandon In Complete Charge

Night Train
01-01-2013, 08:55 AM
That's the noon presser, along with Nix staying as GM - Per WGR

Ralph Wilson - that is...

coastal
01-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Lolz

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Also, Doug Whaley will take over as GM when Nix steps down.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2013, 09:02 AM
ummm, ok.

didnt we already know this.

of course brandon would be running day to day business more, and whaley will eventually take over as gm.

how is this news?

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 09:04 AM
ummm, ok. didnt we already know this. of course brandon would be running day to day business more, and whaley will eventually take over as gm. how is this news? From what I'm hearing, Nix will be GM through the draft. Then Whaley gets his turn.

Buddo
01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
There is a major difference, in that Brandon has full say-so. It'll be his job, and not Ralph's, to rubber-stamp any moves. It will also be Brandon who decides what to pay for a HC, which might be the most significant change of all.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Not surprised by any of this. At least Brandon grew up a Bills fan and takes this personally. I trust him more than the indifferent owner in Detroit.

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I've also heard the Bills now are going to spare no expense in their coaching search and tops on their list is Chip Kelly and Jon Gruden supposedly.

coastal
01-01-2013, 09:11 AM
We haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. so you promote the people in charge!?

Lmao.

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
This just in from Howard Simon of WGR550 via Twitter, "I am told more than 2 dozen guys have called #bills to express interest in the job"

IlluminatusUIUC
01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
From what I'm hearing, Nix will be GM through the draft. Then Whaley gets his turn.

WHY!?! God I hate the Bills

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
So Ralph is just the money source? No say?

This raises more questions than answers.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 09:14 AM
This just in from Howard Simon of WGR550 via Twitter, "I am told more than 2 dozen guys have called #bills to express interest in the job"
Awesome.

That new lease showing stability and talking directly to Brandon changes everything

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:16 AM
So Ralph is just the money source? No say?

This raises more questions than answers.

This technically could be the succession plan Wilson has instead of selling the team or having a minority owner in place to fully take over...

After he passes on, his family would still retain ownership stake, but would do nothing to actually run the team with Brandon overseeing all of that.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
This technically could be the succession plan Wilson has instead of selling the team or having a minority owner in place to fully take over...

After he passes on, his family would still retain ownership stake, but would do nothing to actually run the team with Brandon overseeing all of that.So Ralph is now an investor?

Is this done anywhere else?

Cleve
01-01-2013, 09:19 AM
So this changes what? Some have claimed that Brandon was already running the team at the highest level.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:20 AM
So Ralph is now an investor?

It would be kinda like the Packers but owned by a family instead of the city/fans.

It kind of makes sense and would provide long term stability to the team being here indefinitely.

coastal
01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Chip Kelly is going to come work for this guy?

GingerP
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
It would be kinda like the Packers but owned by a family instead of the city/fans.

It kind of makes sense and would provide long term stability to the team being here indefinitely.

This issue isn't Ralph giving up control and not meddling. That is a good thing.

The issue is the guy he handed off control to. Putting Brandon in charge doesn't help at all.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Chip Kelly is going to come work for this guy?

16140Great question. I guess that depends on how big namers view Russ.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
This issue isn't Ralph giving up control and not meddling. That is a good thing.

The issue is the guy he handed off control to. Putting Brandon in charge doesn't help at all.

It doesn't hurt if the guy he handed off control to doesn't get involved in football decisions.

If this opens up the pocketbook and Russ just stays out of the way, it's no different than other organizations who have owners who don't meddle in the day to day football operations.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
It doesn't hurt if the guy he handed off control to doesn't get involved in football decisions.

If this opens up the pocketbook and Russ just stays out of the way, it's no different than other organizations who have owners who don't meddle in the day to day football operations.That's the question though. Can Russ spend freely? With Ralph's money?

madness
01-01-2013, 09:31 AM
It's a new era in Buffalo. This is huge news. No more checking in to dad every week. Coaches are actually calling about the job instead of the Bills begging coaches for an interview! Remember, Russ was the one who arranged the Gruden meeting. Now we have stability in ownership when Ralph passes. Buffalo just became an attractive place to coach. Somebody get this team a QB!

bigbub2352
01-01-2013, 09:32 AM
I hope this shufflin iss worth it...cause it hasnt worked for 13 years

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
It's a new era in Buffalo. This is huge news. No more checking in to dad every week. Coaches are actually calling about the job instead of the Bills begging coaches for an interview! Remember, Russ was the one who arranged the Gruden meeting. Now we have stability in ownership when Ralph passes. Buffalo just became an attractive place to coach. Somebody get this team a QB!Is it enough to land Gruden?

Cleve
01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't get optimistic just yet. It could be just a shuffling of the deck with no real changes. Instead of Nix going to Wilson to get approval, maybe now Nix goes to Brandon who then goes to Wilson? Or vice versa... instead of Wilson giving his addled old-man orders directly to Nix, now he gives them to Brandon who in turn gives them to Nix?

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:34 AM
That's the question though. Can Russ spend freely? With Ralph's money?

I'm guessing he has a specific budget he can spend yearly. And who better to know what that budget is then the guy who's been pulling in most of the revenue the past decade.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 09:35 AM

If this opens up the pocketbook and Russ just stays out of the way, it's no different than other organizations who have owners who don't meddle in the day to day football operations.

Brandon has been around for a while and he hasn't helped at all. His job has always been in marketing. Before he joined the Bills, he worked for the Florida Marlins, again in markeing both the minor and major league teams.

He has nothing in his background that would make him qualified to oversee a football operation. Why do you see it as a good thing that the Bills just put a completely unqualified guy in charge of the football team? It makes no sense at all, unless you look at the Bills history.

It is a good thing that Ralph is stepping back and putting someone in charge. It is a bad thing that he didn't take the chance to hire someone who actually is qualified for the position. This is terrible news.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Brandon has been around for a while and he hasn't helped at all. His job has always been in marketing. Before he joined the Bills, he worked for the Florida Marlins, again in markeing both the minor and major league teams.

He has nothing in his background that would make him qualified to oversee a football operation. Why do you see it as a good thing that the Bills just put a completely unqualified guy in charge of the football team? It makes no sense at all, unless you look at the Bills history.

It is a good thing that Ralph is stepping back and putting someone in charge. It is a bad thing that he didn't take the chance to hire someone who actually is qualified for the position. This is terrible news.Ralph had no football knowledge either he was a business man. And Russ has played a large part in keeping this team here, marketable, and now here for at least 7 more years.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Ralph had no football knowledge either he was a business man. And Russ has played a large part in keeping this team here, marketable, and now here for at least 7 more years.

Right, he has done a good job marketing the team.

He is completely unqualified to run a football operation.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:39 AM

He is completely unqualified to run a football operation.Ok, my point is that Ralph wasn't qualified either.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Ok, my point is that Ralph wasn't qualified either.

Right. So... how are they better off?

So far he has made one decision, to retain Buddy Nix and his spotty track record.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:42 AM
He's readily available when moves need to be made
He's younger and more coherent
He's a gifted salesman. I could see him telling Gruden directly, "I will give you anything you need"

I mean what does he really need to do? Say yes and no. He doesn't even actually write the checks.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:49 AM

So far he has made one decision, to retain Buddy Nix and his spotty track record.

It might have been his decision to can Gailey.

X put it best, most owners have no qualifications to run a football organization as they are businessmen. The goal is to put strong football minds in the position to make the football decisions. Nix has been spotty at best, you're right, but if he goes out and brings in the next "Jim Kelly" he'll be hailed a genius. And if we go out and get a strong football coach on top of it then the football will take care of itself. Which is how most professional sports organizations are run where the owner doesn't get involved with the day to day operations. Look around professional sports where there are owners who are involved, they tend not to do as well as the franchises where the owner isn't involved.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 09:49 AM
He's readily available when moves need to be made
He's younger and more coherent
He's a gifted salesman. I could see him telling Gruden directly, "I will give you anything you need"

I mean what does he really need to do? Say yes and no. He doesn't even actually write the checks.

There is a lot more to overseeing a football operation than writing checks. No team in the NFL has a cash shortage, every team works with the same cap, money isn't the issue.

The decisions Brandon makes will establish the direction of the franchise, he will establish the tone and make sure everyone is on the same page with the goals the team wants to achieve. He has no experience making those decisions. He doesn't know what he is doing.

Sorry, I know you want to look at this as a good thing. I agree it is a change, but instead of it being a change for the better is it just more of the same. The Bills continue to throw darts.

But, hey, I'm done. I'm not going to argue about it anymore. We will see how it plays out and hope it works out. I just feel like a guy who knows a wreck is going to happen and cant' stop it.

madness
01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Is it enough to land Gruden?
I don't know but its design opens the door for such a signing. Nix stepping down after the draft with a young GM in the wings gives the image Russ is willing to give a high-caliber coach a say in personnel decisions.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
It might have been his decision to can Gailey.

X put it best, most owners have no qualifications to run a football organization as they are businessmen. The goal is to put strong football minds in the position to make the football decisions. Nix has been spotty at best, you're right, but if he goes out and brings in the next "Jim Kelly" he'll be hailed a genius. And if we go out and get a strong football coach on top of it then the football will take care of itself. Which is how most professional sports organizations are run where the owner doesn't get involved with the day to day operations. Look around professional sports where there are owners who are involved, they tend not to do as well as the franchises where the owner isn't involved.So you see this as a good thing?

better days
01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
From what I'm hearing, Nix will be GM through the draft. Then Whaley gets his turn.

Everyone should have had a sense that Nix's time was short when he said "I want to get a franchise QB before I leave." & The time is NOW.

DBrown77
01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Nix is gone after the draft per Lacanfora

djjimkelly
01-01-2013, 09:54 AM

lets hope so Ralph cant take it with him

X-Era
01-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I can see a guy like Russ wanting the most marketable team possible... And that would include having a face of the franchise... QB

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:56 AM
So you see this as a good thing?

Absolutely.

I think the mere presence of Ralph has been the number 1 thing that has held the franchise back. And Brandon in the money aspect of things has been nothing short of spectacular in his time here. I also am more pleased that Ralph went to Brandon as opposed to Littman and hope that this opens the door to Littman being shown his way out of here.

k-oneputt
01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
This is all great but what's to stop Ralph from stepping back in if he wants to ?

YardRat
01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Ralph deserves a **** ton of credit for moving quickly and putting the organization in a position to hire the best coach possible.

Absentee ownership is extremely detrimental for a professional franchise, just having the man at the top in the buildings every day is a positive change in team culture.

Everything, of course, is going to hinge mostly on who they bring in as HC and what FA and the draft brings, but the obvious transition to younger talent in the front office (and possibly coaching staff) could be a really good thing.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
This is all great but what's to stop Ralph from stepping back in if he wants to ?

Ralph probably realizes at this point he no longer has the ability to "run things"

better days
01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
This would explain why Ralph left after the Party. The first step towards new ownership.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Ralph deserves a **** ton of credit for moving quickly and putting the organization in a position to hire the best coach possible.

Absentee ownership is extremely detrimental for a professional franchise, just having the man at the top in the buildings every day is a positive change in team culture.

Everything, of course, is going to hinge mostly on who they bring in as HC and what FA and the draft brings, but the obvious transition to younger talent in the front office (and possibly coaching staff) could be a really good thing.
I like it if it can be viewed as a positive by big name HC's.

But if this looks like a less desirable team now I will be unhappy with this move.

justasportsfan
01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Ralph probably realizes at this point he no longer has the ability to "run things"

either that or this is all a front to entice coaches to come here by making them think Ralph is no longer in charge. It's a dark side mind trick. Russ is just Darth Vader.

Extremebillsfan247
01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Ken Whisenhunt is now rumored to be one of the Coaches to watch, a favorite of Russ Brandon's, and a coach Doug Whaley is familiar with. Supposedly Brandon, Whaley, and Nix will be leaving tomorrow to interview him, as well as Horton who Whaley is also familiar with.

djjimkelly
01-01-2013, 10:16 AM

hes a 100 of course he cant run things anymore

madness
01-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I can see a guy like Russ wanting the most marketable team possible... And that would include having a face of the franchise... QB
The argument against his background doesn't hold weight. After a few failed regimes, we followed the same model. The owner stepped back and put our talented CFO in charge. Obviously everybody had their doubts. Now we're more profitable than ever, growing at a sustainable rate and he's put more money back into the company in three years than I've seen in my whole 12 years.

"What does a bean counter know about football?" He could know very little but it doesn't take a genius to diagnose what this franchise is in dire need of. He just needs to know how to make sound business decisions and give those in charge everything they need to succeed at their job.

Russ is portrayed as a smart, talented man who will stop at nothing in making this franchise a success. If this true, it will be enough to turn this franchise around.

DynaPaul
01-01-2013, 10:35 AM
The biggest sound business decision is having a winning franchise.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Ken Whisenhunt is now rumored to be one of the Coaches to watch, a favorite of Russ Brandon's, and a coach Doug Whaley is familiar with. Supposedly Brandon, Whaley, and Nix will be leaving tomorrow to interview him, as well as Horton who Whaley is also familiar with.
I think Brandon goes and sees Gruden. I wonder if Nix or Whaley completes the Horton interview for the Rooney Rule. I think Gruden is in play.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
i know it's reading between the lines but brandon sounds nervous and almost like there are power strings telling him to get a real hc and start to win now...

stuckincincy
01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
So Ralph is now an investor?

Dunno. But there was the case of B'gals owner Mike Brown vs. the IRS several years ago. Maybe the Wilson family has pulled off a similar stunt:

http://bengals.enquirer.com/043097_bengbrown.html

IIRC, The family of Fin's owner Robbie got wiped out by the IRS.

notacon
01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
This is going to work like most of what the Bills have done in their history, especially the past 15 years.

SUCK BIG TIME!!!

Any football guy that would have the kind of stature and credibility to turn this franchise around would run from this situation like a escaping from a wildfire.

As long as Wilson retains ownership, it is subject to his whims. And those whims have been terrible for years. Does not matter who is "president". Naming a guy who has been with the organization for years just means that they have rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic right before it hit the iceberg.

Besides the fact that Brandon is a HUGE part of the problem with this team, all naming him "president" and saying that Wilson is abdicating "operation control" of the team...is meaningless. As owner, he could change his feeble mind in a nano second.

In demand football people, whether it being a big time GM or HC, wants stability in ownership. With a addled 94 year old owner, with no discernible succession plan in sight except that the team would go up for auction when he dies, is the epitome of UNSTABLE.

If a reasonable succession plan is in place, no one (who is the type of person that this team needs to survive) would take the job of GM or HC without seeing it.

This is like a tragic play...old man grasps for immortality by refusing to admit, or plan for the inevitable. When the inevitable comes, it's going to be one big ****ing mess.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
This is going to work like most of what the Bills have done in their history, especially the past 15 years.

SUCK BIG TIME!!!

Any football guy that would have the kind of stature and credibility to turn this franchise around would run from this situation like a escaping from a wildfire.

As long as Wilson retains ownership, it is subject to his whims. And those whims have been terrible for years. Does not matter who is "president". Naming a guy who has been with the organization for years just means that they have rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic right before it hit the iceberg.

Besides the fact that Brandon is a HUGE part of the problem with this team, all naming him "president" and saying that Wilson is abdicating "operation control" of the team...is meaningless. As owner, he could change his feeble mind in a nano second.

In demand football people, whether it being a big time GM or HC, wants stability in ownership. With a addled 94 year old owner, with no discernible succession plan in sight except that the team would go up for auction when he dies, is the epitome of UNSTABLE.

If a reasonable succession plan is in place, no one (who is the type of person that this team needs to survive) would take the job of GM or HC without seeing it.

This is like a tragic play...old man grasps for immortality by refusing to admit, or plan for the inevitable. When the inevitable comes, it's going to be one big ****ing mess.
On who says yes on the spending it starts and stops with Russ. No asking Ralph anything.

That's HUGE

notacon
01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
On who says yes on the spending it starts and stops with Russ. No asking Ralph anything.

That's HUGE

No, it's not.

Read what I wrote. What big name guy, with the kind of clout that is needed to turn this club around would walk into this situation???

Brandon is PART of the problem....not the solution!

What happens when Wilson dies?? All hell breaks loose. What happens if Wilson changes his mind?? Worse than all hell breaking loose.

This is TERRIBLE news if you want the Bills to be competitive long term.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
No, it's not.

Read what I wrote. What big name guy, with the kind of clout that is needed to turn this club around would walk into this situation???

What happens when Wilson dies?? All hell breaks loose. What happens if Wilson changes his mind?? Worse than all hell breaking loose.

This is TERRIBLE news if you want the Bills to be competitive long term.Yes it is. Having to run back and forth to Det. Asking permission to spend money, having Ralph weigh in on who we hire...

It goes on and on and this an entirely new day with Ralph out of the business side. Will Russ operate exactly the same? Maybe. But we don't know that.

notacon
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes it is. Having to run back and forth to Det. Asking permission to spend money, having Ralph weigh in on who we hire...

It goes on and on and this an entirely new day with Ralph out of the business side. Will Russ operate exactly the same? Maybe. But we don't know that.

I disagree.

The situation just got MUCH more unstable. This is BAD news. The same people that are responsible for the crap on the field, is still in place. A 94 year old owner, who just gave up operational control, with no succession plan in place, except to put the team up for auction after he dies, has just labeled this franchise as Mickey Mouse, with NO stability.

Any football guy that has the kind of experience and ability to turn this club around would not touch this situation with a 20 foot pole.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
No, it's not.

This is TERRIBLE news if you want the Bills to be competitive long term.

I'm not concerned that Ralph will change his mind, but the elephant in the room is that when Ralph dies the guys in charge from Brandon on down will be swept away by the new owner. I don't think this deters a coach from coming in because if he's a big enough name & he's winning, he'll be immune from the change and if he doesn't like the new owner, he'll leave unharmed for a better situation, but I don't see how Brandon can have any confidence that his job is anything but day to day.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm not concerned that Ralph will change his mind, but the elephant in the room is that when Ralph dies the guys in charge from Brandon on down will be swept away by the new owner. I don't think this deters a coach from coming in because if he's a big enough name & he's winning, he'll be immune from the change, but I don't see how Brandon can have any confidence that his job is anything but day to day.
And that would be different with any other guy?

Ralph is still the owner. When he dies a new owner buy the team and were in the same boat.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2013, 11:56 AM
And that would be different with any other guy?

Ralph is still the owner. When he dies a new owner buy the team and were in the same boat.
I don't see how instability of ownership matters to a guy with a fat 5 yr guaranteed contract. These coaches have huge egos & the right guy wouldn't come here without the big guaranteed contract. For the immediate future it looks like Brandon has said we're going big on the coach. If he goes small with another Gailey, then I'll get as skeptical as the rest of you.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
This club has basically an iron clad commitment to Buffalo for 7 years.

Stability is no issue with bringing in a new coach this time around.

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Ive been chewing on this and want to believe Brandon was against the Gailey signing from day one. I'd like to believe this was a push by Nix and backed by Ralph. Ralph now realizing the game has long passed him by finally gives up his meddling ways.

Thats what I'd like to think.....

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Honestly I really like this move, that PC only cemented it.

notacon
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't see how instability of ownership matters to a guy with a fat 5 yr guaranteed contract. These coaches have huge egos & the right guy wouldn't come here without the big guaranteed contract. For the immediate future it looks like Brandon has said we're going big on the coach. If he goes small with another Gailey, then I'll get as skeptical as the rest of you.

Because the football people that have the skill to turn this club around, it's more than the money. They need the commitment of ownership to do what it takes to get the job done.

Now, we have the worst of both worlds...an absentee owner...with no succession plan in sight except to auction the club off when he dies. With a 94 year old owner, this whole situation is the epitome of unstable.

When quality people go looking for a job...any job, where they are at the top of their skill level, the company has to sell themselves to the prospective employee. Stability in ownership is the #1 concern of anyone who is capable of supplying what the Bills need.

I think this move is going backwards.

notacon
01-01-2013, 12:08 PM
This club has basically an iron clad commitment to Buffalo for 7 years.

Stability is no issue with bringing in a new coach this time around.

"Ironclad"?!?!?

Not even close.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
"Ironclad"?!?!?

Not even close.

You tell me what prospective buyer of this franchise is gonna pay 40% of what he pays for the franchise to be able to move it? And then pay the relocation costs to the league on top of that.

400m is as close to iron clad as you can get.

Lone Stranger
01-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Brandon is excited because he got a promotion of sorts. Otherwise, nothing has changed except the Gailey firing. Some of the names being thrown out are ridiculous, i.e., losers. Puhlease.

Tatonka
01-01-2013, 12:36 PM
i like the move.. i don't feel like russ needs to be a football guy at all.. that said, the guy has been part of the operation for year and i have no doubt about his desire to do what is necessary to make it work. he has done his own job well for years and is respected. he is also fairly young and progressive, which i also like.

i think the situation is fine now. no meddling old man that a gm or head coach has to talk to.. thats a plus.. russ will make sure the money works correct.. the gm and the new head coach will handle the football stuff and go to russ on the paychecks.. which seems like what ever franchise has in place.

to me, the only thing that matters at this point is that they follow through and get a great head coach.. so i will reserve all judgement until i see who they hire.

for those of you complaining.. what would you rather see?

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:08 PM
You tell me what prospective buyer of this franchise is gonna pay 40% of what he pays for the franchise to be able to move it? And then pay the relocation costs to the league on top of that.

400m is as close to iron clad as you can get.

Picture this. The team goes up for auction, and the new owner pays $800 million. If he relocates to, say, LA, and the team immediately raises in value to $1.2 billion. Be generous, and say the team's value stays the same. But, the new stadium in LA brings $100 million more, per year, in luxury box revenue, local media rights and naming rights for the stadium....none of these revenue streams are shared.

Sorry, $400 million penalty only hurts if you are Wilson, and have no intentions of moving. It's a fake penalty. Any other new owner would run the numbers, and either:

A. Make the move quickly because another area makes him a deal he can't refuse (like paying all or part of that $400 m penalty).

B. Bides his time until the "penalty" goes down to $29 million, and runs out of town.

The term "Iron Clad" means, NO way out. I see several ways "out" and none of them would hurt as much as you think.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Picture this. The team goes up for auction, and the new owner pays $800 million. If he relocates to, say, LA, and the team immediately raises in value to $1.2 billion. Be generous, and say the team's value stays the same. But, the new stadium in LA brings $100 million more, per year, in luxury box revenue, local media rights and naming rights for the stadium....none of these revenue streams are shared.

Sorry, $400 million penalty only hurts if you are Wilson, and have no intentions of moving. It's a fake penalty. Any other new owner would run the numbers, and either:

A. Make the move quickly because another area makes him a deal he can't refuse (like paying all or part of that $400 m penalty).

B. Bids his time until the "penalty" goes down to $29 million, and runs out of town.

The term "Iron Clad" means, NO way out. I see several ways "out" and none of them would hurt as much as you think.Even with a new lease we still have conspiracy theorists claiming we may leave. Whatever.

No one is wasting 400 million. No one.

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
i like the move.. i don't feel like russ needs to be a football guy at all.. that said, the guy has been part of the operation for year and i have no doubt about his desire to do what is necessary to make it work. he has done his own job well for years and is respected. he is also fairly young and progressive, which i also like.

i think the situation is fine now. no meddling old man that a gm or head coach has to talk to.. thats a plus.. russ will make sure the money works correct.. the gm and the new head coach will handle the football stuff and go to russ on the paychecks.. which seems like what ever franchise has in place.

to me, the only thing that matters at this point is that they follow through and get a great head coach.. so i will reserve all judgement until i see who they hire.

for those of you complaining.. what would you rather see?

Wilson sell the team NOW...right NOW, and to a group with local ties that have no intention of moving the team. Additionally, I want a deal on a new stadium NOW. Screw renovating Rich Stadium again. It's a worthless hole in the ground, that BEGS for a new owner (upon Wilson's death that buys the team at auction) to make a deal to move the team. That deal would easily make the $400 million "penalty" moot.

The WORST thing to do, in my opinion, is what the Bills did today. They kicked the can down the road, with a 94 year old owner, who is now an absentee owner, with no viable succession plan in place except to sell the team to the highest bidder when he dies.

Unstable situation is a understatement.

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Even with a new lease we still have conspiracy theorists claiming we may leave. Whatever.

No one is wasting 400 million. No one.

Who said anything about "wasting" $400 million. It's all the cost of buying the team that is worth substantially MORE in just about any viable market, EXCEPT Buffalo.

This is business. $400 for an asset worth well over a billion, and adding value every year, which additionally is a cash cow (especially if the team MOVES to a bigger market with a bright new shiny stadium) is a no-brainer.

Wake up!!!

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:18 PM
BTW...X-Era, I would think that this new lease deal is a good one WITH A NEW LOCAL OWNER NOW. Not the murky rudderless situation that was created today.

With no new stadium in Buffalo, and a new owner via auction, you can kiss this club goodbye!

X-Era
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Who said anything about "wasting" $400 million. It's all the cost of buying the team that is worth substantially MORE in just about any viable market, EXCEPT Buffalo.

This is business. $400 for an asset worth well over a billion, and adding value every year, which additionally is a cash cow (especially if the team MOVES to a bigger market with a bright new shiny stadium) is a no-brainer.

Wake up!!!
writing a 400 million check to a county that you are moving away from with nothing to show for it is something NO ONE will do regardless of where they are headed next.

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
According to Forbes, the Bills are the 29th most valuable franchise in the league with a worth of only $805 million.

Dallas Cowboys Lead NFL with $2.1 Billion Valuation (http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/09/05/dallas-cowboys-lead-nfl-with-2-1-billion-valuation/)

Makes the the piddling $400 million "penalty" as irrelevant as it is.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
It's amazing that people get their panties up in a bunch because RW is a meddling owner, then get just as riled up when he officially takes himself out of the equation.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
According to Forbes, the Bills are the 29th most valuable franchise in the league with a worth of only $805 million.

Dallas Cowboys Lead NFL with $2.1 Billion Valuation (http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/09/05/dallas-cowboys-lead-nfl-with-2-1-billion-valuation/)

Makes the the piddling $400 million "penalty" as irrelevant as it is.

The penalty is an additional 50% of the team's overall value. How is that "piddling"?

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
writing a 400 million check to a county that you are moving away from with nothing to show for it is something NO ONE will do regardless of where they are headed next.

You are absolutely WRONG!!! You don't know much about business, do you? Look at my post above. Dallas worth $2.1 BILLION. Bills third worthless club at only $800 million. Move the team to a viable big market, and the valuation of the team, even if it moves to the middle of the pack is over $1 BILLION.

The $400 Million is IRRELEVANT, especially given the FACT that the stadium in Buffalo is useless as compared to every other larger market.

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
The penalty is an additional 50% of the team's overall value. How is that "piddling"?

Because the valuation of the team would go up 25% AT THE VERY LEAST, immediately upon relocation, with the proper stadium deal, in a big market.

I suspect, that within the next year or so, if the team moved to LA, with a proper stadium deal, the team's value would go to $1.2 billion immediately. Just happens to be the amount of the "penalty".

notacon
01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
It's amazing that people get their panties up in a bunch because RW is a meddling owner, then get just as riled up when he officially takes himself out of the equation.

He hasn't "taken himself out of the equation".

SELLING the team would do that.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
You are absolutely WRONG!!! You don't know much about business, do you? Look at my post above. Dallas worth $2.1 BILLION. Bills third worthless club at only $800 million. Move the team to a viable big market, and the valuation of the team, even if it moves to the middle of the pack is over $1 BILLION.

The $400 Million is IRRELEVANT, especially given the FACT that the stadium in Buffalo is useless as compared to every other larger market.I'm not going back and forth with you. Not happening. But I do not think for one second that any new owner would waste 400 mill to move the team. That's how I feel.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 01:32 PM
He hasn't "taken himself out of the equation".

SELLING the team would do that.

And the Aliens driving Black Choppers were paid by Bush to start 911. I figured I'd just add to the non-factual conspiracy theories while we're at it.

better days
01-01-2013, 01:44 PM

In regards to players, there is a hard cap in place which the Bills will have to meet. As far as Coaching & the front office, I believe Ralph has put Russ in Charge & Russ is smart enough to know he has to get a GOOD HC in here to sell the team to the fans & that will cost money.

better days
01-01-2013, 01:47 PM

He is completely unqualified to run a football operation.

He won't be running the football operation, the GM will do that, most likely with a huge imput from the HC.

notacon
01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm not going back and forth with you. Not happening. But I do not think for one second that any new owner would waste 400 mill to move the team. That's how I feel.

I don't doubt that you "feel" that way.

There is no "wasting" of $400 million. Think it though. You don't have to go back and forth with me. I don't "feel" anything. This is cold calculation. Financial calculation that favors moving the team. Period.

To deny it is to deny reality.

notacon
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
And the Aliens driving Black Choppers were paid by Bush to start 911. I figured I'd just add to the non-factual conspiracy theories while we're at it.

Oh please. Why the dramatics.

You say that Wilson has "taken himself out of the equation". When, in fact, he still owns the team and therefore, is VERY much IN the "equation.

Grow up and open your eyes.

better days
01-01-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't doubt that you "feel" that way.

There is no "wasting" of $400 million. Think it though. You don't have to go back and forth with me. I don't "feel" anything. This is cold calculation. Financial calculation that favors moving the team. Period.

To deny it is to deny reality.

The reality is the $400 Mill is just a piece of the cost. Aside from the cost of the team, whichever team goes to LA will pay a HUGE relocation fee to the NFL. That is reality.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 02:18 PM
they would not waste $400M to move the team. They would just wait it out and move it. But they won't be able to scoop it up and move it which I think is significant. That is what the $400M protects the investment WNY makes in the team from. If Wilson lives just two more years it will take between one and two years to situate the estate and sell the team and then another year for the whole process of transference from the estate and the NFL approval. The timing does not mean someone will pay that to move the team....

- - - Updated - - -

some of you folks are crazy! no one is going to pony up $400M one year when they can pay nothing the next...get real LMAO

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
The reality is the $400 Mill is just a piece of the cost. Aside from the cost of the team, whichever team goes to LA will pay a HUGE relocation fee to the NFL. That is reality.

...And they'd be taking a huge risk in addition. LA has failed before. Buffalo has been consistently profitable. 1.2 Trillion is a lot to gamble.

Jeff1220
01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Oh please. Why the dramatics.

You say that Wilson has "taken himself out of the equation". When, in fact, he still owns the team and therefore, is VERY much IN the "equation.

Grow up and open your eyes.

I know. I have to open my eyes..."the truth is out there"

better days
01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
they would not waste $400M to move the team. They would just wait it out and move it. But they won't be able to scoop it up and move it which I think is significant. That is what the $400M protects the investment WNY makes in the team from. If Wilson lives just two more years it will take between one and two years to situate the estate and sell the team and then another year for the whole process of transference from the estate and the NFL approval. The timing does not mean someone will pay that to move the team....

- - - Updated - - -

some of you folks are crazy! no one is going to pony up $400M one year when they can pay nothing the next...get real LMAO

I agree with you. An important point you make is the NFL will have to give approval. I fully expect that approval is given to local buyers that will keep the team in Buffalo.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Someone who bought the team with the intention to move it would wait out the lease til year 7 and move the team when the penalty is 29 million NOT 400 million.

This team on an open auction basically will go for more than 1 billion and there's someone, likely a few someones, who think that person is just gonna toss aside another 400m on top of that because they have more money than what they know what to do with?

Yeah the valuation of the franchise will go up in say LA but that's not actual dollars in the pocket, the 400m they have to pay to break the lease, is in actual dollars out of the pocket.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
another issue I was thinking about last night was the estate tax. With the fiscal cliff the whole estate tax is up in the air...and it's actually in limbo right now because nothing has been passed. You never know what the government is going to do. So I expect at least some of what we have seen in the past month is posturing to keep options open based on the direction the government goes.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah the valuation of the franchise will go up in say LA but that's not actual dollars in the pocket, the 400m they have to pay to break the lease, is in actual dollars out of the pocket.

What exactly does that mean? The value of a business is the net present value of the future cash flows. It most certainly is cash out of the pocket because we are talking about the price it sells for.

better days
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
What exactly does that mean? The value of a business is the net present value of the future cash flows. It most certainly is cash out of the pocket because we are talking about the price it sells for.

He is saying it is like a house you buy. In Fla here now you can get into a house real cheap. It's value will be much higher than you paid for it, but that money is not in your pocket or the bank. It is not real currency. The owner would only see that money if he sold the team.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
He is saying it is like a house you buy. In Fla here now you can get into a house real cheap. It's value will be much higher than you paid for it, but that money is not in your pocket or the bank. It is not real currency. The owner would only see that money if he sold the team.

But this person is purchasing the team and that is money out of the pocket....which is the premise that the more lucrative market will pay more for the team. So it most certainly is real $$$ just on the negative side not the positive!

better days
01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
But this person is purchasing the team and that is money out of the pocket....which is the premise that the more lucrative market will pay more for the team. So it most certainly is real $$$ just on the negative side not the positive!

Notacon was saying the value of the team would go up if moved to LA. Fun times pointed out that value is not in spendable dollars.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Notacon was saying the value of the team would go up if moved to LA. Fun times pointed out that value is not in spendable dollars.

as I pointed out above...it would be in spent $$$$

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM

The value of the franchise is tied to the area the franchise is located plus stadium plus actual physical dollars.

The franchise value would go up if moved to say LA because of the area and then the fact there would be a new stadium for the franchise.

The 400m in breaking the lease wouldn't be part of the franchise value.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 03:13 PM
The value of the franchise is tied to the area the franchise is located plus stadium plus actual physical dollars.

The franchise value would go up if moved to say LA because of the area and then the fact there would be a new stadium for the franchise.

The 400m in breaking the lease wouldn't be part of the franchise value.

Yes it would if it were to be paid. I am not sure what any of you are saying but you are blatantly incorrect about that. A $400M cash flow is a $400M cash flow.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 03:14 PM
and it would not go up "because of the area" or because of a stadium or anything...it would go up because better cash flows in the future...period.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
and it would not go up "because of the area" or because of a stadium or anything...it would go up because better cash flows in the future...period.

A newer better stadium is an asset of the franchise which makes the value of the franchise higher.

An area of the country that has higher income people and more corporate sponsors makes the franchise value higher.

A 400m dollar fine, which is what breaking the lease here would be, is not an asset.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 03:31 PM
A newer better stadium is an asset of the franchise which makes the value of the franchise higher.

An area of the country that has higher income people and more corporate sponsors makes the franchise value higher.

A 400m dollar fine, which is what breaking the lease here would be, is not an asset.

No you are incorrect. The only thing that matters in valuations is cash flows. You seem to be saying that a team could be located in Alaska and have a new state of the art stadium and it would be worth something. That is not true. The only thing a stadium impacts is cash flows. It can be positive or negative cash flows. If there are more negatives then it will bring the value of the franchise down. If there is more positive then it will raise the value.

The same can be said about population incomes and corporate sponsors....

It's about cash flows ... and all of the things many of you are saying are only important in the way they impact cash flows. You are only looking at part of the picture but don't really understand the landscape or medium being used it would seem....

- - - Updated - - -

You really need to see a separation between finance and accounting and you have those two things skewed together.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
This also may indicate Ralph is entering a bad place in regards to his physical/mental health at 94. Knowing this, the move had to be done right now.

So basically, Russ Brandon is running the Ralph Wilson Trust.

notacon
01-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Some points here:

Certainly. That's rolled in to the cost of having a franchise. So what? We're still talking peanuts.

NFL owners don't go into owning a NFL team because of the money. They are all already very, very wealthy. On the Forbes list of the richest people in the world, #20 is worth $22 billion. A measly $400 million penalty to move the club reflects just 2% of his net worth. The median net worth of all Americans in 2010 was $57,000. So, that "penalty" is like an $1,140 fee to the average American.

In fact, any new owner will probably not put out many actual dollars. The team, and other assets are used to finance the transaction. With interest rates so low, it's like being paid to borrow the money since other assets work much harder for the owner than the paltry 3% - 4% he may pay in interest. The $400 million is just another cost.

Now...let me make this very clear. My premise that the "penalty" as not being "Iron Clad" does not mean that I think it will happen. What I am saying is that don't go fooling yourselves into thinking that the $400 million is a deterrent for moving to team for someone who wants to buy the team and move it. It's a cold calculation.

The FACT, is that the Buffalo Bills are worth MUCH more, both in net value of the team, and operating profit, if they are moved from Buffalo. In FACT, the team moving to a major media market like LA, would be MUCH more profitable for ALL the owners.

Look at the two biggest revenue streams that are shared income. National TV contracts, and ticket sales. Buffalo has one of the smallest TV markets and the cheapest average ticket price.

Don't fool yourself. The owners would love to see the Bills move.

- - - Updated - - -

Even worse for putting the nail in the coffin of the Bills fate.

This ALL starts with Wilson's published desire to sell the team at auction after his death. Depending on when it happens, and who buys it...all they have to do is wait a few years, and pay $29 million "penalty".

What I am putting forth, is that IF the right (actually, wrong) guy buys the team, and IF a lucrative stadium deal comes along that is predicated on the team moving, and IF the time factor on the move would mean that the new owner could not wait until the $400 penalty timeframe is up....a cold calculation will be made, and, taken into proper perspective, the $400 million is small potatoes.

A lot of "IFS", but, remember, this is predicated on the supposed "Iron Clad" penalty means that it is impossible to move the team within the 7 years of the new lease.

I am saying that not only is it possible to move the team within that period of time....I believe that with the proper circumstances, it would be stupid NOT to move the team.

...And they'd be taking a huge risk in addition. LA has failed before. Buffalo has been consistently profitable. 1.2 Trillion is a lot to gamble.

It was not that the LA teams failed, what failed was a new stadium deal. That's why the Rams left. That is why the Raiders moved back to Oakland. It's ALL about the stadium, and the stadium deal.

The Bills stadium is one of the worst in the country when it comes to financial incentive to a team owner. The actual structure itself, and the lack of big bucks to populate luxury boxes that is the cream that every owner loves is just not there in Buffalo.

Why do you think that the Cowboys are worth a staggering $2.1 billion??? It's the stadium deal. Personal seat licenses. ****, Jones gets $75 a pop just for people to tour the stadium. I read that he earns several million per year just on the tours.

I know. I have to open my eyes..."the truth is out there"

The "truth" is right here. Believe it or not...I am stating the cold hard truth.

I agree with you. An important point you make is the NFL will have to give approval. I fully expect that approval is given to local buyers that will keep the team in Buffalo.

That would certainly be their preference, at least from a public relations viewpoint. Not financially. This is the problem. Without that local buyer in place BEFORE Wilson dies, all bets are off. If what he stated is true, that the team would be put up for auction at his death, then be prepared for a non-local owner. His incentive would be to move the team. The other owners incentive would be to approve the move because it would means millions more PER YEAR for them.

Someone who bought the team with the intention to move it would wait out the lease til year 7 and move the team when the penalty is 29 million NOT 400 million.

This team on an open auction basically will go for more than 1 billion and there's someone, likely a few someones, who think that person is just gonna toss aside another 400m on top of that because they have more money than what they know what to do with?

I addressed this point above. So many unknowns.

Sorry, but there would probably be no "dollars out of pocket". This would be wrapped up in the financing deal. In any event, the NFL prefers super rich owners who do not depend on their football team for their income or wealth. Most team owners are into it for personal reasons. It's a great toy. All you need is a Jeff Bezos to get the football bug and that $1.2 billion ($800 for the team, $400 to break the lease) is nothing to him. (he's worth about $23 billion)

another issue I was thinking about last night was the estate tax. With the fiscal cliff the whole estate tax is up in the air...and it's actually in limbo right now because nothing has been passed. You never know what the government is going to do. So I expect at least some of what we have seen in the past month is posturing to keep options open based on the direction the government goes.

The estate tax is irrelevant to this sale. Estate planning has been already taken care of by Wilson, as it always does with people of great wealth. In any event, the estate tax does not kick in when a spouse is alive. I went round and round on this subject on the Range and got banned (for the umpteenth time) over it. The right wing owner of that site, and a few right wing posters just can't get it though their thick skulls that taxes are a small detail when deals like these are done.

In any event, if it were an issue with Wilson, he would be much better off selling the team before his death, and using various methods to protect as much of his estate as he can, in preparation for when his wife passes.

Get this "out of pocket" out of the discussion. It's irrelevant to any non-local buyer.

It does not matter if the increased value is in "spendable" dollars. Asset value is a basis for borrowing. With interest rates where they are, it makes more financial sense to borrow than dip into existing assets. An immediate increased value of the team, just by moving it, makes good financial sense.

For example, I just bought a second home in Vegas. I obtained a 15 year mortgage for 3%. My investments averaged a 14.1% return in 2012. Why in the world would I take money from my investments instead of borrowing as much as I can to buy that house with a measly 3% interest rate? Answer...it doesn't. Take that position and put it on steroids for a new owner.

In any event, the actual cash flow situation would be much better if the team moved to an area like LA. (Assuming the proper stadium is built). Ticket prices are higher. Luxury boxes would be sold easily. Personal seat licenses would produce immediate increased cash flow.

I'm telling you guys. EVERY single number points to a better deal for an owner if the team is NOT in Buffalo. It is going to take an extraordinary effort to keep this team in the area when Wilson dies. Two things would make it much better chance for the team to stay.

1. Wilson selling BEFORE he dies.
2. Plan to build a new stadium.

All stop. Period. End of story.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Wealthy people are wealthy because they don't just throw away money. Which is what they'd be doing in paying a 400 million dollar penalty. They'd hold the team until that penalty went down to 29 million or none.

Period.

notacon
01-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Wealthy people are wealthy because they don't just throw away money. Which is what they'd be doing in paying a 400 million dollar penalty. They'd hold the team until that penalty went down to 29 million or none.

Period.

Oh my. Wealthy people are wealthy because they spend money to make more money. If the conditions arose that paying $400 million penalty would result in years, and years of more revenue, they would make the cold calculation and pay it.

Period!

Crisis
01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Some points here:

Certainly. That's rolled in to the cost of having a franchise. So what? We're still talking peanuts.

NFL owners don't go into owning a NFL team because of the money. They are all already very, very wealthy. On the Forbes list of the richest people in the world, #20 is worth $22 billion. A measly $400 million penalty to move the club reflects just 2% of his net worth. The median net worth of all Americans in 2010 was $57,000. So, that "penalty" is like an $1,140 fee to the average American.

Why are you using the richest people on earth to compare to NFL owners? The richest owner in the NFL is worth 15.5 bill, the next is worth 4.4 according to Forbes. Only 18 owners are actual billionaires. $400 million is not measly by any means.

better days
01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh my. Wealthy people are wealthy because they spend money to make more money. If the conditions arose that paying $400 million penalty would result in years, and years of more revenue, they would make the cold calculation and pay it.

Period!

You can believe what you want. Just STFU, we don't need to hear this BS any longer.

notacon
01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Why are you using the richest people on earth to compare to NFL owners? The richest owner in the NFL is worth 15.5 bill, the next is worth 4.4 according to Forbes. Only 18 owners are actual billionaires. $400 million is not measly by any means.

"Only" 18 owners are billionaires. Oh woe is me.

Obviously, you don't understand what I'm saying. I'll explain it one more time.

IN RELATION to the revenue stream, and net value of NFL teams, $400 million is a pittance to pay if the right opportunity came along to improve revenue for years to come.

All you guys are hung up with the supposed BIG number of $400 million that is going to shield the Bills from moving.

HOGWASH!!!

You can believe what you want. Just STFU, we don't need to hear this BS any longer.

Sorry, but I have as much a right to say whatever I want on a discussion board. You don't like it, don't read it.

This is not "BS". If you (generically speaking) desire the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this is monumentally important. Sit there in your fake comfort thinking this stupid lease is going to protect Buffalo from losing the Bills, and you are incredibly ignorant of what is more likely to happen.

Some people think that the Bills will never move because...well....there really is no earthly reason why, except their dire to have the team stay.

I care about my team. I have been a fan of this franchise since it's inception. Bury your head in the sand if you like. Don't come crying to me when the team runs out of town.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm not saying that the team is never gonna move. I'm not saying that Ralph passing and an outsider buying the team isn't a concern.

What I'm saying is this team is going nowhere for 7 or 10 years depending on Ralph and then the sale of the team through his estate.

29m in the land of a Billionaire is a pittance 400m is a whole different ball of wax and if you want to spout off guys with 20B buying this team so they won't care about 400m then guess what you've extremely limited the amount of people who can actually afford to buy the team and who'd be willing to start off with this franchise being 400m + whatever the NFL relocation fee is in the hole from day 1.

better days
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but I have as much a right to say whatever I want on a discussion board. You don't like it, don't read it.

This is not "BS". If you (generically speaking) desire the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this is monumentally important. Sit there in your fake comfort thinking this stupid lease is going to protect Buffalo from losing the Bills, and you are incredibly ignorant of what is more likely to happen.

Some people think that the Bills will never move because...well....there really is no earthly reason why, except their dire to have the team stay.

I care about my team. I have been a fan of this franchise since it's inception. Bury your head in the sand if you like. Don't come crying to me when the team runs out of town.

Yeah, there is an earthly reason why I believe the Bills won't move. Aside from the new lease, Bob Rich has come out & said that he & his friends........the movers & shakers of Buffalo view the Bills as a culutural asset to the City of Buffalo & they will do everything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo including buying the team if need be.

I guess I will go put you on ignore now.

BidsJr
01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
lol @ notacon. Taking the same schtick to every bbmb.

notacon
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm not saying that the team is never gonna move. I'm not saying that Ralph passing and an outsider buying the team isn't a concern.

What I'm saying is this team is going nowhere for 7 or 10 years depending on Ralph and then the sale of the team through his estate.

29m in the land of a Billionaire is a pittance 400m is a whole different ball of wax and if you want to spout off guys with 20B buying this team so they won't care about 400m then guess what you've extremely limited the amount of people who can actually afford to buy the team and who'd be willing to start off with this franchise being 400m + whatever the NFL relocation fee is in the hole from day 1.

Keep on dreaming. the right set of circumstances come around, and this team is gone.

notacon
01-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, there is an earthly reason why I believe the Bills won't move. Aside from the new lease, Bob Rich has come out & said that he & his friends........the movers & shakers of Buffalo view the Bills as a culutural asset to the City of Buffalo & they will do everything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo including buying the team if need be.

I guess I will go put you on ignore now.

Great. Putting someone on ignore is just like jumping up and down with hands over ears chanting "lalalalalalala" so you don't hear the truth.

How utterly childish of you.

I know Bob Rich. He's a great guy who is an asset to the area and a wonderful businessman. But, talk is cheap.

Never forget that Bob Rich was supposedly moving heaven and earth to get a major league baseball team to Buffalo. He spearheaded the stadium being built, and was on the verge of going after a National League franchise at the last expansion.

Then, he did what every sound minded businessman does....took a cold hard look at the numbers. He pulled out of the franchise chase because the numbers just did not work. Buffalo will NEVER be home to a major league baseball franchise.

When Bob Rich, and his friends pony up and buy the club, I will be as happy as any Bills fan. If Wilson continues down his path of selling the team via auction when he dies, all bets are off.

You'll be sitting there with your dick in your hand instead of a Buffalo NFL franchise. Then, and only then, you may take your hands away from your ears and finally hear the truth.

Unfortunately, it will be too late then.

notacon
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
lol @ notacon. Taking the same schtick to every bbmb.

Why don't you go back to the Range and rat on someone else....you little tattle tale whiner.

BTW...I still have access to the Range. I have more accounts, and got that idea from the owner himself.

You may call the truth a "schtick"....intellectual midgets don't understand complex issues.

At least I'm not a rat.

Jeff1220
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Dude's been here 5 minutes and I'm already tired of hearing his "schtick"...and your "schtick" is not your message, it's your delivery.

notacon
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Dude's been here 5 minutes and I'm already tired of hearing his "schtick"...and your "schtick" is not your message, it's your delivery.

Awwww. What a crybaby.

What, you can't handle a reasoned argument that uses fact and reality?!?!?!

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Awwww. What a crybaby.

What, you can't handle a reasoned argument that uses fact and reality?!?!?!

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Your reality says someone is just gonna toss aside 400m instead of waiting a few years so they only have to toss aside 29m.

Yeah ok.

notacon
01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Your reality says someone is just gonna toss aside 400m instead of waiting a few years so they only have to toss aside 29m.

Yeah ok.

Actually, I did not say that at all. I will repeat what I wrote above...

What I am putting forth, is that IF the right (actually, wrong) guy buys the team, and IF a lucrative stadium deal comes along that is predicated on the team moving, and IF the time factor on the move would mean that the new owner could not wait until the $400 penalty timeframe is up....a cold calculation will be made, and, taken into proper perspective, the $400 million is small potatoes.

A lot of "IFS", but, remember, this is predicated on the supposed "Iron Clad" penalty means that it is impossible to move the team within the 7 years of the new lease.

I am saying that not only is it possible to move the team within that period of time....I believe that with the proper circumstances, it would be stupid NOT to move the team.

The only way I see a new owner NOT waiting until the penalty goes down to $29 million is IF, and there are many IFS, a certain situation presents itself.

The overriding point I am making is to not lull yourself (general...not you specifically) into complacency that the $400 million period is some kind of "ironclad" guarantee that will prevent the team from moving.

It's not.

What is more likely to happen, if things go badly, is this:

Wilson hangs on until sometime in 2014. The team goes up for auction. Some local investment groups try their best, but are outbid. A new guy comes into town and promises to bring the team back to it's (short-lived) glory. By 2015, 2016 at the latest, he threatens to leave unless a new stadium is built. A fiasco entails, like it usually does in WNY whenever talk about spending money comes up (WNY's are notorious cheapskates). Little progress is made.

In the meantime, LA finally gets it's crap together and passes a referendum to build a new stadium near LA. Now, it's 2017 and the Bills are 5 years into the lease. Only two more years until the $400 million penalty is gone.

It goes 'round and 'round for another year. A secret deal is done between LA and the new owner. The Bills will move to LA the day after the end of the 2019 season. LA agrees to split the measly $29 million penalty.

Bye-Bye Bills!!

How is THAT reality for you???

Jeff1220
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves an internet tough guy. Everybody beware. (Shivering in my boots).

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Notacon, I was actually finding your post interesting reading, so try to be less acerbic more plesent in your delivery and you may be less distasteful to many :)