PDA

View Full Version : Schefter says Bills asked permission to interview Denver OC Mike McCoy

GingerP
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm all for it, if he can bring Peyton Manning with him.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Have no issue with him as long as he doesn't bring Tebow with him.

X-Era
01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm all for it, if he can bring Peyton Manning with him.Is this the first candidate from a playoff team?

Now I have to go and figure out the rules on interviewing playoff team candidates. Lol.

Here's the details:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/12/31/when-coaches-on-playoff-teams-can-interview/

McCoy (Den) can be interviewed right away

Mathja
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
peyton manning is the virtual offensive coordinator of any team that he's on. makes whoever holds that title look better than they are.

Mr. Miyagi
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Is this the first candidate from a playoff team?

Now I have to go and figure out the rules on interviewing playoff team candidates. Lol.
For us yes, but not in the league. The Atlanta coaching staff has been raided by many teams already.

jamze132
01-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I do like their offense but I think Peyton makes them look really good. Not to mention the Denver defense is a beast.

GingerP
Is this the first candidate from a playoff team?

Denver is on the bye, so he is available to interview this weekend. They would have to wait until Denver loses to hire him.

Mr. Pink
peyton manning is the virtual offensive coordinator of any team that he's on. makes whoever holds that title look better than they are.

He got the Donkeys to 8-8 and a competent looking offense with freakin Tim Tebow.

It's not just Peyton Manning making him look good.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
McCoy spent most of his career on the offensive staff of the Carolina Panthers under John Fox. He was hired by McDaniels as QB coach when he was hired in Denver in 2009, and kept by Fox as OC when he replaced McDaniels.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
So that makes 4 or 5 interviews?

Whisenhunt, Horton, McCoy, and Marrone?

Don't Panic
01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
He got the Donkeys to 8-8 and a competent looking offense with freakin Tim Tebow.

No, its the defense making him look good.

jimmifli
01-01-2013, 12:25 PM

That offense sucked and the team won because of a spectacular defense.

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Have no issue with him as long as he doesn't bring Tebow with him.
I bet that's being considered.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
homlgren is in arizona btw

better days
01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I would be happy with McCoy as an OC but I don't want to see someone with no experience get their training in Buffalo again at our expense. In the same mannor Nix drafts guys that have had long term success, I want a HC that has it as well, even if he was only HC in the Arena League or CFL. Gruden or Trestman would be my choices.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I would be happy with McCoy as an OC but I don't want to see someone with no experience get their training in Buffalo again at our expense. In the same mannor Nix drafts guys that have had long term success, I want a HC that has it as well, even if he was only HC in the Arena League or CFL. Gruden or Trestman would be my choices.

He's been in coaching for 12 years now, working with QB's for the past 7. He's spent the last three years going from one QB and system to the next, and was successful with each one. What more experience are you looking for exactly?

better days
01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
He's been in coaching for 12 years now, working with QB's for the past 7. He's spent the last three years going from one QB and system to the next, and was successful with each one. What more experience are you looking for exactly?

I said I would be happy with him as an OC. But he has ZERO experience as a HC. That is the experience I am looking for.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I said I would be happy with him as an OC. But he has ZERO experience as a HC. That is the experience I am looking for.

Not another retread. We've been there.

psubills62
01-01-2013, 02:06 PM
He's the hot name. Bears and Cardinals immediately went after him and I'm pretty sure he's Chicago's top choice.

better days
01-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Not another retread. We've been there.

Yeah, well we've been there with hotshot Coordinators as well..... Gregg & Mike. I don't want to see the Bills as a stepping stone for someone with no experience to get some.

ZAZusmc03
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM

8 of the 12 teams in the playoffs have head coaches in their first HC job. I'd rather take a shot on someone looking to make a name for themselves at HC, not someone trying to live up to past success.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah, well we've been there with hotshot Coordinators as well..... Gregg & Mike. I don't want to see the Bills as a stepping stone for someone with no experience to get some.

Gregg only got the job because he was so prepared for the interview. Mike sucked here but was plagued by horrible decision makers in personnel.

better days
01-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Gregg only got the job because he was so prepared for the interview. Mike sucked here but was plagued by horrible decision makers in personnel.

Mike also sucked as OC for the Fins & Falcons. as well as HC of the Jags.

better days
01-01-2013, 02:27 PM
8 of the 12 teams in the playoffs have head coaches in their first HC job. I'd rather take a shot on someone looking to make a name for themselves at HC, not someone trying to live up to past success.

Well, Jay Gruden & Mark Trestman both have yet to make a name for themselves, but both have HC experience.

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Mike also sucked as OC for the Fins & Falcons. as well as HC of the Jags.

Yea that sucking with the Falcons that led to the Jags HC job was clear...

better days
01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Yea that sucking with the Falcons that led to the Jags HC job was clear...

I could not believe the Jags hired him. Their owner is a real idiot in terms of football. The Falcons did not score a single point in Mikes last game there. With Matt Ryan at QB. How do the Falcons look this year?

DraftBoy
01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I could not believe the Jags hired him. Their owner is a real idiot in terms of football. The Falcons did not score a single point in Mikes last game there. With Matt Ryan at QB. How do the Falcons look this year?

It doesn't matter what you believe.

The Falcons look good at times and bad at others. They have won some really ugly games and now their OC will be doing three interviews during their bye week.

better days
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
It doesn't matter what you believe.

The Falcons look good at times and bad at others. They have won some really ugly games and now their OC will be doing three interviews during their bye week.

Well, they look MUCH better without Mularkey. That is a fact.

GingerP
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Well, they look MUCH better without Mularkey. That is a fact.

They actually are pretty close to where they were a year ago offensively.

This year, they averaged 369 yards per game and scored 419 points. They converted 45% of 3rd downs.

Last year (with Mularkey), they averaged 377 yards per game and scored 402 points. They coverted 44% of 3rd downs.

The big difference for Atlanta this year is on defense. They have only allowed 299 points, compared to 350 a year ago.

Thief
01-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Why would we want the guy who rides Payton Manning's coattails? He is like a back up offensive coordinator.

better days
01-01-2013, 09:03 PM
They actually are pretty close to where they were a year ago offensively.

This year, they averaged 369 yards per game and scored 419 points. They converted 45% of 3rd downs.

Last year (with Mularkey), they averaged 377 yards per game and scored 402 points. They coverted 44% of 3rd downs.

The big difference for Atlanta this year is on defense. They have only allowed 299 points, compared to 350 a year ago.

Well, it just goes to prove stats don't mean much. I agree the Defense is much better this year, but I actually watch Atlanta because they play in the same division as the Bucs who I am a fan of. The Falcons offense last year to this year is night & day.

GingerP
01-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, it just goes to prove stats don't mean much. I agree the Defense is much better this year, but I actually watch Atlanta because they play in the same division as the Bucs who I am a fan of. The Falcons offense last year to this year is night & day.

The Atlanta passing game is better this year, but they don't run the ball as well. They ran the ball about 50 less times and averaged a half-yard less per carry. They aren't as balanced a team.

I know some don't like Mularkey and he may not be a good HC, but the guy did a good job in Atlanta. For the span of time he was OC (2008 - 2011) Altanta scored the 7th most points (1,570) and had the 9th most yards (22,710) among all NFL teams. They were terrible the year before he took over and they were on average a top-10 offense during his tenure.

kishoph
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Why would we want the guy who rides Payton Manning's coattails? He is like a back up offensive coordinator.

With the exception of last season the Broncos have finished in the top half in offense since McCoy took over as OC, with Kyle Orton at QB, he must be doing something right.

GingerP
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM

I agree stats can be misleading, but I'm not sure how you can dismiss points and yardage and indicators of offensive success. Mularkey did a good job in Atlanta. I get you don't like the guy, but he did a good job.

Atlanta is fun to watch this year, because they are passing the ball better. Believe it or not, you aren't the only one watching the games. They aren't a good running team, though. We'll see if they can improve on past playoff disappointments.