PDA

View Full Version : LaConfora Tweets Bill's will take a crack at C Kelly

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
<TBODY>
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora (http://www.billszone.com/JasonLaCanfora?p=s)
3h (http://www.billszone.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/286202710246699009?p=p)

When Bills execs head West to interview Ken Whisenhunt, a prime target, and Ray Horton, also expected to take a crack at Chip Kelly...

</TBODY>

Russ claims that he wants to be innovative, forward thinking and progressive, all of which are attributes of Chip Kelly. Running a HIGH tempo, spread option offense with innovative ways to changes plays according to what the defense shows you is exactly what we need. FINALLY the NFL is waking up and realizing that mobile athletic QB's adds another threat outside of the pocket. Bill's execs are headed to AZ to interview Whisenhunt and every other assistant for the Cards, why I have no idea, but Kelly will be there as well and I'm hoping Russ is trying to get the first crack at making a pitch on why the Bills job is the best on the market for a change. High draft choices and money to sign key FA's could help make his case.

coastal
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
LMAO!!!!

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't know Jack about Chip Kelly. Is this guy worth the gamble?

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
LMAO!!!!

You are a worthless troll.

Wolffman
01-01-2013, 05:31 PM

He's 45-7 with 3 Pac-12 championships and 4 BCS Bowls in 4 years. He competed against a coach named Harbaugh and a quarterback named Luck and beat them. Pac-12 is a very strong, underrated conference and Oregon has dominated it the past 4 years.

So if you're into the idea of giving a college coach a shot in the NFL, he's the best you're going to do besides Saban.

coastal
01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
You are an insightful, albeit caustic poster.fixed it for u.

Typ0
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
He's 45-7 with 3 Pac-12 championships and 4 BCS Bowls in 4 years. He competed against a coach named Harbaugh and a quarterback named Luck and beat them. Pac-12 is a very strong, underrated conference and Oregon has dominated it the past 4 years.

7 is a lot of losses in college.

zone
01-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Yes.

Wolffman
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
7 is a lot of losses in college.

What kind of ridiculous standard are you comparing this to?

TigerJ
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm a bit wary of the fact that Chip Kelly has zero NFL experience. As a result he may not have many NFL contacts to exploit for staff building. It's not that I think the next Bills coach has to have been an NFL head coach, but I think that having been exposed to the NFL culture in some respect is a pretty important quality in a head coach candidate. It's what gives a guy like Dave Marrone a bit of an advantage even though his college resume isn't as impressive.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 05:55 PM
The Chip Kellys of the world are being considered because their Offense has a lot of motion, instead of a QB just standing in the pocket with a bullseye.

More pressure is shifted away from the QB and put on the RB's and WR's with speed. Load up on the skill positions and injuries become less of an issue.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 06:09 PM
What Kelly lacks in NFL experience he more than makes up for in cutting edge offensive schemes and concepts. This league is on the verge of an offensive transformation, the 3,5 and 7 step drop will become obsolete replaced by mutiple options in the backfield causing defenses to hesitate or get caught out of position. Kelly has mastered the high tempo game which wears down DLines, minimizes blitz schemes, and prevents situational substitutions. 3 downs and a cloud of dust is over! Speed and using the entire field drives defenses nuts

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
The offense of the NFL today has changed significantly. It's a passing game now just like it is in college. Chip Kelly would be a great hire. I don't think we as fans are lucky enough to get him.

Wolffman
01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I strongly recommend anyone not familiar with Chip Kelly watch Oregon play in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday night. It'll blow you away.

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I strongly recommend anyone not familiar with Chip Kelly watch Oregon play in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday night. It'll blow you away.
I'll be watching.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Kelly makes Harbaugh look like a novice with the way he manipulates a defense

madness
01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Yes, let's talk about Chip Kelly...NFL coaches show up just to learn how a team should practice..

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets-talk-about-chip-kelly/

kingJofNYC
01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
What Kelly lacks in NFL experience he more than makes up for in cutting edge offensive schemes and concepts. This league is on the verge of an offensive transformation, the 3,5 and 7 step drop will become obsolete replaced by mutiple options in the backfield causing defenses to hesitate or get caught out of position. Kelly has mastered the high tempo game which wears down DLines, minimizes blitz schemes, and prevents situational substitutions. 3 downs and a cloud of dust is over! Speed and using the entire field drives defenses nuts
Well said.

BillsFever21
01-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd gladly take a try and Chip Kelly but I highly doubt that will happen. In the past college coaches didn't fare very well because the NFL was a different game. The game has changed so much the past several seasons that you are seeing many college coaches having success in the NFL now.

Even teams that doesn't have a college HC are using much of the same formations and plays that they run in college. Hell the Redskins are almost a duplicate of the type of offense that RG3 ran in college but with some wrinkles to it. Usually I wouldn't want a college coach but I would take the chance of Kelly or another successful college coach.

That's basically what the NFL is turning into since you have rookies playing from day one. The spread formation along with many other offenses are being simulated in the NFL now to curb the learning curve of the young players stepping in right out of college to play in them. Before rookie QB's would rarely have any success in the NFL but now you have guys like Dalton, Luck, RG3 and Wilson who all took their team to the playoffs in their rookie year when their team was horrible the year before that.

YardRat
01-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Can't hurt to talk to him.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes, let's talk about Chip Kelly...NFL coaches show up just to learn how a team should practice..

"Bill Belichick brought Kelly in to Foxboro so the Patriots staff could pick his brain" has anyone taken notice that NE's up tempo offense is tearing teams apart, according to this article Belichick didn't let his ego prevent him from learning from a college coach who gets it. What makes Kelly unique is his ability to combine High Tempo with GREAT play calling according to what the defense presents at pre snap

Night Train
01-01-2013, 07:05 PM

That was a great read. I'd love that gamble, after 13 + boring years.

Night Train
01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Just offer Chip Kelly insane $$, like 5 years 35-40 mil. Succeed or fail, we'd have something exciting to watch and a nation would be watching. Could you imagine Spiller on pitchouts in motion ?

But why try, when we can get the clueless, boring LOVIE !

Cleve
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately, I tend to concur with Night Train's assessment. I wager the Bills will go conservative, or be forced to do so, because no one desirable will be truly interested in working in Buffalo.

streetkings01
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
All I know is I was watching one Oregon game and the score was 14-7 Ducks..............ran out to the car to bring some luggage in and the score was 31-7 Ducks........I'd love to give Chip Kelly a shot.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Hope springs eternal. But chip Kelly is not coming to buffalo. Sad but true. He makes plenty of money where he is..it's not a money thing, it's an ego thing... He's going where hw has a chance of success. In spite of today, there is nothing to show that any thing will be different... I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this movie way too often.

IAG
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Chip Kelly is a very smart football man. However, there is no way he can run his Oregon offense in the pros. He might adapt a great offense to what is the NFL, but what you see on Thursday will not be what you would see on Sunday's.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
I'll bet Kansas State spent the month conditioning for this game. Could you imagine Wilfork's fat ass trying to get up off the ground for the next play. IF Brandon is sincere about being innovative, as with Williams, he won't take NO for an answer. I'm convinced Kelly will revolutionize the NFL

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Hope springs eternal. But chip Kelly is not coming to buffalo. Sad but true. He makes plenty of money where he is..it's not a money thing, it's an ego thing... He's going where hw has a chance of success. In spite of today, there is nothing to show that any thing will be different... I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this movie way too often.

There wasn't a single person on this board who wasn't saying the same thing about Mario, and we got him, unfortunately he left his stats in Houston. I'll give Brandon a chance to prove his words today true

better days
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Great. Now we can go get Tebow, he would be the perfect QB for Kellys offense.

IAG
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Chip Kelly will not revolutionize the NFL...by the way, who is his QB?

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
That was a great read. I'd hire him just based on that article. Lol

Bmax
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
"Bill Belichick brought Kelly in to Foxboro so the Patriots staff could pick his brain" has anyone taken notice that NE's up tempo offense is tearing teams apart, according to this article Belichick didn't let his ego prevent him from learning from a college coach who gets it. What makes Kelly unique is his ability to combine High Tempo with GREAT play calling according to what the defense presents at pre snap

Yes this will make the Belichick lovers want him alot now...I think he will be a good coach....Best fit would be San Diego...KC or Buffalo.. Cleveland will throw money.. Might not wanna be in afc east against his buddy bill .. but i doubt if he really cares about that...SD he has Rivers..KC..1ST PICK TO GET QB.. plus charles...Buffalo spiller top 10 pick and def line to build with...

cookie G
01-01-2013, 08:21 PM

The good of Oregon's offense (probably cut by a Duck's fan):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/peOezkC5rcM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the Not-So-Good of an Oregon offense (probably cut by an LSU fan):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSV4PQVmvDQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A fun offense to watch, without a doubt. They use lots of track stars and try to outrun an opponent. They're usually successful.

But they've been held in check by teams like LSU, Ohio State, Auburn, and this year...Stanford. When the D back seven can pursue laterally, and the D line gets pressure, they can be held in check.

how well that would work in the NFL...a good guess. The problem with the NFL, as any rookie QB will say, is the speed of the game. It isn't quite as easy outrunning an NFL defense as it is in college.

Tatonka
01-01-2013, 08:28 PM

He's my top choice.. Watch the oregon vs. k state bowl game coming up. watch his no huddle super fast pace offense run. It's a thing of beauty. He's aggressive, young, and innovative. I'd love it.

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 08:37 PM
He's my top choice. Watch the oregon vs. k state bowl game coming up. watch his no huddle super fast pace offense run. It's a thing of beauty. He's aggressive, young, and innovative. I'd love it.
Will do.

I honestly don't know how you guys keep up with everything. I watch and follow the Bills and the Irish. That's near 8 hours of game and prep each weekend. I catch the occasional SEC & ACC game on Saturday. NFL on Sunday, Monday, an Thursday night. None of that includes this board, web surfing, my job, my wife and my two kids. Before the family I used to eat, sleep and **** football but even then there wasn't enough time in the day for everything. lol

RedEyE
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
The good of Oregon's offense (probably cut by a Duck's fan):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/peOezkC5rcM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

the Not-So-Good of an Oregon offense (probably cut by an LSU fan):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSV4PQVmvDQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

A fun offense to watch, without a doubt. They use lots of track stars and try to outrun an opponent. They're usually successful.

But they've been held in check by teams like LSU, Ohio State, Auburn, and this year...Stanford. When the D back seven can pursue laterally, and the D line gets pressure, they can be held in check.

how well that would work in the NFL...a good guess. The problem with the NFL, as any rookie QB will say, is the speed of the game. It isn't quite as easy outrunning an NFL defense as it is in college.
Some would disagree but Gailey's offense has many similarities. Obviously no where near as successful. Thnx for the video.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 09:03 PM
What the video doesnt show is the fatigue factor which leads to mistakes the offense takes advantage of. In the NFL he would have a legit run pass threat with his QB hes doing this with a freshman QB.

THRILLHO
01-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I know nothing about Chip Kelly or any college football. I just like seeing our name being tied to so many candidates. It shows that at the very least we are considering all available options.

Thundering Buffalo
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Time to see if Brandon can back his words up to action. We've spent 13 seasons getting smoke blown up our asses about promises and potential lets see if he's any different now that he's got COMPLETE control.

Beebe
01-01-2013, 11:06 PM
How many good QB's has CHIP KELLY produce that made it in the NFL?

Wolffman
01-01-2013, 11:23 PM

Most college coaches don't care how their players translate to the pros as long as they win games. See: Tebow.

kishoph
01-02-2013, 03:36 AM
There wasn't a single person on this board who wasn't saying the same thing about Mario, and we got him, unfortunately he left his stats in Houston. I'll give Brandon a chance to prove his words today true

? Statistically speaking, Williams had his best season in 4 years.

As far as Chip Kelly goes, I would love for the Bills to take a shot with him, something needs to change, hiring NFL retreads has not worked for the Bills, other than Marv Levy.

cookie G
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Some would disagree but Gailey's offense has many similarities. Obviously no where near as successful. Thnx for the video.

In a way, yeah. It IS a version of a spread offense. But it has a running QB component through a read option. And of course the major difference is that it is run as a hurry up, and is about as balls-to-the-walls as you can get.

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
? Statistically speaking, Williams had his best season in 4 years.

As far as Chip Kelly goes, I would love for the Bills to take a shot with him, something needs to change, hiring NFL retreads has not worked for the Bills, other than Marv Levy.My only issue is this:

Why would players with a losers mentality listen to a new HC who has never coached in the NFL at all?

Pedigree matters. It's major reason Cowher and Gruden appeal to me. Both would blast some of the lackluster sloppy play on the field and both have the pedigree that says when I talk you should listen.

jamze132
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
As nice as Gruden and Cowher would be, it's highly unlikely.

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
As nice as Gruden and Cowher would be, it's highly unlikely.
I think it's even less likely than that.

But, it's a dream and I can dream.

cookie G
01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
What the video doesnt show is the fatigue factor which leads to mistakes the offense takes advantage of. In the NFL he would have a legit run pass threat with his QB hes doing this with a freshman QB.

That's probably not the best video to show fatigue factor, as they were down by about 3 TD's before any fatigue factor would have set in.

Of course, there are dozens where it would be a factor.

I think the bigger factor, especially in the NFL, is the substitution factor. What the Bills, and later the Colts, showed was that a hurry up keeps D's from making situational substitutions.

kishoph
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
My only issue is this:

Why would players with a losers mentality listen to a new HC who has never coached in the NFL at all?

Why wouldn't they ? As long as he has something that they'll buy into, it doesn't matter where he coached.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
That's probably not the best video to show fatigue factor, as they were down by about 3 TD's before any fatigue factor would have set in.

Of course, there are dozens where it would be a factor.

I think the bigger factor, especially in the NFL, is the substitution factor. What the Bills, and later the Colts, showed was that a hurry up keeps D's from making situational substitutions.

You can't fatigue the opponent unless you can stay on the field. And you can't stay on the field without a QB. Chip Kelly would fail just as miserably as Gailey with Fitz under center. We need an RG3 more than we need a coach.

GingerP
01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

His system is actually more run-based.

You can take this further and see that Oregon hasn't produced a lot of highly-drafted, successful NFL players compared to other top programs. I think this is one thing that teams like about Kelly, that he has won despite not being an NFL farm system like USC, Alabama or Florida.

Typ0
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
we need a coach AND a QB.

madness
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
My only issue is this:

Pedigree matters. It's major reason Cowher and Gruden appeal to me. Both would blast some of the lackluster sloppy play on the field and both have the pedigree that says when I talk you should listen.

As far as Browns safety T.J. Ward's concerned, Kelly, his former coach with the Ducks, is ready to make the leap from college to the pros.

"I think the players in the NFL would respect him and they will respect how he approaches you," Ward said. "He lets you do your job. In college, he treated us like pros. I think that's what players respect and appreciate about him."

Thundering Buffalo
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Brandon and Whaley are speaking Kelly's language, analytics, progressive, innovative, forward thinking could you imagine CJ and Stevie in this offense...Holy Crap! Kelly will be looking for an ORGANIZATION that shares his vision, Russ used those words for a reason and I think it was to let Kelly know they are on the same page for the future. Hell he's already been seen with the Bills Brass at the hotel. It's on boys we just have to BILLIEVE!!

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Brandon and Whaley are speaking Kelly's language, analytics, progressive, innovative, forward thinking could you imagine CJ and Stevie in this offense...Holy Crap! Kelly will be looking for an ORGANIZATION that shares his vision, Russ used those words for a reason and I think it was to let Kelly know they are on the same page for the future. Hell he's already been seen with the Bills Brass at the hotel. It's on boys we just have to BILLIEVE!!

when was this????

X-Era
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
As far as Browns safety T.J. Ward's concerned, Kelly, his former coach with the Ducks, is ready to make the leap from college to the pros.

"I think the players in the NFL would respect him and they will respect how he approaches you," Ward said. "He lets you do your job. In college, he treated us like pros. I think that's what players respect and appreciate about him."And what happens when they don't? Does Chip have the pedigree to force them to?

Plenty of guys quit on this team in games this year. They didn't do their jobs. That makes that approach ineffective.

Cowher and Gruden have the clout to demand respect just from what they have done. Kelly does not. That's the point here.

madness
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
And what happens when they don't? Does Chip have the pedigree to force them to?

Plenty of guys quit on this team in games this year. They didn't do their jobs. That makes that approach ineffective.

Cowher and Gruden have the clout to demand respect just from what they have done. Kelly does not. That's the point here.

Oregon players practice harder than any other team in the nation and most NFL teams. They all buy into his philosophy and go all out on the field. NFL coaches have attended his practice to find out how to get the most out of their players. Trust me, you're reaching here.

Jeff1220
01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the OP title is a typo and should say: "LaConforna Tweet Bills on crack if they think they'll get Kelly"

Thundering Buffalo
01-02-2013, 07:17 PM
when was this????

Check out the Quentin Gordon tweet

Thundering Buffalo
01-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Check out the Quentin Gordon tweet

Quentin Groves

Fixxxer
01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
we need a coach AND a QB.

We need a coach that understands that without a great QB you're going nowhere.

Thundering Buffalo
01-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Now that Buffalo is one of 3 teams going after C Kelly the heat has just been turned up on Russ, can’t wait to see if he’s a closer or a poser. The pieces to the puzzle are filling in nicely, talking with Gruden, Kelly in Buffalo last year as Offensive Consultant I’m sure that exposure with Bills Brass will help, and now an official interview. Hoping the Arizona interviews were a smoke screen for the REAL prize

Tatonka
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
i think the players are smart enough to know the exposure and hype around chip kelly.. these players watch college ball and hear everything we do. i think they would all welcome the change. they know what they have been doing doesnt work..

My only issue is this:

Tatonka
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
i gamble on football. i have probably watched 40 hours of football in the past week. I take the week after xmas off specifically to watch bowl games.. i spend most of saturday and sunday during football season watching.. and what i cant see, i watch the highlights later that night.. its typically to try and make money, so i put in time researching and reading.. sometimes i dont know how i find the time either.. but i always do. it probably helps that i have three tv's running games on sat/sunday as well.

I honestly don't know how you guys keep up with everything. I watch and follow the Bills and the Irish. That's near 8 hours of game and prep each weekend. I catch the occasional SEC & ACC game on Saturday. NFL on Sunday, Monday, an Thursday night. None of that includes this board, web surfing, my job, my wife and my two kids. Before the family I used to eat, sleep and **** football but even then there wasn't enough time in the day for everything. lol

Tatonka
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
i will add.. out of all the college ball i watch.. oregon games are by far the most exciting.. have been for years.

coastal
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
LMAO!!!!
:rofl: