• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

BBD: Alex Smith to the Bills?

If you don’t follow our official Twitter account then here is one great reason to do so. NFL Network analyst Ian Rapoport asked the following question on Twitter about the interest and ability of the Bills to have Ken Whisenhunt and San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith work together.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: BBD: Alex Smith to the Bills?

I'd rather watch Chip Kelly and Tajh Boyd work together.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TrEd FTW
      • Sep 2008

I like him better than Vick and Fitz, but talk about damning with faint praise.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

I know this has been speculated by many but with the comments from Rapoport I thought it was appropriate to write and post this.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• coastal
          Legendary Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Yes... I'd take him.

He's worlds better than Fitzpatrick, ran a power run oriented offense, and has playoff experience.

Plus we are not going to find any rookie options stand any realistic chance of matching his productivity.

Russ Brandon will find the analytics here in favor of signing him.
          Last edited by coastal; 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

So, hire a HC who went 5-11 this year (worse record than the HC we just fired) has a grand total of two more wins over the past 3 years that the HC we just fired...

Then, sign another QB that's approaching 30 that got benched in favor of a guy that we could have drafted in the second round just last year, but passed up on him for Aaron Williams...

Yeah, let's keep trying coaches that aren't good enough for the teams that finish worse than us and let's keep signing backup QB's and making them starters... Because that's worked so well in the past.

-Bill

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

I would take him if the price was cheap but our team needs a long term solution. The only way this team would be a QB away from contending is if we ended up with a Peyton Manning scenario which isn't going to happen.

I would take him as a stop gap QB for a year or two while we groomed another one but that would be the most and if only the price was reasonable.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                So, hire a HC who went 5-11 this year (worse record than the HC we just fired) has a grand total of two more wins over the past 3 years that the HC we just fired...

Then, sign another QB that's approaching 30 that got benched in favor of a guy that we could have drafted in the second round just last year, but passed up on him for Aaron Williams...

Yeah, let's keep trying coaches that aren't good enough for the teams that finish worse than us and let's keep signing backup QB's and making them starters... Because that's worked so well in the past.

-Bill
                The Whiz argument has been made in another thread so I won't make it here. Smith is worlds better than Fitz imo. Safe with the football, accurate, and can take a shot down field. He's only a temporary fit.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• streetkings01
                  • Jul 2006

-Bill
                  I totally agree with this
                  You can call me streetkings

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    The Whiz argument has been made in another thread so I won't make it here. Smith is worlds better than Fitz imo. Safe with the football, accurate, and can take a shot down field. He's only a temporary fit.

We can still draft a guy..in this sceario to develop.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole View Post
                      We can still draft a guy..in this sceario to develop.
                      As the article states.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

Smith is worlds better than Fitz imo. Safe with the football, accurate, and can take a shot down field. He's only a temporary fit.
                        But, apparently, Smith is not better than a second year player that we could have drafted just last season.

On top of that, I don't recall anyone praising Alex Smith in San Francisco until Jim Harbaugh got there... The first 6 years of his career, most considered him a bust.

Rookie QB's don't need 3-4 years on the bench anymore. The Bills already have a pretty darn good offensive line, so it's not like he'd be getting pounded back there, either. Get your coaching staff in place and see who he wants to draft at QB. Hell, that should be a question the Bills ask while interviewing. Then, let the kid play. Again, he'd have a good line in front of him (provided you resign Levitre) has Spiller in the backfield and Stevie at WR... A Free Agent WR wouldn't be bad, either.

I want there to be no excuses as to why the Bills don't draft a Quarterback. No "temporary fit" to avoid it, either.

-Bill

Comment

• nolimit
                          Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                          • Aug 2003

As the article states.
                          I'm guessing it would take a 1st Or a 2nd...not willing to give that up.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

But, apparently, Smith is not better than a second year player that we could have drafted just last season.

On top of that, I don't recall anyone praising Alex Smith in San Francisco until Jim Harbaugh got there... The first 6 years of his career, most considered him a bust.

Rookie QB's don't need 3-4 years on the bench anymore. The Bills already have a pretty darn good offensive line, so it's not like he'd be getting pounded back there, either. Get your coaching staff in place and see who he wants to draft at QB. Hell, that should be a question the Bills ask while interviewing. Then, let the kid play. Again, he'd have a good line in front of him (provided you resign Levitre) has Spiller in the backfield and Stevie at WR... A Free Agent WR wouldn't be bad, either.

I want there to be no excuses as to why the Bills don't draft a Quarterback. No "temporary fit" to avoid it, either.

-Bill
                            We didn't draft him hindsight is always 20/20.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by nolimit View Post
                            As the article indicated it is expected he'll be released.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by nolimit View Post
                              Alex Smith will likley be released, meaning the Bills won't have to give up a draft pick for him.

What it DOES mean is that, if the Bills ended up signing him, they wouldn't daft a QB until Round 2 (at earlist) and even then, the kid would likley sit.

I'm against that, which is a big reason I don't want Alex Smith. I want the Bills to get a QB within the first couple rounds and I want them to play him. As I said beofre, rookies QB's don't need to sit anymore and I don't want Smith to have a few good games, after which the Bills sign him to a multi-million dollar extension, like they did with Fitzpatrick.

They've already wasted one draft pick on a QB (Tavaris Jackson) and they didn't even bother to dress him... Stop going after other teams' damaged goods, draft your own guy and develop him, as Nix has said has been his philosophy since day 1.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X