PDA

View Full Version : Reading between the press conference lines...

Pride
01-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Today's press conference provided great insight into the inner workings of OBD the passed 10+ years. This is what I heard:

Ralph Wilson was fully involved in decision making for football operations all along.
Nix had less power than we may have thought.
Ralph is NOT in good health
Russ had at least 4 father figures in his life.
Due to Ralphs health, change was slow to happen.
Littman worked directly for Ralph, not with Nix/Brandon

Russ did a wonderful job of redirecting pointed questions about Ralphs inability to properly manage this team... repeatefly stating that it now starts and stops with Russ.

Anyone else catch anything between the lines?

BillsWin
01-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Well you touched on why I think this is the first real change to come to the Bills in a long time.

While Buffalo fans will point to the fact that they did promote from within (So how is that change?) I argue that you look at where the change occurred.

I think Ralph meddled more than we all know. Of course Russ or anyone else within the organization would never come out and say it.

But I think the reasons behind so many awful decisions from coaches to players came straight from the top.

Now you put a guy in there that is money savvy and emotionally invested in the brand. Someone who was directly involved with a new lease and bringing in an extra 80 mill in the Toronto initiative (no matter how much I hate it, that's money the Bills need)

While he is absolutely inept in football decisions, he said he will not be making those, he will empower others. Which I don't believe Nix is a good evaluator of player talent and has drafted well.

So I believe this move was much more significant than many think.

The man that has been the one constant in over a decade of futlity has now stepped down. Be happy, cautiously happy, but happy.

TacklingDummy
01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Ralph will still have the final day. It's his money. Wouldn't you?

TigerJ
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I think it is a given that if Ralph doesn't like what's happening, any of the changes that were announced today can be rescinded or tweaked. In that sense, Ralph is still in charge. However, the guy is 94 years old and he definitely is not going to be capable of keeping close tabs on all that goes on in the way that he used to. I would guess that Brandon is still going to call him pretty regularly and tell him what's going on, but Nix is not. Nix is going to report only to Brandon. How Littman figures into the structure and chain of command, I have no idea.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Nix was very coy on when the change to Whaley will take place. My between the lines reading is it's happening after the draft.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2013, 05:10 AM
i hear you guys, but my only problem with all of this is that Ralph DID give full autonomy to someone just 12 years ago. so just because he is no longer meddling doesn't mean anything will change

better days
01-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Nix was very coy on when the change to Whaley will take place. My between the lines reading is it's happening after the draft.

Nix really bristeled when reporters tried to pin him to that. He may retire after the draft, but I think it is more likely he stays another year. He said he wanted to acquire a Franchise QB before he goes & there may not be one of those in this draft. Nix also said the Bills will draft a QB & may sign a FA QB as well. I think the writing is on the wall for Fitz he is gone.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-02-2013, 05:37 AM
The fact that Nix and the new coach do not have to call Ralph every day is really big in my opinion. It means Ralph is not pluged in nearly as much as he does. Of course he can still demand that like he did with Donahoe despite he gave Donahoe the same authority 10 years ago. Ralph being 94 not 84, physically he will not be able to keep as much as he did; also Brandon is one of his most trusted people, unlike Donahoe who is complete stranger from outside. There is a much better chance for success this time around.

Of course much depends on Brandon himself. I'm not so much concerned about hm meddling with football decisions. The key is the ability to hire good people, something the Rooney famility tree has been able to do with the Steelers. I'm actually a bit worried that he may be bullied by people like Nix, Littman etc who are more senior and have more roots in the organization than he does.

YardRat
01-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Ralph having the final say does not = meddling.
We've all known that Ralph is getting old, and his health has been on a downward curve.
We've also known that Littman was RW's little henchboy.

Night Train
01-02-2013, 06:11 AM
So after the Draft, It will be the Brandon/Whaley show from here on out. Both are young and that's about it. Watch and learn.

They need to get the right coach with direction.. or this doesn't change much of anything.

ThunderGun
01-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Russ had at least 4 father figures in his life.

hahahahahaha