PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want about Mario Williams - $100 mil puts Bills on top coaches radar

K-Gun
01-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I keep hearing Bills fans saying "no one wants to come to Buffalo." As if no real NFL coaching candidate would want to be part of the organization.

That $100 million dollar contract changes everything. Nothing talks in the NFL like money.

If the Bills are willing to pay that kind of dough for a player, you better believe any and every coach are all ears when the Bills phone.

Just saying

coastal
01-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Fools Gold!

lets drive the price up on precious commodities that have no intrinsic value anyways!

analytics even Brandon can get behind!

The King
01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
You have to start somewhere and you know that we're going to lose the players choice if it's between us and 80% of the other organizations, so you have to sweeten the pot until you pile up on W's then you can cut back on $.

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree. Paying Mario all that tells coaching candidates that the bills are willing to spend whether or not its was a good move.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I get what you're saying and on the surface, it kinda makes sense.

But, you must also keep in mind that the player salaries are covered by the revenue from the TV contracts. The money for Front Office staff (which includes GM's, coaches, etc) are not. The re is no limit on how much (or how little) must be spent on Front Office staff. Many teams, including the Bills have traditionally gone "on the cheap" when it comes to hiring in those departments.

Also, keep in mind that, starting in the 2013 season, there is now a "salary floor" for players, which means teams must spend a minimum of 88.8% of the entire cap. That wasn't true in past years. So, if they hadn't spent the money on Mario, it would have had to be spent somewhere, starting with this upcoming offseason. Again, there are no such minimum limits that the teams can spend on Front Office personnel.

In short, just because they gave Mario $100 million doesn't mean that all of a sudden, they're going to go out and pay top dollar for a Coaching Staff. The money for players was gonna have to be spent anyway... Nothing says how much (or how little) they must spend when hiring coaches.

-Bill

Joe Fo Sho
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
I get what you're saying and on the surface, it kinda makes sense.

But, you must also keep in mind that the player salaries are covered by the revenue from the TV contracts. The money for Front Office staff (which includes GM's, coaches, etc) are not. The re is no limit on how much (or how little) must be spent on Front Office staff. Many teams, including the Bills have traditionally gone "on the cheap" when it comes to hiring in those departments.

Also, keep in mind that, starting in the 2013 season, there is now a "salary floor" for players, which means teams must spend a minimum of 88.8% of the entire cap. That wasn't true in past years. So, if they hadn't spent the money on Mario, it would have had to be spent somewhere, starting with this upcoming offseason. Again, there are no such minimum limits that the teams can spend on Front Office personnel.

In short, just because they gave Mario $100 million doesn't mean that all of a sudden, they're going to go out and pay top dollar for a Coaching Staff. The money for players was gonna have to be spent anyway... Nothing says how much (or how little) they must spend when hiring coaches.

-Bill

Right, but if I'm a high profile coach and they offer me a salary that I'd normally accept, the fact that the Bills have shown that they're willing to spend the money on a single high profile player and also that a high profile player was willing to come to Buffalo are both positives. It shows that they're willing to go out and get a player that they feel will help the team. I'd no longer be deterred from signing because of Buffalo's history.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Right, but if I'm a high profile coach and they offer me a salary that I'd normally accept, the fact that the Bills have shown that they're willing to spend the money on a single high profile player and also that a high profile player was willing to come to Buffalo are both positives. It shows that they're willing to go out and get a player that they feel will help the team. I'd no longer be deterred from signing because of Buffalo's history.

Fair enough... But, who's to say that the Bills will continue to do it? Just because they do something once over a prolonged period, doesn't mean that it'll be the case constantly. Like I said, that money was gonna have to be spent somewhere this offseason. Was it done to improve the team, or to make a "big splash" and sell tickets and jerseys, like the Terrell Owens deal a couple years back. Last I checked, signing Mario didn't change the Bills' record at all.

The Front Office has two prime chances on the player side to show that they are going to spend in an effort to improve the team. Levitre and Byrd are both eligible for Free Agency. Both are going to want paid. Now, do they go out and spend on keeping their own players, as they have preached, or do they let one, or both of them go, and spend the money on a "high profile" Free Agent (which they said they don't like to do, by the way) that will sell more tickets and jerseys than Levitre and Byrd likely would?

It's not always about spending big money... it's about spending it in the right places and on the right people.

-Bill

Joe Fo Sho
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Fair enough... But, who's to say that the Bills will continue to do it? Just because they do something once over a prolonged period, doesn't mean that it'll be the case constantly. Like I said, that money was gonna have to be spent somewhere this offseason. Was it done to improve the team, or to make a "big splash" and sell tickets and jerseys, like the Terrell Owens deal a couple years back. Last I checked, signing Mario didn't change the Bills' record at all.

The Front Office has two prime chances on the player side to show that they are going to spend in an effort to improve the team. Levitre and Byrd are both eligible for Free Agency. Both are going to want paid. Now, do they go out and spend on keeping their own players, as they have preached, or do they let one, or both of them go, and spend the money on a "high profile" Free Agent (which they said they don't like to do, by the way) that will sell more tickets and jerseys than Levitre and Byrd likely would?

It's not always about spending big money... it's about spending it in the right places and on the right people.

-Bill

Yeah, but any team can change their policy on anything. I just think that the Mario Williams signing can't be viewed as a negative to any prospective coach.

And if I get an offer to coach this team, the offer had better include a plan to resign both Byrd and Levitre.

kishoph
01-02-2013, 10:36 AM

-Bill

It hasn't been only once, according to Brandon they've been above the league average for the last ten years and I have no reason to doubt that if you look at some of the contracts they have given players in the past.

The Bills are not an ugly prospect for any coach, they've shown they'll spend, they have one of the best RB's in the league, a top receiver (despite what some think) they have solid O-line and D-line (if coached right) and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, with the promise to bring in a QB. Add to that the new lease, a great fan base (aside from message boards), plus no longer the fear of a meddling 94 year old owner and the Bills job seems pretty attractive.

THRILLHO
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree, and am still supportive of the signing. Super happy we have him and can't wait to see what he does for us this year.

However, one splash free agent signing will not convince anyone. We need to show we have a true commitment to winning by doing whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. I am not saying go out there and sign one of the most sought after free agents every year, but show that we not only have the plan but also are willing to do what it takes to get it.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
It hasn't been only once, according to Brandon they've been above the league average for the last ten years and I have no reason to doubt that if you look at some of the contracts they have given players in the past.

Spending above the league average doesn't mean anything if you spend it on the wrong players. There are also a fair amount of ex-Bills currently on other teams that are doing pretty well, that the Bills felt were too expensive, too old, or too whatever. London Fletcher, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner are a few off the top of my head.

The Bills are not an ugly prospect for any coach, they've shown they'll spend, they have one of the best RB's in the league, a top receiver (despite what some think) they have solid O-line and D-line (if coached right) and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, with the promise to bring in a QB. Add to that the new lease, a great fan base (aside from message boards), plus no longer the fear of a meddling 94 year old owner and the Bills job seems pretty attractive.

I never said that they were an "ugly prospect." Again, showing they spend isn't the same as spending correctly. As for whether or not it's an attractive job, I guess we'll see how attractive it really is, based on who is actually signed to become the next head coach. Fan or media opinions likely don't really matter to the coaches that are actually being offered the position. If the person being offered the job doesn't like it, it doesn't matter how attractive or unattractive the fans or media think the job is.

-Bill

Historian
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I agree. Paying Mario all that tells coaching candidates that the bills are willing to spend whether or not its was a good move.

Yes, it does.

Then cheaping out on HCs and Coordinators really make us look attractive, as the players know they can coast here, and earn a fat contract based on past experience.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Fools Gold!

lets drive the price up on precious commodities that have no intrinsic value anyways!

analytics even Brandon can get behind!

Did Mario steal your lunch money or knock up your wife?

I'm curious because you seem to have a personal vendetta against the guy.