PDA

View Full Version : Where's the love for John Mitchell?

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Current Steeler Asst. Head Coach and DLine coach. 61 years old.

Has served under Bear Bryant, Lou Holtz, Bruce Arians, Bill Arnsparger, Mike Archer, Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Dick LeBeau, and Mike Tomlin.

As a coach (wins):
2 SuperBowls
4 AFC Championships
1 NCAA National Championship
4 SEC Championships (and another 2 as a player)
1 SWC Championship

This guy should be topping the list of every team in need of a coach. I would hope with Whaley's Steelers ties he might convince him to come to Buffalo.

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
This guy should be topping the list of every team in need of a coach.I would hope with Whaley's Steelers ties he might convince him to come to Buffalo.

seems like you're the only one thinking about him. Not even Whaley has him in his radar. Thats saying something

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
seems like you're the only one thinking about him. Not even Whaley has him in his radar. Thats saying something
With the resume this guy has it definitly makes you wonder. Obviously Pittsburgh likes him well enough to promote him to Asst HC over LeBeau...or LeBeau's successor. Could be that the 75 year old LeBeau is calling it quits this off season.

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 11:15 AM
With the resume this guy has it definitly makes you wonder. Obviously Pittsburgh likes him well enough to promote him to Asst HC over LeBeau...or LeBeau's successor. Could be that the 75 year old LeBeau is calling it quits this off season.

Bobby April was promoted to Asst. HC. ;)

IF he was majorly responsible for the achievements you posted, there would be a big buzz . Word would have gotten around. Guys like McCoy are talked about and he isn't.

psubills62
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Not sure how it applies to Assistant HC's, but I know that position coaches can be blocked by the team from interviewing for HC openings.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Bobby April was promoted to Asst. HC. ;)

IF he was majorly responsible for the achievements you posted, there would be a big buzz . Word would have gotten around. Guys like McCoy are talked about and he isn't.
I don't understand your Bobby April comparison but thats OK. And a guy doesn't just have that many coincidental achievments and handed a primer leadership role because someone else got him there. I have to think there are immediate future plans for the guy in Pittsburgh and everyone in the "know" is aware and not bothering to pursue him because of it. Regardless, until I hear reason otherwise, Mitchell tops my wish list.

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't understand your Bobby April comparison but thats OK. And a guy doesn't just have that many coincidental achievments and handed a primer leadership role because someone else got him there.Just because April was a HC didn't mean he was HC material. this could be the same case.

I have to think there are immediate future plans for the guy in Pittsburgh and everyone in the "know" is aware and not bothering to pursue him because of it. Until I hear anyone confirm this, then I can't see him being anything but someone who was just around there. Just like Whaley was around in the sb years but doesn't mean he was highly responsible for the sb wins. Difference is, there was/is a buzz about Whaley being an up and coming GM/talent evaluator .No one is talking about Mitchell or even lining him up for an interview.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/football/24steelers.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Found a NY Times article about John Mitchell written in 2009. It was stated then that he was planning on retiring 3-4 years and that could be the reason for lack of interest. But then again the guy has never been handed the reigns...might be convinced if he's slightly bit interested.