PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Groves, Arizona LB says Bills' next coach is Chip Kelly

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/QuentinGroves/status/286505408355500033

Chip Kelly is gonna be Buffalo's next head coach!! You heard it here first! @AdamSchefter

Interesting, since Groves played for the Arizona coaches that the Bills were reportedly heading out to see... Groves will also be a FA once the offseason starts.

-Bill

Slim
01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Interesting. I want to know what makes him think this.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Interesting for sure but you have to wonder if he was just making a bold perdictioin versus having any inside information.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I see from the link that Coach Sal is on it. Curious to see what he digs up.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Other interesting notes:

Jon Gruden, who is apparently good friends with Chip Kelly, is also good friends with Russ Brandon (according to Brandon, anyway). IIRC, Kelly actually offered the Oregon OC job to Gruden, as Gruden wanted to learn his system.

Chip Kelly was also at Bills' Training Camp this past summer...

Dunno how much truth there is to this, but interesting notes, nonetheless.

-Bill

GingerP
01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Would be an interesting development, but I could care less about Groves being a free agent. The guy blows.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Just like any other "you heard it here first" post, it's a total crapshoot, but it's brilliant if it sticks.

IAG
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Overrated coach.

delectrolux
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't know much about him beyond his fast-paced spread offense but I read this on wikipedia and now I'm totally on board:

Kelly gained national acclaim for responding to a season ticket holder's letter demanding a refund for his expenses after traveling to see Oregon's 19–8 loss to Boise State (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_State_Broncos_football). Kelly replied to the man with a personal check written out for his travel costs (exactly $439): in response, the fan wrote him a thank-you note enclosing the original check, which he did not cash and made copies to frame.

jimmifli
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't know much about him beyond his fast-paced spread offense but I read this on wikipedia and now I'm totally on board:

I know it's just optics, but that kind of personal responsibility is what makes it possible to hold others accountable. It's good leadership.

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I didn't know about the Brandon connection but did about Kelly and Gruden and was wondering to myself last night if the Bills were talking to Jon concerning Chip, not Jay, as earlier reported.

Even still, Kelly has to be in full Bowl prep mode right now and based on everything I've recently read about Kelly, he wouldn't even entertain conversation about his future present time. At least until the bowl is over.

But then again if they are friends I guess a short discussion isnt exactly out of the question.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Just like any other "you heard it here first" post, it's a total crapshoot, but it's brilliant if it sticks.

Agreed... My question is, why would a player currently under contract to the Cardinals be talking about another team's Head Coaching search? Assuming he is wanting to stay in ARZ, shouldn't he be keeping quiet, or talking about the Cardinals' coaching search?

BTW the Bills are expected to interview Ray Horton today, the Cardinals' Defensive Coordinator. It's also worth noting that the defensive staff was retained in Arizona.

-Bill

Bangarang
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Curious as to how his system would translate in the NFL.

jimmifli
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM

I'm not sure I see him as a system guy. More of an effectual thinker, he looks at what he has and figures out what he can do with it vs coming up with a plan and then assembling the resources.

jamze132
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM

If you have RG3, Cam Newton, Or Russell Wilson it translates nicely. Not so much with Fitz.

Skooby
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd take him in a NY minute, the guy is brilliant & with the right pieces we'd be good.

elltrain22
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Chip Kelly would probably usher in the signing of Vick, which then would hopefully usher in a capable slot receiver. Think about an offense w/ Chip Kelly's brain, Vick's tools, Spiller's game-breaking talent, Freddie, Stevie, etc, etc. Not to shabby.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
If you have RG3, Cam Newton, Or Russell Wilson it translates nicely. Not so much with Fitz.

The only QB on the Bills roster that I could see running Chip Kelly's offense would be Tavaris Jackson... Not saying I like that scenario, but, like I said, he's the QB currently on the Bills roster I could see it working with.

-Bill

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
The only QB on the Bills roster that I could see running Chip Kelly's offense would be Tavaris Jackson... Not saying I like that scenario, but, like I said, he's the QB currently on the Bills roster I could see it working with.

-BillGeno Smith seems to make sense if we go with Kelly

The Jokeman
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Interesting, since Groves played for the Arizona coaches that the Bills were reportedly heading out to see... Groves will also be a FA once the offseason starts.

-Bill

First things I noticed he was linking it to Shefter, which tells me he was tongue in cheek joking with Adam who seems to break all NFL news faster than everyone else. He might also know enough about Kelly running the spread offense like the Bills have done which makes a strong connection between the two. Yet because he has no ties to Kelly don't think he can be count as a reliable source.

jamze132
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
-Bill
I agree, I just didn't want to jinx it like you just did. LOL

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Geno Smith seems to make sense if we go with Kelly

If he's there when the Bills pick... Or, if they can trade up to get him... Both are big "If's"

-Bill

jamze132
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Geno Smith seems to make sense if we go with Kelly

So what are you willing to give KC for that right? Gino Smith is going #1 overall even though he has no business being there. If KC was smart, they would go after Kelly. Picking first in the draft can be pretty enticing for a new HC.

Night Train
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I would buy tickets again if Chip Kelly was hired. His offense is the most exciting show in college by a country mile.

Succeed or fail, it would be the most entertaining team we've seen in 13 years. Opposing DC's would be pulling their hair out, trying to prepare for him.

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
So what are you willing to give KC for that right? Gino Smith is going #1 overall even though he has no business being there. If KC was smart, they would go after Kelly. Picking first in the draft can be pretty enticing for a new HC.
I will be very surprised if Geno goes in the top 5. His ranking would not support that.

I really don't see that happening at this point.

streetkings01
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
You heard it here first........the Buffalo Bills will sign a new HC soon.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
First things I noticed he was linking it to Shefter, which tells me he was tongue in cheek joking with Adam who seems to break all NFL news faster than everyone else. He might also know enough about Kelly running the spread offense like the Bills have done which makes a strong connection between the two. Yet because he has no ties to Kelly don't think he can be count as a reliable source.

Could very well be tongue-in-cheek... But, the fact that his former HC and current DC are interviewing with the Bills currently make it a bit peculiar that he was just pick that out of thin air and throw it our there.

I mean, Philadelphia runs a similar type of offense, especially with Vick at QB... Why say the Bills and not the Eagles? A lot of people would consider Philly a better gig than Buffalo.

I agree that it's an odd connection that there could be absolutely nothing to... But, just seems out of left field... Almost too out of left field to not have him say it for a reason.

-Bill

Slim
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
You heard it here first........the Buffalo Bills will sign a new HC soon.

Hmm, vague.

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I agree, I just didn't want to jinx it like you just did. LOL

I'll be honest with you... Depending on who's available in FA and who the Bills have available to Draft, if the Bills would get Kelly as HC and he wants to roll with T-Jax, I'd have zero issue with that. As I have said in other threads, I'd much rather our new HC decide on who their QB is, as opposed to Brandon and Nix "forcing" a QB on a new HC.

I said it in one of the Alex Smith threads... If the Bills get a quality HC and they say they want QB "X," I like that a lot better than having Brandon and Nix say to the new HC "We're gonna get QB X for you."

-Bill

The Jokeman
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Could very well be tongue-in-cheek... But, the fact that his former HC and current DC are interviewing with the Bills currently make it a bit peculiar that he was just pick that out of thin air and throw it our there.

I mean, Philadelphia runs a similar type of offense, especially with Vick at QB... Why say the Bills and not the Eagles? A lot of people would consider Philly a better gig than Buffalo.

I agree that it's an odd connection that there could be absolutely nothing to... But, just seems out of left field... Almost too out of left field to not have him say it for a reason.

-Bill

He might also be trying to tell his DC that he wants him to remain as the HC in Arizona. And who knows maybe he was connecting Jim Kelly to Chip Kelly because they have the same last name?

The Jokeman
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I'll be honest with you... Depending on who's available in FA and who the Bills have available to Draft, if the Bills would get Kelly as HC and he wants to roll with T-Jax, I'd have zero issue with that. As I have said in other threads, I'd much rather our new HC decide on who their QB is, as opposed to Brandon and Nix "forcing" a QB on a new HC.

I said it in one of the Alex Smith threads... If the Bills get a quality HC and they say they want QB "X," I like that a lot better than having Brandon and Nix say to the new HC "We're gonna get QB X for you."

-Bill

T-Jax is actually due to be an UFA, here's a good list of available guys: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I will be very surprised if Geno goes in the top 5. His ranking would not support that.

Maybe not today... The Draft is still 4 months away... A lot can change between now and then.

I will say this... If the Bills would get Kelly (or really, any quality HC) and they want a guy, whether that be Geno, Glennon or evan a FA like Alex Smith, I have no issues with the Bills doing what it takes to get the guy that the coach wants.

-Bill

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Would love it. Kelly would be just what this franchise needs to burst into the future!

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
T-Jax is actually due to be an UFA, here's a good list of available guys: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13

I realize that. Like I said "currently on the roster." My guess is, they'll have a new coach before FA opens. If the new coach wants Tavaris, it shouldn't take much to re-sign him, especially if he thinks he has a shot at the starting job.

-Bill

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
He might also be trying to tell his DC that he wants him to remain as the HC in Arizona. And who knows maybe he was connecting Jim Kelly to Chip Kelly because they have the same last name?

His DC would have to be offered the job first. No guarantees that he even gets that offer from Arizona.

I assume you're joking on the "Kelly" connection. Just because they have the same last name means nothing. Hell, there's a good chance that Groves doesn't even know who Jim Kelly is.

-Bill

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Isn't Jim Kelly the billionaire who is going to buy the bills?

BLeonard
01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Now, here's something else to think about... The analytics department that Russ Brandon mentioned. That seems to be something right up Chip Kelly's alley.

Is Buddy gonna handle that, even though he admitted himself that he's not familiar with it at all?

If Buddy isn't handling it, a perfect candidate for that type of job, IMO, would be Jon Gruden. If he's friends with Brandon and Kelly and the money is comparable (as Brandon has said "money is no object") to his MNF gig (from what I've read, Gruden makes about $4.3 million a year for MNF), I could see that sort of thing being a possibility.

Not saying it will happen, but it's something that I could see having the possibility of happening.

-Bill

madness
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Here's some more Chip Kelly education. Learn why he's bound to leave the college game behind and join the NFL where he belongs. I just hope it's with us...

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-20040-chip_kelly%E2%80%99s.html

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

justasportsfan
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Here's some more Chip Kelly education. Learn why he's bound to leave the college game behind and join the NFL where he belongs. I just hope it's with us...

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-20040-chip_kelly%E2%80%99s.html

Kelly treats the press like a malignant tumor. He is only available for interviews after practice and after games. He is available to the media whenever he is contractually obligated. But his appearances in these situations are often curt, crisp and threaded with the irritation of a man who views this part of the job as utterly trifling.

I've always liked this about BB. Chan and players under him love to talk about what they need to do and give out info whether or not they were serious .

casdhf
01-02-2013, 03:46 PM
What will make this guy better than Steve Spurrier?

DynaPaul
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
If it's true I hope Kelly really works out here and doesn't have a tenure like some other college coaches that came to the NFL level. (*cough* Saban *cough*)

Thief
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
You heard it here first........the Buffalo Bills will sign a new HC soon.Thanks captain obvious.

BillsFever21
01-02-2013, 08:03 PM
It would be a good fit since the Bills offensive players already have experience running the spread over the past few years. There would be new terminology and wrinkles with any offense Kelly would put into place but it would all mostly revolve around the same concept. There wouldn't be as much as a learning curve.

I'm not usually for college coaches but the game has changed over the past few years and even if the HC isn't a former college HC you are seeing more offenses in the NFL that used to be primarily only ran at the collegiate level. With players starting from day one and teams being so young nowadays it has been working recently since they already have experience playing that type of football. I'd gladly give Kelly a shot.

tampabay25690
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Curious who the Qb would be???

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Ask Kelly who he wants and go get the qb. Let him draft the qb he wants

Tatonka
01-02-2013, 11:09 PM
What will make this guy better than Steve Spurrier?

this addresses that specifically.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets-talk-about-chip-kelly/

Night Train
01-03-2013, 03:18 AM
First, he has to be inerviewed. That the Bills want to talk to him is one thing. Does he want to talk to the Bills ?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-03-2013, 05:22 AM
First, he has to be inerviewed. That the Bills want to talk to him is one thing. Does he want to talk to the Bills ?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/add-the-eagles-and-bills-to-chip-kellys-busy-weekend-plans/

that should answer your question

Don't Panic
01-03-2013, 05:40 AM

I don't know, X. If he is deemed to be the only franchise QB on the board, someone could definitely reach for him. I'll be more surprised if he's there at #8 than if he goes top 5.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2013, 06:39 AM
i want tajh boyd!!!!!!

don137
01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Philadelphia is not as great as everyone thinks it is to coach. Sure he will get the support of the owner but it will be a very difficult division to get into. Washington will be good for years with RG III. Manning is in his prime and the team had an off year. Plus if Kelly does not feel Foles is his type of QB then it makes it more unattractive.

Cleveland and Buffalo probably are about equal. Both have great young RBs and playmakers on defense but Buffalo does have an edge on overall talent. Buffalo will definitely be getting a QB and Kelly will be able to get his type of QB.

tomz
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
The real question is this: will we have the spectrum of uniforms that Oregon has?

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
this addresses that specifically.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets-talk-about-chip-kelly/

That's a great read, I'm officially on the board with Chip Kelly.

psubills62
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Don't know if it's been posted or not, but another link to a Chip Kelly article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

Quote:

Kelly explained that he merely needs a quarterback who, if the defense "forces" him to run, "can do it effectively." Although this rules out some of the NFL's best quarterbacks — from Peyton Manning to Tom Brady — it doesn't mean that his offense requires Cam Newton or RG3. Every year, the high school and college ranks are producing more and more quarterbacks who aren't utterly devoid of athleticism (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7857323/andrew-luck-robert-griffin-iii-future-nfl-quarterback).4 (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems#footnote4)

Time will undoubtedly tell whether Kelly's offense can work in the NFL, but my vote is that it will. It would require Kelly finding the right players, but a Chip Kelly–coached NFL team would win for the same reasons that the Chip Kelly–coached college team wins. Behind the speed, the spread, the Daft Punk helmets, and the flashy uniforms, Oregon ultimately wins with old-fashioned, fundamental, run-it-up-the-gut football. I think everyone, even fans of the spread offense, can appreciate that.

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Ask Kelly who he wants and go get the qb. Let him draft the qb he wants

Vick! Draft a qb and Tavaris as the back up.

Ingtar33
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM

-Bill

this would be great news if true. I've a great deal of respect for the person and coach chip kelly is. The bills can and have done a lot worse then chip kelly.

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM

If not Geno Smith there will be some QB taken off the board in the Top 5 or so. There will always be a team in dire need of a QB that will reach for one in the draft because it's such an important position.

Go back and look at just about every draft and there was at least one QB drafted in the Top 5 no matter what the needs of the teams were. Last year it was a given that there would be a couple QB's drafted in the Top 5 and with the #1 pick in the draft since there were so many good prospects but even with the other years where the talent wasn't as good somebody would draft one or another team would trade up and get one.

If you have guys like Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Tannehill being drafted in the Top 10 as the 3rd overall QB drafted over the past couple years then Geno Smith or somebody else will definitely go in the Top 5 this year.

I remember months before the draft there were many people that didn't have Cam Newton rated as the #1 pick in the draft and many mocks had him around 5th at the highest give or take yet he will still drafted #1. Same thing with Sam Bradford since there wasn't much other competition after him.

In fact you have to go back to 2008 just to find the last year that there wasn't a QB drafted #1 overall when Matt Ryan was drafted #3. The last time a QB wasn't drafted in the Top 5 was in 2000 when Chad Pennington was the first QB taken at #18. Since 2000 there has only been three years when a QB wasn't taken #1 overall(2008, 2006 and 2000) and only once when at least one QB wasn't drafted in the Top 5 which was in 2000.

We really blew our chances the past couple years without even having to draft a QB in the first round because Buddy and Chan put all of their eggs in Fitzpatrick and never bothered to hedge their bets against him. We've passed on Andy Dalton or Colin Kapernick for another lousy QB in Aaron freaking Williams and also passed on Russell Wilson for TJ Graham last year. All three of them are in the playoffs this year and all three of them lead their teams to the playoffs in their first year as a starter with Dalton and Wilson doing it as a rookie with a team that had a losing record the year before.

In a deep class of QB's like we've had the past few years it's totally inexcusable not to have grabbed one of them. Hell we could've even taken a chance of Kirk Cousins last year on the 4th round. He played pretty good and won two games as a rookie when being thrown into the fire in the middle of must win games to make the playoffs late in the season. Even Nick Foles played pretty good as a rookie this year and he was a 3rd round draft pick. Now when we're practically in a must draft mode as far as a QB goes we're doing it in a year with a weak QB class when somebody like Andy Dalton would've been a Top 10 or so draft pick this year.