• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Quentin Groves, Arizona LB says Bills' next coach is Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly is gonna be Buffalo's next head coach!! You heard it here first! @AdamSchefter
    Interesting, since Groves played for the Arizona coaches that the Bills were reportedly heading out to see... Groves will also be a FA once the offseason starts.

-Bill
  • Slim
    • Apr 2004

Re: Quentin Groves, Arizona LB says Bills' next coach is Chip Kelly

Interesting. I want to know what makes him think this.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Interesting for sure but you have to wonder if he was just making a bold perdictioin versus having any inside information.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

I see from the link that Coach Sal is on it. Curious to see what he digs up.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Other interesting notes:

Jon Gruden, who is apparently good friends with Chip Kelly, is also good friends with Russ Brandon (according to Brandon, anyway). IIRC, Kelly actually offered the Oregon OC job to Gruden, as Gruden wanted to learn his system.

Chip Kelly was also at Bills' Training Camp this past summer...

Dunno how much truth there is to this, but interesting notes, nonetheless.

-Bill

Comment

• GingerP
            • Aug 2012

Would be an interesting development, but I could care less about Groves being a free agent. The guy blows.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Just like any other "you heard it here first" post, it's a total crapshoot, but it's brilliant if it sticks.

Comment

• IAG
                • Jan 2005

Overrated coach.

Comment

• delectrolux
                  • May 2007

I don't know much about him beyond his fast-paced spread offense but I read this on wikipedia and now I'm totally on board:

Kelly gained national acclaim for responding to a season ticket holder's letter demanding a refund for his expenses after traveling to see Oregon's 19–8 loss to Boise State. Kelly replied to the man with a personal check written out for his travel costs (exactly $439): in response, the fan wrote him a thank-you note enclosing the original check, which he did not cash and made copies to frame.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by delectrolux View Post
                    I don't know much about him beyond his fast-paced spread offense but I read this on wikipedia and now I'm totally on board:
                    I know it's just optics, but that kind of personal responsibility is what makes it possible to hold others accountable. It's good leadership.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I didn't know about the Brandon connection but did about Kelly and Gruden and was wondering to myself last night if the Bills were talking to Jon concerning Chip, not Jay, as earlier reported.

Even still, Kelly has to be in full Bowl prep mode right now and based on everything I've recently read about Kelly, he wouldn't even entertain conversation about his future present time. At least until the bowl is over.

But then again if they are friends I guess a short discussion isnt exactly out of the question.

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                        Just like any other "you heard it here first" post, it's a total crapshoot, but it's brilliant if it sticks.
                        Agreed... My question is, why would a player currently under contract to the Cardinals be talking about another team's Head Coaching search? Assuming he is wanting to stay in ARZ, shouldn't he be keeping quiet, or talking about the Cardinals' coaching search?

BTW the Bills are expected to interview Ray Horton today, the Cardinals' Defensive Coordinator. It's also worth noting that the defensive staff was retained in Arizona.

-Bill

Comment

• Bangarang
                          • Sep 2010

Curious as to how his system would translate in the NFL.

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                            I'm not sure I see him as a system guy. More of an effectual thinker, he looks at what he has and figures out what he can do with it vs coming up with a plan and then assembling the resources.

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                              If you have RG3, Cam Newton, Or Russell Wilson it translates nicely. Not so much with Fitz.

Comment

Working...
                              X