Who was the last college coach to light the league on fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Who was the last college coach to light the league on fire?

I am running through a list in my head of college coaches going to the NFL and I can't think of any who have done anything special.

Saban, Petrino, Schiano, Spurrier, Davis, Kiffin.

Im not counting Harbaugh since he played QB in this league, and Carroll is on his third go around. So why do we think we can have success with someone who makes the jump?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Who was the last college coach to light the league on fire?

Jimmy Johnson

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Harbaugh doesn't count, I agree.

And my biggest issue is why would our players with a losers mentality/loafers listen to a guy who has now previous experience?
      Last edited by X-Era; 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• The King
        • Jun 2004

Oh good, 20 years ago.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Can you explain your logic about not counting Harbaugh?

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Steve Marriuci and Barry Switzer both come to mind but without research I cant be too entirely sure.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
              He played in the NFL. Kelly hasn't even done that.

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

Comes from a football family and played QB at a very high level in this league. His coaching career also started with Oakland.
                Last edited by The King; 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM.
                It was all

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                  He played in the NFL. Kelly hasn't even done that.
                  A lot of coaches haven't played in the NFL.

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  Comes from a football family and played QB at a very high level in this league. His coaching career also started with Oakland.
                  I guess I just don't understand why he wouldn't count, but it's your question.

Are you suggesting that because he's never coached/played in the NFL that he doesn't understand what exactly it would take to be successful at that level?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Would a guy who had NFL experience coaching who went to college and then came back count?

Coughlin was an assistant in the NFL, then coached Boston College, came back to coach the expansion Jags and now obviously the Giants.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

A lot of coaches haven't played in the NFL.

Are you suggesting that because he's never coached/played in the NFL that he doesn't understand what exactly it would take to be successful at that level?
                      It's a different league.

A guy who played in it for many years knows more about it than a person who has never been directly involved in the games.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                        Would a guy who had NFL experience coaching who went to college and then came back count?

Coughlin was an assistant in the NFL, then coached Boston College, came back to coach the expansion Jags and now obviously the Giants.
                        I thought of Coughlin initially but he was also 20 years ago I didnt bring him into the mix.
                        It was all

Comment

• The King
                          • Jun 2004

I'm saying the list is short. And playing QB in the NFL definitely gives you a leg up on someone who hasn't.

FWIW I am not against Kelly or Marrone, but I am definitely concerned that you need to go back 20 years to find someone who's done well.
                          It was all

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            I thought of Coughlin initially but he was also 20 years ago I didnt bring him into the mix.
                            Bill Walsh would also fit the same way Coughlin does but that's 30 years ago instead.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

Harbaugh was also an assistant with the Oakland Raiders in 2002 & 2003, so he also has assistant coaching experience in the NFL.

I think a college coach who hasn't played or assistant coached in the NFL is a huge risk to hire as a head coach. I'd rather have Doug Marrone than Chip Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                              X