PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last college coach to light the league on fire?

The King
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I am running through a list in my head of college coaches going to the NFL and I can't think of any who have done anything special.

Saban, Petrino, Schiano, Spurrier, Davis, Kiffin.

Im not counting Harbaugh since he played QB in this league, and Carroll is on his third go around. So why do we think we can have success with someone who makes the jump?

jamze132
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Jimmy Johnson

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
:clap:

Harbaugh doesn't count, I agree.

And my biggest issue is why would our players with a losers mentality/loafers listen to a guy who has now previous experience?

The King
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Oh good, 20 years ago.

Joe Fo Sho
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Can you explain your logic about not counting Harbaugh?

RedEyE
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Steve Marriuci and Barry Switzer both come to mind but without research I cant be too entirely sure.

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:25 PM
He played in the NFL. Kelly hasn't even done that.

The King
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Comes from a football family and played QB at a very high level in this league. His coaching career also started with Oakland.

Joe Fo Sho
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
He played in the NFL. Kelly hasn't even done that.

A lot of coaches haven't played in the NFL.

Comes from a football family and played QB at a very high level in this league. His coaching career also started with Oakland.

I guess I just don't understand why he wouldn't count, but it's your question.

Are you suggesting that because he's never coached/played in the NFL that he doesn't understand what exactly it would take to be successful at that level?

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Would a guy who had NFL experience coaching who went to college and then came back count?

Coughlin was an assistant in the NFL, then coached Boston College, came back to coach the expansion Jags and now obviously the Giants.

X-Era
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Are you suggesting that because he's never coached/played in the NFL that he doesn't understand what exactly it would take to be successful at that level?
It's a different league.

A guy who played in it for many years knows more about it than a person who has never been directly involved in the games.

The King
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Would a guy who had NFL experience coaching who went to college and then came back count?

Coughlin was an assistant in the NFL, then coached Boston College, came back to coach the expansion Jags and now obviously the Giants.
I thought of Coughlin initially but he was also 20 years ago I didnt bring him into the mix.

The King
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM

I'm saying the list is short. And playing QB in the NFL definitely gives you a leg up on someone who hasn't.

FWIW I am not against Kelly or Marrone, but I am definitely concerned that you need to go back 20 years to find someone who's done well.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I thought of Coughlin initially but he was also 20 years ago I didnt bring him into the mix.

Bill Walsh would also fit the same way Coughlin does but that's 30 years ago instead.

Albany,n.y.
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Harbaugh was also an assistant with the Oakland Raiders in 2002 & 2003, so he also has assistant coaching experience in the NFL.

I think a college coach who hasn't played or assistant coached in the NFL is a huge risk to hire as a head coach. I'd rather have Doug Marrone than Chip Kelly.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Harbaugh was also an assistant with the Oakland Raiders in 2002 & 2003, so he also has assistant coaching experience in the NFL.

I think a college coach who hasn't played or assistant coached in the NFL is a huge risk to hire as a head coach. I'd rather have Doug Marrone than Chip Kelly.

I cannot think of one college guy who had zero NFL coaching experience, jump to the NFL and succeed.

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm saying the list is short. And playing QB in the NFL definitely gives you a leg up on someone who hasn't.

FWIW I am not against Kelly or Marrone, but I am definitely concerned that you need to go back 20 years to find someone who's done well.

Not a lot of college coaches get hired in the first place in the NFL. Even Nick Saban who failed with miami had NFL experience. Other than Spurrier noone comes to mind. And marrone has been an asst in the league. So I guess I don't get your point. And Harbaugh absolutely should count or do you think playing QB is more important to a coach that NFL coaching experience? If so, why?

Bill Cody
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Bill Walsh would also fit the same way Coughlin does but that's 30 years ago instead.

Bill Walsh was practically the head coach of the Cinncinnatti Bengals when Paul Brown was at the end of his career. NFL experience of some kind is a must but the league knows this. That's why it's very rare for a pure college coach to get hired- it's not the case that a bunch have been hired and failed.

Joe Fo Sho
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

That's fair. But then you have to remove some of your failures, as they don't fall under the category of no NFL experience before becoming a Head Coach. (They are still failures at NFL Coaching..maybe not Schiano yet)

Greg Schiano - Defensive Assistant of the Bears
Nick Saban - Defensive Coordinator of the Browns
Bobby Petrino - Offensive Coordinator of the Jaguars
Lane Kiffin - Offensive Assistant of the Jaguars
Butch Davis - Defensive Coordinator of the Cowboys

I think this just really shows you how inexperienced Chip Kelly would be with absolutely ZERO NFL experience coming in as a Head Coach. But ya never know, it's a different league than it was even 10 years ago.

GingerP
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Already been said, but Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer are the only two I can think of.

I can think of some unsuccessful ones, like Lou Holtz.

The King
01-02-2013, 01:15 PM
That's fair. But then you have to remove some of your failures, as they don't fall under the category of no NFL experience before becoming a Head Coach. (They are still failures at NFL Coaching..maybe not Schiano yet)

Greg Schiano - Defensive Assistant of the Bears
Nick Saban - Defensive Coordinator of the Browns
Bobby Petrino - Offensive Coordinator of the Jaguars
Lane Kiffin - Offensive Assistant of the Jaguars
Butch Davis - Defensive Coordinator of the Cowboys

I think this just really shows you how inexperienced Chip Kelly would be with absolutely ZERO NFL experience coming in as a Head Coach. But ya never know, it's a different league than it was even 10 years ago.

Fair enough, I did just throw this out there for feedback.

GingerP
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Fair enough, I did just throw this out there for feedback.

There have been guys that had limited pro experience but made their bones in college before moving to the pros. Jon Robinson, hired out of USC, and Denny Green, hired out of Stanford, come to mind.

TigerJ
01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Personally, I think Chip Kelly would be smarter to look for an offensive coordinator position in the NFL if he really wants to make the jump, but I doubt his ego would let him do that. If he does get hired as a head coach, he'd better make sure he hires some NFL veteran assistants.

YardRat
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Personally, I think Chip Kelly would be smarter to look for an offensive coordinator position in the NFL if he really wants to make the jump, but I doubt his ego would let him do that. If he does get hired as a head coach, he'd better make sure he hires some NFL veteran assistants.

Bingo.

IMO this hire could have disaster written all over it.

BillsFever21
01-02-2013, 07:55 PM

I agree. Also a good chunk of your coaches already in the NFL coached in college at some point as they worked their way up through the coaching ranks.

mikemac2001
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Idk the way the NFL is being played on offense i dont think its so bad to hire kelly pretty much everyone has a spread look now. the tempo is what interest me

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
jimmy johnson!

TacklingDummy
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Steve Marriuci and Barry Switzer both come to mind but without research I cant be too entirely sure.

Marriuci lived off of Walsh/Seiferts/Young and Switzer off of Johnson's leftovers.

jimmifli
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Most coaches fail. So no matter what criteria you set up there will only be a few good coaches and lot of failures.

I like Chip. If we have an experienced hand at DC I'm fine with him as the head coach. I think whoever comes here will have a tough time with this roster and fan expectations.

gonzo1105
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Steve Spurrier, one of the people you mentioned as a failure...also played QB in the NFL. That seems to be the reason you didn't include Harbaugh which I dont get to begin with. Just because you have coaching in your family doesn't mean you are automatically successful. Don Shula's son, Mike Shula, was a huge failure as both an NFL and college coach. Monte Kiffin was a huge success in the NFL but his son Lane sucks even though he's had a ton of jobs.

BigZ
01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Jimmy Johnson

You are absolutely correct. I kinda remember him......beating the pants off the Bills in 2 Super Bowls.

Buddo
01-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Steve Spurrier, one of the people you mentioned as a failure...also played QB in the NFL. That seems to be the reason you didn't include Harbaugh which I dont get to begin with. Just because you have coaching in your family doesn't mean you are automatically successful. Don Shula's son, Mike Shula, was a huge failure as both an NFL and college coach. Monte Kiffin was a huge success in the NFL but his son Lane sucks even though he's had a ton of jobs.

Harbaugh was an assistant coach in the NFL before he went into college coaching. That excludes him anyway, from the discussion. Being a starting QB in the NFL also has a great deal of significance, in respect of having to understand different schemes etc.

Anyway, I thought the OP related to having any NFL experience at all, prior to coaching in it. Kelly has precisely none, be it as a player or coach.

Afaikt, the only true candidate so far, has been Jimmy Johnson. Switzer simply inherited Johnsons team.

JoeMama
01-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Pete Carroll (SEA) and Greg Schiano (TB) are currently enjoying some measure of success in the NFL.

Bill Cody
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
The biggest difference between college coaching and the pro's is NFL head coaches work 20 hours a day. Steve Spurrier didn't want to do it and he failed. Harbaugh bought into that right away, maybe he was ready for it because he had experience with the NFL culture. That's why he had a heart procedure done in the morning last month and was back to work the next day, he's obsessed like all of them. Andy Reid's son kills himself and Reid goes to work the next day, which to me is more than a little strange.

That would be my big question for Chip Kelly- "do you really know what you'd be signing up for?"

Mski
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
i think the fact that he has zero NFL experience is what makes him such a good idea... it means he doesnt have any of the "old timers philosophies" stuck in his head, things that have been proven wrong via statistics, yet coaches still do them, like kicking PAT's, and punting..... Brandon said he wants this team to be relavent again, and cutting edge/ setting the bar... well thats exactly what a guy with no NFL experience or ties will do.... might the experiment fail... possibly but whats to say that any of these other guys wont fail?

madness
01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
This thinking may be a bit short-sighted. Retreads aren't exactly shooting a high percentage either.

imbondz
01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
what's Sean Peyton's history?

cookie G
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
what's Sean Peyton's history?

coached in the NFL from the late 90's, I think.

He was the OC for the Giants when they went to the SB with Kerry Collins. He was the one who had his play calling taken away by Jim Fassel at one time when he was with them.