PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago today

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-03-2013, 05:24 AM
was the greatest comeback game; what were you guys doing? I was an 11 year old kid recovering from an appendectomy in the hospital. I had tickets to the game and had to get them sold due to my operation. At the time, i thought it was our destiny to go to the superbowl every year until we won. God I miss those days.

Share your favorite memories from January 3, 1993. Quite possibly my greatest Bills memory of all time.

Don't Panic
01-03-2013, 05:31 AM
One of the best days of my life. I was very lucky to attend every home playoff game during the SB years, this being the favorite of that great run. I consider it to be me and my day's greatest moment together and the reason I still have so much hope left in the tank. Anyone who was there has to still Billieve... it may not have been for the whole bag of donuts, but you couldn't have convinced us of that fact on that day. Thank God we have that memory to reflect back on.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Game was blacked out but I could pick it up from a snowey Syracuse channel and was able to watch it. I'd about given up when the magic started. Listened to replays of van miller for days after. Made me cry every time lol!

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-03-2013, 05:37 AM
yea. it was blacked out where I lived at the time too (rochester) and listened to it on the hospital bed.

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I went to the game & recorded it at home. When I hit the toll booth in Albany I handed the guy the ticket & said "We were just at the greatest game in NFL history". Then I invited my friend who drove out with me to watch the tape of the game so we could see what the announcers were saying. The following week I ended up making a bunch of copies for people who couldn't watch it, then I sent it to a friend in Buffalo who gave it to the AV guys at the school he taught at to make copies for anyone who wanted one. I still have the tape, which I was fortunate enough to have extended the recording time so that I got the post game interviews with OJ. I programed it to record ESPN, but because the tape wasn't a full 6 hours, it cuts off right after Chris Berman says "It's over, it's over for Houston" and I don't have the ESPN NFL Live, or whatever they called it then, comeback part, only the stuff that leads up to it.

The best part of the NBC broadcast is at halftime when they're interviewing Bill Cowher & he's talking about playing Houston the next week. Instead the Bills went to Pittsburgh & kicked their ass.

k-oneputt
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I was one of the 70,000+ or so that was actually there, unlike the 2-million who claim to have been.
And yes they were climbing over the fence to re-enter the stadium until security finally gave in and re-opened the gates.

k-oneputt
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Was at Pitt the following week.
That was Frank Reich throwing td's to Beebe over a d-back who got crucified by their fans, Sammy Walker I think his name was.

trapezeus
01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
stood in my bedroom as a 14/15 year old kid. the second kenny davis scored, i stodd still. and remained in that position for the rest of the game. i remember reaching for some pens on my desk to keep the outline of where my feet were to go run back to my dad and tell him that they were making a comeback. at first he couldn't believe it.

in some ways, i love that i didn't see it. van miller and the crowd noise added so much as you listened to each play knowing that they were going to win after the onside recovery.

Jeff1220
01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I was there. I still rank it #2 behind being at the AFC Championship game/beatdown vs. Oakland for to go to SB25. With the Bills sucking so bad the past 10-15 years, it actually irritates me when BB.com, etc celebrates the anniversary of this game each year.

k-oneputt
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I was there. I still rank it #2 behind being at the AFC Championship game/beatdown vs. Oakland for to go to SB25. With the Bills sucking so bad the past 10-15 years, it actually irritates me when BB.com, etc celebrates the anniversary of this game each year.

I agree. As great as the comeback was, nothing could compare to the Raider game since it was the first and we knew we were going to the SB. We were actually losing 3-0 in that game too.

Pinkerton Security
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
I was an 8 year old quickly becoming a huge Bills fan, and this game helped cement it.

blackonyx89
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I was with my family and half of them were rooting for the Bills and the other half was hating, one of my brothers was taling MAJOR SMACK and said the Bills were going to lose and choke big time and I said, "This ain't over!" When they come back , my brother was stunned and I rubbed it in BIG TIME! Great memories, no doubt and I wish we had player like that now on this team. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZeMhN7JIIvg#!

fasteddie
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately, we had an ice storm that morning in the Souther Tier. It took 1 hour to drive what would have been a 15 min. drive. After seeing about a dozen cars in the highway median, we decided to turn back. We got home in another 1 1/2 hrs. After watching the first half of the game on TV, I got into the shower and missed the first TD the Bills scored in the second half. But we saw the rest of the game jumping up and down in the living room (I was a lot younger then).
Strangest day ever!

Ed

Zero
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
What a great day. I was 16 years old at the time, I was supposed to be completing a research paper that was due the next day instead of watching the game. I woke up late and game had already started, and I believe the Bills were up 3-0 initially. I actually turned the game off when Houston scored to make it 35-3 to open the 3Q. Tuned back in out of curiosity to see the Bills make the score 35-17.

The rest is history. One of the most surreal days of my life...

Don't Panic
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
The best part of the NBC broadcast is at halftime when they're interviewing Bill Cowher & he's talking about playing Houston the next week. Instead the Bills went to Pittsburgh & kicked their ass.

Did not know that...that makes it even sweeter!

warsawbassman
01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
I was 17, and was in Florida visiting my grandparents over the holiday, my flight back to Buffalo was the next morning. My grandfather was the kind of guy who watched every Bills game start to finish, every week, no matter if the were getting blown out or not. It's probably a good thing I was down there, it was blacked out at home, and even had it not been at 28-3 I probably would have bailed, and deffinatly would have at 35-3. But since I was 1000 + miles from home, bored out of my mind in my grandparents condo in Florida, I sat and watched. By the end of it we were all bouncing off the walls, My grandmother got so worked up she jumped in the pool with all her clothes on, and my grandfather let me drink a beer LOL.

mush69
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I must confess, I turned off the TV at the end of the first half and never turned it back on til the next day. Think I went fishing that afternoon/evening.

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
I programed it to record ESPN, but because the tape wasn't a full 6 hours, it cuts off right after Chris Berman says "It's over, it's over for Houston" and I don't have the ESPN NFL Live, or whatever they called it then, comeback part, only the stuff that leads up to it.

They are replaying the original part of ESPN's NFL Primetime from that day on some Sportscenters today, but only the 2nd half stuff. I was able to take the tape, put tape over the tab, record the part I had on a VCR, rewind the original tape from that day to an earlier spot where ESPN had other stuff that wasn't related to the game, re-record what I just recorded onto that tape, then I took the tape out, hooked up the VCR to my DVR, rewound the DVR to the spot where my original tape ran out & recorded the rest of the replay. The only negative is the re-recording cost me some quality, but for the 1st time in 20 years I have the entire ESPN Primetime video recap of the game!