PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me how the Browns job is more attractive than ours?

X-Era
01-03-2013, 05:44 AM
As I go through their depth chart I find two, maybe three players that are better than ours. Joe Thomas and D'Qwell Jackson. I also gave Ward the nod over Wilson.

But we are better everywhere else:

Glenn < Thomas
Levitre > Greco
Wood > Mack
Hell Urbik > Lauvao
Pears + Hairston > Schwartz

Fitz > Weeden or McCoy or Lewis

Spiller >> Hardesty

Stevie > Little
Jones > Gordon - Maybe
Chandler > Watson - At this point in his career

Anderson > Sheard - If you go off Anderson's last year
Dareus > Rubin
Williams >> Taylor
Williams > Rucker

Barnett > Maiva
Sheppard << D'Qwell
Bradham > Michael-Johnson

Glimore > Haden - Or equal to
Wilson < Ward
Byrd >> Young
Williams > Bademosi - Who?

I don't see why any Head Coach wants Cleveland so much more than Buffalo based on roster.

Beyond that I would think Kelly would see Spiller are a superstar in the making and be salivating as to what he could do with him in his offense.

They have no GM. That maybe good maybe bad. No way the Browns let Kelly also be the GM IMO. He doesn't have the pedigree for that. If anything why would Kelly sign up for that job without knowing who he's answering to? It's a known here. How will he view Nix? Who knows. But I think Whaley may actually be the guy he looks at more anyway.

The Bills lease for another 7 years
Russ, not the owner, having final say. The Browns were just sold this past year.

Both small markets

YardRat
01-03-2013, 06:12 AM
No.

ThunderGun
01-03-2013, 06:37 AM
I agree with the point of your post, but you forgot Trent Richardson, and Joe Haden is one of the best corners in the league. He's better that Gilmore at this point.

GingerP
01-03-2013, 06:52 AM
It has nothing to do with the players, although I think Weeden is the preferred QB since he at least has a chance to become a good QB (no shot with Fitz).

They have:

1) Stable ownership - Jimmy Haslem, who just purchased the team, is known in the NFL from being part-owner of the Steelers.

2) Joe Banner - Banner controls the football operations and has a stellar reputation from his 19 years running the Eagles

3) Great facilities - Cleveland built a new stadium to get the team back, and their practice facility is state-of-the-art, a 19 acre complex that houses their training and administrative facilities

The Bills have none of those things. A guy like Chip Kelly is looking for that kind of support to build his program. Look at what he did at Oregon, demanding state of the art facilities be built for his team. Those things mean a lot.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Generally speaking, a more vibrant city. I know some of you will kill me for saying that but it is the truth.

don137
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
I think Buffalo has better players but Cleveland has more long term stability from an ownership standpoint. No one knows who will own the Bills after RW passes away where the Cleveland owner is not going anywhere soon.

Having Patriots in the division makes Bills a little less attractive even though Brady probably has only a couple good years left. Steelers are showing their age.

notacon
01-03-2013, 08:14 AM
It has nothing to do with the players, although I think Weeden is the preferred QB since he at least has a chance to become a good QB (no shot with Fitz).

They have:

1) Stable ownership - Jimmy Haslem, who just purchased the team, is known in the NFL from being part-owner of the Steelers.

2) Joe Banner - Banner controls the football operations and has a stellar reputation from his 19 years running the Eagles

3) Great facilities - Cleveland built a new stadium to get the team back, and their practice facility is state-of-the-art, a 19 acre complex that houses their training and administrative facilities

The Bills have none of those things. A guy like Chip Kelly is looking for that kind of support to build his program. Look at what he did at Oregon, demanding state of the art facilities be built for his team. Those things mean a lot.

You hit the nail on the head.

Wilson "stepping down" just added a new level of uncertainty to the club's future. This is bad news for any faithful Bills fan.

Despite the lease the Bills just agreed to, the likelihood of the team staying in Buffalo is as cloudy as ever. There are two things that would stabilize the team and make it attractive to big name HC's.

1. Wilson selling the team before he passes.

2. Agreement to build a new stadium.

No big name coach, like Cowher, would err come to Buffalo with the ownership debacle that is present now.

Pinkerton Security
01-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Generally speaking, a more vibrant city. I know some of you will kill me for saying that but it is the truth.

I disagree wholeheartedly...Cleveland is about as vibrant as a dead skunk. Buffalo isnt much better but Cleveland is a shell

The OP also forgot about Richardson who is one of the best young RBs in the league and Haden as well.

dannyek71
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Having Patriots in the division makes Bills a little less attractive even though Brady probably has only a couple good years left.

Sadly, I think TB has many more good years left. I was just at Best Buy earlier today, and those HD cameras are getting better every year!

IlluminatusUIUC
01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Well, aside from the Richardson mistake,

Mack is far better than Wood. He hasn't missed a single game and made the pro bowl, whereas Wood hasn't completed a single season.
Josh Gordon is a country mile better than Donald Jones, I don't know how you thought otherwise. Gordon nearly matched Jones' career stats in his rookie year.
Jabaal Sheard is better than Mark Anderson. Anderson has two good seasons of his 8 career years, and is a 3rd down lineman. Sheard plays every down and isn't a liability in the run game.

And then you've got our unstable ownership situation and the fact that two of our best players aren't under contract this year. It's not unreasonable for a coach to choose the Browns roster over ours.

delectrolux
01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Despite the lease the Bills just agreed to, the likelihood of the team staying in Buffalo is as cloudy as ever. There are two things that would stabilize the team and make it attractive to big name HC's.

There is no way the Bills will be leaving Buffalo for 7 years – and NO coaching candidate is worried about what will be happening to a team in 7 years.

That being said, losing a home game to Toronto and always having to beat the Patriots are both on the Cons list. But also getting to play the Jets and Miami for 4 of your games has to look pretty attractive. Better than having to beat the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals for 6 of your games.

EDS
01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
There is no way the Bills will be leaving Buffalo for 7 years – and NO coaching candidate is worried about what will be happening to a team in 7 years.

That being said, losing a home game to Toronto and always having to beat the Patriots are both on the Cons list. But also getting to play the Jets and Miami for 4 of your games has to look pretty attractive. Better than having to beat the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals for 6 of your games.

The lease is not an issue, but a ownership change is - and with Ralph's age and estate issues makes a sale of the team highly likely in the next few years. Obviously with a new owner comes the potential for an entirely new front office, which would create the potential for that front office wanting to bring in its own guy.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
The lease is not an issue, but a ownership change is - and with Ralph's age and estate issues makes a sale of the team highly likely in the next few years. Obviously with a new owner comes the potential for an entirely new front office, which would create the potential for that front office wanting to bring in its own guy.

If the Coach/GM has built a winning organization, they won't have anything to worry about.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
A big reason is that they have no GM because they're willing to give the coach as much power in personnel decisions as he wants.

Coaches tend to be power hungry and want their guys, when you have no one above you to say no, you ensure you get your guys.

IAG
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Better ownership and FO situation. Period.

Extremebillsfan247
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
It depends solely on the coach, what he's looking for out of the team, and it's upper-management. Some HC's like control over the entire system, coaching, drafting, bringing in free agents etc., while others don't want to bother with all that, and would just prefer to coach the team he has. Those Coaches in particular want to know if they can work with the GM, Owner, etc. It's a lot more complicated than just going over a roster to see which players he will have even though that is a part of it. JMO

Mr. Miyagi
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I'd much rather have Weeden than Fitz.

delectrolux
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

If you're a good, successful coach, why would new ownership want to replace you? Confident coaches shouldn't care. Someone worried about being fired in three years is somebody who's worried about winning. I don't want that guy.

EDS
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
If you're a good, successful coach, why would new ownership want to replace you? Confident coaches shouldn't care. Someone worried about being fired in three years is somebody who's worried about winning. I don't want that guy.

Ownership, the front office and the coaching staff all need to work together for an organization to be successful. Without that team concept anyone will fail. That is why stability, along with a franchise QB, are the two most compelling attributes an organization can have for a top coaching candidate.

Guess which two things the Bills don't have . . .

Novacane
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly...Cleveland is about as vibrant as a dead skunk. Buffalo isnt much better but Cleveland is a shell

l.

If the two cities had a suck contest it would be hard to name the favorite.

bills4ver
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I am sorry I just don't see how the crappy Cleveland browns are more attractive.

Our roster had more talent and how about the divisions?

Would u rather have patriots , jets, fins only contender is pats

Or

Steelers , ravens , bengals which all 3 are contenders?

If I was looking for a place to succeed no way I go to Cleveland

Historian
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Cleveland is on the upswing, Buffalo (as a city) is still mired in the rustbelt mentality.

Cleveland has more favorable tax rates, pro basketball and baseball, R and R HOF, a lot going for it culturally. I was there in the summer of 2011, and it was way ahead of Buffalo in terms of development, especially the areas around the stadium.

I love my hometown, but the comparison is not even close, IMO.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Cleveland is on the upswing, Buffalo (as a city) is still mired in the rustbelt mentality.

Cleveland has more favorable tax rates, pro basketball and baseball, R and R HOF, a lot going for it culturally. I was there in the summer of 2011, and it was way ahead of Buffalo in terms of development, especially the areas around the stadium.

I love my hometown, but the comparison is not even close, IMO.

I've lived in both...honest assessment - Buffalo today is how Cleveland was back in 1990.

The dishonest, corrupt politicians in this area have set Buffalo back decades.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Others have mentioned some of these, but here's some off the top of my head:

Brand new ownership vs a 94 year old owner, with no known succession plan
A GM that has been involved in the NFL for nearly 20 years vs a Marketing guy and a 70 year old "football guy"
State of the art facilities vs a 40 year old stadium getting some band-aids
Not having the possibility of playing a "Home" game in Toronto, so the owner can pocket more money
Comparable talent on the rosters
Dealing with the aging Ravens and Steelers twice a year vs dealing with the Patriots twice a year, who always seem to do well regardless.
Having the #6 pick in the upcoming draft vs having the #8 pick (Had the Bills lost to the Jets, they would have had the #6 pick, drafting ahead of Cleveland)
Also, keep in mind that the Bills are the only team that hasn't made the playoffs in the 21st Century and hasn't won a playoff game since 1995.

-Bill

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
If our roster was so much better then the Browns then how come we finished with the same record as they did even though our schedule was easier? It's not like their HC was very good so you can't use that. You also debated for months that Gailey could be a playoff/SB coach so that can't be used either.

After a horrible start to the season with Haden injured quite a bit, a rookie QB, rookie RB and others the Browns finished the season fairly well. They also had a much tougher schedule and played in a rough division where they had a couple 10 win teams. Then the Steelers were playing good until Roethlisberger was injured and they faltered after that. The Browns also beat some decent teams unlike us.

I'm not saying our roster is worse but I can't just come out and say our roster is so extremely better then the Browns roster is. It's all about how you play on the field.

YardRat
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
If the two cities had a suck contest it would be hard to name the favorite.

Would the favorite be the least suckiest, or the most?

coastal
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Because we're the worst NFL franchise in the last decade?

Mike
01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
As I go through their depth chart I find two, maybe three players that are better than ours. Joe Thomas and D'Qwell Jackson. I also gave Ward the nod over Wilson.

But we are better everywhere else:

Glenn < Thomas
Levitre > Greco
Wood > Mack
Hell Urbik > Lauvao
Pears + Hairston > Schwartz

Fitz > Weeden or McCoy or Lewis

Spiller >> Hardesty

Stevie > Little
Jones > Gordon - Maybe
Chandler > Watson - At this point in his career

Anderson > Sheard - If you go off Anderson's last year
Dareus > Rubin
Williams >> Taylor
Williams > Rucker

Barnett > Maiva
Sheppard << D'Qwell
Bradham > Michael-Johnson

Glimore > Haden - Or equal to
Wilson < Ward
Byrd >> Young
Williams > Bademosi - Who?

I don't see why any Head Coach wants Cleveland so much more than Buffalo based on roster.

Beyond that I would think Kelly would see Spiller are a superstar in the making and be salivating as to what he could do with him in his offense.

They have no GM. That maybe good maybe bad. No way the Browns let Kelly also be the GM IMO. He doesn't have the pedigree for that. If anything why would Kelly sign up for that job without knowing who he's answering to? It's a known here. How will he view Nix? Who knows. But I think Whaley may actually be the guy he looks at more anyway.

The Bills lease for another 7 years
Russ, not the owner, having final say. The Browns were just sold this past year.

Both small markets

The reason why it does not make sense to you is because you are way overestimating the Bills roster. As another poster said earlier, the Browns finished strong with a bunch of rookies at critical positions. Their QB situation is better than ours, their Defense way out performed ours and they plaid a much tougher schedule. In 2012 they were the Better team.

Lastly, this is the consensus around the NFL. The Bills HC position is seen as the least attractive one. Even KC is considered a more desirable place to coach.