PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time other teams hire away a Bills coach for promotion?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 09:28 AM
The coach search have me thinking. What is a successful coach? Should he be very good on defense/offense?

It is true a good QB makes any coach looks better, but a true great coach, regardless QB, is someone making a team over-achieve. In that regard, he must have great people around him because one person cannot succeed in all aspect of the game. For all we know, Gailey has a reputation being a hard worker (in Dallas, in Buffalo). But a major failure is he never hire great defensive coordinators or even have a philosophy in defense. Look at Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Shanahan, Belichick, their coach tree just grows and grows, never seems to run out good coaches from underneath.

Why? Because they know coaching talent and can identify coaching talent.

So if I were on Bills coach searching team, I may put some investigation on candidates' win loss record to find out why, but I'd put a lot of emphysis on look at their staff over time. Do they have any assistents worth a lick that they picked? In that light, I'm really not sure about Lovie Smith. Whistenhunt passes the test. Andy Reid is really at the top of the list.

All of the fired coaches have some warts. That's why the preferred route may be a new coordinator/college coach. As I said Donahoe has the right approach, but he's just terrible with player evaluation. Gregg Williams enjoyed a pretty good NFL coaching career, just not quite the HC material. Mularkey got his 2nd shot.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Marchibroda?

GingerP
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Do they have any assistents worth a lick that they picked? In that light, I'm really not sure about Lovie Smith.

Perry Fewell and Ron Rivera both coached on Lovie Smith's staff before being hired away by other teams for promotions.

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
As I said Donahoe has the right approach, but he's just terrible with player evaluation. Huh? He had a good cast of players. He sucked in getting coaches. He hired Yes ma'am coaches since he got canned in Pitts vs. Cowher.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Jerry Gray?

casdhf
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
He was fired

Ingtar33
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
well gilbride and fewell have been thriving in NY... though neither were hired away, both were fired.

The last coordinator we had who was a prospect for anything was Ted Contrell, but he was let go when Wade was fired, not poached. Yeah... it's been a while hasn't it?

Historian
01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I was surprised nobody ever picked up Tom Bresnahan or Nick Nickalau...

:roflmao:

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, George Cortez, the Bills QB Coach in 2011, was hired as the Head Coach for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL... He was fired after not making the playoffs this past season.

Dunno if NFL QB Coach to CFL Head Coach and Director of Football Operations is considered a "promotion" or not, but it is, at least in job title.

-Bill

Jeff1220
01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Another that has thrived after being fired by the Bills is Tom Clements, the OC for 2 years under Gregg Williams. He was brought in after doing some successful reclamation work as a QB coach in KC and Pittsburgh, where he actually helped make Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox look good. He was a goat for GW's Bills' offensive failures and went on to be the QB coach in Green Bay and basically developed Aaron Rodgers. He is now their OC.

Historian
01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Lou Saban went to Denver....

Buddo
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Bill Kollar. Assistant HC of the Texans. Was the D-Line coach for 3 years here, and then left to go to Houston, where he is also the D-Line coach.

Crisis
01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Fairchild left for a college head coaching gig right?

Buddo
01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Fairchild left for a college head coaching gig right?

I think he did, but tbh, I think he also 'did a runner' as he knew Jauron was clueless about Offense.
He probably got some very undeserved criticism, in retrospect, as Jauron had his grubby paws over a lot of the conservative play-calling that went on.

capitolneal
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
dick laroun hired back bu pitt as d cordimator we kept jerry gray

capitolneal
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
actually meant Dick LeBeau

HAMMER
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
dick laroun hired back bu pitt as d cordimator we kept jerry gray
WTF is this gibberish?

ServoBillieves
01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Fewell is the most recent "Why the hell didn't we keep him" move IMHO.

The Jokeman
01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Another Gregg Williams' guy was Steve Kragthorpe, who had success with Tulsa but had problems with Louisville. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kragthorpe

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Fewell is the most recent "Why the hell didn't we keep him" move IMHO.

He didn't exactly get a HC gig since he left the Bills, did he? So you don't know if he's any good as an HC and apparently nobody else is willing to give him a try either.