PDA

View Full Version : Schef: Bills interviewing Chip Kelly this Friday

Skooby
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Bills scheduled interview Oregon coach Chip Kelly on Friday.

Mr. Magoo
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Make it happen OBD

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Sigh..... Expecting dissaspointment what a cynic I am

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
So, the Bills get first crack at him... Here's hoping the Ducks win tonight and the Bills put on the "full court press" like they did with Mario...

If I were a betting man, if Kelly walks out of that interview without being offered or accepting the job, he's not gonna be the Bills next coach.

-Bill

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Well he's most likely got to at least listen to browns and eagles.... I guess..... But I hope the bills lay it all on the line.

Mr. Magoo
01-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Chip Kelly=K Gunn on steriods.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Well he's most likely got to at least listen to browns and eagles.... I guess..... But I hope the bills lay it all on the line.

Why?

If the Bills FO does their job, he won't care about listening to other teams.

If Russ can sell thousands of Bills fans on buying a ****ty product for the past 13 years, surely he can sell one Head Coach...

Unless, of course, they (the Bills FO) tries to lowball him or doesn't want to give him what he wants... But, Brandon said "money is no object." He has "no limitations." He has "total control."

This is the first test of how much of his speech was real and how much was bull****. And, it's a Pass/Fail test, IMO.

-Bill

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah I guess this will be a big test of the "new look" Bills.

Wolffman
01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Have we interviewed our token for the Rooney Rule yet?

T-Long
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Saying it's between Browns and Eagles to get up, with the Bills having an outside shot. I, for one, would welcome Coach Kelly...but my backup is Lovie Smith and a decent OC as a consolation prize.

- - - Updated - - -

Ray Horton DC for Cards...so we could hire Kelly immediately if they choose to do so.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Ray Horton fulfills the Rooney Rule: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Ray-Horton-meets-with-Bills/092ca5f0-b1ce-4ea4-aa1c-5266446918e0

A day after the Bills interviewed their first head coaching candidate in Ken Whisenhunt, their second interview subject was a man that served as Whisenhunt’s defensive coordinator. Buffalobills.com confirmed late Wednesday night that Cardinals current defensive coordinator Ray Horton met with the Bills in Arizona.

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Why?

If Russ can sell thousands of Bills fans on buying a ****ty product for the past 13 years, surely he can sell one Head Coach...

Chip Kelly is not a bills fan. Jim on the other hand would coach for free

Slim
01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't think we can land Chip. But, I'm all for giving it a try.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Chip Kelly is not a bills fan. Jim on the other hand would coach for free

Shouldn't matter. If Russ is a good salesman, he should be able to sell anyone, fan or not...

So, either Russ is a good salesman, if they land Kelly, or Bills fans are just gullible for buying a bad salesman's bull**** for the past 13 years...

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Shouldn't matter. If Russ is a good salesman, he should be able to sell anyone, fan or not...

So, either Russ is a good salesman, if they land Kelly, or Bills fans are just gullible for buying a bad salesman's bull**** for the past 13 years...

-Bill He's competing with other organizations who may be willing to give Kelly total control. With Nix and Whaley there, they most likely aren't offering him that.

Slim
01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
The Browns are prepared to give Kelly "an offer he can't refuse". I have a feeling the kicker in this deal is going to be how much front office control Kelly can get and I feel like Philly and Cleveland would offer him more than we will.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
He's competing with other organizations who may be willing to give Kelly total control. With Nix and Whaley there, they most likely aren't offering him that.

Then, we might have a clearer picture as to why top notch coaches won't come to Buffalo. Meanwhile, Brandon just chose to retain Nix.

Sorry, I'm not accepting any excuses. I've heard them for 13 years... Time for results.

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Then, we might have a clearer picture as to why top notch coaches won't come to Buffalo. Meanwhile, Brandon just chose to retain Nix.

Sorry, I'm not accepting any excuses. I've heard them for 13 years... Time for results.

-Bill

I'm just saying that you can't base Russ' sales pitch to fans as an ability to convince Chip. Fans are willing to use their hard earned money to watch the bills. Chip is looking to make the most to coach the bills.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:52 PM
The Browns are prepared to give Kelly "an offer he can't refuse". I have a feeling the kicker in this deal is going to be how much front office control Kelly can get and I feel like Philly and Cleveland would offer him more than we will.

He won't have to refuse an offer from Cleveland if he never gets the chance to hear one.

Like I just said, no excuses. Excuses and settling is a big part of why this team has been one of, if not the league's worst over the past decade.

"You can get it done. What's more, you GOT-a get it done!" - Lou Saban

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
He won't have to refuse an offer from Cleveland if he never gets the chance to hear one.

Like I just said, no excuses. Excuses and settling is a big part of why this team has been one of, if not the league's worst over the past decade.

"You can get it done. What's more, you GOT-a get it done!" - Lou Saban

-Bill

Russ won't fire Nix or Whaley to get Chip which is why they didn't even bother to call Reid.

BLeonard
I'm just saying that you can't base Russ' sales pitch to fans as an ability to convince Chip. Fans are willing to use their hard earned money to watch the bills. Chip is looking to make the most to coach the bills.

Russ is in charge. It's his show. It falls on him. He said it Tuesday.

I'm holding him to it. Period.

-Bill

Joe Fo Sho

-Bill

No middle ground, huh? Seems reasonable.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Russ won't fire Nix or Whaley to get Chip which is why they didn't even bother to call Reid.

Which is why they end up with guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey, as opposed to Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher...

-Bill

delectrolux
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
There is no realistic offer in the world that would make it unnecessary for Chip to take his meetings with the Browns and Eagles. Outside of an ultimatum, which would be dumb, what could Brandon say to make Chip decide to cancel his other interviews?

I think it's highly unrealistic to think the Bills are capable of that, regardless of their salesmanship or the number of zeroes attached. If anything Chip could use us (or the other two teams) as leverage for a better offer. Let's say they offer him the highest coaching salary in the league with complete control over personnel – the first thing I would do is go to the Browns and Eagles with that offer and see if they could do better. There's absolutely no reason not to.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
No middle ground, huh? Seems reasonable.

Not after 13 seasons of not making the playoffs, no.

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Russ is in charge. It's his show. It falls on him. He said it Tuesday.

I'm holding him to it. Period. I understand that. Doesn't mean he said that he is willing to give Chip full control and will fire Nix and Whaley to get Chip.

-Bill
Which is why they end up with guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey, as opposed to Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher...

-Bill No one got Cowher. Shanahan wanted a big market.

My question is, what will you do if we don't get Chip?

Skooby
01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Back the Brinks truck up behind Chip's car & block it in, then tell him he can have both parked at his house.

Wolffman
01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Looks like Oregon is making plans if Kelly bolts: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2013/01/03/fiesta-bowl-university-of-oregon-ducks-football-coach-chip-kelly-mark-helfrich/1807463/

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Not after 13 seasons of not making the playoffs, no.

-Bill

You're blaming the last 13 years of Buffalo Bills Football on Russ Brandon? The guy who just got full control of the organization a couple days ago?

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
There is no realistic offer in the world that would make it unnecessary for Chip to take his meetings with the Browns and Eagles. Outside of an ultimatum, which would be dumb, what could Brandon say to make Chip decide to cancel his other interviews?

I think it's highly unrealistic to think the Bills are capable of that, regardless of their salesmanship or the number of zeroes attached. If anything Chip could use us (or the other two teams) as leverage for a better offer. Let's say they offer him the highest coaching salary in the league with complete control over personnel – the first thing I would do is go to the Browns and Eagles with that offer and see if they could do better. There's absolutely no reason not to.

This is part of the problem... People are already making up excuses or thinking up scenarios that they would be OK with settling...

When are some people of this fanbase going to stop accepting this whole "We're not good enough to get player X or Coach Y" mentality and expect the Bills to be run like a National Football League franchise? 13 years of irrelevance isn't enough?

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Looks like Oregon is making plans if Kelly bolts: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2013/01/03/fiesta-bowl-university-of-oregon-ducks-football-coach-chip-kelly-mark-helfrich/1807463/

I was hoping he'd bring his OC at Oregon with him. Guess not.

trapezeus
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
rooney rule has worked, btw. it seems like the idea of just interviewing token applicants has gone to the wayside, and legitimate candidates that areas good a risk as other candidates are getting a chance and getting jobs.

so while people still seem to think that it's some token program, i think the results have shown more black coaches getting a shot when they might not have otherwise. And several of them are having varied success on pace with the likes of the norv turners/ dick jaurons/ and chan gaileys who have track records of failure but consistently get a second and third try.

BLeonard
My question is, what will you do if we don't get Chip?

Demand that they get someone better than Chip. Since Chip is pretty high on my list, getting someone better would be difficult.

-Bill

justasportsfan
This is part of the problem... People are already making up excuses or thinking up scenarios that they would be OK with settling...

huh? Just because I'm thinking about scenarios doesn't mean I'm settling.

delectrolux
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM

When are some people of this fanbase going to stop accepting this whole "We're not good enough to get player X or Coach Y" mentality and expect the Bills to be run like a National Football League franchise? 13 years of irrelevance isn't enough?

-Bill

I never said the Bills aren't good enough to get Chip Kelly, or any player or coach. All I'm saying is I can't see a sane reality where Chip Kelly wouldn't take his other meetings. It would just be dumb on his part, especially on his first trip out to the big leagues. You at least have to hear what they're gonna say.

SquishDaFish
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Leonard your being unrealistic. It takes two to tango we cant just handcuff Chip and tell him your our coach. I bet they are going to offer him alot of cash but its up to him to accept it. Lovie Smith isnt a bad backup plan if it is him that we sign.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
You're blaming the last 13 years of Buffalo Bills Football on Russ Brandon? The guy who just got full control of the organization a couple days ago?

You don't buy that bull, do you? Brandon has had "full control" for a while. Look at the Memorandum of Understanding for the new lease... Wilson's name isn't on it, Brandon's is.

That Press Conference was little more than a publicity stunt. A show, to convince fans that they really mean it this time. They've done this in the past, too, right before Marv trotted out with Dick Jauron and Buddy trotted out with Chan Gailey.

If they wanna make me beleive that things are really different, they're gonna have to prove it.

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
If they wanna make me beleive that things are really different, they're gonna have to prove it.

-Bill
Just because they don't end up hiring a coach YOU WANT doesn't mean they aren't proving it.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Rotoworld.com said Chip does not want total control so thats not an issue.

I highly doubt we will get Kelly anyway. Multiple reports have came out that its Philly, Cleveland or Oregon. Dont get your hopes up because it isnt happening.

Wolffman
01-03-2013, 03:11 PM

I highly doubt we will get Kelly anyway. Multiple reports have came out that its Philly, Cleveland or Oregon. Dont get your hopes up because it isnt happening.

Remember when there were multiple reports Mario would not sign here?

Just saying. Let people have hope for a small time at least.

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM

I think Whisenhunt is our guy because of the Whaley ties.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Horton has the same ties to Whaley. I would rather have Horton than Whis.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
huh? Just because I'm thinking about scenarios doesn't mean I'm settling.

Not yet, but you're prepared to...

I never said the Bills aren't good enough to get Chip Kelly, or any player or coach. All I'm saying is I can't see a sane reality where Chip Kelly wouldn't take his other meetings. It would just be dumb on his part, especially on his first trip out to the big leagues. You at least have to hear what they're gonna say.

How many other places did Mario Williams visit?

Leonard your being unrealistic. It takes two to tango we cant just handcuff Chip and tell him your our coach. I bet they are going to offer him alot of cash but its up to him to accept it. Lovie Smith isnt a bad backup plan if it is him that we sign.

Not unrealistic, simply raising the expectations... Personally, I'm tired of hearing "backup plan" being used in damn near everything regarding the Bills.

Again, let's see if old Russ can back up his big, bad press conference... Or, if he's just a big, bad bull****ter.

-Bill

delectrolux
01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
You don't buy that bull, do you? Brandon has had "full control" for a while. Look at the Memorandum of Understanding for the new lease... Wilson's name isn't on it, Brandon's is.

That Press Conference was little more than a publicity stunt. A show, to convince fans that they really mean it this time. They've done this in the past, too, right before Marv trotted out with Dick Jauron and Buddy trotted out with Chan Gailey.

-Bill

I don't buy any of that either. Anyone who thinks Ralph's been running this ship for the last 10 years is kidding themselves.

I do buy that Doug Whaley is taking over the football side of things within the year from Nix. And I do buy the fact that he's going to have a very big say in who the next coach is, and for the first time. I also understand that it's an uphill climb anytime this franchise goes out to find a coach, especially without a QB – a climb that could scare off somebody like Chip Kelly. But I think there's a good case to be made to any young coach for being the start of something great in Buffalo. Bringing back a storied franchise with an amazing fanbase to glory.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Remember when there were multiple reports Mario would not sign here?

Just saying. Let people have hope for a small time at least.

Theres always a chance, i just dont see it. My first choice would be him with a good cover 2 DC like Lovie.

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Not yet, but you're prepared to...

lol. Look , I want Chip but he hasn't done anything in the NFl as a HC either. He's just as much as a crapshoot as anyone out there.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Just because they don't end up hiring a coach YOU WANT doesn't mean they aren't proving it.

Actually, I'd prefer Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden... Thus far, neither of them have taken interviews. If either of them does start taking interviews, I'll expect the Bills to focus on them, unless they have already signed Kelly.

I couldn't care less about any coach that was just fired from their job. We did that twice already, with Jauron and Gailey.

-Bill

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Horton has the same ties to Whaley. I would rather have Horton than Whis.

If either one of them is hired, I wonder if the other is willing to be the OC here. Would Whisenhunt take orders from his former HC?

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

-Bill

Yikes.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
If either one of them is hired, I wonder if the other is willing to be the OC here. Would Whisenhunt take orders from his former HC? Horton is a DC, not an OC.

trapezeus
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
the sell for brandon is simple. "look, we have a front office that wants to win. we know you want control, and we are willing to give you that, but we want you to be able to focus on coaching. we want you to know you feel comfortable with them as you build a winner. Perhaps another team will give you complete control, but then a. you will be overworked and b. you will take the full responsibility of any failures that come up. we think our way is more helpful to coaching, and honestly, if you need some people you like in the front office, give us their name. if hiring them gets you, we'll do that. that's our commitment to you and making you the best coach you can be."

then you tell him to shop around, get his price, and then know that we'll beat it.

that gets chip kelly and anyone who would want full control but has never really had full control of an NFL club.

i would be curious to know what chip kelly's defensive thoughts are. who are his coordinators he'd like. what would they run, how do they maximize talent, etc.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I dont know if Chip could handle the fans in BUF or PHI. He typically keeps to the X's and O's of coaching and is not a fan of press conferences and community relations type of things. Could he take the criticism if things go south?

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Horton is a DC, not an OC.

you know what I meant. One willing to be a coordinator for the other ;)

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

-BillBTW, Shanahan said no thanks to the bills and Ralph was willing to go for Sherman who was a high priced coach but Marv talked him into Jauron.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
you know what I meant. One willing to be a coordinator for the other ;)

I figured. I doubt Whis would want to take orders from Horton.

justasportsfan
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I figured. I doubt Whis would want to take orders from Horton.

this is why I think Whisenhunt is the guy. Bills may be able to get both here that way.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
The more is stay tuned the more depressed I get. Why don't we just skip to our fith choice and see if we can beg them to take this crappy job and get it over with

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
BTW, Shanahan said no thanks to the bills and Ralph was willing to go for Sherman who was a high priced coach but Marv talked him into Jauron.

The major question is, WHY did Shanahan say no?

Maybe it was because, even though the Bills publicly said that "money is no object" when getting a coach, when it came time to sit down and actually prove it, they weren't quite willing to back their mouths up with the checkbook.

It was also public knowledge that the Bills met with Bill Cowher. Now, from Cowher's perspective, if he wasn't interested in coaching, why did he even agree to meet with the Bills? Also, there was no documentation that he met with any other team besides the Bills.

Based on that info, I can only deduce that, when Cowher met with the Bills, they didn't offer him what he wanted, whether it be control, money, or a combination of the two. So, he suggested Chan gailey, a guy that probably would accept the job, considering he was out of football by being fired, as opposed to by choice, as Cowher is.

If Russ is true to his word, the money shouldn't be an issue. If Kelly wants certain control on the football side, Nix and Whaley should be smart enough to work with him on that. after all, Nix is gonna be gone sooner than later and whaley doesn't seem like he's power hungry, or he would have went somewhere where he could have had full control, as opposed to being under a 70 year old first time GM.

Just my opinions. The Bills, if they want to, should be able to work with Kelly's wants in order to get his services.

Apparently, Kelly isn't looking for any type of major control, so a lot of it will likley come down to contract length and money... Two things the Bills should be able to agree with him on.

-Bill

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
my wildcard is mike holmgren and they get alex smith plus draft a qb in rd 1 or 2

Novacane
01-03-2013, 04:16 PM

If that's the case nothings changed. Just hire someone who the GM or soon to be GM is friends with? Just shoot me!

Wolffman
01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I dont know if Chip could handle the fans in BUF or PHI. He typically keeps to the X's and O's of coaching and is not a fan of press conferences and community relations type of things. Could he take the criticism if things go south?

There isn't a place where he'll be loved so much for doing so little (make the playoffs) as Buffalo.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
So the Mario situation was painful with long periods of not hearing if were still meeting with him or not... And it ended well.

We were interviewing Kelly today and have not heard anything about us being done yet or that he is interviewing anyone else...

Could we be holding him hostage until he says yes or no?

SeatownBillsFan21
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Dont torture yourselves Chip will not be the next head coach of our Buffalo Bills.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Dont torture yourselves Chip will not be the next head coach of our Buffalo Bills.
Don't' tell me what to do.

Maybe I picture the Bills as my whip and my chain.

Don't judge me.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Tony Grossi from ESPN Cleveland is saying it's almost a done deal... Chip to the Browns. It's through Bruce Hooley who is a host of ESPN 850

https://twitter.com/BHOOLZ/status/287323231331954688

(https://twitter.com/BHOOLZ/status/287323231331954688)

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
So the Mario situation was painful with long periods of not hearing if were still meeting with him or not... And it ended well.

We were interviewing Kelly today and have not heard anything about us being done yet or that he is interviewing anyone else...

Could we be holding him hostage until he says yes or no?

Tim Graham did tweet that it was just a token interview from both sides...for whatever that's worth. I dunno what kind of sources he has.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Tony Grossi from ESPN Cleveland is saying it's almost a done deal... Chip to the Browns. It's through Bruce Hooley who is a host of ESPN 850

https://twitter.com/BHOOLZ/status/287323231331954688

(https://twitter.com/BHOOLZ/status/287323231331954688)

Isn't that someone tweeting to Grossi what he thinks not Grossi saying it?

Jaybird
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
its on the NFL network ticker as well.. Deal is almost done with the browns

Slim
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Tim Graham did tweet that it was just a token interview from both sides...for whatever that's worth. I dunno what kind of sources he has.
I think the deal with the Browns and Kelly was all-but done before today even started.

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
So all that debate over a guy that had no intention of going to Buffalo in the first place.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Bob called it 5 days ago #dealsdone lol

Skooby
01-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Another one bites the dust.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-04-2013, 05:23 PM
So all that debate over a guy that had no intention of going to Buffalo in the first place.
Did you ever think he had any real interest in coaching the Bills?

SeatownBillsFan21
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Don't' tell me what to do.

Maybe I picture the Bills as my whip and my chain.

Don't judge me.
Not judging lol. I was hoping we got him but never thought it was a realistic possibility. As he would have demanded a huge contract that this team would not have put up.

Don't Panic
01-04-2013, 06:26 PM
This blows if true...

Skooby
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
This blows if true...

Wasn't Reid going to be the AZ coach as well?

Novacane
01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Doesn't bother me. He'd of gotten us plenty of attention but I'd rather win. He's a big gamble IMO.