Just to challenge the Chip Kelly fans for a minute...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Just to challenge the Chip Kelly fans for a minute...

So we hated Gailey when he wouldn't let Lindell try a 50 yard field goal that he probably couldn't hit.

But, we really want a guy who goes for 2 point conversions instead of the extra point in the 1st quarter?

Does anyone really think this place wouldn't explode if a call like fails and we end the game losing by 1 point?

I won't mind the hiring at all but if questionable play calling drove you nuts with Gailey how well will this guy go over with you?

It will be new alright and different but many of you will want him gone after his first year... hell maybe after the first loss.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Re: Just to challenge the Chip Kelly fans for a minute...

If coaches played by the numbers, teams would go for it a lot more on 4th down and on 2pts. If you think we'll lose a few games through being aggressive in this way, we'll certainly win our fair share too. Bring on the new game.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

I'd take a gambler any day
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• plundar
        • Mar 2006

Sean Payton when he went for an onsides kick in the Super Bowl? I want a coach that plays to win. Not one that plays to try and not lose.

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

I doubt he would be going for 2pt conversions and 4th downs as much as he does as college coach if he ever went to the NFL. He would take into account the game along with the increased competition when it comes down to the odds of pulling off. It's much easier to pull that off when they are going against some 2nd rate college teams as opposed to going against the Patriots, etc.

With that said he shows he would have the guts to take a chance when it was needed. He wouldn't be like Gailey and kick a FG on 4th and short instead of going for a TD when you're down by 13+ points halfway through the 4th quarter and your defense has had trouble stopping them most of the day to begin with.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

That's complete BS as the Bills fan are going extreme. I can't help but laugh at the crowd on WGR when Whisenhunt's record of punting inside 40 yard line is any indication that he's no good or worse than Chan. Do they study each of those situations? Do they know the Cards offense is horrible whereas the D is more decent? Do they know what kind of kicker they had in those cases? None. But that percentage is all you need to do if a coach is any good.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
              • Oct 2002

Kelly is exuding more confidence and aggressiveness. Killer instinct. Gailey is showing no faith in either the kicker or the offense. Much more conservative. Two different approaches.

Not saying going for two is the way to go, but the two examples do show the differences in styles.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

I know you must be upset about Gailey getting fired since he had that one winning record with the Cowboys around 10 years ago and he was destined to make us SB contenders but you can't compare apples to oranges. I'm sure one of the other 6+ teams will jump on him for his proven winning track record and reap the rewards from us. Gailey will be just fine.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Ok guys, like I said I will like the signing because I tend to like taking risks and don't dwell as much on a few play calls when your QB is sub-par.

I just want to look at this with eyes wide open and be willing to be critical of what we ask for and what we get.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                    Ok guys, like I said I will like the signing because I tend to like taking risks and don't dwell as much on a few play calls when your QB is sub-par.

I just want to look at this with eyes wide open and be willing to be critical of what we ask for and what we get.
                    I doubt you will see him on the Buffalo sidelines. It's just the normal every 3 years offseason talk for the Bills when it comes to playing out games in your head with the new coach since we're destined to be better after we fired the previous bum. Too bad it's been 13 years of waiting for that to actually happen though.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                      • Feb 2005

We won't get Kelly, it'll be effin wiz man
                      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

First off, look at the situation... It was after a KR TD to open the game... Going for 2 there makes sense, as it's essentially your first offensive play from scrimmage and the defense's first look at you... Going for two there is trying to step on the other team's throat before they even get out of the gate. In that situation, I think it's a smart move.

Second and probably most importantly, the 2 point conversion was successful. Looks like it was the right call to me.

-Bill

Comment

• GreedoII
                          • Aug 2007

the game tonight is basically an exhibition game that means nothing really. No stakes here so he went for it. Nothing to lose or gain here except showcasing to Nfl teams. He won't do this much I think in the nfl

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

OK, did everyone else just see that drive after the missed FG? Where Oregon pretty much walked down the field...? 5 plays, 76 yards in like 45 seconds... Gailey and Jauron would have taken a ******* knee and went to the locker room.

Remember the Bills offense two weeks ago, down in Miami... Down by a couple scores with 5 or so minutes left... But, instead of trying to score quick and get back in the game, there they were, lollygagging down the field, taking their sweet old time.

THAT is what Chip Kelly would bring to the Bills... A sense of urgency and a killer instinct. Qualities that the Dick Jaurons and Chan Gaileys of the coaching world DON'T HAVE!

-Bill
                            Last edited by BLeonard; 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                              OK, did everyone else just see that drive after the missed FG? Where Oregon pretty much walked down the field...? 5 plays, 76 yards in like 45 seconds... Gailey and Jauron would have taken a ******* knee and went to the locker room.

Remember the Bills offense two weeks ago, down in Miami... Down by a couple scores with 5 or so minutes left... But, instead of trying to score quick and get back in the game, there they were, lollygagging down the field, taking their sweet old time.

THAT is what Chip Kelly would bring to the Bills... A sense of urgency and a killer instinct. Qualities that the Dick Jaurons and Chan Gaileys of the coaching world DON'T HAVE!

-Bill
                              I am only saying that we ran guys out of town for a lot less questionable play calling. If it wasn't you or any fans of hiring Chip Kelly so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X