PDA

View Full Version : Chris Trapasso: "Bills Head Coaching Job is Whisenhunt's if he wants it."

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Tim Graham also reporting that he is the favorite.

Chan Gailey 2.0

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
i will never watch another ******** game again

X-Era
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
This is ebb and flow during the process with nothing concrete.

We will know for sure when we know for sure.

kingJofNYC
i will never watch another ******** game again

It's the Bills beat writer from Bleacher report, but you also have Graham saying he's the favorite, and they've scheduled another interview with Whisenhunt as well.

I'll wait before screaming bloody murder, but if they hire this fool I'm done.

BillsFever21
I would not be surprised by this one bit. That would be the normal Buffalo Bills hire. Pick up the junk that was recently fired and that nobody else wanted as HC and sign him on the cheap and hope for the best. We did it with Jauron and Gailey and it wouldn't shock me one bit.

They went from hiring coordinators hoping to strike gold with Williams and Mularkey to signing retreads that failed other places. I'd rather try with a good young coordinator and hope to strike gold then hire fired retreads that failed their first(sometimes second) time around and that nobody else wanted.

Bangarang
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
What happened to no stone left unturned?

I would hate to draft a coach simply because of previous ties to Whaley. Regardless, this seemed destined to happen and I hope he brings in good coordinators and sticks to delegating.

plundar
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Status quo. Go with a guy they are comfortable with. What has changed?

Mad Max
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
If true, he'll be the Bills' next HC. Because no other team is going to be idiotic enough to pick up an Arizona Cardinal reject as a first option.

The Bills (if this happens) need to change their logo to a groundhog.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I'd rather have Chan back, not even joking.

This dude traded Rogers Cromartie and a second for Kevin ****ing Kolb. Nuff said. Zero talent on the OL because he thought Grimm could work wonders with any OL that he worked with. Doesn't run the ball.

What do they see in this guy?

DraftBoy
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
He may be right in the end, but as of now I wouldn't rush to the presses.

DBrown77
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Where does this fool get his info?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I heard a few things about him in Pittsburgh. I won't comment on unless he is indeed hired.

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 08:36 PM

This dude traded Rogers Cromartie and a second for Kevin ****ing Kolb. Nuff said. Zero talent on the OL because he thought Grimm could work wonders with any OL that he worked with. Doesn't run the ball.

As much as I couldn't stand Gailey I agree. If all their plans are is to go out and hire another coach who already failed then I'd rather stick it out for another year or two and see what happens and keep some continuity.

Whisenhunt had a good start to his career because he had Kurt Warner. After that he was terrible and unable to find or groom a decent QB or even have a good offense. He has one of the best WR's in the NFL and couldn't even get him the football.

Jeff1220
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I still don't understand how you anybody can compare Gailey or Jauron to Whisenhunt. When was the last time Jauron or Gailey ever HCed a SB team? Not just any SB team, but a team as historically bad as the Arizona Cardinals being turned into a SB team? From most accounts their management is on par or even worse than the Bills, and the guy had more success there than the Bills have had since before my oldest child was born (she's 14). Talk about overreaction...and it isn't even official.

DraftBoy
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
To note same writer said if Bills fired Nix, Caldwell was the guy for the job and that he's hire Greg Roman.

Bills did not fire Nix and Roman's name has not been mentioned in connection with Buffalo.

X-Era
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
To note same writer said if Bills fired Nix, Caldwell was the guy for the job and that he's hire Greg Roman.

Bills did not fire Nix and Roman's name has not been mentioned in connection with Buffalo.Agree here Db.

SquishDaFish
01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
He is prob the favorite but I call Bull**** on the report. Why would Lovie be flying to Arizona right now for an interview and why would Chip be having an interview if the job was Wizs?

jdbillsfan
01-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Hopefully Blame Canada is right and not this guy...

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
If this is true, then basically, after all of that huffing and puffing about an "exhaustive coaching search" and how they would "leave no stone unturned," the first mother****er they interview impresses these guys so much that they say to themselves "You know what? **** it, we've got our guy..."?

Whisenhunt getting this job in the next 48 hours tells me that every word of that Press Conference was nothing more than a sales pitch to the fans. "Exhaustive" and "no stone unturned" my ass...

-Bill

IAG
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
This is a GREAT hire. Do it. NO to Mr. Gimmick Chip Kelly.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 09:02 PM
This is a GREAT hire. Do it. NO to Mr. Gimmick Chip Kelly.

"Mr. Gimmick" just drove his team 75 yards down the field in 45 seconds and is up 22-10 at the half after an 11-1 season.

Ken Whisenhunt went 1-11 in his last 12 games, went 1-5 in his own division and lost at home to Chan Gailey, who won a grand total of 4 road games over his three year tenure in Buffalo...

13 years apparently isn't enough for you...

-Bill

X-Era
01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
If this is true, then basically, after all of that huffing and puffing about an "exhaustive coaching search" and how they would "leave no stone unturned," the first mother****er they interview impresses these guys so much that they say to themselves "You know what? **** it, we've got our guy..."?

Whisenhunt getting this job in the next 48 hours tells me that every word of that Press Conference was nothing more than a sales pitch to the fans. "Exhaustive" and "no stone unturned" my ass...

-BillRuss's words were a sales pitch; he's a salesman. That's what he does.

But, will Wiz be the wrong hire? Only time will tell.

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I still don't understand how you anybody can compare Gailey or Jauron to Whisenhunt. When was the last time Jauron or Gailey ever HCed a SB team? Not just any SB team, but a team as historically bad as the Arizona Cardinals being turned into a SB team? From most accounts their management is on par or even worse than the Bills, and the guy had more success there than the Bills have had since before my oldest child was born (she's 14). Talk about overreaction...and it isn't even official.

Just because a coach made it to the SB doesn't make them a great coach. Many failed coaches in the recent history of the NFL have made it to the SB only to never have any real success afterwards.

Many thought Jauron was going to be a good hire at the time because he took a 13-3 Bears team to the NFL Championship game and was the Coach of the Year. We all know how that turned out.

Just in the last 12 years guys like Mike Martz(who also had Kurt Warner) made it to the SB and lost. Along with that list of other overall failed HC's that made it to the SB without any long-term sustained success is...

Jim Fassel
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fassel)Mike Martz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martz)
Bill Callahan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_%28American_football%29)
Jim Caldwell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caldwell_%28American_football%29)

You can even put Lovie Smith into this group to some extent but not as bad. He had three playoff appearances in like 9 years as a HC. There will always be coaches who have a good run whether it's because they have a HOF type QB at the time or they go on a good run when it matters and make the SB.

If you count Brian Billick who even won a SB that makes 6 HC's who have been to the SB in the past 12 years that are no longer a HC(7 including Whisenhunt) and/or didn't last very long after that apperance. Out of them past 12 SB's there have been 18 different coaches in them. That means 7 of them 18 coaches didn't have much success afterwards which is 38% of them.

Out of that list of 7 guys how many of them would you consider great coaches? All of them are still young enough to still be HC but nobody has seemed to want them. It still remains to be seen as far as Smith and Whisenhunt goes. So basically outside of the two that just got fired the other 5 HC's doesn't even currently have ANY NFL job at this point let alone as a HC. A SB appearance doesn't mean they're a good HC. Hell Barry Switzer won a SB and didn't last long after that. Maybe we should also give him a call.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
It will be EPIC if Whisenhunt tells the bills no thanks and sits it out or take an OC job somewhere else

Bone
01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I just looked At the cards last 6 drafts...absolute train wreck. I hope wiz has no say on draft day.

BLeonard
01-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Russ's words were a sales pitch; he's a salesman. That's what he does.

But, will Wiz be the wrong hire? Only time will tell.

I don't need any time to tell you what the result will be... Three more years and we'll be sittin in this exact spot again, only three years older.

I didn't need time in 2010, either, when the Bills hired Gailey.

-Bill

acehole
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Wait fot it...

UOTE=kingJofNYC;3735600]Tim Graham also reporting that he is the favorite.

Chan Gailey 2.0[/QUOTE]

ICRockets
01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
What does everyone have against Whisenhunt? He never had anything on offense beyond Kurt Warner and a nice WR corps. The only missing piece on our offense would be a QB. That gives him 2 things he didn't have in Arizona- a strong OL and an elite HB.

Jeff1220
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Just because a coach made it to the SB doesn't make them a great coach. Many failed coaches in the recent history of the NFL have made it to the SB only to never have any real success afterwards.

Many thought Jauron was going to be a good hire at the time because he took a 13-3 Bears team to the NFL Championship game and was the Coach of the Year. We all know how that turned out.

Just in the last 12 years guys like Mike Martz(who also had Kurt Warner) made it to the SB and lost. Along with that list of other overall failed HC's that made it to the SB without any long-term sustained success is...

Jim Fassel
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fassel)Mike Martz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martz)
Bill Callahan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_%28American_football%29)
Jim Caldwell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caldwell_%28American_football%29)

You can even put Lovie Smith into this group to some extent but not as bad. He had three playoff appearances in like 9 years as a HC. There will always be coaches who have a good run whether it's because they have a HOF type QB at the time or they go on a good run when it matters and make the SB.

If you count Brian Billick who even won a SB that makes 6 HC's who have been to the SB in the past 12 years that are no longer a HC(7 including Whisenhunt) and/or didn't last very long after that apperance. Out of them past 12 SB's there have been 18 different coaches in them. That means 7 of them 18 coaches didn't have much success afterwards which is 38% of them.

Out of that list of 7 guys how many of them would you consider great coaches? All of them are still young enough to still be HC but nobody has seemed to want them. It still remains to be seen as far as Smith and Whisenhunt goes. So basically outside of the two that just got fired the other 5 HC's doesn't even currently have ANY NFL job at this point let alone as a HC. A SB appearance doesn't mean they're a good HC. Hell Barry Switzer won a SB and didn't last long after that. Maybe we should also give him a call.

Of the four coaches you highlight, three of them picked up good teams that were built by a well regarded coach (Martz/Vermeil, Callahan/Gruden, Caldwell/Dungy...and Switzer/JJ). Whisenhunt became the coach of a one of the most dysfunctional franchises in sports after a disasterous stint with Denny Green as coach. He turned them into a respectable, contending team. The argument that "he did nothing without Warner" is as ridiculous as making the claim about any coach who has most of his success with a particular QB.
As for Fassel, he was up and down with the Giants, with a SB and other postseason play, but I think his ego ultimately got in the way of getting other HC gigs....Billick as well.
I don't know for sure that he'd be successful, but he's got a heck of a lot better track record than any other HC the Bills have hired since Wade Phillips. They way many people here latch on to one HC candidate or one draft pick or one FA, and "all the others are just like (insert the previous coach/draft/FA failure)" is ridiculous.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
absolutely awful news if true.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Why do you put faith in some clown who said Caldwell was in line for the Bills GM job and Greg Roman as HC who we haven't even approached.......

- - - Updated - - -

Chan Gailey 2.0

This guy and Timmy G also reported Nix was headed to Detroit....they're in the dark.

JoeMama
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Same old ****.

I hate this organization.

Pure garbage from top to bottom.

mjt328
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
One of the reasons that our organization CONTINUES to fail, is because our front office/coaches seem to think they can make gold out of crap.

Good coaches have continued success, and find ways to win regardless of the talent they have to work with. The rest are nothing more than excuses waiting to happen.

Ken Whisenhunt had his opportunity as a head coach in this league.

In 6 years, the best record his team could put together was 10-6. He only did that once. He was only able to make the playoffs twice. That was in arguably the worst division in football. After his Hall of Fame quarterback retired, his team put together a record of 18-30 in 3 seasons. His total record is a whopping 45-51.

What is the excuse? He didn't have a good enough quarterback? Well I'm sure he was partially responsible for the Kevin Kolb trade and drafting bums like John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, etc. And it's not like he's walking into a great QB situation in Buffalo...

I had no problem when Tom Donahoe took a chance on up-and-coming coordinators like Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey. And despite being very underwhelmed by the choice of Chan Gailey, I think he at least deserved another shot as a head coach (he was 18-14 in two years with Dallas).

But the hiring of Dick Jauron (36-49 head coaching record when we got him) was terrible. Whisenhunt may ultimately be an upgrade over Gailey, but I doubt very much that he's the answer.

imbondz
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Whisenhunt was the OC at Pittsburgh when they won the SB. He took a terrible franchise to the SB, tho he had one of the best QB's of all time. He's not my first choice, but I won't flip out if he gets hired. It'd be interesting to know what Cardinal players thought of him.

clumping platelets
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
:down:

BidsJr
01-03-2013, 09:58 PM
:down:

This.

Hiring a coach with a WORSE record than the Bills had this year=meltdown city.

BidsJr
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
This.

Hiring a coach with a WORSE record than the Bills had this year=meltdown city.

Oh and this is why it will NEVER happen. My money is on Russ going all in with Chip Kelly and making the magic happen.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Whisenhunt was the OC at Pittsburgh when they won the SB. He took a terrible franchise to the SB, tho he had one of the best QB's of all time. He's not my first choice, but I won't flip out if he gets hired. It'd be interesting to know what Cardinal players thought of him.

The team quit on him down the stretch. Dockett and other players got into it on the sideline because Dockett refused to allow a team to score when that was the best strategy to win the game. Think Dockett spit in a teammates face. Team played like garbage down the stretch. I don't think he was a dick ala Haley, but when the team started their losing streak he couldn't pull them out of it, ala Jauron and Gailey.

Cleve
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
hahahaha!!! For everyone that was 'optimistic' about Brandon's promotion, and believed everything he was saying, I would find this hysterically funny if Whisenhunt is named the coach.

mikemac2001
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
i trust blame Canada

but i wonder how many people wanted whis a few years back

also he doesnt draft the team and his qbs were worse then ours

my issue is that div has been avg for awhile and still had iffy records

hopefully can understand my rabble

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Of the four coaches you highlight, three of them picked up good teams that were built by a well regarded coach (Martz/Vermeil, Callahan/Gruden, Caldwell/Dungy...and Switzer/JJ). Whisenhunt became the coach of a one of the most dysfunctional franchises in sports after a disasterous stint with Denny Green as coach. He turned them into a respectable, contending team. The argument that "he did nothing without Warner" is as ridiculous as making the claim about any coach who has most of his success with a particular QB.
As for Fassel, he was up and down with the Giants, with a SB and other postseason play, but I think his ego ultimately got in the way of getting other HC gigs....Billick as well.
I don't know for sure that he'd be successful, but he's got a heck of a lot better track record than any other HC the Bills have hired since Wade Phillips. They way many people here latch on to one HC candidate or one draft pick or one FA, and "all the others are just like (insert the previous coach/draft/FA failure)" is ridiculous.

That's not saying much. It's not a coincidence any success that Arizona had was when Warner joined the team and their downfall started when he left the team.

He had two winning seasons in 6 years. Is he overall better then Gailey? Probably but if all we were going to get was another coach who has been miserable the past few years then we could've just stuck with the status quo and at least had some continuity. In 6 years he was never able to develop a QB. If your side of the ball is on offense and you can't find a viable option at QB over 6 years that's not a good track record. It's not like he was in a tough division either. Outside of the 49ers coming around last year that division has been putrid up until that point.

His only success was with Warner and them were only 9 and 10 win seasons. It's not like they were even dominating people. He had a HOF QB and they got hot at the right time. One SB appearance doesn't mean you're a good coach. It's what you can do with the ever revolving turnover of players in the NFL and if you can groom a decent QB is what defines you. If you can keep having success with different players that's a lot different then riding a great QB to a SB.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Blame Canada said Chip Kelly was our first choice, but that means squat if we're not Kelly's first choice. Doesn't matter what the Bills want, Kelly's choice is the only one that matters. I know he's scheduled to interview, but who knows how this plays out. BC also said that they were just interviewing the Zona guys while waiting to interview Chip after the bowl game. Well now we're interviewing Whisenhunt a second time, that's not something you do if you're not serious about a candidate.

X-Era
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
He, himself admits his sources are full of ****.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/287051531260395520
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/287051850048495617

"Just passed along precisely what was told to me verbatim. Remember. Opinions/decisions can change. Multiple MSM sources had Andy Reid 95% percent done with the Cardinals a few days ago. Now it's the same percentage with the Chiefs. This isn't just to gain followers. Promise."

imbondz
01-03-2013, 10:14 PM
from Kurt Warner:

“I know what kind of coach he is. I’ve seen the success that he’s had. Remember the kind of football team we had before he came. It’s hard to re-build and have success with the young guys they have. It’s hard to have success without the quarterback position solidified…I don’t think it’s a reflection on Coach Whis and the coaching staff.”

NFL insider Clark Judge from CBSSports.com:

“He’s a very good coach, a terrific coach,” Judge told Cesmat Monday on ‘Big Guy on Sports.’ “But they got caught short with the [offensive] tackles, the injuries with the quarterbacks. [The problems] just won’t quit. Sometimes ownership thinks the best thing to do is just blow the whole thing up and start over. Maybe that happens with the Bidwill’s. I don’t know.”

http://www.pros2preps.com/2012/11/kurt-warner-still-believes-ken-whisenhunt-right-coach-for-cards/

-------------------------

means nothing, but better than saying he sucked as a coach.

BidsJr
01-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Blame Canada said Chip Kelly was our first choice, but that means squat if we're not Kelly's first choice. Doesn't matter what the Bills want, Kelly's choice is the only one that matters. I know he's scheduled to interview, but who knows how this plays out. BC also said that they were just interviewing the Zona guys while waiting to interview Chip after the bowl game. Well now we're interviewing Whisenhunt a second time, that's not something you do if you're not serious about the candidate.

Not going to happen with whisenhunt. Brandon is not stupid enough to try and market a coach that is statistically worse than Gailey.

BillsFever21
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
i trust blame Canada

but i wonder how many people wanted whis a few years back

also he doesnt draft the team and his qbs were worse then ours

my issue is that div has been avg for awhile and still had iffy records

hopefully can understand my rabble

Gailey sucks but at least he was able to take some scrapheap in Fitzpatrick and get 20+ TD's and an average offense out of him. Except for when they had Warner the Cardinals offense and QB play has just been completely pathetic. When you have Larry Fitzgerald and your QB's have trouble throwing for 100 yards a game and can't run the ball either that's not a very good sign.

Sure when he had Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin the offense was good. Outside of that trio they have been one of the worse in the league.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
He, himself admits his sources are full of ****.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/287051531260395520
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/287051850048495617

"Just passed along precisely what was told to me verbatim. Remember. Opinions/decisions can change. Multiple MSM sources had Andy Reid 95% percent done with the Cardinals a few days ago. Now it's the same percentage with the Chiefs. This isn't just to gain followers. Promise."

Not really, he says things can always change.

Actually said he trusts his source 100%, doesn't mean it will happen.

mikemac2001
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Gailey sucks but at least he was able to take some scrapheap in Fitzpatrick and get 20+ TD's and an average offense out of him. Except for when they had Warner the Cardinals offense and QB play has just been completely pathetic. When you have Larry Fitzgerald and your QB's have trouble throwing for 100 yards a game and can't run the ball either that's not a very good sign.

Sure when he had Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin the offense was good. Outside of that trio they have been one of the worse in the league.

they seemed fine with kolb managing games once we knocked him out they had bums playing. hard for me to blame him except for not planning ahead

- - - Updated - - -

and everyone keeps mentioning warner ...do you remember this guy with giants? he always had a sick WR crew when he was awesome

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
The team quit on him down the stretch. Dockett and other players got into it on the sideline because Dockett refused to allow a team to score when that was the best strategy to win the game. Think Dockett spit in a teammates face. Team played like garbage down the stretch. I don't think he was a dick ala Haley, but when the team started their losing streak he couldn't pull them out of it, ala Jauron and Gailey.

what was marv levy's record when jimbo left? 6-10.... im gonna let you in on something, when you dont have a qb, and i mean a qb worse than fitz, it's hopeless and really brings down team chemistry. when the cards had a healthy kolb, they were 4-1. when he got hurt, their qbs were worse then todd collins for christs sake...

his first year with leinart was 8-8 and he made the switch ot warner who started 11 games that year...

the next season, he went to a sb with warner. wtf else do you want? he was oc of pitt when they won a sb. he can assemble a good staff obviously...

in his 3rd season playoffs...

4th season- qb situation goes to **** and they only win 5 games...

in 2011, they won 8 games with kolb and skelton...

and last year, like i said, were 4-1 unitl kolb got hurt...

if we get him a qb like alex smith and draft one early to develop, that would be a great start...

Jeff1220
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
That's not saying much. It's not a coincidence any success that Arizona had was when Warner joined the team and their downfall started when he left the team.

He had two winning seasons in 6 years. Is he overall better then Gailey? Probably but if all we were going to get was another coach who has been miserable the past few years then we could've just stuck with the status quo and at least had some continuity. In 6 years he was never able to develop a QB. If your side of the ball is on offense and you can't find a viable option at QB over 6 years that's not a good track record. It's not like he was in a tough division either. Outside of the 49ers coming around last year that division has been putrid up until that point.

His only success was with Warner and them were only 9 and 10 win seasons. It's not like they were even dominating people. He had a HOF QB and they got hot at the right time. One SB appearance doesn't mean you're a good coach. It's what you can do with the ever revolving turnover of players in the NFL and if you can groom a decent QB is what defines you. If you can keep having success with different players that's a lot different then riding a great QB to a SB.

So I guess you wouldn't want Bill Belichek either since he had been a failure of a HC without HOFer Tom Brady as his QB.
I guess Jimmy Johnson sucked. After all, he only won because he had Troy Aikman...and he must've really really sucked since he needed other HOFers like Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, etc as well.

JoeMama
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Russ Brandon is the ultimate sleazy snake oil salesmen.

He'll hire some bozo at a rock bottom price but find a way to generate positive press that creates some buzz.

He's a brilliant advertiser. He makes suckers like us start believing something we know in our hearts isn't true: that the next guy will actually accomplish something. Based on the false promise of yet another three year plan.

Just like he's always done.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
So I guess you wouldn't want Bill Belichek either since he had been a failure of a HC without HOFer Tom Brady as his QB.
I guess Jimmy Johnson sucked. After all, he only won because he had Troy Aikman...and he must've really really sucked since he needed other HOFers like Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, etc as well.

i agree....

if the oline was more healthy and they had kolb all year, they would have won way more games... something to ponder...

- - - Updated - - -

people forget, they beat ne when kolb was healthy

X-Era
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
from Kurt Warner:

“I know what kind of coach he is. I’ve seen the success that he’s had. Remember the kind of football team we had before he came. It’s hard to re-build and have success with the young guys they have. It’s hard to have success without the quarterback position solidified…I don’t think it’s a reflection on Coach Whis and the coaching staff.”

NFL insider Clark Judge from CBSSports.com:

“He’s a very good coach, a terrific coach,” Judge told Cesmat Monday on ‘Big Guy on Sports.’ “But they got caught short with the [offensive] tackles, the injuries with the quarterbacks. [The problems] just won’t quit. Sometimes ownership thinks the best thing to do is just blow the whole thing up and start over. Maybe that happens with the Bidwill’s. I don’t know.”

http://www.pros2preps.com/2012/11/kurt-warner-still-believes-ken-whisenhunt-right-coach-for-cards/

-------------------------

means nothing, but better than saying he sucked as a coach.
And Casserly and others also said similar things about Gailey

X-Era
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Not really, he says things can always change.

Actually said he trusts his source 100%, doesn't mean it will happen.So he trusts a guy who doesn't know and was recently wrong.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
And Casserly and others also said similar things about Gailey

are you really comparing gailey to whisenhunt?

TrEd FTW
01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
are you really comparing gailey to whisenhunt?

Why not? One is 18-30 since 2010. The other is 16-32.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2013, 11:21 PM
So he trusts a guy who doesn't know and was recently wrong.

Mass media guys were recently wrong, yet people still rely on them and trust them in some sense.

Whatever, they're meeting with Whiz again so it's clear they are seriously considering him.

mikemac2001
01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Why not? One is 18-30 since 2010. The other is 16-32.

Jets (a good rec jets) pats and dolphins

Rams 49ers Hawks (8-8 takes the div years)

really i dont think whis is the best but comparing records is tough.....

neither gailey or whis has a QB and thats the issue they both trusted bad qb's

better days
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM

Everyone forgets that Dr Evil stole Kurt Warners Mojo & Kurt Warner was TERRIBLE from 2002 until the end of the 2007 season. He did not play well for the Rams in 2002 or 2003 & they released him before the 2004 season. The Giants signed him & he did not play well for them. He was replaced by rookie Eli Manning. Warner became a FA after the 2004 season & signed with Arizona who was Coached by Dennis Green who started Matt Leinart over him. It was not until later in 2007 when Coached by Ken Whisenhunt that Warner found his mojo again.

If not for Ken Whisenhunt, EVERYONE would view Warner differently than they do today. Whisenhunt sent Marty McFly back to the future to find Kurts Mojo & return it to him. Whisenhunt does not get enough credit for resurrecting Warners career, that is a FACT.

Crisis
01-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Hopefully Blame Canada is right and not this guy...

Where has BC said anything??

Crisis
01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Whisenhunt is a solid coach, not my favorite... but people here are definitely over reacting about how bad he is.

He's much much better hire than the Jauron/Gailey ones were.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Whisenhunt is a solid coach, not my favorite... but people here are definitely over reacting about how bad he is.

You know what coaches who are career losers do when they go to a new team? They lose. You know what Pissenhunt will do? He will come in here and lose. Glad that you are happy. I frankly deserve better than this and so does everyone else here. Its very simple, we have a ****ty qb, the qbs in the draft are nothing to write home about and as such we need a coach who can take a team with a ****ty qb and do well. That would be Lovie. Oh and if somehow Andy Reid was available he'd be even better. All Geewhiz andkunt will do is lose. So, yes if you like loser coaches, including ones who lost to the guy we just fired you'll love this move. If you love winning you'ld be up in arms.

Crisis
01-03-2013, 11:49 PM
You know what coaches who are career losers do when they go to a new team? They lose. You know what Pissenhunt will do? He will come in here and lose. Glad that you are happy. I frankly deserve better than this and so does everyone else here. Its very simple, we have a ****ty qb, the qbs in the draft are nothing to write home about and as such we need a coach who can take a team with a ****ty qb and do well. That would be Lovie. Oh and if somehow Andy Reid was available he'd be even better. All Geewhiz andkunt will do is lose. So, yes if you like loser coaches, including ones who lost to the guy we just fired you'll love this move. If you love winning you'ld be up in arms.

Career losers? The guy took the Arizona Cardinals to the Superbowl and won it all with the Steelers. I'm glad your one game sample size of losing to Chan Gailey is enough to judge a coach on, because you can use the same thing for Bill Belichick.

The Cardinals were winning games this year until Kolb got hurt, even with that pathetic OL.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Since when do coaches make trades?

Mike
01-04-2013, 01:19 AM

I lived in AZ during SB run and I can tell you this much:
1) Dennis Green should get plenty of credit for that team because he built them: He drafted & developed each player and as a result the Cards were loaded from a talent perspective
2) Green had a problem coaching the team and started Leinart instead of Kurt.
3) Whisenhunt was able to get his team to go on a hot streak during playoff run
4) After the SB much of the talent left va FA and poor drafts lead to an abysmal team as examples team passed on Adrain Peterson for a RT and dreaded away a good CB & 2nd rounder for Kolb moves that were influenced by HC

Mike
01-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Everyone forgets that Dr Evil stole Kurt Warners Mojo & Kurt Warner was TERRIBLE from 2002 until the end of the 2007 season. He did not play well for the Rams in 2002 or 2003 & they released him before the 2004 season. The Giants signed him & he did not play well for them. He was replaced by rookie Eli Manning. Warner became a FA after the 2004 season & signed with Arizona who was Coached by Dennis Green who started Matt Leinart over him. It was not until later in 2007 when Coached by Ken Whisenhunt that Warner found his mojo again.

If not for Ken Whisenhunt, EVERYONE would view Warner differently than they do today. Whisenhunt sent Marty McFly back to the future to find Kurts Mojo & return it to him. Whisenhunt does not get enough credit for resurrecting Warners career, that is a FACT.

Two things:
1) Cards would not have gone to SB without Whis & Co and Kurt's rekindled Mojo
2) Cards would not have gone to SB without Dennis Greens drafts & player development

(It's kinda like Chucky winning the SB against his former team. Players from that team say TB would have not won a SB without Gruden taking helm or without Dungy's previous contributions)

JoeMama
01-04-2013, 02:09 AM

That's setting the bar pretty high.

Figster
01-04-2013, 02:41 AM
I think you guys just need to all take a Whiz :monkeyp:

kishoph
01-04-2013, 03:28 AM

The main thing is that any coach can be/look good if the team has a good QB, it's pretty simple, just about every "good coach" has had a good QB and every "bum coach" has had a bad QB, sometimes it's the same coach, as the case with Whiesenhunt. There's no coach that's going to go to a Super Bowl with a Fitzpatrick and even a Gailey could go to a Super Bowl with a Brady (well maybe not Gailey). Look at all the potential hires that have been successful, they all had good QB's. I'm not going to freak out on a coaching selection, if they don't do something to upgrade the QB position, then I'll be pissed.

Night Train
01-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Chan Gailey 2.0

Notice the first person talking about him to the media after the initial interview was Whaley, who worked with him in Pittsburgh. It's still all about familiar faces and agreements to not walk on each others turf. Not necessarily the best candidate.

Still, the wildcard in all this is Brandon. He and no one else has to market this team and put his neck out there.

Brandon could walk into todays meeting with Kelly and say " Hey Chip, how's 8 Mil a year for 5 years sound ? " and just floor Kelly. Don't put it past him.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 04:57 AM
If we get Whisenhunt if we get a QB worth a darn, we'll be fine. If we don't get an elite QB, we'll suck.

However the same can be said for many coaches.

The thing that worries about me with Whisenhunt is his attempts at developing a young QB have been complete failures. Leinart, Kolb, Skelton.

Historian
01-04-2013, 05:50 AM
I thought he did a pretty good job with possibly the worst franchise in the history of professional sports.

If they hire him, I won't dance for joy, but I'm not going to slash my wrists either.

It would be a "typical Buffalo" move.

Don't Panic
01-04-2013, 05:50 AM

Bills did not fire Nix and Roman's name has not been mentioned in connection with Buffalo.

something tells me there is going to be a team that hires this combo and has a lot of success as a result. I hope this isn't another case of the above average fan knowing more than a team's front office... again.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 06:57 AM
If Wisenhunt is hired we should all know at the point that the Bills have not changed and will not change. To take another crappy team's garbage and call it "forward thinking" is literally spitting in the face of every Bills fan and KNOWING they'll accept it and not only that but give OBD a big THANK YOU by continuing to buy tickets and jerseys.

I don't live in Buffalo, I hope for the sake of the integrity of Bills fans that Buffalonians make it CLEAR that Wisenhunt hire will not be accepted. If that doesn't happen, we deserve being kicked in the teeth again for the next 3 seasons.

What I will do is send an open letter to every Buffalo paper and to OBD.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Really? What does Wis bring? Does he specialize in anything at all? How is he a "forward thinking" candidate? What strengths does he have? He was an offensive coach with Kevin Kolb and Larry Fitz and a very solid WR corps and his offense sucked. How does your offense suck with that kind of talent? He is lucky his defense was good otherwise they would have been blown out every game. Andy Reid had Kolb and they were great together.

zone
01-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Horrible, absoulutly horrible if this is true. Whisenhunt has had a winning record 2 out of his 6 years in the NFC West which was the laughing stock of the league. Lovie Smith has had a winning record 5 out of 9 years in NFC North, against teams like the Packers and Vikings.

Whisenhunt is a carreer LOSER, just like the last 2 coaches we brought in. How exactly will the players buy into him being able to lead them to a championship when they know how terrible he is? CJ even made refrence to the fact that he uses Fitzgerald as an example of how not to get frustrated when your not being utilized.

Jeff1220
01-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Golly, I didn't know Ken Whisenhunt was the GM for the Arizona Cardinals. I thought it was Rod Graves, but according to a lot of people here it was Ken Whisenhunt all along. They tricked me! I'm so glad that I am now enlightened.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Golly, I didn't know Ken Whisenhunt was the GM for the Arizona Cardinals. I thought it was Rod Graves, but according to a lot of people here it was Ken Whisenhunt all along. They tricked me! I'm so glad that I am now enlightened.

It was his decision to play Leinart over Warner before finally turning to Warner and actually being a good team.

He couldn't develop Leinart on the field, Kolb on the field when he wasn't getting hurt nor Skelton who got plenty of playing time because Kolb was always getting hurt.

He's a sub .500 coach who couldn't develop any of the young QBs on his roster into anything. He's not a guy I would want to bring in to attempt to develop a young QB that will likely be drafted in one of the first three rounds.

mjt328
01-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Even if the GM has final say, coaches have LOTS of input into the personnel moves on the team.

Fitz wasn't forced on Gailey. He and Nix decided together that he was their best option, and they decided together to pass on guys like Dalton, Kaepernick and Wilson in the draft.
If Whisenhunt didn't think he could win with Kevin Kolb, they wouldn't have made that trade. If he didn't think he could develop John Skelton or Ryan Lindley, they would have taken someone else.

And besides, even if Whisenhunt had crappy QBs forced down his throat - a good coach still finds ways to win. If he comes here, our situation at quarterback is just as bad. The results will be the same as in Arizona, possibly even worse.

Like someone else said, you can't judge a coach based on a small sample size. His team has gone on a couple hot streaks during his time in Arizona - and one was enough to push them into the Super Bowl after a 9-7 record. But Whisenhunt's overall results in 6 years (plenty of enough time to judge him) have been well below average. Most of his time there, the NFC West was the weakest division in football and the best he could muster was a 10-6 record. In the AFC East, that will not get us into the playoffs.

Jeff1220
01-04-2013, 07:45 AM
A lot of good coaches have trouble developing crappy QBs. And how do you know the Leinert decision was his. If that was here in Buffalo, everyone would've been saying that since he was a 1st round QB from a previous regime, and the organization had a lot invested in him, that it was obvious meddling by Ralph.
Also, people have been going nuts for Gruden...when did Gruden ever develop a young QB?

Novacane
01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
You guys may be right. Winning in AZ is something worth noting. Wisenhunt may very well do great in his second chance. The point is when you just made this big deal about a new culture at OBD you don't go out and hire a guy who just lost 11 of 12 games off the scrap heap of fired coaches.

Pinkerton Security
01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Well Whis coached in Pittsburgh...and Whaley's from Pittsburgh...this isnt that shocking.

TigerJ
01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
One could probably speculate that Whisenhunt is the favorite based on the second interview reports. I never prejudge a coaching hire. I figure what happened in Arizona was due to both the coach and the GM. It is a different GM in Buffalo and a different talent core in Buffalo. Thus, Whisenhunt's tenure in Buffalo may turn out differently in Buffalo than it did in Arizone (and yes, that means it could also turn out worse). We'll start to get a clue as to how things will compare in Buffalo to Arizona when the assistant coaches get hired. I can choose to watch with interest or shake my head in disgust. I always choose to watch with interest.

don137
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Not a fan of the personnel moves done by the Cardinals when Whisinhunt was coach as far as draft picks, free agency and trades (I.e Kolb sucks). If he had no or little say then I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he did have a big say than I would say no f[#]%ing way do I want him here. I don't need more Aaron Maybin coach picks.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Career losers? The guy took the Arizona Cardinals to the Superbowl and won it all with the Steelers. I'm glad your one game sample size of losing to Chan Gailey is enough to judge a coach on, because you can use the same thing for Bill Belichick.

The Cardinals were winning games this year until Kolb got hurt, even with that pathetic OL.

Warner and Fitzgerald took the Cards to the SB. Once Warner left it was game over for Wis, even when he had a young QB that excelled in Philly (Kolb). Also, what kind of offense does Wis need to draw up for a QB (Roethlisberger) who improvises on almost every play and basically makes plays by breaking the pocket and having his WRs break off their original routes?

Wisenhunt has never done anything of note.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
If he did have a big say than I would say no f[#]%ing way do I want him here. I don't need more Aaron Maybin coach picks.

Whaley and Nix are here to make sure that doesn't happen.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
It was his decision to play Leinart over Warner before finally turning to Warner and actually being a good team.

He couldn't develop Leinart on the field, Kolb on the field when he wasn't getting hurt nor Skelton who got plenty of playing time because Kolb was always getting hurt.

He's a sub .500 coach who couldn't develop any of the young QBs on his roster into anything. He's not a guy I would want to bring in to attempt to develop a young QB that will likely be drafted in one of the first three rounds.

Quarterbacks are not color film- you don't "develop" them as much as they can play or they can't. Most (not all must most) of the improvement QB's make is from experience. But you can tell in a handful of games whether a QB can play or not in the league. You guys seriously make me laugh. This isn't complicated. Tell me what coach in this league is going to be above .500 with Matt Leinhart under center or Skelton or even Kolb. Are you guys seriously making the argument that you can win with **** under center? I thought we had proven that beyond debate here in Buffalo.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Warner and Fitzgerald took the Cards to the SB. Once Warner left it was game over for Wis, even when he had a young QB that excelled in Philly (Kolb). Also, what kind of offense does Wis need to draw up for a QB (Roethlisberger) who improvises on almost every play and basically makes plays by breaking the pocket and having his WRs break off their original routes?

Wisenhunt has never done anything of note.

Kolb "excelled" in Philly like Rob Johnson "excelled" in Jacksonville. There's a reason Philly let him go. Not sure he's better than Fitz.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Quarterbacks are not color film- you don't "develop" them as much as they can play or they can't. Most (not all must most) of the improvement QB's make is from experience. But you can tell in a handful of games whether a QB can play or not in the league. You guys seriously make me laugh. This isn't complicated. Tell me what coach in this league is going to be above .500 with Matt Leinhart under center or Skelton or even Kolb. Are you guys seriously making the argument that you can win with **** under center? I thought we had proven that beyond debate here in Buffalo.

Alright so QBs who don't look good early in their careers but then turn into good players aren't developed? They just *BAM* lights on and play lights out? They're not coached up to be better? Steve Young wasn't very good in Tampa but he was arguably even better than Montana was in SF. Jim Plunkett was garbage in NE but a two time Superbowl winner in Oakland. Drew Brees was average at best in San Diego and is now a top 3 QB in the league. Just three examples off the top of my head but are these guys not coached up and developed? Or were they purposely playing below their abilities initially?

A better coach absolutely makes the players on the field look better because he schemes and game plans to put them in better situations to succeed.

Bangarang
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Exhaustive search.

No stone left unturned.

What all that basically meant was that they (Russ et al.) already knew who they were going to hire and are including all these fancy names in their search to give the appearance of an exhaustive search. Make no mistake about it, Whisenhunt will be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Also, come draft time and we see the Bills wait until the 5th or 6th round to draft the 9th best QB we can all sit back and wait for the standard sales pitch by Buddy.

We'll go on to win 7 or 8 games. Come close to making the playoffs but always fall short. In 3 years Whisenhunt will get fired and we'll start this exhaustive head coaching search all over again.

Is it bad that we already know how this movie ends?

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Is Mike Tomlin a good coach? I think so. Would he have won more in AZ than Wisenhunt? Doubtful. They both share the same philosophy. The difference? Pitt has better players.

Bangarang
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Is Mike Tomlin a good coach? I think so. Would he have won more in AZ than Wisenhunt? Doubtful. They both share the same philosophy. The difference? Pitt has better players.

I've already accepted Whisenhunt will be the HC. I'm awaiting to see who we hires as his coordinators and if he can develop the QB we will draft.

I'm leaving room for optimism because he did coach in a Superbowl recently. I just really don't want this to blow up in our faces like all the others have.

dannyek71
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
No no no no no no no

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Alright so QBs who don't look good early in their careers but then turn into good players aren't developed? They just *BAM* lights on and play lights out? They're not coached up to be better? Steve Young wasn't very good in Tampa but he was arguably even better than Montana was in SF. Jim Plunkett was garbage in NE but a two time Superbowl winner in Oakland. Drew Brees was average at best in San Diego and is now a top 3 QB in the league. Just three examples off the top of my head but are these guys not coached up and developed? Or were they purposely playing below their abilities initially?

A better coach absolutely makes the players on the field look better because he schemes and game plans to put them in better situations to succeed.

Yes there is a light that goes on or it doesn't. Think JP Losman. There are still some idiots on this board that think his failure was because of coaching, not because the guy was not a leader and not smart. Sometimes QB's are helped by getting better weapons and OL play (Jim Plunkett is a prime example of that) and sure coaching helps some. But let's not kid ourselves. The three guys you listed are all hall of fame caliber players. I could talk a lot about each of them and their progressions but 90% or more of the credit for their progress goes to THEM not their coaches. Leinhart is a soft player. Skelton is not accurate enough. Kolb is Rob Johnson II. It is literally ridiculous to talk about guys like that in the same context as the guys you listed. You cannot win in the NFL without a real QB. Especially now.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Kolb "excelled" in Philly like Rob Johnson "excelled" in Jacksonville. There's a reason Philly let him go. Not sure he's better than Fitz.

Kolb showed a lot more in Philly than RJ in Jax.

You know what though, put allllll that aside, the bottom line is that Wisenhunt has not proven anything whether good or bad and is EXACTLY the type of coach our backward thinking FO would have targeted before making those precious "forward thinking" statements. Whether he had a fair shake in AZ or not is irrelevant.

Chip Kelly or Andy Reid or Jon Gruden or even going after Saban for example would be a sign that they are trying to change the culture. Wisenhunt is a PERFECT example of the culture in Buffalo not changing one BIT.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Mike Tomlin is nothing special and really did barely anything in Pitt. His defense is Dick Lebeau's. His offense was Bruce Arians and now Haley. Tomlin is just a rah rah guy on the sideline.

Coach's who are actually influential on their teams in the NFL because they bring a particular system and teach it to their players are:

Belichick
Reid
Rex Ryan
Dungy
Gruden
Shanahan
Lovie Smith
Mike Nolan
Norv Turner
Parcells
Coughlin to a degree
Sean Payton
Dick Lebeau
Dom Capers
Jeff Fisher to a degree
Wade Phillips
Marvin Lewis to a degree

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Well Whis coached in Pittsburgh...and Whaley's from Pittsburgh...this isnt that shocking.

I'll say this: Pittsburgh is not a bad model for a franchise in cold weather Buffalo. They have a blueprint for what they want to do, a philosophy of how to execute it and they draft players to fit the mold: have a top 5 defense every year, play tough in the trenches, run a balanced attack on offense. They've been good year in and year out with that approach and although they've been well coached they've also been talented. Coaches in the NFL are worth plus or minus 1-3 wins a year. It's an important piece of the puzzle but it's not the puzzle.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Mike Tomlin is nothing special and really did barely anything in Pitt. His defense is Dick Lebeau's. His offense was Bruce Arians and now Haley. Tomlin is just a rah rah guy on the sideline.

Coach's who are actually influential on their teams in the NFL because they bring a particular system and teach it to their players are:

Belichick
Reid
Rex Ryan
Dungy
Gruden
Shanahan
Lovie Smith
Mike Nolan
Norv Turner
Parcells
Coughlin to a degree
Sean Payton
Dick Lebeau
Dom Capers
Jeff Fisher to a degree
Wade Phillips
Marvin Lewis to a degree

So you want to have it both ways (typical Bills fan). Wisenhunt sucks because he didn't win enough in AZ but Tomlin gets no credit for going 10-6, 12-4, 9-7, 12-4, 12-4 and 8-8 in 6 years. Unreal. I could poke a bunch of holes in your silly list but why bother?

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM

You know what though, put allllll that aside, the bottom line is that Wisenhunt has not proven anything whether good or bad and is EXACTLY the type of coach our backward thinking FO would have targeted before making those precious "forward thinking" statements. Whether he had a fair shake in AZ or not is irrelevant.

Chip Kelly or Andy Reid or Jon Gruden or even going after Saban for example would be a sign that they are trying to change the culture. Wisenhunt is a PERFECT example of the culture in Buffalo not changing one BIT.

Chip Kelly would be a bold move we all agree. Andy Reid never won a SB in Philly and his team just quit on him. I think he needed a year off personally. Jon Gruden is my first choice. But Weisenhunt's star was pretty bright when he was hired in AZ and it was even brighter when he took a mediocre AZ team to within a minute of a SB win. He does bring a new philosophy, it's the one he learned for years as an asst in Pitt. To me it's silly to crucify him for the past years of poor drafting and no QB in AZ, but that's just my take.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Not really he hadn't played a whole lot more, look it up.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Chip Kelly would be a bold move we all agree. Andy Reid never won a SB in Philly and his team just quit on him. I think he needed a year off personally. Jon Gruden is my first choice. But Weisenhunt's star was pretty bright when he was hired in AZ and it was even brighter when he took a mediocre AZ team to within a minute of a SB win. He does bring a new philosophy, it's the one he learned for years as an asst in Pitt. To me it's silly to crucify him for the past years of poor drafting and no QB in AZ, but that's just my take.

What is this philosophy he brings? Andy Reid has a proven philosophy and a proven system. He's also one of the best player callers in the NFL.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
So you want to have it both ways (typical Bills fan). Wisenhunt sucks because he didn't win enough in AZ but Tomlin gets no credit for going 10-6, 12-4, 9-7, 12-4, 12-4 and 8-8 in 6 years. Unreal. I could poke a bunch of holes in your silly list but why bother?
Wisenhunt doesn't suck because he didn't win in AZ. He sucks because he has no identity. All the coaches I mentioned bring a marked identity to the team or side of the ball they coach. No one knows what Wisenhunt is.

I get that he had a bad team, my problem is that he had no direction. We all know what Chan Gailey brought and his philosophy and his system which was actually a good one. Wis doesn't even have that going for him.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Wisenhunt doesn't suck because he didn't win in AZ. He sucks because he has no identity. All the coaches I mentioned bring a marked identity to the team or side of the ball they coach. No one knows what Wisenhunt is.

I get that he had a bad team, my problem is that he had no direction. We all know what Chan Gailey brought and his philosophy and his system which was actually a good one. Wis doesn't even have that going for him.

Whisenhunt's identity going into the Arizona job was a guy who could develop QBs.

That's obviously not so true.

I, like you, sit here wondering what his offensive philosophy is after what Arizona did. All I know is that they had a horrible o-line that got their QBs killed and Larry Fitzgerald hardly ever saw the ball.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
FYI, between Whisenhunt and Lovie, only Whise has beaten the Patriots as a HC. While doesn't really mean anything based on circumstances , we need a HC who can play chess with BB>.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
FYI, between Whisenhunt and Lovie, only Whise has beaten the Patriots as a HC. While doesn't really mean anything based on circumstances , we need a HC who can play chess with BB>.

They beat them with their D though. not offense. It was Horton against Mcdaniels.

CoolBreeze
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Exhaustive search.

No stone left unturned.

What all that basically meant was that they (Russ et al.) already knew who they were going to hire and are including all these fancy names in their search to give the appearance of an exhaustive search. Make no mistake about it, Whisenhunt will be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Also, come draft time and we see the Bills wait until the 5th or 6th round to draft the 9th best QB we can all sit back and wait for the standard sales pitch by Buddy.

We'll go on to win 7 or 8 games. Come close to making the playoffs but always fall short. In 3 years Whisenhunt will get fired and we'll start this exhaustive head coaching search all over again.

Is it bad that we already know how this movie ends?

Alright 9th best!!! Here we go Jordan Rodgers!

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
They beat them with their D though. not offense. It was Horton against Mcdaniels.

Like I said means nothing because while they beat NE we beat them but we beat them when they were injured. Like I said, based on circumstances.

When the bills hire a coach, they will have to see how that coach matches up to NE well because they path to the playoffs/sb is through NE.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
What is this philosophy he brings? Andy Reid has a proven philosophy and a proven system. He's also one of the best player callers in the NFL.

Andy Reid is the new coach of the KC Chiefs. He isn't coming here so he's really not too relevant. For the record I like Reid but his most recent "proof" is that he can coach a team that in every way possible quit on him. That's a fact.

Weisenhunt brought a philosophy of playing hard nosed Steeler football to AZ. He turned around the worst franchise in the league for a while. He just didn't have enought horses.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM

I feel kind of bad for Gailey. Not that I'm a fan BUT he had Fitz to work with. People need to get their arms around the fact that a new coach is not going to change Fitz' talent level. Until we get a QB we're doomed regardless of whom roams the sidelines.

BertSquirtgum
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
No thanks.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Whisenhunt's identity going into the Arizona job was a guy who could develop QBs.

That's obviously not so true.

I, like you, sit here wondering what his offensive philosophy is after what Arizona did. All I know is that they had a horrible o-line that got their QBs killed and Larry Fitzgerald hardly ever saw the ball.

The philosophy was "give me a very good if aging QB that actually has a clue and we can win games. Give me **** and we will lose games". Until someone can convince me you can win with a bum at QB this discussion is a serious waste of time.

SABURZFAN
01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Chan Gailey 2.0

UGH!!!!! :anvil:

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Andy Reid is the new coach of the KC Chiefs. He isn't coming here so he's really not too relevant. For the record I like Reid but his most recent "proof" is that he can coach a team that in every way possible quit on him. That's a fact.

Weisenhunt brought a philosophy of playing hard nosed Steeler football to AZ. He turned around the worst franchise in the league for a while. He just didn't have enought horses.

The defense played hard nosed. His offense was soft.

acehole
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Thats the sound of the men working on yer mom....heyyy eeeahh

:whistle: :haha:

UGH!!!!! :anvil:

acehole
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Bingo...and he isnt a player coach finally.
Doesnt want control... works well with qb's.

Only thing is our d needs work an he is offensive minded coach so I hope lovey doent find a job.

Like I said means nothing because while they beat NE we beat them but we beat them when they were injured. Like I said, based on circumstances.

When the bills hire a coach, they will have to see how that coach matches up to NE well because they path to the playoffs/sb is through NE.

acehole
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
He is odds on favorite...dont be to suprised come Monday.

No thanks.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
The philosophy was "give me a very good if aging QB that actually has a clue and we can win games. Give me **** and we will lose games". Until someone can convince me you can win with a bum at QB this discussion is a serious waste of time.

Ok, then why bother interviewing a bunch of people?

Russ Brandon can just be head coach and Nix can give him a QB.

kingJofNYC
01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Bills spin machine on full blast today.

Chris Brown with the Frank Reich quotes about Whiz, Murphy going on about him, Brandon's got his shills selling hard.

JoeMama
01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I feel kind of bad for Gailey. Not that I'm a fan BUT he had Fitz to work with. People need to get their arms around the fact that a new coach is not going to change Fitz' talent level. Until we get a QB we're doomed regardless of whom roams the sidelines.

Uh... Chan declared Fitz a "franchise QB" which is why we never pursued a real franchise QB once in three whole years.

Let's not act like Chan is the victim here. The entire reason Fitz started for three straight years is because Chan is can't evaluate talent.

Chan made his bed and now he's sleeping in it.