PDA

View Full Version : roughly speaking, how much will levitre cost?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 02:41 AM
if hes a top 5 guard,(he is), how much?

should we just sign rinehart long term? hes only a notch below ...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 02:42 AM
id rather keep wood long term but dont mind if we decide to go with levitre long term instead of wood. ( wood has injury concerns)

JoeMama
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
If the dumb asses who run this team let Andy Levitre walk, I'm going to be furious.

Drive a dump truck full of cash up to his house and beg him to sign.

The guy is sturdy, dependable, and versatile. Far and away our best lineman.

With that said...

If I know how the Bills front office works (and I think I do) Levitre is as good as gone.

Ginger Vitis
01-04-2013, 04:45 AM
if hes a top 5 guard,(he is), how much?

should we just sign rinehart long term? hes only a notch below ...

Levitres agent should be able to get Andy a deal for 5 or 6 years that averages at least $8 million a year

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Signed a five-year, $47.5 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed

That's what Carl Nicks got. Levitre will get similar.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Signed a five-year, $47.5 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed

That's what Carl Nicks got. Levitre will get similar.

Not sure if spending that much on a LG is smart business. Levitre is awesome but that kind of contract can hurt you especially for a position that is not too hard to cover off.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Not sure if spending that much on a LG is smart business. Levitre is awesome but that kind of contract can hurt you especially for a position that is not too hard to cover off.

That's part of the reason why I don't think we'll be retaining him.

Even if we get a hometown discount from him, we're still gonna have to pay him, at minimum, 5 years 40m 20m ish guaranteed

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 07:51 AM
just resign rinehart

coastal
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
At least we have Fool's Gold.

EDS
01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
The Bills are pros at letting top lineman go.

trapezeus
01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
he's an oregon man right? maybe chip kelly and the chance to be a winner makes sense to levitre to stay.

i think he will be expensive, but i think you have to keep him. the bills are finally getting a line together, and he's consistent and he always plays. you might find a stat guy who can do what he does in the draft, but will he have the durability levitre has. That is a big part of why i'd keep him.

Crisis
01-04-2013, 08:30 AM
he's an oregon man right? maybe chip kelly and the chance to be a winner makes sense to levitre to stay.

i think he will be expensive, but i think you have to keep him. the bills are finally getting a line together, and he's consistent and he always plays. you might find a stat guy who can do what he does in the draft, but will he have the durability levitre has. That is a big part of why i'd keep him.

He's an Oregon guy, just the wrong college. He was a beaver.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 08:33 AM

if you do keep him, its probably going to be him over wood. which makes sense because wood has 1 more year and has health issues...

trapezeus
01-04-2013, 08:35 AM
it can't be either or...it has to be both.

Front load the contracts with guaranteed money and easy terms to break if they don't live up to the contract. they are very good at what they do. they seem to be stand up guys. we need ot keep drafting to add depth to these guys. not to replace them.

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Carl Nicks is the highest paid in the league averaging around $9.5 million a year. The second highest is Logan Mankins around $8.5. I don't think Levitre is bold enough to demand top 5 money-low end average being $7.2 million. With that being said I do think he should be paid higher than what he's making now (obviously).

The 10th highest paid Guard is Willie Colon at $5.8 million a year on average. Everyone above him anchors a playoff caliber line. We are talking NE, NYG, Saints...with the exception of the Bucs. There will always be those overpaying exceptions and the Bills should have no part of it in this case.
Reinhardt and Urbik are both averaging $1.3 million a year. The highest paid Bills lineman is Pears at around $2.5 million. The Bills can't give Levitre Top 5 money without creating a chain effect with the rest of the line (especially with Wood and Glenn). Levitre should be the highest paid Guard on the team and I think the Bills could tie him up for around $4million a year (average). But that brings up two issues:

1) Levitre is now the highest paid Bills lineman and
2) This puts him in the Top 20 range of highest paid Guards

If Levitre tests the market (expected), a desperate enough team looking to "complete" their line could easily lure him with an extra million a year and still keep Levitre out of the top 10 average salary ranking.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
im telling you this, if wood stays healthy, he will be the top c next year. year two after acl will be big...

jimmifli
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Carl Nicks is the highest paid in the league averaging around $9.5 million a year. The second highest is Logan Mankins around $8.5. I don't think Levitre is bold enough to demand top 5 money-low end average being $7.2 million. With that being said I do think he should be paid higher than what he's making now (obviously).

The 10th highest paid Guard is Willie Colon at $5.8 million a year on average. Everyone above him anchors a playoff caliber line. We are talking NE, NYG, Saints...with the exception of the Bucs. There will always be those overpaying exceptions and the Bills should have no part of it in this case.
Reinhardt and Urbik are both averaging $1.3 million a year. The highest paid Bills lineman is Pears at around $2.5 million. The Bills can't give Levitre Top 5 money without creating a chain effect with the rest of the line (especially with Wood and Glenn). Levitre should be the highest paid Guard on the team and I think the Bills could tie him up for around $4million a year (average). But that brings up two issues:

1) Levitre is now the highest paid Bills lineman and
2) This puts him in the Top 20 range of highest paid Guards

If Levitre tests the market (expected), a desperate enough team looking to "complete" their line could easily lure him with an extra million a year and still keep Levitre out of the top 10 average salary ranking.

The salary concerns for his teammates aren't really a problem. Rookie contracts are rookie contracts, you gotta pay your dues so Cordy is fine. Wood will be going through it next season, so he won't care. Frankly I really don't give a **** about Urbik, Reinhardt or Pears thinks. Those are the guys that are easily replaced. If we can get Andy for 5.8 mil that would be ****ing fantastic, likely it will take something in the high 6's maybe 7's. AND WE BETTER PAY IT.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
The gap between him and Nicks, if any at all, isn't as large as a couple of you think it is.

Levitre will be the most sought out offensive lineman in FA if he enters and I'm guessing his agent fully realizes that.

When you're the most sought/most talented guy at your position in FA you get paid. Last year Nicks got 9m per basically so why would you think that Levitre and his agent will just go, sure Buffalo give me 6m per and we'll be happy? Especially seeing the fact the contracts given out in FA escalate year after year.

kingJofNYC
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Laughable that you put Rinehart a notch below, there's a chasm between the two players, get real.

jimmifli
01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
The gap between him and Nicks, if any at all, isn't as large as a couple of you think it is.

Levitre will be the most sought out offensive lineman in FA if he enters and I'm guessing his agent fully realizes that.

When you're the most sought/most talented guy at your position in FA you get paid. Last year Nicks got 9m per basically so why would you think that Levitre and his agent will just go, sure Buffalo give me 6m per and we'll be happy? Especially seeing the fact the contracts given out in FA escalate year after year.

Wishful thinking?

You're right, he'll top Nicks money, from somebody. Especially with the new TV deal cap money coming down the pipe.

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
The sals for his teammates aren't really a problem. Rookie contracts are rookie contracts, you gotta pay yoour dues so Cordy is fine. Glenn will be going through it next season, so he won't care. Frankly I really don't give a **** about Urbik, Reinhardt or Pears thinks. Those are the guys that are easily replaced. If we can get Andy for 5.8 mil that would be ****ing fantastic, likely it will take something in the high 6's maybe 7's. AND WE BETTER PAY IT.
Totally agree about Urbik an Reinhardt. Ijust thought it important to know the full range of dynamics we are dealing with here. And you are spot on concerning Wood and Glenn, but this is the point I was trying to make:

If you give Levitre top 5 money, then Wood should be paid much more than that. It becomes a delicate balance of funds against the cap. And in my opinion, Wood is worth top 5 money where as Levitre is not. I'd rather not overpay Levitre and take the chance of losing Wood because there isn't enough funds in the lineman basket.

I think $4.8 million a year is justifiable but is it enough to beat the open market? And the Bills really shouldn't spend over that amount.

The Jokeman
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
At least we have Fool's Gold.

and just imagine how much worse our D would be without him.

Mahdi
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Totally agree about Urbik an Reinhardt. Ijust thought it important to know the full range of dynamics we are dealing with here. And you are spot on concerning Wood and Glenn, but this is the point I was trying to make:

If you give Levitre top 5 money, then Wood should be paid much more than that. It becomes a delicate balance of funds against the cap. And in my opinion, Wood is worth top 5 money where as Levitre is not. I'd rather not overpay Levitre and take the chance of losing Wood because there isn't enough funds in the lineman basket.

I think $4.8 million a year is justifiable but is it enough to beat the open market? And the Bills really shouldn't spend over that amount.

Bills should and probably will just transition tag Levitre and see what the market rate is for him. That way we guarantee we get something back for him if we choose not to match.

DBrown77
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Apparently the Bills will need to throw in a couple bras and shirts for his g/f to seal the deal.

Raptor
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm hoping to God this team isnt dumb enough to drop 40 to 50 million on a OG.

Its the easiest position to replace on a football team

GingerP
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Bills should and probably will just transition tag Levitre and see what the market rate is for him. That way we guarantee we get something back for him if we choose not to match.

The transition tag doesn't come with compensation. It just gives the team the right to match any offer sheet he signs. Basically, what the transition tag does is allow some other team to negotiate the terms of a contract and sign him to an offer sheet. The old team can then match the terms or let him go for nothing. If he does not receive an offer sheet by a week before the draft, he is bound by the 1-year tender that goes with the transition tag.

The transition tag for OL is expected to be about $8.56M. The franchise tag is about $9.66.

GingerP
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm hoping to God this team isnt dumb enough to drop 40 to 50 million on a OG.

Its the easiest position to replace on a football team

This isn't true, good OG are worth a lot today, which is why they have been getting more money in recent years. This is especially true in spread systems, which are susceptible to middle pressure and require OL to get to the second level and make blocks. An offense like Chip Kelly's will require athletic OG (and OL in general).

One of the questions I have about Kelly's offense in the NFL is whether he can find the OL to make it work. Oregon has had smaller, more athletic OL. That works in college, but in the NFL those guys tend to get over-powered by the size and power of DL.

Raptor
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
This isn't true, good OG are worth a lot today, which is why they have been getting more money in recent years. This is especially true in spread systems, which are susceptible to middle pressure and require OL to get to the second level and make blocks. An offense like Chip Kelly's will require athletic OG (and OL in general).

One of the questions I have about Kelly's offense in the NFL is whether he can find the OL to make it work. Oregon has had smaller, more athletic OL. That works in college, but in the NFL those guys tend to get over-powered by the size and power of DL.

Just because they get paid it doesnt mean they are worth it. You can find quality OG's in every draft in the middle rounds or when the FA dust settles.

Smart teams dont overpay for easy to replace positions like OG's

JoeMama
01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Just because they get paid it doesnt mean they are worth it. You can find quality OG's in every draft in the middle rounds or when the FA dust settles.

You may have noticed we're not a smart team.

Finding good offensive linemen in the draft has been the bane of our existence since the mid 90s.

We're one of the teams that NEEDS to pay for the talent we already have because God only knows when we'll draft another one as good as Levitre.

GingerP
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Not all of them are easy to replace. Logan Mankins, Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks were paid a lot of money because they are foundation players. They set the tone for their teams, especially in the run game. Look at the Steeler teams when they were good a few years ago, you will find Alan Faneca keying their run game. The reason Minnesota when out and paid a ton of money for Steve Hutchinson is because they could build their OL around him. Josh Sitton is the key player on the Packers OL. Chris Snee is the key to the Giants OL. San Diego's line largely went to crap the the last couple of years after Kris Dielman was forced to retire because of injury.

All those guys were paid big money. Does that mean those weren't "smart teams"? They were smart, because they realized those players were important and stepped up and paid them accordingly. Losing Levitre would make the Bills a lot worse on the OL. They have the money, they should pay him. Seattle wasn't the same after losing Hutchinson.