PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find it strange that all of these HC interviews are being held in Arizona?

jpdex12
01-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Could it be to avoid the media here in Buffalo going nuts with speculation anymore than they already are?

Could it be plainly because some of these candidates are already down there?

We've heard that Lovie is flying down there to meet with them and Marrone did. Horton and Whisenhunt were already there. I wonder how many other candidates did that we haven't even heard of yet...

Novacane
01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
No. If I could spend a week out in AZ right now I'd do it too!

ServoBillieves
01-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Where's Pat Moran when you need him?!

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
I dont think it has anything to do with media scrutiny. I think it has all to do with the fact that a good portion of our candidates happen to be in the same place at the same time.. and maybe they are just giving Fitz a ride home

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
They need to have Fitz approve any HC they may hire.

mjt328
01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Just speculation, putting all the reports together.

I think Ken Whisenhunt (because of Whaley) has always been among their prime targets. Ray Horton has been a popular candidate for years. Chip Kelly is the hottest name coming out of college.
They all just happened to be in Arizona this week - Whisenhunt and Horton because of their employment with the Cardinals and Kelly because of the Fiesta Bowl.

Possibly the reason Smith is flying TO THEM is because the interest is mostly on his part, and not the Bills.

Crisis
01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Just speculation, putting all the reports together.

I think Ken Whisenhunt (because of Whaley) has always been among their prime targets. Ray Horton has been a popular candidate for years. Chip Kelly is the hottest name coming out of college.
They all just happened to be in Arizona this week - Whisenhunt and Horton because of their employment with the Cardinals and Kelly because of the Fiesta Bowl.

Possibly the reason Smith is flying TO THEM is because the interest is mostly on his part, and not the Bills.

Is Lovie interviewing for the Cardinals job? Going to Arizona is probably a two birds with one stone type deal for him. Just purely coincidence since like you mentioned everyone happens to be in Arizona and the Cardinals also have a coaching vacancy.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
If they came out Arizona with both Whisenhunt and Lovie, it may satisfy all the Bills fans. I don't know which order though. So far both of them are linked to the Bills and nobody else. Theoretically Whisenhunt is ideal for Chicago but the Bears show no interest so far.

jpdex12
01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I just don't remember then all congregating in one spot to conduct HC interviews. Seems like in the past they have traveled to wherever the candidate was or flew them to Buffalo to check our the facilities, etc. If they were going to meet anywhere I would have suspected Miami since the bowl championship game is there...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2013, 08:46 AM
maybe russ is interviewing kelly at area 51 too

BLeonard
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Not really.

While it's not the "norm," or at least what was considered the "norm" in past years, the fact that Whisenhunt, Horton and Kelly were already there, it makes more sense to just go there and knock out all of them in the same trip, as opposed to racking up miles flying there, flying back, flying back again, etc. If they wanna tour the facilities, etc, I'm sure that can be arranged and would likley be something that is done after the first round of interviews, anyway.

I don't think it has anything to do with a potential "media circus," either. Now, with twitter and information coming in damn near in "real-time," they coud do the interviews in Siberia and someone's gonna tweet about it or get a "scoop."

Another reason for all of them meeting in one central spot could be (and I say COULD be) to see if there is a chance of a couple of them working together... An example would be Lovie as HC, with Whisenhunt as his OC... Not saying it is the reason, but it's possible, especially if those guys don't have any other suitors.

-Bill

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't find it strange at all.

DynaPaul
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Who wants to hold an interview here in THIS weather?

jpdex12
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Who wants to hold an interview here in THIS weather?

Yukon Cornelius?

HAMMER
01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Logistics, pretty simple.

Michael82
01-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Dont forget...they need to be near Denver for their scheduled interview with Mike McCoy. Why fly back home now when you gotta come back out that way for the Denver interview on Saturday...?

Wolffman
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
It's snowy and gross in Buffalo. Why scare candidates away before even talking to them.

lmcshadow
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Good move by Russ...no one wants to see the snow right now. Not before signing 3yrs of his life away.