PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bills need to hire Chip Kelly

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Today is at least the start of a day that is crucial for the future of this franchise and their existence in Buffalo.

Hiring Chip Kelly would be a great, fantastic and possibly franchise saving move for this team and Russ Brandon. And I believe that this is the goal of the team.

Quite simply, the hiring of Kelly would signal that this team and in particular Russ Brandon are serious about changing the culture and the ways of this franchise. It would prove that this new administration is willing to not stay in the "classic" way of thinking that has held back this team for years. Kelly is an innovative coach who is not bound by the traditional thinking of the other coaches on the market like Wisenhunt, Smith, Horton, McCoy, etc.

But it really goes deeper than that. Kelly is the hottest and most desired coaching prospect on the market this year. He will, without a doubt, get a larger contract with a greater commitment than any other coach that will be hired this offseason. By making the commitment to a man like Kelly the Bills can show the rest of the NFL - players, coaches, administrators, etc that they are serious about attempting to build a winning franchise and are willing to take a risk to succeed and are willing to do something that this team is not known for - spending money on somebody that is not a player to make this team successful. Furthermore, it will energize a fanbase and possibly the corporate fanbase to support this team and possibly even help remove the stigma from the team of being a team that never succeeds at anything they attempt to do.

The Bills have a 7 year or less window to make this franchise viable as a NFL team again or else they are in a position to be very possibly leaving this area. Let's not fool ourselves - the area does not really have a corporate base to easily support a NFL team, especially one that is going to be looking at building a new stadium. The hiring of somebody like Kelly can change all of that by making the team successful and make it so new ownership has a stronger reason to stay in the Buffalo area.

Will he succeed? I don't know that and neither does anybody else. What I do know is that none of know is if any of the other candidates will succeed. Is somebody like Lovie Smith (a coach I like and respect and is probably my #2 choice and was my #1 choice when the Bills hired Mularkey) a safer choice? Probably. Smith can probably get this team to win 9 or 10 games and into the playoffs just based on is acumen on defense. Kelly is likely a boom or bust candidate. But what I do know is that I would rather see this team fail with Kelly than fail with any of the other coaches that are obtained through the same, old tired ways.

For the fist time since the K-Gun offense, I want to hear about the Bills being innovative. I want to hear about the Bills going out on limb. 13 years in a row without the playoffs and really without even a sniff of the playoffs has me reay to watch this team take the risk. Do not take the same old route and go down the same road. Try something new. If it fails, you can at least have the respect and perception that you did something to try and reverse the fortunes of the franchise. Hiring anybody else will be seen as staying in the same pattern that this team has been in for way too long.

The good news is that based on the Brandon new conference I really think that this is the goal of this team. The entire tone and message of the message seemed to me to be something being sent to Kelly. The talk of being innovative and aggressive. The use of analytics. These are all things that should appeal to a guy like Kelly. Having a press conference to announce the change from Ralph Wilson to Russ Brandon was to be expected. The message delivered was not. Say what you will about Brandon, but he is not a dumb man. There is a reason that he delivered that message in such a strong way.

Last year you started that change with the signing of Mario Williams to an insanely huge deal. Take the next step and do the same with Chip Kelly.

The very future of this franchise in Buffalo might depend on it.

Night Train
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
..but..but..but..Lovie is out there.

AGREED ! Offer Him 40 Mil and Kate Upton.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Offer Him 40 Mil and Kate Upton.

can't , Im not ready to let her go but I'm in Arizona and Russ called me for a meeting.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
While I don't disagree Lecter let's play the other side of things...

If Kelly bombs, it'll be a big time bomb, like Spurrier in Washington. If that is to occur instead of moving forward the franchise we'll be relevant but in a "look at them, that's why the Bills suck, they have no idea what in the hell they're doing" type of way. We'll be pointed to everywhere and by everyone as a franchise you don't want to emulate at all. Yes, things are bad now but if Kelly lays a Spurrier sized egg they'll be magnified further.

It could make a move even easier when the team is sold.

Night Train
01-04-2013, 09:29 AM
It's difficult for me to just lump Kelly in with other college coaches, since he's running an offense the NFL has never seen.

Saban, Spurrier and others came in with large ego's but weren't doing anything very different from the norm.

This offense has so many variations and having watched this guy the last few years, he can think fast on his feet and adjust. No more staring at the clock with that blank look of confusion.

Sure it may fail. You could say that about anything. It would be a blast to watch speed guys like Spiller in this offense. Bring it on. The same old boring crap isn't working.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
It's difficult for me to just lump Kelly in with other college coaches, since he's running an offense the NFL has never seen.

Saban, Spurrier and others came in with large ego's but weren't doing anything very different from the norm.

This offense has so many variations and having watched this guy the last few years, he can think fast on his feet and adjust. No more staring at the clock with that blank look of confusion.

Sure it may fail. You could say that about anything. It would be a blast to watch speed guys like Spiller in this offense. Bring it on. The same old boring crap isn't working.

Spurrier did similar things, which is why I used him as an example and not Saban or Butch Davis as examples.

Spurrier's offenses were based on up tempo speed guys and look at what good that was in the NFL.

I'd love for Chip Kelly and his style to work at this level because some of the things in the game are old antiquated ideas and someone needs to break the old boys mentality but there's the specter that if he flames out it's gonna be epic proportions flame out.

sukie
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Needless to say you would need the personel to carry out that type of offense. The WRs on this team are extremely sub par and to say THAT is a compliment to them all.

Historian
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I've heard all of Brandon's sabre rattling in the past.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 09:37 AM

If Kelly bombs, it'll be a big time bomb, like Spurrier in Washington. If that is to occur instead of moving forward the franchise we'll be relevant but in a "look at them, that's why the Bills suck, they have no idea what in the hell they're doing" type of way. We'll be pointed to everywhere and by everyone as a franchise you don't want to emulate at all. Yes, things are bad now but if Kelly lays a Spurrier sized egg they'll be magnified further.

I also agree to a certain degree. The bills can tell the entire league they are a serious organization and are willing to do what it takes by going the Redskins route buying players and coaches. People need to remember Spurrier . That didn't turn out well for the redskins but the redskins organization has turned out to be an organization who will attract play for pay players/coaches.

WINNING is the only way to prove that the bills are a good organization. See Packers and Steelers. Small markets but very enticing organizations for anyone to work for.

Bills need to get it right by making sure they win not just by hiring a BIG NAME coach. Saban was another BIG name back then and after he failed , Miami isn't exactly the best place coaches want to go to. They've been turned down last year.

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM

You mean the way we're looked at today?

We don't have any idea what we're doing, as evidenced by our playoff drought. I'm willing to try something new, especially from someone who's as innovative as Chip Kelly.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Kelly would signal a positive change.
Hes not coming here.

DesertFox24
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Look bills could offer the moon Kelly has to want to come here.

Also I want to know what staff he has in mind and what tweaks he will make to his offense for the NFL. As he stated in one of his coaching clinics his offense would be tweaked for the NFL.

Secondly I really believe that the QB is who will make this regime look good or not.

Look at all those genius OCs and HCs what is one thing they have in common an elite QB.

Heck everyone though Marvin Lewis was terrible till he drafted a decent QB.

Lets also not forget that Wis and Lovie were the big hot names back when they were hired. Wis did well with Kurt even thought his defenses were terrible so they drafted def heavy and now he has a respectable defense but no OL or QB.

Lovie was 8-3 before Cutler got hurt last year and lost 5 straight.

We need a QB that can win more than the sexy hire.

Granted I am all for giving Kelly a chance and am worried about it blowing up but at least it shows this new regime is serious about change and that they have total control.

Summary hiring Kelly is great for fan moral in the present. Hiring Wis or Lovie will look like the same ole same old.

However, none of that will mean a darn thing till we get a QB and a def that can stop the run.

The King
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I'll support Kelly if hired, but he scares the crap out of me.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Sorry, I've heard all of Brandon's sabre rattling in the past.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Some examples please and when did have the power he does now?

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 09:56 AM
So, according to the original post, you basically said you would put the future of the franchise into the hands of a college coach (that is the latest and greatest sensation) but has zero experience in the NFL, rather than in the hands of a proven NFL coach that is more likely to be successful. I'm not sure I understand this philosophy?

If the future of this franchise is truly that critical, why wouldn't you instead invest your time and money into the best coach on the market with a resume a mile long?

Don't get me wrong, I too like what I've seen with Kelly, but he comes with more question marks than concrete sure-footed answers.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

same here. your thread about college coaches without NFL experience said a lot.

Chip is a sexy hire that doesn't guarantee winning . I'd rather win

The King
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM

That thread wasn''t meant to be concrete, I just wanted to create dialog but basically with the exception of about 3 guys over 25+ years, it hasn't worked. I love Kellys W/L record I like that he has creative mind, but I am scared about his ability to build a staff, and manage a pro team.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
You mean the way we're looked at today?

We don't have any idea what we're doing, as evidenced by our playoff drought. I'm willing to try something new, especially from someone who's as innovative as Chip Kelly.

Magnify how we're viewed today by at least 10.

Right now we're failing using the old boy method that everyone else uses. We've hired guys that are liked and respected in basically the "brotherhood." Chip Kelly represents counter culture to what the NFL thinks and does. If Chip were to flame out like Spurrier we'd be the talk of the league on why the old boy method works and why we were so ignorant to think we could slap all of that tradition, values and how things work in the face.

sukie
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
So, according to the original post, you basically said you would put the future of the franchise into the hands of a college coach (that is the latest and greatest sensation) but has zero experience in the NFL, rather than in the hands of a proven NFL coach that is more likely to be successful. I'm not sure I understand this philosophy?

If the future of this franchise is truly that critical, why wouldn't you instead invest your time and money into the best coach on the market with a resume a mile long?

Don't get me wrong, I too like what I've seen with Kelly, but he comes with more question marks than concrete sure-footed answers.

Why assume a retread has a better chance for sucess? I can't fathom anyone arguing that the QB position is critical for ANY HC success.

So Let's say the Nix plan of getting a QB is true and actually happens. Why not a guy that thinks out of the box and does something different?

Let's see... Marv Levy prior to having a Jim Kelly and a scheme that was "out of the box" (K-gun) was meh as a HC. Great color guy during preseason games but meh otherwise.

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Nice post, but I was always very nervous about hiring a college coach, especially one with absolutely no pro experience. There are only a few coaches you can point to that fit that mold. Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Bud Wilkinson, Dan Devine, Lou Holtz (I won't even consider Barry Switzer) Only Johnson was successful and he wasn't particularly innovative.

It would be an interesting hire, but there are a few other teams interested.

In the New NFL, it's hard to say if he will work or not.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM

I don't necessarily agree with this Tom.

I think most people around the league would think it is a great hire for the Bills. If it doesn't work out I can't see anyone acting like they made a huge mistake. I think everyone would know the Bills took a calculated risk.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Who is the former head coach that you speak of that is available and looking for work?

If somebody like Gruden or Cowher (maybe - he has been away for a number of years now) were looking for work, I would be fine with that hire.

But they are not.

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Why assume a retread has a better chance for sucess? I can't fathom anyone arguing that the QB position is critical for ANY HC success.

So Let's say the Nix plan of getting a QB is true and actually happens. Why not a guy that thinks out of the box and does something different?

Let's see... Marv Levy prior to having a Jim Kelly and a scheme that was "out of the box" (K-gun) was meh as a HC. Great color guy during preseason games but meh otherwise.

Why assume current NFL coaches with proven track records aren't capable of thinking outside the box?

And let's not get crazy, Marv was alot of things, but he wasn't the creator of the K-Gun. He wasn't even responsible for drafting Kelly. He was a special team coach that had a cunning knack for managing people. No special whiz bang offense up his sleeve.

sukie
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Nice post, but I was always very nervous about hiring a college coach, especially one with absolutely no pro experience. There are only a few coaches you can point to that fit that mold. Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Bud Wilkinson, Dan Devine (I won't even consider Barry Switzer) Only Johnson was successful and he wasn't particularly innovative.

It would be an interesting hire, but there are a few other teams interested.

In the New NFL, it's hard to say if he will work or not.

Jimmy had 842 first round picks from the Walker deal ... (cough) AIKMAN

X-Era
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Today is at least the start of a day that is crucial for the future of this franchise and their existence in Buffalo.

Hiring Chip Kelly would be a great, fantastic and possibly franchise saving move for this team and Russ Brandon. And I believe that this is the goal of the team.

Quite simply, the hiring of Kelly would signal that this team and in particular Russ Brandon are serious about changing the culture and the ways of this franchise. It would prove that this new administration is willing to not stay in the "classic" way of thinking that has held back this team for years. Kelly is an innovative coach who is not bound by the traditional thinking of the other coaches on the market like Wisenhunt, Smith, Horton, McCoy, etc.

But it really goes deeper than that. Kelly is the hottest and most desired coaching prospect on the market this year. He will, without a doubt, get a larger contract with a greater commitment than any other coach that will be hired this offseason. By making the commitment to a man like Kelly the Bills can show the rest of the NFL - players, coaches, administrators, etc that they are serious about attempting to build a winning franchise and are willing to take a risk to succeed and are willing to do something that this team is not known for - spending money on somebody that is not a player to make this team successful. Furthermore, it will energize a fanbase and possibly the corporate fanbase to support this team and possibly even help remove the stigma from the team of being a team that never succeeds at anything they attempt to do.

The Bills have a 7 year or less window to make this franchise viable as a NFL team again or else they are in a position to be very possibly leaving this area. Let's not fool ourselves - the area does not really have a corporate base to easily support a NFL team, especially one that is going to be looking at building a new stadium. The hiring of somebody like Kelly can change all of that by making the team successful and make it so new ownership has a stronger reason to stay in the Buffalo area.

Will he succeed? I don't know that and neither does anybody else. What I do know is that none of know is if any of the other candidates will succeed. Is somebody like Lovie Smith (a coach I like and respect and is probably my #2 choice and was my #1 choice when the Bills hired Mularkey) a safer choice? Probably. Smith can probably get this team to win 9 or 10 games and into the playoffs just based on is acumen on defense. Kelly is likely a boom or bust candidate. But what I do know is that I would rather see this team fail with Kelly than fail with any of the other coaches that are obtained through the same, old tired ways.

For the fist time since the K-Gun offense, I want to hear about the Bills being innovative. I want to hear about the Bills going out on limb. 13 years in a row without the playoffs and really without even a sniff of the playoffs has me reay to watch this team take the risk. Do not take the same old route and go down the same road. Try something new. If it fails, you can at least have the respect and perception that you did something to try and reverse the fortunes of the franchise. Hiring anybody else will be seen as staying in the same pattern that this team has been in for way too long.

The good news is that based on the Brandon new conference I really think that this is the goal of this team. The entire tone and message of the message seemed to me to be something being sent to Kelly. The talk of being innovative and aggressive. The use of analytics. These are all things that should appeal to a guy like Kelly. Having a press conference to announce the change from Ralph Wilson to Russ Brandon was to be expected. The message delivered was not. Say what you will about Brandon, but he is not a dumb man. There is a reason that he delivered that message in such a strong way.

Last year you started that change with the signing of Mario Williams to an insanely huge deal. Take the next step and do the same with Chip Kelly.

The very future of this franchise in Buffalo might depend on it.I totally 100% agree with this post.

Overpay? Probably
Get what you paid for? Probably not
Will it even work? Unsure

But just like Mario Williams, a hiring like this makes us relevant and changes the way we are viewed. And that is priceless.

Hiring the top candidate is exactly the type fo move that shows the world we are serious, real, and relevant once again.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't necessarily agree with this Tom.

I think most people around the league would think it is a great hire for the Bills. If it doesn't work out I can't see anyone acting like they made a huge mistake. I think everyone would know the Bills took a calculated risk.

I think hiring him would be HUGE. It would be a big splash and it would make us more relevant than we've been in 15 years.

It scares the crap out of me though if what he does doesn't work on Sundays because everyone should know how he and the Bills organization will be blasted.

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Who is the former head coach you speak of that is available and looking for work?

If somebody like Gruden or Cowher (maybe - he has been away for a number of years now) were looking for work, I would be fine with that hire.

But they are not.

I'm not refering to either of those guys. I'm simply reiterating from the original post. And in the original post I believe Lovie Smith was the coach Kelly should be hired over.

GingerP
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
But just like Mario Williams, a hiring like this makes us relevant and changes the way we are viewed. And that is priceless.

Mario Williams made them relevant? I thought relevant was different.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I have major reservation w Kelly.

He could have some success at the beginning but NFL teams, with talent level much more even than in the college level, will figure out ways to stop it. And then it is the matter of managing people which is a world difference between college kids vs guys making millions with no restriction for outside influence.

Overall, quality wins in NFL. I don't know Kelly is someone reay on schemes or has more quality, like an keen eye for assistent caoches and people managing ability.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
And should. It's big time risky and bold.

And even if he simply keeps the time just below the playoffs but we continue to add to the roster and improve the overall talent, we have succeeded.

Succeeded through bringing us back from irrelevancy. The intangible improvement to what this team looks like ot everyone else, to the fans, to the team itself, to the media, to possible future hires, all of it... makes hiring him worth it. Whether he fails or not.

Bill Cody
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
things I'd love about the move:

1) As important as winning is, and it's clearly the most important thing, this move would be the first time since we traded for Drew Bledsoe that we could seriously have any hope around here. A man dying of thirst has to see the oasis before he can find the water.

2) The other thing it would do beyond bringing hope is it would not be boring. Our last 2 coaches are probably as classy a couple guys as you could find but they were also 2 of the most boring guys you could ask for, particularly Jauron. Kill me if you must but don't bore me. Chip Kelly might go down in flames but he won't bore me. That's worth something to me, quite a bit actually.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
The Bills won't spend money- Wrong
Big name players won't come here- Wrong

That makes us relevant. Relevant to a discussion on any player available in free agency regardless of asking price.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
And should. It's big time risky and bold.

And even if he simply keeps the time just below the playoffs but we continue to add to the roster and improve the overall talent, we have succeeded.

Succeeded through bringing us back from irrelevancy. The intangible improvement to what this team looks like ot everyone else, to the fans, to the team itself, to the media, to possible future hires, all of it... makes hiring him worth it. Whether he fails or not.

See, I think you're wrong here.

If Kelly doesn't get the team to the playoffs, he will be deemed an utter failure. And the media, fans, rest of the old boy network will sit and go this is why you don't buck the system. I can picture in my head guys like Merril Hoge, Ron Jaworski, Adam Schefter, Bill Polian, Terry Bradshaw sitting there saying "How could the Bills organization been so ignorant to waste X years with a guy who doesn't know what even works in the NFL?" and on and on.

coastal
01-04-2013, 10:27 AM
The whole "signing Mario makes us relevant" meme is so maddeningly DUMB!

The only thing that makes us relevant is winning football games!!!!

Mario didn't help us do that! He did hurt his wrist though... And that was talked about?!

Bill Cody
things I'd be concerned about the move:

1) The NFL ain't college, you can't recruit, talent is much better, the other coaches are all smart. But smart is smart. If the guy has the goods it will come out eventually. The question is, how long will it take for him to make the transition? No way to tell

2) How well he does in the short run will be directly related to 2 things- 1) finding a QB, without that he's toast and 2) assembling a great staff of guys with NFL experience

Despite those concerns (and they are big ones) I have imagined how I'd feel if we took the plunge and made kelly the highest paid coach in the league. Guess what? It feels pretty good to me. I'm in.

Dr. Lecter
I'm not refering to either of those guys. I'm simply reiterating from the original post. And in the original post I believe Lovie Smith was the coach Kelly should be hired over.

I don't have an issue with Smith, but he has had ten years. One Super Bowl appearance - that is great. No playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years. And that is with a team with a reputation that should be able to attract players. He also has a history of horrible offenses.

Would he bring a level of success to this team? Probably.

But his ceiling is lower than Kelly. At this point of the franchise it is time to go for it.

pmoon6

Let's see... Marv Levy prior to having a Jim Kelly and a scheme that was "out of the box" (K-gun) was meh as a HC. Great color guy during preseason games but meh otherwise.Mmm. Let's look at who has won the Super Bowl the Last 12 years

Brian Billick - Long time NFL assistant

John Gruden - retread

Bill Belichick - retread

Tom Coughlin - retread

Bill Cowher - Long time NFL assistant

Tony Dungy - retread

Mike Tomlin - NFL assistant and inheritor of Cowher's team

Mike McCarthy - some college, mostly NFL assistant

Sean Payton - same as above.

X-Era
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
See, I think you're wrong here.

If Kelly doesn't get the team to the playoffs, he will be deemed an utter failure. And the media, fans, rest of the old boy network will sit and go this is why you don't buck the system. I can picture in my head guys like Merril Hoge, Ron Jaworski, Adam Schefter, Bill Polian, Terry Bradshaw sitting there saying "How could the Bills organization been so ignorant to waste X years with a guy who doesn't know what even works in the NFL?" and on and on.Of course their would be backlash if he fails. It's boom or bust. Yes, the backlash will be worse if he fails.

But were talking about the media, in this case, talking about us at all.

We have been so irrelevant that we didn't garner any attention. And that is an intangible that makes a difference when shopping for free agents, hiring coaches, or even selling tickets. Relevancy matters.

DBrown77
01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Chip Kelly may become the highest paid coach in the NFL in the next couple days with zero experience. That scares me.

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Jimmy had 842 first round picks from the Walker deal ... (cough) AIKMANThe Cowboys already had the Number 1 pick and Tom Landry said they would take Aikman before he was fired. Irvin was already drafted by Landry. Aikman was the consensus NO 1 pick.

Look, I never liked Johnson, but you have to give him that he's a great talent evaluator. He got guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds that were contributors. He made deals for players he knew he could work with. Nobody wanted Charles Haley because he was a nutcase, Jimmy used him to perfection.

It also took guts to trade Hershall Walker. He was one of the only players the Cowboys had. Most thought Johnson was nuts, at the time, and thought he handed the Vikings the Super Bowl because Walker was the missing piece.

sukie
01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Mmm. Let's look at who has won the Super Bowl the Last 12 years

John Gruden - retread

Bill Belichick - retread

Tom Coughlin - retread

Tony Dungy - retread

DEFENSE
DEFENSE
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB

I added extra QB's for the future

RedEyE
01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't have an issue with Smith, but he has had ten yeacoulne Super Bowl appearance - that is great. No playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years. And that is with a team with a reputation that should be able to attract players. He also has a history of horrible offenses.

Would he bring a level of success to this team? Probably.

But his ceiling is lower than Kelly. At this point of the franchise it is time to go for it.
I guess I'm just the conservative old coot here. I just think Smith is the best calculated choice. Now if we are comparing Kelly to McCoy or Whisenhunt or Haslett, then I'm all for the radical move with Kelly.

Typ0
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
You make Kelly sound like a huge marketing move. So everyone will get all excited but what is the real probability of his success?

I also don't see the relationship between the team being good and/or bad and it's leaving town. Moving the team is a money grab. If anything a better squad is more attractive not less. Fans are so self centered!

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
DEFENSE
DEFENSE
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB
QB

I added extra QB's for the futureTotally agree with this, but you're wrong about NE. Defense won the first SB and then Brady came into his own in succeeding years.

Today's NFL is almost exclusively predicated on the QB. You can hardly hit him without getting flagged and you can't play backfield defense because you can't touch the receiver and then can't make him pay after he catches it.

I'm looking for the first female QB in the next few years. It's just a natural progression.

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I guess I'm just the conservative old coot here. I just think Smith is the best calculated choice. Now if we are comparing Kelly to McCoy or Whisenhunt or Haslett, then I'm all for the radical move with Kelly.Agree here, except with Haslett. I think he would put a fire in some of our defensive players bellies.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Chip Kelly may become the highest paid coach in the NFL in the next couple days with zero experience. That scares me.

Its not my money.

Typ0
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Totally agree with this, but you're wrong about NE. Defense won the first SB and then Brady came into his own in succeeding years.

Today's NFL is almost exclusively predicated on the QB. You can hardly hit him without getting flagged and you can't play backfield defense because you can't touch the receiver and then can't make him pay after he catches it.

I'm looking for the first female QB in the next few years. It's just a natural progression.

She probably will be a Bill too!

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
She probably will be a Bill too!I already heard that Jim Kelly's daughter is working diligently, has great arm strength and is being coached up by her Dad.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
You make Kelly sound like a huge marketing move. So everyone will get all excited but what is the real probability of his success?

I also don't see the relationship between the team being good and/or bad and it's leaving town. Moving the team is a money grab. If anything a better squad is more attractive not less. Fans are so self centered!

Of course it helps them stay, once a new stadium is thrown in the mix.

It is more than a marketing move. It is also a move to show that the Bills are trying to move forward in the NFL and are not stuck in the ways of the past. It is not just about marketing the team to sell tickets or merchandise. It is also a move that can show NFL talent that the management of this team is changing its approach

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Of course it helps them stay, once a new stadium is thrown in the mix.

It is more than a marketing move. It is also a move to show that the Bills are trying to move forward in the NFL and are not stuck in the ways of the past. It is not just about marketing the team to sell tickets or merchandise. It is also a move that can show NFL talent that the management of this team is changing its approachSince I'm an old fart and my time on Earth is shorter than most here, I'm looking for sooner rather than later. I don't really want an experiment, that by all evidence is destined to fail.

Like I said, it would be an interesting move, but pure college coaches almost never succeed in the pros.

OLDSRIP
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Like I said, it would be an interesting move, but pure college coaches almost never succeed in the pros.[/QUOTE]

What scares me about Kelly is that the NFL has a way of catching up to systems.
His system depends on speed it seems. In the NFL everyone is fast.
But Kelly has a reputation of beating able to adjust better than most. I agree it a crapshoot.
might be fun to watch though.

GingerP
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Mmm. Let's look at who has won the Super Bowl the Last 12 years

John Gruden - retread

Bill Belichick - retread

Tom Coughlin - retread

Tony Dungy - retread

Hell, look at this year's playoffs. Belichick, Fox, Shanahan and Carroll are all re-treads. Most of the rest are veteran coaches with prior experience in the playoffs.

pmoon6
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Hell, look at this year's playoffs. Belichick, Fox, Shanahan and Carroll are all re-treads. Most of the rest are veteran coaches with prior experience in the playoffs.You could argue Jim Harbaugh, but he has the benefit of playing in the NFL for a few different coaches.

jimmifli
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM

http://i.imgur.com/xewDA.png

DBrown77
01-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Tim Graham reporting the Chip Kelly interview is basically a token gesture by both parties.
Basically a waste of time.

The Jokeman
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Chip is a sexy hire that doesn't guarantee winning . I'd rather win

If a coach could guarantee winning then I'd hire that guy but unfortunately it's easier said then that.

The Jokeman
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Tim Graham reporting the Chip Kelly interview is basically a token gesture by both parties.
Basically a waste of time.

This post offends me.

Signed,
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120402010424/southpark/images/f/f6/Token1603.png

The Toe Show
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTiEXMUVxyg

I love all the debate, but there really isn't any way to know what's going on, or what's going to happen.

We could hire Lombardi, Walsh, Jauron, Singletary, Cowher, Kelly but we won't know until 2 years from now if we did the right thing.

I don't understand the point of reacting to the hire, aside from how the new FO focus handles the decision and how the organization appears to the NFL world. So far, I like the high profile approach. We're going for it. I just don't want us to get burned.

DuckLover
01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
As an Oregon fan, I'm looking forward to following Kelly's exploits wherever he ends up (assuming that's an NFL team). I'll become a Bills fan the minute he's hired in Buffalo. Here's a local Oregon site that does a lot of interesting analysis of Kelly and the "blur" offense Oregon's been running. http://tinyurl.com/bfuoqbu

It's legitimate to ask how much of this offense can be imported to the NFL, but personnel to run it is a critical component. Some personnel control is going to figure in Kelly's decision of where and whether to jump.

justasportsfan
01-04-2013, 01:24 PM
If a coach could guarantee winning then I'd hire that guy but unfortunately it's easier said then that.

what have the statistics shown that coaches on the 2nd go are more successful than college coaches with no NFL experience ? The case for Whisenhunt and Lovie is you have BB, Levy, Dungy , etc. In Kelly's case I can only think of Jimmy Johnson.

There are failures as well for each side.

My point is that if the bills don't hire Kelly it doesn't mean that they aren't doing their best to hire the right guy.

stevesy
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM

So what? In the time since the Skins crashed and burned with Spurrier, they've made the playoffs 3 TIMES.

The Bills have made it exactly zero.

I'll take our chances at taking a chance to turn this team around. It's better than the status quo.