• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

The Analytics of Fools Gold v Jabaal Sheard

Prior to this week... I had no idea what moneyball was outside of some Brad Pitt movie I never watched, however my general impression is its a means of targeting certain cost effective, yet productive players via the use of statistical analysis. The practice allows franchises on stricter budgets to compete with the big spenders.

As this offseason proved... Ralph isn't cheap so moneyball isn't really needed by us, because we are one of the big spenders. On the other hand... lets look of some analytics of Mario Williams in comparison to Jabaal Sheard, a player I targeted in the second round... the year we selected Aaron Williams.

The analysis conducted takes a look at two on field metrics (tackles and sacks) in relation to cost (this years salary + amortized sign-on bonus for this year).

Mario Williams - $5,900,000 (salary) + $3,166,666 (1 year worth of sign-on bonus) = $9,066,666
    46 tackles = $197,101/tackle
    10.5 sacks = $863,492/sack

Jabaal Sheard - $550,000 (salary) + $550,000 (1 year of sign-on bonus) = $1,100,000
    54 tackles = $20,370/tackle
    7 sacks = $157,142/sack

Welcome to the question portion of our program...

1.) based on the above metrics, which player has a greater on-field return on investment?
    2.) do you think Mario's teammates are intrinsically aware of this dynamic and as such, there is some negative impact on the dynamics of the group or team?
    3.) are these the kinds of analytics that Russ Brandon's new department are going to be conducting?
    4.) does this analysis validate my "Fool's Gold" point?
    5.) who wants to shampoo my crotch first?
    6.) is Russ Brandon a glorified snake oil salesman?
    Last edited by coastal; 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM.
  • Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: The Analytics of Fools Gold v Jabaal Sheard

You spend a lot of time making terrible posts. Your life must be absolutely miserable.

Comment

• Raptor
      • Jan 2009

Yea but you also wanted to draft a OG in the first round(a top 10 pick none the less) who looked terrible till his season ending injury and who would have cost us what looks like a shut down CB.

Care to analyze that?

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
        Yea but you also wanted to draft a OG in the first round(a top 10 pick none the less) who looked terrible till his season ending injury and who would have cost us what looks like a shut down CB.

Care to analyze that?
        Pittsburgh... The place where offensive linemen are grown... Said a rookie was struggling?

shocking.

but to answer your question.... I'll analyze it after Levitre walks.

now address the thread topic plz.

thank u.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

Take alot of time thinking of Mario huh LOL. I think you have a little boy crush on him. You always have homo thoughts and comments and cant keep your thoughts off of him. lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Take alot of time thinking of Mario huh LOL. I think you have a little boy crush on him. You always have homo thoughts and comments and cant keep your thoughts off of him. lmao

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
            Take alot of time thinking of Mario huh LOL. I think you have a little boy crush on him. You always have homo thoughts and comments and cant keep your thoughts off of him. lmao.
            Does this mean you won't answer any of the questions either?

pitiful.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Mario Williams was/is a proven commodity, your boy was not. When you buy a free agent, you're going off of proven performance at this level. When you draft a player, you're going off of potential. Teams have to make their call as to which way they want to go.

The fact that you have become single minded on this to the point where you can so narrowly look at the issue shows that it has less to do with making sense than it does with being right. You might as well just posted I hate Mario Williams and moved on with your life.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                Mario Williams was/is a proven commodity, your boy was not. When you buy a free agent, you're going off of proven performance at this level. When you draft a player, you're going off of potential. Teams have to make their call as to which way they want to go.

The fact that you have become single minded on this to the point where you can so narrowly look at the issue shows that it has less to do with making sense than it does with being right. You might as well just posted I hate Mario Williams and moved on with your life.
                You started addressing the thread topic... So points there.

but then you fell apart, just like the other mouth breathers.

Face it Bills fans... Signing Mario for the contract we did not only wasn't smart, but was a PRIMARY reason that we had the record we did last year. There's just no other way to analyze it.

And the continued throng of coastal haters will prove it in this thread by not answering the questions or addressing the topic at hand.

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  Pittsburgh... The place where offensive linemen are grown... Said a rookie was struggling?

shocking.

but to answer your question.... I'll analyze it after Levitre walks.

now address the thread topic plz.

thank u.

The cant miss once and a decade OG needed time to grow? lmao

and your topic is asinine, why not compare him to the free agent you wanted in Mincy?

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    Does this mean you won't answer any of the questions either?

pitiful.
                    Why would anyone want to answer your ****ing questions?? Your a pitiful poster who only posts your LOVE for Mario homo

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                      The cant miss once and a decade OG needed time to grow? lmao

and your topic is asinine, why not compare him to the free agent you wanted in Mincy?
                      Never would have had to even think about Mincy if we had drafted Sheard in the first place.

Look I have a long record between two sites of recommended personnel moves.. Some good. Some not. On the whole... I'd love to see my players on a team together.

As far as DeCastro... Time will tell. One thing Im already planning (assuming we aren't idiots and let Levitre walk) is using this years top 10 pick on a RT.

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
                        Why would anyone want to answer your ****ing questions?? Your a pitiful poster who only posts your LOVE for Mario homo
                        Baby Jesus doesn't like thread spamming.

now say you're sorry.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

I love how you STILL compare a guy who was drafted in 2011 to a guy we signed in 2012 to try and make some correlation.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

I think Coastal is mentally ill and fighting with the thoughts of coming out of the closet

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                              I love how you STILL compare a guy who was drafted in 2011 to a guy we signed in 2012 to try and make some correlation.
                              So let me understand... the analytics here are invalid because one players was drafted a year prior to the other player being signed as a free agent?

Please explain that.. I'm not seeing how that makes the analysis invalid.

Comment

Working...
                              X