PDA

View Full Version : Setting the new coach up to fail? forcing a RD 1 qb pick

K-Gun
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
By all accounts this year's qb talent is low. If we force a RD 1 qb on the new coach we very well may be setting him up to fail.

Shannahan didn't get his qb in Wash until the start of his 3rd season. Of course there's no guarantee we'll get an RG3 type player. But forcing a new coach to go all in on his first draft pick as HC smacks of desperation.

If we don't pick the best player on the board, I don't think it bodes well for the future coach.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
There will be good QBs in this draft.

We need a good QB.

If anything the would be forcing him to succeed. Something they haven't done in YEARS

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
We have been going with the "best player on the board" approach for 13 years. IT HASN'T WORKED!!!!

GET THE FREAKING QB ALREADY

K-Gun
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Like our last RD 1 QB selection that we made out of need? Making moves out of desperation begets losing. You know, like trading up to draft JP Losman at 22 and giving our 20th pick the following year to Dallas when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board...

Bangarang
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
This is how guys like Ponder, Locker and Gabbert go in the top 12.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
holy christ...

we are getting alex smith, vick, flynn, or cousins... and, we are drafting a qb in rd 1 or 2...

GET THE QB, ****!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 11:46 AM
the dumbest part of this post is that even if you dont hit, you still have to keep drafting qbs until you find one... its not like you can just never take a risk on a qb because it's such a hard position to scout

K-Gun
01-05-2013, 11:50 AM
the dumbest part of this post is that even if you dont hit, you still have to keep drafting qbs until you find one... its not like you can just never take a risk on a qb because it's such a hard position to scout

I'm on board with Alex Smith. And if we sign him I think its even stupider to force the coach to pick a qb in RD 1. But if you don't hit its not that easy. Its a big investment. What I'm saying is that you let the new HC be comfortable that the investment in a new qb is one that he believes in, not one that's forced on him.

imbondz
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
if we work it just right, in 3 years we'll be firing the new coach, and if we can get the #1 draft pick in 3 yrs, we can get Manziel. that's what i'm hoping for.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm on board with Alex Smith. And if we sign him I think its even stupider to force the coach to pick a qb in RD 1. But if you don't hit its not that easy. Its a big investment. What I'm saying is that you let the new HC be comfortable that the investment in a new qb is one that he believes in, not one that's forced on him.

just let it go man, and frankly i dont want a coach coming into this situation not wanting a qb in rd1 or rd 2( and getting a vet qb)... we are taking a qb high, and we will keep doing it until we find one. you think the jags wont take a qb in rd 1 or 2?

SABURZFAN
01-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Like our last RD 1 QB selection that we made out of need? Making moves out of desperation begets losing. You know, like trading up to draft JP Losman at 22 and giving our 20th pick the following year to Dallas when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board...

I think about this when I see Rodgers play. it kills me.... :anvil:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I think about this when I see Rodgers play. it kills me.... :anvil:

but you would still have to take the qb in rodgers lol... there is no way of getting around this...

K-Gun
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
but you would still have to take the qb in rodgers lol... there is no way of getting around this...

holy ****. i'm not saying never draft a qb. i'm saying get a real ****ing qb that you know is going to be the man, rather than pulling a JP Losman II just b/c we NEED a qb.

With you're logic, drafting Losman was the right move. i'm saying let the new coach go with the guy HE thinks is it.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
holy ****. i'm not saying never draft a qb. i'm saying get a real ****ing qb that you know is going to be the man, rather than pulling a JP Losman II just b/c we NEED a qb.

With you're logic, drafting Losman was the right move. i'm saying let the new coach go with the guy HE thinks is it.

We drafted a bust once! Let's never draft that position high ever again!

RedEyE
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
If nothing pans out this year the Bills need to go all in on Johnny Manziel in 2014. That kid is just unreal and despite his 6' 1" height he's got a future in the NFL. Currently a redshirt freshman and academic junior. He will be out in the draft next year.

His running is awe inspiring but I've never seen such a natural gun slinger. His throws look effortless and are spot on.

Ingtar33
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
if we work it just right, in 3 years we'll be firing the new coach, and if we can get the #1 draft pick in 3 yrs, we can get Manziel. that's what i'm hoping for.

manziel is a redshirt freshman. which means he'll be entering next year's draft.

stuckincincy
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
manziel is a redshirt freshman. which means he'll be entering next year's draft.

Heh - how many of us remember the JV squad? :fogey:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM

no ****, pick a good qb. but the point is this, even if you pick a losman, you still have to pick a qb in rd 1 2 years later....

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
We drafted a bust once! Let's never draft that position high ever again!

thankyou! i dont get why people dont want to take a chance on smith, barkley, wilson, or glennon with our pick... they all have the same talent of wilson, ponder, flacco, freeman, etc..

ServoBillieves
01-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Here's a simple way to think of this... Now this might go over a couple of people's heads, but I'll put it plainly...

UPGRADE OVER FITZPATRICK!

kishoph
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Rogers didn't go early because the so called draft experts said that he wasn't as good as he stats, just like there will be a QB in this draft will succeed and in 3 years you'll be saying "I can't believe that they didn't draft so and so, " this team sucks. The draft "experts" are just like weathermen, they're making predictions and half the time they're not right.

mjt328
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Rodgers was certainly no guarantee at the time. He and Alex Smith both had big question marks around them coming out of college. Rodgers is probably the best QB in football now.

The experts praised Bill Parcells for passing on a risk like Matt Ryan for a sure LT in Jake Long. Miami has regretted it ever since.

Slam dunk picks like Luck and RG3 are very rare. Maybe every 8-10 years.
You can't sit around waiting forever for a sure thing to fall in your lap, or cross your fingers every draft that a mid round pick will become your Tom Brady.

History shows that 80-90% of successful quarterbacks are snatched up in the first or early 2nd round.
Despite what the experts are saying, this draft will likely yield a couple good QBs. Most do.
The Bills absolutely HAVE to identify which prospects have the best chance of succeeding, and they need to pull the trigger at #8 - because there is no guarantee our guy will last to #40.

Lone Stranger
01-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Some very intelligent reflections on the QB position. While a tremendous amount of energy is being spent analyzing the Head Coach candidates, the real concern is who will be our next QB. We ain't going to do nothing unless we upgrade that position regardless of who is coach.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 05:07 AM
imo, there are 5 potential nfl starting quality talents at qb in this draft...

smith, boyd, barkley, glennon, wilson, and my wildcard because of his arm strength and toughness is nassib...

i would love for the bills to take one of these guys early or in rd 2... if not, then something is not right

jamze132
01-06-2013, 05:29 AM

I doubt he leaves Texas A&M after next season unless they win the BCS Championship. He's the most popular kid in College Station.

kishoph
01-06-2013, 05:48 AM
imo, there are 5 potential nfl starting quality talents at qb in this draft...

smith, boyd, barkley, glennon, wilson, and my wildcard because of his arm strength and toughness is nassib...

i would love for the bills to take one of these guys early or in rd 2... if not, then something is not right

With Marrone now being the Head Coach, Nassib seems like a lot more attractive choice at QB, the kid has a big arm, quick release, is accurate, has good size and is tough. Who knows maybe Marrone's connection to Nassib was the selling point for the Bills selecting him as the Head Coach, if that is the case, now comes the problem where do you select him, I've seen him rated as the 4th best prospect at QB and rising, he most certainly would go no later than the 2nd round, but he may be taken in the 1st. If the Bills and Marrone are sold on him, do they use their 1st pick ? I say yes, do not gamble, if you like him, get him. It would be awesome to have a QB that can throw the ball farther than 10 yards and hit receivers in stride.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 06:07 AM
nassib will be there rd 2, lol...

hes got a big arm, but needs to sit for a year and has the occasional wtf throw... but he has big time talent... reminds me of a poor mans farve

kishoph
01-06-2013, 06:22 AM

hes got a big arm, but needs to sit for a year and has the occasional wtf throw... but he has big time talent... reminds me of a poor mans farve

If one or two unexpected teams grab a QB, there's no guarantee how fast the QB's will go, the Bills can't sit on their hands and watch QB's go. I'd rather pick Tyler Wilson myself, but there's no telling who the Bills want.

Cali512
01-06-2013, 06:46 AM

Nassib throws like a NFL QB, but his recievers cant handle it. His wtf throws usually are him throwing it away, but in a zone near a receiver so there is no intentional grounding. Every int ive seen outa him has been a deflection from a good throw or a great defensive play to get a hand on the ball to tip it. He can throw in the weather, is our coaches former QB, quick release, big strong and athletic, strong arm, good in the pocket. Shows an amazing footwork for a college QBs. Hes always moving his feet kinda like Manning