• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K-Gun
    Deal with it
    • Jul 2003

Setting the new coach up to fail? forcing a RD 1 qb pick

By all accounts this year's qb talent is low. If we force a RD 1 qb on the new coach we very well may be setting him up to fail.

Shannahan didn't get his qb in Wash until the start of his 3rd season. Of course there's no guarantee we'll get an RG3 type player. But forcing a new coach to go all in on his first draft pick as HC smacks of desperation.

If we don't pick the best player on the board, I don't think it bodes well for the future coach.
    [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Setting the new coach up to fail? forcing a RD 1 qb pick

There will be good QBs in this draft.

We need a good QB.

If anything the would be forcing him to succeed. Something they haven't done in YEARS

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

We have been going with the "best player on the board" approach for 13 years. IT HASN'T WORKED!!!!

GET THE FREAKING QB ALREADY

Comment

• K-Gun
        Deal with it
        • Jul 2003

Like our last RD 1 QB selection that we made out of need? Making moves out of desperation begets losing. You know, like trading up to draft JP Losman at 22 and giving our 20th pick the following year to Dallas when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board...
        [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

This is how guys like Ponder, Locker and Gabbert go in the top 12.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2010

holy christ...

we are getting alex smith, vick, flynn, or cousins... and, we are drafting a qb in rd 1 or 2...

GET THE QB, ****!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

the dumbest part of this post is that even if you dont hit, you still have to keep drafting qbs until you find one... its not like you can just never take a risk on a qb because it's such a hard position to scout

Comment

• K-Gun
                Deal with it
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
                the dumbest part of this post is that even if you dont hit, you still have to keep drafting qbs until you find one... its not like you can just never take a risk on a qb because it's such a hard position to scout
                I'm on board with Alex Smith. And if we sign him I think its even stupider to force the coach to pick a qb in RD 1. But if you don't hit its not that easy. Its a big investment. What I'm saying is that you let the new HC be comfortable that the investment in a new qb is one that he believes in, not one that's forced on him.

- Aristotle

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

if we work it just right, in 3 years we'll be firing the new coach, and if we can get the #1 draft pick in 3 yrs, we can get Manziel. that's what i'm hoping for.

My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by K-Gun View Post
                    I'm on board with Alex Smith. And if we sign him I think its even stupider to force the coach to pick a qb in RD 1. But if you don't hit its not that easy. Its a big investment. What I'm saying is that you let the new HC be comfortable that the investment in a new qb is one that he believes in, not one that's forced on him.

just let it go man, and frankly i dont want a coach coming into this situation not wanting a qb in rd1 or rd 2( and getting a vet qb)... we are taking a qb high, and we will keep doing it until we find one. you think the jags wont take a qb in rd 1 or 2?

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Like our last RD 1 QB selection that we made out of need? Making moves out of desperation begets losing. You know, like trading up to draft JP Losman at 22 and giving our 20th pick the following year to Dallas when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board...

I think about this when I see Rodgers play. it kills me....
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SABURZFAN View Post
                        I think about this when I see Rodgers play. it kills me....

but you would still have to take the qb in rodgers lol... there is no way of getting around this...

Comment

• K-Gun
                          Deal with it
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
                          but you would still have to take the qb in rodgers lol... there is no way of getting around this...
                          holy ****. i'm not saying never draft a qb. i'm saying get a real ****ing qb that you know is going to be the man, rather than pulling a JP Losman II just b/c we NEED a qb.

With you're logic, drafting Losman was the right move. i'm saying let the new coach go with the guy HE thinks is it.

- Aristotle

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

holy ****. i'm not saying never draft a qb. i'm saying get a real ****ing qb that you know is going to be the man, rather than pulling a JP Losman II just b/c we NEED a qb.

With you're logic, drafting Losman was the right move. i'm saying let the new coach go with the guy HE thinks is it.
                            We drafted a bust once! Let's never draft that position high ever again!

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

If nothing pans out this year the Bills need to go all in on Johnny Manziel in 2014. That kid is just unreal and despite his 6' 1" height he's got a future in the NFL. Currently a redshirt freshman and academic junior. He will be out in the draft next year.

His running is awe inspiring but I've never seen such a natural gun slinger. His throws look effortless and are spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X