PDA

View Full Version : Potential Coaches and their Braintypes

Banks2Pierce
01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
This may seem like crazy talk, and that's fine if you think that, but I think the Bills should be making their coaching choice based on brain typing. I am a student of Niednagel and his brain types and he's been spot on about many things. Most famously, he picked out Leaf as a bust and Manning as a future star. The Manning part easy, but the Leaf was a bold choice and he was calling it out before the draft. I've typed the recently fired coaches over the last decade or so and I fear we may be going in the wrong direction. I haven't had Chip or the Broncos OC on my radar so haven't had time to type them yet, but if anyone cares I might try them as well. Apologies for the lack of organization, but it's my INFP type(Dungy.)

As a background, they have good descriptions of the types on this page here: http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html . Maybe you could even type yourself. There are 16 types. Extrovert vs. Introvert. Sensate(see in the moment) vs. iNtuitive(see big picture). Feeler vs. Thinker. Perceiver(flexible) vs. Judger(rigid).

Chan's type was ENTP. Very intelligent, but they often aren't the best head coaches. Best used as coordinators. Romeo Crennel was also an ENTP. Rex Ryan as well: keep in mind that this is 70% nature and 30% the environment you grew up/live in.

I happen to think the best in the league is Belichick. He is an ENTJ. Some notable ENTJs are Gruden, Steve Young, Marv Levy, both Harbaugh sons, Jack Kemp, Vince Lombardi.

Lovie Smith : ENFP. Stay away! People get behind them emotionally because they are good motivators, but they aren't good with the details and x's and o's. No real history of long term coaching success in the NFL.

Whisenhunt: ISTP. Being hammered for his record, but that's with a laundry list of terrible QBs. They need a good GM above them, but the ISTPs are always phenomenal at coaching. They focus their whole lives on winning and nothing else. Usually the best mix of motivating and X's and O's. (Cowher, Ditka, Shanahan)

Andy Reid: ESTJ. I know he's already scooped up, but throwing this out there anyways. Decent coaches, mixed track record. Same as Mike McCarthy.

Norv Turner: INTJ. Very unique type, but they are highly regarded throughout the sports world as great coaches. He has had very solid teams over the years. Only football precedent is Al Davis, but successful INTJs in other sports are Phil Jackson, Rick Carlisle, Gregg Popovich, and Tony LaRussa.

My short list would be(in no order)
Cowher
Norv
Whisenhunt
Gruden
Steve Young - I'd bring him in for an interview and see where he's at with X's and O's in terms of staying up to date with current concepts/schemes.

Mike
01-05-2013, 04:47 PM
This may seem like crazy talk, and that's fine if you think that, but I think the Bills should be making their coaching choice based on brain typing. I am a student of Niednagel and his brain types and he's been spot on about many things. Most famously, he picked out Leaf as a bust and Manning as a future star. The Manning part easy, but the Leaf was a bold choice and he was calling it out before the draft. I've typed the recently fired coaches over the last decade or so and I fear we may be going in the wrong direction. I haven't had Chip or the Broncos OC on my radar so haven't had time to type them yet, but if anyone cares I might try them as well. Apologies for the lack of organization, but it's my INFP type(Dungy.)

As a background, they have good descriptions of the types on this page here: http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html . Maybe you could even type yourself. There are 16 types. Extrovert vs. Introvert. Sensate(see in the moment) vs. iNtuitive(see big picture). Feeler vs. Thinker. Perceiver(flexible) vs. Judger(rigid).

Chan's type was ENTP. Very intelligent, but they often aren't the best head coaches. Best used as coordinators. Romeo Crennel was also an ENTP. Rex Ryan as well: keep in mind that this is 70% nature and 30% the environment you grew up/live in.

I happen to think the best in the league is Belichick. He is an ENTJ. Some notable ENTJs are Gruden, Steve Young, Marv Levy, both Harbaugh sons, Jack Kemp, Vince Lombardi.

Lovie Smith : ENFP. Stay away! People get behind them emotionally because they are good motivators, but they aren't good with the details and x's and o's. No real history of long term coaching success in the NFL.

Whisenhunt: ISTP. Being hammered for his record, but that's with a laundry list of terrible QBs. They need a good GM above them, but the ISTPs are always phenomenal at coaching. They focus their whole lives on winning and nothing else. Usually the best mix of motivating and X's and O's. (Cowher, Ditka, Shanahan)

Andy Reid: ESTJ. I know he's already scooped up, but throwing this out there anyways. Decent coaches, mixed track record. Same as Mike McCarthy.

Norv Turner: INTJ. Very unique type, but they are highly regarded throughout the sports world as great coaches. He has had very solid teams over the years. Only football precedent is Al Davis, but successful INTJs in other sports are Phil Jackson, Rick Carlisle, Gregg Popovich, and Tony LaRussa.

My short list would be(in no order)
Cowher
Norv
Whisenhunt
Gruden
Steve Young - I'd bring him in for an interview and see where he's at with X's and O's in terms of staying up to date with current concepts/schemes.

Im an INTJ which is about 1-2% of the population. From the MBTI I can tell you it's sometimes hard to figure out someone is without them taking the test. As far as the test is concerned, it as not been scientifically verified; that being said many corporation use the test during their hiring process. It helps place people in the right positions. Personally I have used it quite often in hiring employees and certain types I completely stay away from depending on the role.

As far as Bill Belichick, he strikes me as a complete introvert. Again and introvert for Carl Jung was someone who recharges their batteries via alone time opposed to social time. Introverts tend to be more introspective looking within for the answers. However this does Not mean that they are shy or non social.

Banks2Pierce
01-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Im an INTJ which is about 1-2% of the population. From the MBTI I can tell you it's sometimes hard to figure out someone is without them taking the test. As far as the test is concerned, it as not been scientifically verified; that being said many corporation use the test during their hiring process. It helps place people in the right positions. Personally I have used it quite often in hiring employees and certain types I completely stay away from depending on the role.

As far as Bill Belichick, he strikes me as a complete introvert. Again and introvert for Carl Jung was someone who recharges their batteries via alone time opposed to social time. Introverts tend to be more introspective looking within for the answers. However this does Not mean that they are shy or non social.

Typing is not easy for sure. For me, I have to observe someone for a long time to figure it out most of the time. Some types are easier to spot than others(ENTPs stick out like sore thumbs to me.) Sometimes people taking their own test don't bare much fruit as they might answer it how they want to portray themselves instead of the truth. I haven't seen corporate tests so maybe they have masked, intuitive ways of asking. I like you INTJs, except when you drink. ;)

Belichick gives off some Introverted vibes for sure, but I think that might completely be his press conference persona. I got an entirely different impression of him by watching his soundbite show on NFL Network.

I'll be curious to see where this goes in the future as far as scientific backing. It's passed the "eye test" for me for the past decade that I have known about it. It should be verified/debunked in the next 10 years.

Mike
01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
As far as Whisenhunt my perception of him is pretty close to yours.

i think he can excel with a great talent pool & take them to a SB however he lacks in the ability of putting talent together. For the AZ teams, he took Denis Greens team to SB and once players left/retired they could not reload. You better have a once in a generation GM that can put together a talent laden squad something the Bills are not...

here are a few of his gafs: drafted RT instead of Adrian Peterson, trading for Kolb, letting a number of key FAs go, poor drafts, etc...

Banks2Pierce
01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
With the 49ers now clinching the NFC, we are guaranteed to have an all ENTJ head-coached Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure Marrone is ENTx...haven't figured out the last part yet.

Mike
01-20-2013, 10:11 PM
interesting, they make great leaders

TigerJ
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
So, how many posters know what they are? Taking the Meyers Briggs, I've tested as INTP, and INTJ on separate occasions. That's possible because every one of the 4 pairs of letters actually represents a range. You can be a P, but close to the middle of the range. Answer a couple questions differently because of how you're feeling that day or because your general perspective has changed over time, and you can be on the other side of the middle. BTW, people with my personality type are generally regarded as best suited to jobs where they can work alone, like a researcher in some hidden lab. I'm a church pastor. Go figure.

By the way, Banks, what is your qualification to make an assessment of these guys from observation?

Mouldsie
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I test INTP usually. I do see value in using assessments like these but wouldn't go too far with it. I have a theory that to build a great organization it's best to fill it with people that score high on optimism, at least at the lower levels.

The Jokeman
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Where did you learn you were an INTJ? As I've tested as one myself and based on your note of it being a small percentage of the population found it strange both on the board. Yet the nature of message boards it might lead to more of us being here then the general population.

Mouldsie
01-21-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/how-frequent-is-my-type.asp