PDA

View Full Version : Thought you guys might find this interesting

Patti120
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?t=46016

:popcorn:

Goobylal
01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
It's been posted numerous times. But it means little because most of their problems have been on offense, where they've had bad QBs/OL/OC during Smith's tenure. In Buffalo he'll have a good OL and likely Nix and/or Whaley will select the OC. The tricky part is getting the QB, but that's true for any coach.

ServoBillieves
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
So you're telling me he's not Bill Parcells or Bill Belichek? Shoot! That's who I thought our replacement would be the caliber of!

Slim
01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
It's simple. If we can somehow land a great QB and put him in the right system. He can make almost any coach look good.

justasportsfan
01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?t=46016

:popcorn:

at least he's beating teams he should beat. That's more than both Dick and Chan can say. Lovie could do a lot better with a stable franchise qb to go with Spiller though. Whaley and Nix have to make sure of that.

Don't Panic
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Agree with the thoughts above... its going to come down to QB to take him to the next level as a coach.

Mahdi
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
If Lovie can bring his defense to Buffalo, get a good OC and fix the QB situation through FA AND the draft he can take us to the playoffs in year one.

ublinkwescore
01-05-2013, 08:47 PM
so hiring Lovie should mean no more losing to cleveland (Jauron), Miami, NYJ, or cincy - SIGN ME UP!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

so hiring Lovie should mean no more losing to cleveland (Jauron), Miami, NYJ, or cincy - SIGN ME UP!!!!

TigerJ
01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
My thoughts are similar to others already expressed. Lovie Smith operated with an ongoing handicap in Chicago, a GM who did not seem to understand that a QB needs a solid offensive line to be productive. Cutler is a decent QB, but he's been pummeled relentlessly because the GM won't draft decent linemen. Cutler has complained about it. He's been injured. Now, in Buffalo, to this point, there is no decent QB. However, if we get one, and we maybe upgrade the receiving corps somewhat, and get a decent OC, the offense could end up being better than anything Smith had in Chicago. Then all Smith has to do is get the defense to function at the level of the talent we already allegedly possess.

Typ0
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I think the guy goes a little far with his argument. Teams with 11+ wins don't lose a lot!

Ingtar33
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
It's been posted numerous times. But it means little because most of their problems have been on offense, where they've had bad QBs/OL/OC during Smith's tenure. In Buffalo he'll have a good OL and likely Nix and/or Whaley will select the OC. The tricky part is getting the QB, but that's true for any coach.

you're smoking something if you think a head coach will willingly come to a team where he doesn't have 100% control over his staff.

Goobylal
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
you're smoking something if you think a head coach will willingly come to a team where he doesn't have 100% control over his staff.
Depends on how in-demand he is and/or how much he wants the job. The Bills can say "we'll hire you and let you pick the DC, but we will pick the OC, take it or leave it." If he signs...

Tatonka
01-05-2013, 11:20 PM
It's simple. If we can somehow land a great QB and put him in the right system. He can make almost any coach look good.

i couldnt agree more. any coach looks good with a great qb and only a rare few can win without it.. it still amazes me what the pats were able to do with matt cassel as their qb a few seasons ago. the fact of the matter is that lovie is not really that good. he can't beat good teams and he lost his job because of it. he has not ever shown the ability to competently pick a good offensive coordinator and he had plenty of years and opportunities to do so. not sure why it would change now. the bears fans never liked lovie.. he is an average coach who runs his team like dick jauron.. he is just a better defensive mind..

the reason that i wanted to see chip kelly here so bad is that he is innovative.. i dont really want a retread that got canned because he couldn't ever get the job done.. i want some new blood that doesn't have a track record of being average..

a case can be made that belicheck was an average coach who went to a new team and has had great success.. but he is the only one i can think of really.. maybe tom cofflin.. but there is not a big list, thats for sure.

personally i say no to retreads.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-06-2013, 01:17 AM
My thoughts are similar to others already expressed. Lovie Smith operated with an ongoing handicap in Chicago, a GM who did not seem to understand that a QB needs a solid offensive line to be productive. Cutler is a decent QB, but he's been pummeled relentlessly because the GM won't draft decent linemen. Cutler has complained about it. He's been injured. Now, in Buffalo, to this point, there is no decent QB. However, if we get one, and we maybe upgrade the receiving corps somewhat, and get a decent OC, the offense could end up being better than anything Smith had in Chicago. Then all Smith has to do is get the defense to function at the level of the talent we already allegedly possess.

Since 2008, Chicago has used two first rounders on linemen and two firsts on Cutler. Basically, when they dealt away all those picks, they were banking on Cutler and that defense being able to compensate for the lack of talent coming in from the first two rounds. The bill came due this year.

jamze132
01-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Lovie Smith is obviously the choice considering who we interviewed and they're level of interest. If we can't get it done, my next choice is Ray Horton.

kishoph
01-06-2013, 03:01 AM
a case can be made that belicheck was an average coach who went to a new team and has had great success.. but he is the only one i can think of really.. maybe tom cofflin.. but there is not a big list, thats for sure.

personally i say no to retreads.

It happened in Buffalo with Marv Levy. It all depends on the QB.

Night Train
01-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Lovie Smith is obviously the choice considering who we interviewed and they're level of interest. If we can't get it done, my next choice is Ray Horton.

F***ing HATE Lovie. He's a clueless DC propped up to be a HC. Glad we passed on this fraud.

jamze132
01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
F***ing HATE Lovie. He's a clueless DC propped up to be a HC. Glad we passed on this fraud.

I would rather have gone with Horton.