PDA

View Full Version : New HC: Doug Marrone

wmoz11
01-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Congrats and welcome to our new head coach: Doug Marrone.

I personally think it's a great fit. Let's go Buffalo!

sba
01-06-2013, 04:18 AM
barfffff Russ Brandon sucks.

Figster
01-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Bring on Ryan Nassib!

TrEd FTW
01-06-2013, 04:34 AM
I love it.

billsfanryan
01-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Is this guy really ready for the NFL already?

wmoz11
01-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Former Saints OC when they were putting up points. He's ready. Let's go!!! I Billieve!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 04:54 AM
can someone tell me his resume and when he was under parcells?

Bangarang
01-06-2013, 04:57 AM
can someone tell me his resume and when he was under parcells?

Wikipedia is your friend.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 05:00 AM
wiki doesnt mention anything... i already looked duh

CoolBreeze
01-06-2013, 05:02 AM
It's now the "Breaking News" on the NFL Network

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 05:03 AM
when did he coach under parcells?

kishoph
01-06-2013, 05:08 AM
I wouldn't mind this at all, he took a **** program at Syracuse and made them competitive. He has NFL experience and has received praise by Bill Parcells and Sean Payton, endorsements could amount to nothing, but if you're going to get them, those are 2 good guys to get them from. In 3 years as the Saints OC, they finished ranked #1, two of the years, of course they had Brees, but any successful coach, needs a successful QB. Also it's not like the Gailey hire, where nobody else even had interest in Gailey, there are other teams interested in Marrone and if he doesn't land an NFL coaching job this year he will soon.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 05:09 AM
former olineman, so you know he can spot tough guys

CoolBreeze
01-06-2013, 05:14 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-06/buffalo-bills-coaching-search-doug-marrone-leaves-syracuse-replacing-chan-gailey

djjimkelly
01-06-2013, 05:17 AM
just woke up and saw hes our new coach ill be honest i was scared ****less we were gonna hire chip kelly who will suck as an nfl coach

parcells tree top offense with sean payton im on board

Bangarang
01-06-2013, 05:19 AM
I wonder if Marrone will bring Shafer to be his DC.

ublinkwescore
01-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Get rod marineli to coordinate our D.

jamze132
01-06-2013, 05:26 AM
How is this supposed to bring confidence to us? We got yet another HC with no prior HC experience. He was an OC 4 years ago who just happened to have a future HoF QB.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-06-2013, 05:27 AM
I don't know yet if I'm happy..... I guess this is better than Wizinyereye.
seems the browns were liking him too.

Night Train
01-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Awesome. After Kelly, he and McCoy were my next best favorites.

He rebuilt Syracuse from the ashes and has a firm grasp on all areas of the team, just not O or D. Blitzing, attacking D. Pro style O. Tuna and Belechick just raved about the guy. 48 years old and can identify with the players. Should be able to attract top asst. coaches. Bring in QB Nassib in Round 2 to reduce the learning curve.

Like this choice very much.

don137
01-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Other than Whisenhunt he was my second least favorite choice. I feel he is a risky pick. He did turn around the Syracuse program but it's not like they were a top 25 team. Not sure what kind of quality assistants he can bring in. Time will tell if this was a good pick.

Night Train
01-06-2013, 05:35 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/01/report-bills-hire-doug-marrone-to-be-next-head-coach.html

tampabay25690
01-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Congrats and welcome to our new head coach: Doug Marrone.

I personally think it's a great fit. Let's go Buffalo!

I like the hire as well!!
I was scared we would over pay for chip Kelly!!!

Marrone has done a good job with mediocre talent!!!

RedEyE
01-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Good God. This has to be a nightmare. I'm going bck to bed.

Night Train
01-06-2013, 05:44 AM
I wonder if Marrone will bring Shafer to be his DC.

I would hope so. They're an attacking D and blitz from all angles.

swiper
01-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Bring on Ryan Nassib!

Seems like the natural next step.

RedEyE
01-06-2013, 05:50 AM
This had better not suck.

CoolBreeze
01-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Watching NFL Network... Brian Billick just said Marrone was a great hire. That was suprising

- - - Updated - - -

Why not someone in the coaching tree with a proven track record...like Sean Payton?!

This had better not suck.
I think Payton just signed a huge contract extension with the Saints

RedEyE
01-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Watching NFL Network... Brian Billick just said Marrone was a great hire. That was suprising

- - - Updated - - -

I think Payton just signed a huge contract extension with the Saints
Thanks. He did. Still on my first cup o' joe. Edited my post.

jamze132
01-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Of all the ways to save a buck...

Historian
01-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Extensive search....lol

kishoph
01-06-2013, 06:06 AM

He rebuilt Syracuse from the ashes and has a firm grasp on all areas of the team, just not O or D. Blitzing, attacking D. Pro style O. Tuna and Belechick just raved about the guy. 48 years old and can identify with the players. Should be able to attract top asst. coaches. Bring in QB Nassib in Round 2 to reduce the learning curve.

Will he last to the 2nd round though, his stock has been rising, I've seen him ranked as high as the 4th best QB prospect from nfldraftscout.com there's no telling if there could be a run on QB's. I say if they like him, get him with the 1st pick, don't take no chances, if they're sold on him, it's better to reach, then 2 years down the line, saying damn they could of drafted Ryan Nassib and ending up with Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Nassib IS RF2

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Will he last to the 2nd round though, his stock has been rising, I've seen him ranked as high as the 4th best QB prospect from nfldraftscout.com there's no telling if there could be a run on QB's. I say if they like him, get him with the 1st pick, don't take no chances, if they're sold on him, it's better to reach, then 2 years down the line, saying damn they could of drafted Ryan Nassib and ending up with Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0.

yes, nassib will be there rd 2, possibly 3

kishoph
01-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Nassib IS RF2

You can't be "Serious?"

tampabay25690
01-06-2013, 06:15 AM
1 good thing is Im sure Marrone will be looking for a QB in FA and drafting 1.
The offense he runs is defininitely not a FITZ style offense with his arm strength.

coastal
01-06-2013, 06:16 AM
It's all part of the analytics and regionalization of the franchise.

Up next Nassib in round 2.

puke.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 06:32 AM
It's all part of the analytics and regionalization of the franchise.

Up next Nassib in round 2.

puke.

lmao

Dude
01-06-2013, 06:34 AM
First step in moving the team to Syracuse.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
A mediocre coach with a mediocre record in a mediocre conference. Hello, three more years of no playoffs.

jamze132
01-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Russ Brandon was really serious about regionalization!

May e we can get M&T Bank to cough up someone to run the defense and if we're really lucky we can get a guy from Topps to design our offense. I'm psyched!

IAG
01-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Awful.

GingerP
01-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Former Saints OC when they were putting up points. He's ready. Let's go!!! I Billieve!

Sean Payton called plays, though. He may have been OC, but he didn't call plays on gameday. Payton was an offensive coach who controlled the offense, so Marone was more of an assistant OC to Payton.

Give the guy a shot, he may be the next great thing. That said, the Bills took a real risk. Other teams expressed interest in him, so he probably is fairly highly thought of. Big risk, though, compared to a coach with a more proven NFL background.

Tiburon1724
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Wow a .500 record. awesome. Much better than a coach with experience and just went 10-6 in the NFL. I realize Kelly had no intention on coming here but Lovie was right there. Hence the cycle continues Jauron Mularkey Gailey now Moron.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I'll reserve judgement until we see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like, but...A)If we're going to mine the college ranks, at least we get somebody with NFL experience and B)if we take Nassib in the first round I'm gonna puke.

swiper
01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
yes, nassib will be there rd 2, possibly 3

The Bills won't chance letting him fall to the 3rd after recent near misses (Kaepernick, Wilson, Cousins). You can guarantee they will grab him in the 2nd (if he's there).

swiper
01-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Russ Brandon was really serious about regionalization!

May e we can get M&T Bank to cough up someone to run the defense and if we're really lucky we can get a guy from Topps to design our offense. I'm psyched!

This is exactly the next sales pitch to the Bills fans from Brandon: "we're building you a home-grown winner folks."

Just gotta.... :ignore:

Don't Panic
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I like it. The ceiling was evident on Wisenhunt and Lovie. This basically came down to who they liked best out of Marrone, McCoy, and Horton, three guys who could be the next great thing. I want to build a Super Bowl Champion, not simply get back to the Wild Card round so we can say we broke the no playoff streak. If they took the time to talk to all these guys and feel Marrone was the best, I'm all for it.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Herm Edwards talks about Marrone
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8817962/doug-marrone-new-buffalo-bills-coach-sources-say

jamze132
01-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Herm Edwards talks about Marrone
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8817962/doug-marrone-new-buffalo-bills-coach-sources-say

Not in that link he doesn't.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
If some how we end up with a franchise QB over the next 3 years the hiring of Marrone will look awesome.
If he's stuck with bums like Fitzpatrick, Losman, Holcomb, Edwards, Brohm, and Johnson he will end up like Williams, Mularkey, Juaron, and Gailey.

Slim
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
This was the right choice imo. We dont need another retread failed HC. We need a young innovative mind that proved he can already change. A losing culture. Cuse was one of the worst teams in CFB with Greg Robinson, Marrone turned the program around in 3 years. He might be moving re risky than Lovie but why settle for mediocre? Take a chance and try to score big, after all the goal is a ring.

camelcowboy
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
If he works great, if not we will suck enough to draft Johnny Football

Historian
01-06-2013, 07:49 AM
The lemmings on this board never cease to amaze me....

X-Era
01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I'll reserve judgement until we see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like, but...A)If we're going to mine the college ranks, at least we get somebody with NFL experience and B)if we take Nassib in the first round I'm gonna puke.
He has NFL experience with NO as the OC from 06 to 08

THRILLHO
I guess his .500 record is better than anything we've posted in a while....

Don't Panic
I remember when we hired Phillips. I thought it was a lukewarm choice but I was OK with it because we had done so well accumulating talent at that point.

I remember when we hired Williams. Although I thought he looked like a dueche, I liked it because he was a successful coordinator coming from a high achieving team.

I remember when we hired Mularkey and hearing how he was in danger of losing his OC job in Pittsburgh at the time. That didn't strike much confidence in me.

I remember when we hired Jauron. Hated it. I believe, at least in our minds, it came down to him and Sherman. I definitely wanted Sherman. Jauron had retread written all over him.

I remember when we hired Gailey. I wanted to support him because I felt like we had just gotten dissed by so many big names so I felt obliged to have someone who actually wanted to be here. I liked that Jerry Jones said he didn't give him enough time.

We know how all six of these turned out. In the end, all of these guys were unable to deliver. So what's different this time? Hard to say, but I'm not looking at a few numbers and dismissing the guy, that's for sure. He took a dead in the water program and gave it life, oversaw one of the greatest passing attacks of all time, and did a solid job building NFL lines. He knows the offensive side of the ball and has the respect of many who have worked with him. I want to see who he can bring in to run the D and what they do with the offseason. I'm excited... hope returns to OBD.

X-Era
01-06-2013, 07:55 AM
I have like a dozen one liners and none of them are good.

Here's just a sampling:

Type the imposter head coach: If you like Chip Kelly you'll LOVE Doug Marrone

I feel like we went to a party and missed out on the hot chick but instead ended up in bed with her fat friend

X-Era
01-06-2013, 07:56 AM
The positive is that this is different. If you wanted different you got it.

It's bold. That's also true.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Not in that link he doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur33_IhxusY

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
His most notable success is as the OC for the Saints where Sean Payton called the plays and Drew Brees audibled them when needed. Soooo basically he was a spectator.

camelcowboy
01-06-2013, 08:03 AM
I have like a dozen one liners and none of them are good.

Here's just a sampling:

Type the imposter head coach: If you like Chip Kelly you'll LOVE Doug Marrone

I feel like we went to a party and missed out on the hot chick but instead ended up in bed with her fat friend

Fat chick has more experience then the hot friend. Sometimes the fat ones are a better ride.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 08:04 AM
His most notable success is as the OC for the Saints where Sean Payton called the plays and Drew Brees audibled them when needed. Soooo basically he was a spectator.

NO it isn't. That's you looking for a reason to hate the hire.

His work at Syracuse is his most notable success.

Billz_fan
01-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Good god, I cannot believe they.....Ohh never mind yes I can. Im really at a loss for words here. Another wasted coaching search.

Bmax
01-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Possible Def asst. Donnie Henderson SEC coach.. Gary Gibbs LB or def coordinator.. LB yes.... def co no...

better days
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
This is TERRIBLE news to wake up to. I guess I will have to change my user name.

MidnightVoice
01-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, at least I won't need to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket next year.

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 08:13 AM
NO it isn't. That's you looking for a reason to hate the hire.

His work at Syracuse is his most notable success.

Didn't his team go 8-5 and lose to most of the toughest teams? Its not like he lit the NCAA up. Its definitely a bolder move but that doesn't mean he has proven much.

camelcowboy
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Let's not go too far

Historian
01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Exhaustive search......roflmao!

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Well its nice to see that once again OBD has screwed up. I expected some type of bull**** move and well the Bills Brass didn't let me down. Way to hire a new coach who will be gone in three years. 3-13 here we come.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
He has NFL experience with NO as the OC from 06 to 08

That's why I stated...I'll reserve judgement until we see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like, but...A)If we're going to mine the college ranks, at least we get somebody with NFL experience and B)if we take Nassib in the first round I'm gonna puke.

X-Era
01-06-2013, 08:29 AM
That's why I stated...I'll reserve judgement until we see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like, but...A)If we're going to mine the college ranks, at least we get somebody with NFL experience and B)if we take Nassib in the first round I'm gonna puke.

Sorry man. It's early I can't read.

I like what he did at Syracuse. But he took a crappy team and made them mediocre and un-ranked. It's improvement but it's not exactly epic.

gonzo1105
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Look I get why some people aren't happy about his hiring but the people who are talking about how he was an average college coach are dead wrong. Its very easy for a college coach such as Les Miles or Nick Saban to do their job when they are getting the top recruits year after year after year. Marrone took a bad bad program one of the top 20 worst programs in the country and they won a share of the Big East this year.

Greg Robinson's tenure before Marrone came on was:

2005: 1-10 Overall 0-7 in the big East
2006: 4-8 Overall 1-7 in the big East
2007: 2-10 Overall 1-6 in the big East
2008: 3-9 Overall 1-7 in the big East

I mean how dare Doug Marrone in 4 seasons not turn the Syracuse program into the next Alabama. The fact that he even got the program of Syracuse to a share of the Big East title in 4 years after only winning 3 big East games the previous 4 seasons should tell you something. Remember Syracuse isn't getting top recruits every year. That should tell you that the players that are coming in(not highly rated) are getting coached up and are becoming better football players when they are at Syracuse. He will develop young talent. Its a wait and see hire but the Bills are very comparable to the Syracuse program and how it needs to be raised.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Didn't his team go 8-5 and lose to most of the toughest teams? Its not like he lit the NCAA up. Its definitely a bolder move but that doesn't mean he has proven much.

You're not getting it. Saying that he didn't make the calls at NO is NOT a success story. That's a negative if you want to call it that.

If there is anything he did right was turning around a football program. That's a positive. So if you want to talk about whats positive about this guy, it's his tenure at SU. BUt since you don't like the hire, you forget what he did there and use something else to make him look bad.

I'll tell you this much, no matter if it was Whisenhunt, Lovie, McCoy, Marrone, any of them would be better than keeping your beloved Gailey.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Extensive search....lol

Here's my thinking...just as we expect player personnel departments to track, evaluate and rank college and professional players throughout the entire year in the event that they become available to upgrade the team, I would HOPE the higher-ups at OBD approach the other positions of the front office and coaching staff in a similar manner. If Brandon, and maybe Nix and Whaley, are worth a damn and serious about 'analytics' they started compiling a list, doing their research, and narrowing down that list to a manageable number on the contingency that Gailey failed and had to be let go, a long time ago.

Regardless of how this hire turns out, I give them credit for moving quickly and efficiently.

Dude
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM

I like what he did at Syracuse. But he took a crappy team and made them mediocre and un-ranked. It's improvement but it's not exactly epic.
Not ranked != unsuccessful

College coaches don't have the benefit of trades and free agency to make improvements. It's often taking players you didn't recruit and getting them to buy into your system. Just because Syracuse wasn't ranked does not mean they weren't a good team, and it doesn't mean Marrone isn't a good coach.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM

It certainly isn't the flashy hire, but atm I like it slightly better than Kelly. Granted, that's not saying much.

swiper
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Now we know why Brandon blew through all these interviews so quickly - he wanted to get them out of the way so he could get to his guy.

Gotta give the fans the appearance of an exhaustive search.

But we all now know it was Marrone all along.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

I'm glad that you like 3-13

X-Era
01-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Not ranked != unsuccessful

College coaches don't have the benefit of trades and free agency to make improvements. It's often taking players you didn't recruit and getting them to buy into your system. Just because Syracuse wasn't ranked does not mean they weren't a good team, and it doesn't mean Marrone isn't a good coach.
Their record made them mediocre IMO. Syracuse is not as good as Oregon.

camelcowboy
01-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm glad that you like 3-13

I could find happiness in that if they can get there hands on manzel.

Billz_fan
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
There are many NFL Coaches over the years who were good coaches that were unable to win in the NFL enough to keep a job. This is the highest level in the sport competition wise. There is no way that this guy makes it at this level with what he has done in the sport to date. This is the Bills once again trying to hit a home run wothout spending any money on good enough equipment. It's really a sad thing.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
I could find happiness in that if they can get there hands on manzel.

Nope, they'll draft their "Franchise" QB this year and then next year they'll send that pick to the Patriots for a badly injured and over the hill receiver.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
This is kinda like waking up and finding that you've been invaded and Saddam Hussein is running the defense department.

Patti120
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM

But you know you will out of morbid curiousity! Or at least I'm sure I will again...Sadly! Good thing there will be plenty of other games to watch!

better days
01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Look I get why some people aren't happy about his hiring but the people who are talking about how he was an average college coach are dead wrong. Its very easy for a college coach such as Les Miles or Nick Saban to do their job when they are getting the top recruits year after year after year. Marrone took a bad bad program one of the top 20 worst programs in the country and they won a share of the Big East this year.

Greg Robinson's tenure before Marrone came on was:

2005: 1-10 Overall 0-7 in the big East
2006: 4-8 Overall 1-7 in the big East
2007: 2-10 Overall 1-6 in the big East
2008: 3-9 Overall 1-7 in the big East

I mean how dare Doug Marrone in 4 seasons not turn the Syracuse program into the next Alabama. The fact that he even got the program of Syracuse to a share of the Big East title in 4 years after only winning 3 big East games the previous 4 seasons should tell you something. Remember Syracuse isn't getting top recruits every year. That should tell you that the players that are coming in(not highly rated) are getting coached up and are becoming better football players when they are at Syracuse. He will develop young talent. Its a wait and see hire but the Bills are very comparable to the Syracuse program and how it needs to be raised.

Yeah, I look forward to 8-8 ad infinitum.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't know much about Marrone but I'm not too excited about this. Just an anti-climatic choice.

At least I'm VERY glad we didn't hire Whisenhunt or Lovie. Those hires would SCREAM same old same old.

And OMG I'm so relieved we didn't jump down the cliff with Chip Kelly.

X-Era
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't know much about Marrone but I'm not too excited about this. Just an anti-climatic choice.

At least I'm VERY glad we didn't hire Whisenhunt or Lovie. Those hires would SCREAM same old same old.

And OMG I'm so relieved we didn't jump down the cliff with Chip Kelly.Then you must have either wanted someone like Gruden/Cowher who may have not even been available or the NFL coord route like McCoy etc...

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
or the NFL coord route like McCoy etc...

Marrone has NFL coordinator in his resume'

Mr. Pink
01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I won't jump all over the guy if or when we go 5-11 in 2013 since I'm pretty much expecting that regardless of who we were bringing in...unless he looks completely lost out there, which I'm gonna assume he won't.

2014 will be the true test if we made the right hire, imo.

Dude
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Their record made them mediocre IMO. Syracuse is not as good as Oregon.No, but Oregon wasn't one of the worst teams in the country 4 years ago either.

X-Era
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
No, but Oregon wasn't one of the worst teams in the country 4 years ago either.That's true.

My only point is that it's not like he built a ranked power house. I just want to be fair.

Dude
01-06-2013, 09:08 AM
That's true.

My only point is that it's not like he built a ranked power house. I just want to be fair.No he didn't. My point is that you need to look past the rankings and records to see what he did build.

X-Era
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
No he didn't. My point is that you need to look past the rankings and records to see what he did build.
Yeah. I mean he gets credit for taking one of the worst college teams and making them at least a bowl team. He gets that credit. It is significant.

I like the up tempo offense he will bring.

I like the NFL experience.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
He built a middle of the pack team in a middle of the pack conference.
welcome to middle of the pack NFL.
oh well I guess that's an improvement from bottom of the pack NFL.

the only positive I can find is that I'm less disappointed then I was 3 years ago when they announced Chan Gailey.... That was a worse hire then this.

DynaPaul
01-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Dear Lord, I hope this one works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Lord, I hope this one works out.

Historian
01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Yeah. I mean he gets credit for taking one of the worst college teams and making them at least a bowl team. He gets that credit. It is significant.

By that logic, we should have hired Turner Gill...

X-Era
01-06-2013, 09:16 AM

the only positive I can find is that I'm less disappointed then I was 3 years ago when they announced Chan Gailey.... That was a worse hire then this.I think that is a fair assessment of Syracuse. But, he did turn that team around and he did win those bowl games.

His Syracuse success makes me like him a little. Not as much as many.

But I like the NFL experience and the offensive scheme he likes better.

I can convince myself I like him better than Chip Kelly because:

NFL experience and a very aggressive offensive scheme > No NFL experience and a stellar offensive scheme

JoeMama
01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
If we wanted a former coordinator who became a mediocre college HC, why not go after Ron Zook?

Not sure I like this move.

I'll give it a fair shake though.

Dude
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Would it have made a difference if this hire was next year when Syracuse is in the ACC? The accomplishments are the same.

He may turn out to be the worst hire in Bills history. But I'm more optimistic about him than Gailey, Jauron, Mularkey, or Williams simply based upon what he was able to do in just 4 years at Syracuse.

coastal
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Mixed feelings...

Positives
- worked for Peyton
- good coaching pedigree
- did turn around what was a God awful college program
- if we draft Nassib the coach to QB learning curve is nonexistent based on already working together.

Question Marks
- questionable NFL high level (coordinator or above) coaching experience.
- comes from a lower quality collegiate division.
- difficult to hire legitimate coordinators and positional coaches with a head coach who lacks high level experience.

better days
I won't jump all over the guy if or when we go 5-11 in 2013 since I'm pretty much expecting that regardless of who we were bringing in...unless he looks completely lost out there, which I'm gonna assume he won't.

Well, I am invoking a new no tolerance policy myself. I will no longer accept excuses for this team, I have done so for far too long.

Brandon said the Bills brand is tarnished & this hire did NOTHING to change that.

X-Era
Would it have made a difference if this hire was next year when Syracuse is in the ACC? The accomplishments are the same.

He may turn out to be the worst hire in Bills history. But I'm more optimistic about him than Gailey, Jauron, Mularkey, or Williams simply based upon what he was able to do in just 4 years at Syracuse.His record with Cuse this year was one game better than your average Gailey GT year. And Gailey won bowl games too.

But, to be fair Gailey walked into a much better squad at GT.

Like I said, the improvement he made at Syracuse is significant. And it's way more impressive than anything Gailey ever did at GT.

dannyek71
Who did you want to hire?

As a Cuse fan, I really like this hire even though it means SU is now out a coach.

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
You're not getting it. Saying that he didn't make the calls at NO is NOT a success story. That's a negative if you want to call it that.

If there is anything he did right was turning around a football program. That's a positive. So if you want to talk about whats positive about this guy, it's his tenure at SU. BUt since you don't like the hire, you forget what he did there and use something else to make him look bad.

I'll tell you this much, no matter if it was Whisenhunt, Lovie, McCoy, Marrone, any of them would be better than keeping your beloved Gailey.

K first of all I clearly mentioned his tenure as OC as a non-proving fact of his value. Second, you say he turned around a football program, sure he took a bad program and made them somewhat decent. A positive is that he had the offense ranked 18th overall in the NCAA in total offense. That's a decent stat for a program that might not get good recruits.

As for me criticizing ANY hire the Bills make to justify Gailey, that is not how I operate. I thought keeping Gailey would help us next year when we get a new QB or QBs and allow us to take a step forward. However, now that he is gone all I want to see is a good replacement.

I did not want Wisenhunt for sure. I was intrigued by Chip Kelly. I definitely wanted Reid or Smith. Marrone is someone who I look at and think, what has this guy rely done? Chip Kelly for example has not much notable talent on his team. Barely any first or second rounders, yet his team rarely loses more than 1-2 games per season.

Basically, Marrone is GIANT question mark, and for a team that is in desperate need of success and for a team that cannot afford to mess up this hire, is Marrone really the guy we should be signing?

Way too many questions for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years.

dannyek71
01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
His record with Cuse this year was one game better than your average Gailey GT year. And Gailey won bowl games too.

Like I said, the improvement he made at Syracuse is significant. And it's way more impressive than anything Gailey ever did at GT.

When he started, SU couldn't beat the school for the blind. His last year, they clobbered the #10 team in the country and led them to a convincing middle-teir bowl win.

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
His record with Cuse this year was one game better than your average Gailey GT year. And Gailey won bowl games too.

Gailey had plenty of NFL experience as OC for several good offenses and also HC at Dallas.

dannyek71
01-06-2013, 09:24 AM
K first of all I clearly mentioned his tenure as OC as a non-proving fact of his value. Second, you say he turned around a football program, sure he took a bad program and made them somewhat decent. A positive is that he had the offense ranked 18th overall in the NCAA in total offense. That's a decent stat for a program that might not get good recruits.

As for me criticizing ANY hire the Bills make to justify Gailey, that is not how I operate. I thought keeping Gailey would help us next year when we get a new QB or QBs and allow us to take a step forward. However, now that he is gone all I want to see is a good replacement.

I did not want Wisenhunt for sure. I was intrigued by Chip Kelly. I definitely wanted Reid or Smith. Marrone is someone who I look at and think, what has this guy rely done? Chip Kelly for example has not much notable talent on his team. Barely any first or second rounders, yet his team rarely loses more than 1-2 games per season.

Basically, Marrone is GIANT question mark, and for a team that is in desperate need of success and for a team that cannot afford to mess up this hire, is Marrone really the guy we should be signing?

Maybe Chip Kelly said No to us?

YardRat
01-06-2013, 09:29 AM

I'm with you on this. Probably one step back next season, before we see if he can make two steps forward.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, I am invoking a new no tolerance policy myself. I will no longer accept excuses for this team, I have done so for far too long.

Brandon said the Bills brand is tarnished & this hire did NOTHING to change that.

NO hire is going to change that unless they win, and regardless of WHO they hired the results still remain to be seen.

Super-Mario's signing created a ****-ton of buzz for the 'brand', but it didn't clean up the stink of the defense.

JoeMama
01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I feel nothing.

Billz_fan
01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Im assuming the Bills are a shoe in for an invite to the New Era Pinstripe bowl.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 09:37 AM

let me simplify this for you Mahdi, you don't use a negative and call it an achievement when there are positive achievements you can use. You're just not making sense.

You don't call MArv Levy a crappy HC based on what he did at KC when you ignore what he did at buffalo.

Ingtar33
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
better then lovie smith and ken wisenhunt.

I'll take it... it's the first bills head coaching hire in a long time where i don't feel a gag reflex on reading the news... so that's better then nothing.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Im assuming the Bills are a shoe in for an invite to the New Era Pinstripe bowl.

With the way this team does things they would be lucky to qualify for the Mineral Water Bowl where they would fumble away the game against Mo West.

cookie G
01-06-2013, 10:03 AM
By that logic, we should have hired Turner Gill...

Gill's gonna be OC.

If they can get him away from the Liberty University Fightin' Falwells.

Wolffman
01-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Good hire. Will bring a new flavor to NFL, something we need. Turned around a embarrassing Syracuse team and made them respectable. Not as sexy of a hire as Kelly but he does have more NFL experience/connections.

Most importantly, he's not a reject. He didn't get fired from his last job.

Don't Panic
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Mixed feelings...

Positives
- worked for Peyton
- good coaching pedigree
- did turn around what was a God awful college program
- if we draft Nassib the coach to QB learning curve is nonexistent based on already working together.

Question Marks
- questionable NFL high level (coordinator or above) coaching experience.
- comes from a lower quality collegiate division.
- difficult to hire legitimate coordinators and positional coaches with a head coach who lacks high level experience.

a fair assessment. Even those of us who like the pick have to admit there is a decent amount if risk here. But I feel like that's what it's going to take at this point... a gamble. Look, the next wave of coaches have to come from somewhere. This guy has a combination if qualities and experience to think he might be successful. Plus, there is a much better than even chance that Cowher/Reid/Gruden/Kelly would never entertain the job, so you have to be realistic about who we had a chance at.

Kelly is the appropriate comparison given their recent history. So how would Kelly have faired at Syracuse had he taken over at the same time? Would Marrone have had the same success at Oregon? Probably not, but I'm not sure the drop off would be that great.

cookie G
01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Extensive search....lol

A shocker.

East Syracuse native Russ Brandon, a member of the Syracuse Sports Management Board, selects the Syracuse head coach.

Jim Boeheim must have said no.

So glad to see Russ isn't getting involved in the football decisions.

imbondz
01-06-2013, 10:17 AM
hmmm. when was the last time a coach took a horrible college team, turned them into a mediocre 8-5 team, then made it big in the NFL. it'd be interesting to see that list.

I love what he's done at SU, cuz i'm an SU guy, but...if turning around a college team was the requirement, why not go for Charlie Strong who turned Louisville into a potential top 5 team next year? Or a coach who turned a team into a consistently winning team. I have no idea, just a strange hire, seems totally random. Says mediocre all over it to me, but hopefully i'm wrong. In my opinion, his hire automatically needs 5 years to do anything here.

GingerP
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM

LOL. I like the ability to be an optimist and pessimist in one sentence.

Bunion
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Very happy that all the Whisenhunt bull**** was bull****.

The Natrix
01-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Works for me. Of the candidates the Bills were rumored to have spoken with, he was my first choice.

Saying the Cuse turnaround wasn't impressive because they were not a national power house just shows how little you followed the Orange. Before he took over, the team was beyond awful. Top recruits were obviously not coming there. He's a good coach, not a miracle worker.

The Natrix
01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Very happy that all the Whisenhunt bull**** was bull****.

Me too. And Lovie Smith as well. Every Bear fan I knew could not stand him as a coach. He was probably the most disliked guy on my facebook feed over the last few years.

The Jokeman
01-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Fitting many of us are "wearing" paper bags and we know have a HC with ties to the New Orleans Saints. I have to say I don't like this hire one bit.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
What do you think he will do staff wise? we let go all of the old staff where are his connections at around the NFL and NCAA?

kishoph
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
You would think that there's a reason that he was on 4 teams radar for head coach or that he has received praises from Bill Parcells, Sean Payton and Herm Edwards or that he was the 1st assistant Payton brought with him to the Saints, or that no one in the mainstream media has anything negative to say about the hire, but there isn't, because we know all the miserable pessimistic "Bills fans" must be right.

acehole
01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
My concern is our defense lost us Lot of games...for this to work we really need a Defensive mind to run better then it did. They way under achieved.

Ho
is this supposed to bring confidence to us? We got yet another HC with no prior HC experience. He was an OC 4 years ago who just happened to have a future HoF QB.

Historian
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm with you on this. Probably one step back next season, before we see if he can make two steps forward.

:rofl:

How many more steps backward can one franchise possibly take?

Skooby
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
We're heading towards .500 someday, I can feel it coming.

Historian
01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Plus, there is a much better than even chance that Cowher/Reid/Gruden/Kelly would never entertain the job, so you have to be realistic about who we had a chance at.

Bull****!!!!!!

This is professional sports.

You have to PAY to get winners.

Wave 10 million under their noses, and they would come.

This is a typical, bargain-basement move, by one of the worst teams in the league.

Brandon is selling you another lemon, just like he did in 2010.

chubluv
01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
What do all of you want? It seems apparent that no matter what the Bills would have/ could have offered Chip he didnt want to come here. Hopefully Russ & Doug can make Chip regret his choice. Lets get behind the new regime hope for the best.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
You would think that there's a reason that he was on 4 teams radar for head coach or that he has received praises from Bill Parcells, Sean Payton and Herm Edwards or that he was the 1st assistant Payton brought with him to the Saints, or that no one in the mainstream media has anything negative to say about the hire, but there isn't, because we know all the miserable pessimistic "Bills fans" must be right.

When is the last time the optimists have been right?

Slim
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Optimists clamored for Steve Johnson's playing time. Just like many had written off CJ Spiller before the end of last season. Optimists aren't right most of the time, but neither are the pessimists. It's a crap shoot.

better days
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
What do all of you want? It seems apparent that no matter what the Bills would have/ could have offered Chip he didnt want to come here. Hopefully Russ & Doug can make Chip regret his choice. Lets get behind the new regime hope for the best.

For me, all hope is GONE.

better days
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Well, don't look at me. I was very opptimistic when I chose the user name better days. I spent far too much time & energy defending people & moves of this team that proved they did not warrant it. My optimism about this team is GONE. I admit I was WRONG.

Time to eat Crow.

acehole
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I am hearing this is NOT a done deal......

Stay tuned.

Well, don't look at me. I was very opptimistic when I chose the user name better days. I spent far too much time & energy defending people & moves of this team that proved they did not warrant it. My optimism about this team is GONE. I admit I was WRONG.

Time to eat Crow.

YardRat
01-06-2013, 11:26 AM

Please.

A repeat of '67-'72 (six consecutive seasons 4 wins or less), or '84-'85 (consecutive 2-14 seasons) would be a definite step backward. Don't expect it, but that's how far back they could go.

Don't Panic
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
An angle from someone who knows better than you...

http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/2013/01/marrone-good-choice-to-rebuild-buffalo.html?m=1

jamze132
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Dude, they went all the way over to Syracuse!!!

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Dude, they went all the way over to Syracuse!!!

That's what a two hour trip? Damn two hours, **** you might even have to stop and get something to eat so thats like a six hour round trip.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM

The only column that matters is the W/L column. Regardless of who we were hired, with that absurd schedule we have facing us, NO ONE was gonna do better than 5-11. We have no QB. We have no LBers. We have a weak Secondary overall. One single head coach wasn't gonna come out and get this team to an improvement in the W/L column next year so 5-11 would technically be a step back.

Now if we go a full season with this guy and in 2014 we're .500 of worse, we likely made the wrong decision.

I've considered 2013 a throwaway season since week 12 and looking at the schedule we were gonna draw. It was also part of the reason why I wanted Gailey fired now as keeping him would have just delayed an inevitable midseason firing.

Make no mistake about it, 2013 is going to be a developmental season. No one in the organization will admit it because they want to sell tickets but it is what it is. We could have hired Gruden or Cowher or Chip Kelly and it would have been a developmental season.

kishoph
01-06-2013, 12:19 PM

the only positive I can find is that I'm less disappointed then I was 3 years ago when they announced Chan Gailey.... That was a worse hire then this.

Saying that Syracuse was a middle of the pack team is really reaching, they were one of the worst teams in the Country before Marrone took over.

A shocker.

East Syracuse native Russ Brandon, a member of the Syracuse Sports Management Board, selects the Syracuse head coach.

Jim Boeheim must have said no.

So glad to see Russ isn't getting involved in the football decisions.

So the other 3 teams that were interested in Marrone must be ran by Syracuse Alum also ? You surprise me, for someone that has such great football lineage, can be so football ignorant.

kingJofNYC
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I am hearing this is NOT a done deal......

Stay tuned.

hahahaha

biggest roll player

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Saying that Syracuse was a middle of the pack team is really reaching, they were one of the worst teams in the Country before Marrone took over.

So the other 3 teams that were interested in Marrone must be ran by Syracuse Alum also ? You surprise me, for someone that has such great football lineage, can be so football ignorant.

a 500 record and no bcs appearence in a terrible conf is turning it around? look, it's an interesting hire, and cuse was really bad, but lets not pretend curse was never relevant and had no base in ny... cuse was very good in the 90s and had a couple big time years... stop pretending they are eastern michigan

any normal avg coach could have done that...

Don't Panic
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM
The only column that matters is the W/L column. Regardless of who we were hired, with that absurd schedule we have facing us, NO ONE was gonna do better than 5-11. We have no QB. We have no LBers. We have a weak Secondary overall. One single head coach wasn't gonna come out and get this team to an improvement in the W/L column next year so 5-11 would technically be a step back.

Now if we go a full season with this guy and in 2014 we're .500 of worse, we likely made the wrong decision.

I've considered 2013 a throwaway season since week 12 and looking at the schedule we were gonna draw. It was also part of the reason why I wanted Gailey fired now as keeping him would have just delayed an inevitable midseason firing.

Make no mistake about it, 2013 is going to be a developmental season. No one in the organization will admit it because they want to sell tickets but it is what it is. We could have hired Gruden or Cowher or Chip Kelly and it would have been a developmental season.

The QB thing is a tough problem to fix, but aside from that's don't really see any glaring weaknesses. I definitely think this team could improve by at least to games if thy can get a better QB in place.

Jaybird
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
can the bills not announce it on te website because of the playoff games? i find it interesting how they have yet to make it official

Mr. Pink
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
can the bills not announce it on te website because of the playoff games? i find it interesting how they have yet to make it official

From what GR said this morning the deal hasn't been finalized yet but it's imminent.

Dude
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
a 500 record and no bcs appearence in a terrible conf is turning it around? look, it's an interesting hire, and cuse was really bad, but lets not pretend curse was never relevant and had no base in ny... cuse was very good in the 90s and had a couple big time years... stop pretending they are eastern michigan

any normal avg coach could have done that...I've read a lot of ignorant things on Bills message boards over the past few weeks but this is pretty close to the worst. Congrats.

psubills62
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
I can understand people not being very happy about this.

I don't believe his time with the Saints is that easily dismissed. I heard the same things about Bill O'Brien - was an OC for an offense that was essentially run by the HC and QB. That's fine, and essentially true. However, even if he (and similarly, Marrone), can't claim credit for the success of that offense, that doesn't mean he learned nothing while he was there.

I don't know if Marrone is an "under the radar" hire (yes, they do exist, whether people want to admit it or not), or if he's just another cheap head coach. However, I'm willing to wait and see who he hires for the staff, what decisions he makes. Maybe it's just me, but that seems the best way to judge him, especially since he's never been in the position of NFL HC until now.

Tatonka
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
sure you wont.....

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I've read a lot of ignorant things on Bills message boards over the past few weeks but this is pretty close to the worst. Congrats.

I don't see how its the worst comment...?

Its certainly a fair one, Marrone turned a bad program into an average one that is not exactly a glowing resume. Neither is being the OC for Sean Payton and Drew Brees.

Actually if you want to look at Marrone best achievement it was not Syracuse win/loss record, it was the Total Offense national rank of 18th in 2012. Which if you are arguing for him would be pretty good considering they were ranked 115 in 2008. However they were ranked 90 or lower in 2011, 2010, 2009, so was this just a fortunate year for Marrone?

Which is exactly where my point lies with this hire, you have a guy who took a crappy program and made it average, he had a top 20 ranked offense this year but below 90th all other years he was there, he was OC for the Saints when they were huge but Payton called the plays and Brees had power to change them at the line. So basically everything he did comes with a huge question mark....

Is that the hire you want for a team that is not that far off and hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years...? That's another massive "?"

GingerP
01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
People are being ridiculous.

There is no arguing this guy was the best Syracuse coach since Paul Pasqualoni.

Dude
01-06-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't see how its the worst comment...?

Its certainly a fair one, Marrone turned a bad program into an average one that is not exactly a glowing resume. Neither is being the OC for Sean Payton and Drew Brees.

Actually if you want to look at Marrone best achievement it was not Syracuse win/loss record, it was the Total Offense national rank of 18th in 2012. Which if you are arguing for him would be pretty good considering they were ranked 115 in 2008. However they were ranked 90 or lower in 2011, 2010, 2009, so was this just a fortunate year for Marrone?

Which is exactly where my point lies with this hire, you have a guy who took a crappy program and made it average, he had a top 20 ranked offense this year but below 90th all other years he was there, he was OC for the Saints when they were huge but Payton called the plays and Brees had power to change them at the line. So basically everything he did comes with a huge question mark....

Is that the hire you want for a team that is not that far off and hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years...? That's another massive "?"Didn't say it was the worst. Close to it though.

Every legit candidate had question marks. None were perfect. No matter who they picked most people would find something to ***** about. Fine. At least know what you're talking about when you try to find faults with the guy.

imbondz
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
the only thing that makes me not hate this hire completely is he was the OC during the Saints SB win. That's huge to me. He was around a successful franchise that did everything possible to win, including paying players to knock other teams players ankles and knees out. So, I can come around to this hire. It'll be more important who he surrounds himself with OC/DC wise.

Tatonka
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
i guess i will be in the minority and say i am OK with the hire. i am causiously optimistic. here are the things i like...

- the style of offense he runs.. i love up tempo, no huddle.. i think we can all agree that it takes us back to the years kelly ran the kgun and will be welcomed in buffalo.
- the style of defense he runs.. what we were all clamoring for all season.. bring the heat.. blitz.. pressure.. aggressive.
- the former nfl experience, as a player and a coach. people can debate what value that experience has, but at least what he was involved in was highly successful, regardless of the actual involvement.
- highly respected by some significant peers.. i get that endorsements dont equal success, but at least the endorsements are coming from some of the best in the business, like tuna and peyton.
-There were also several other teams interested in the guy. its not like he was pulled off of a scrap heap. he is not a guy that was canned for not getting the job done.. yes, he is an unknown as an nfl coach.. as opposed to a known failure like the likes of wiz and lovie. if we would have hired the, the same negative comments would have been pointed out. There was no one that the bills could have hired that would have made EVERYONE happy..

people will embrace him if he delivers a winner.. people will hate him if he doesnt. doesnt matter who the coach is.. the same applies.

so the bigger question is, what does he need to be successful. Well its pretty obviously, he needs good coaches around him and good players.. the top of that list is a qb.. is Nassib the answer? i have no clue. i will say that i liked nassib as an option before we made this hire. so if he is the guy and he walks in and knows the system, significantly reducing the learning curve, then great. if its geno smith or whoever.. it is just like any other team. if you have a good qb, your coach looks great.. if you dont have a good qb, the coach ends up in the unemployment line.

my point is that i dont think we are in a position to make any judgement yet because no one knows who our qb and coordinators are.. any conclusion before those decisions are made are worthless.

I was vocal about wanting Kelly.. ill get over it.. because honestly, the main reason that i wanted kelly was due to the type of offense he ran.. and Marrone runs the same thing.. if nothing else, i just want the games to be fun to watch. i think they will be.

so i will be the optimistic fool i guess.. but right now, we havent made any mistakes that i can **** on.

Slim
01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
This was the right choice imo. We dont need another retread failed HC. We need a young innovative mind that proved he can already change a losing culture. Cuse was one of the worst teams in CFB with Greg Robinson, Marrone turned the program around in 3 years. He might be more risky than Lovie but why settle for mediocre? Take a chance and try to score big, after all the goal is a ring.

Sorry for the grammar here guys. I just-re-read the original post and it hurt my brain. I sent this from my phone and the spell correct screwed things up a bit.

Mahdi
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
i guess i will be in the minority and say i am OK with the hire. i am causiously optimistic. here are the things i like...

- the style of offense he runs.. i love up tempo, no huddle.. i think we can all agree that it takes us back to the years kelly ran the kgun and will be welcomed in buffalo.
- the style of defense he runs.. what we were all clamoring for all season.. bring the heat.. blitz.. pressure.. aggressive.
- the former nfl experience, as a player and a coach. people can debate what value that experience has, but at least what he was involved in was highly successful, regardless of the actual involvement.
- highly respected by some significant peers.. i get that endorsements dont equal success, but at least the endorsements are coming from some of the best in the business, like tuna and peyton.
-There were also several other teams interested in the guy. its not like he was pulled off of a scrap heap. he is not a guy that was canned for not getting the job done.. yes, he is an unknown as an nfl coach.. as opposed to a known failure like the likes of wiz and lovie. if we would have hired the, the same negative comments would have been pointed out. There was no one that the bills could have hired that would have made EVERYONE happy..

people will embrace him if he delivers a winner.. people will hate him if he doesnt. doesnt matter who the coach is.. the same applies.

so the bigger question is, what does he need to be successful. Well its pretty obviously, he needs good coaches around him and good players.. the top of that list is a qb.. is Nassib the answer? i have no clue. i will say that i liked nassib as an option before we made this hire. so if he is the guy and he walks in and knows the system, significantly reducing the learning curve, then great. if its geno smith or whoever.. it is just like any other team. if you have a good qb, your coach looks great.. if you dont have a good qb, the coach ends up in the unemployment line.

my point is that i dont think we are in a position to make any judgement yet because no one knows who our qb and coordinators are.. any conclusion before those decisions are made are worthless.

I was vocal about wanting Kelly.. ill get over it.. because honestly, the main reason that i wanted kelly was due to the type of offense he ran.. and Marrone runs the same thing.. if nothing else, i just want the games to be fun to watch. i think they will be.

so i will be the optimistic fool i guess.. but right now, we havent made any mistakes that i can **** on.

His defense was ranked 47th in the country. So not exactly a selling point for Marrone. Hopefully he's not bringing along his coordinators.

Tatonka
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
sorry for the essay.. i just started typing.. didnt realize it was that long.

Tatonka
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
again, i agree, the OC and DC are key.. but its not that i think he is going to bring his exact DC with him.. its that i like the style of defense he prefers.

imbondz
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8818492

imbondz
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8817982

Don't Panic
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Chargers too, huh? Wow, that makes 4 NFL teams that don't know what the **** they're talking about. Thank God we have an enlightened crew here who chime in regularly to remind us they know better... from their mom's basement no less.

notacon
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Doug Marrone?!?!?

Seriuosly???

The Bills extend their amazing streak of making incredibly bad decisions anytime an important opportunity comes along.

15 years of unparalleled ineptitude.

Nublar7
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Why did the Bills hire a coach that was worse in college than Chan Gailey? Curious hire when so many better candidates were on the market.

imbondz
01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Why did the Bills hire a coach that was worse in college than Chan Gailey? Curious hire when so many better candidates were on the market.

come on man, he completely turned the Syracuse Orangemen football program around.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Still clueless as usual nubs!

paladin warrior
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
:down:

Nublar7
01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
come on man, he completely turned the Syracuse Orangemen football program around.
From where Syracuse was before him, I agree with you, he improved that university. Still though, 25-25 in four years in the Big East doesn't really make you NFL head coach quality. Maybe we works out for the Bills, but there are no Pinstripe Bowl games in the NFL.

Mike McCoy, Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, Mike Holmgren, Jay Gruden, etc. and they hire Marrone? Again, not saying it will be a bust of a hire just seems like a curious one at this moment. He does live in Western New York, so maybe location played a big part in the hire. As a Dolphins fan, and I am sure Patriots and Jets fans agree, this hire doesn't really scare the rest of the division. Good luck with Marrone.

doug45
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
We really needed Chip......

TigerJ
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM

I would not put myself in exactly the same category. I would simply call myself "open-minded" at this point. I have to admit that I am completely blown away by the closemindedness I'm seeing from Bills fans about this hire. On one level, I can understand it. I think that well over a decade of mediocrity from the Bills has robbed just about everyone of patience and optimism. We have seen a degree of negativity directed toward every Bills interviewee but one. Nobody has criticized Ray Horton that I can recall, but I suspect that may only be because he wasn't taken seriously as a real prospect.

For myself, I said I was "wary" of Chip Kelly because he had no NFL experience of any kind and I didn't know what kind of NFL contacts he might have when it came to hiring assistants. He would need some one from the NFL on his staff to help him conform to the CBA and relate to professional players. I could have lived with any one of them until they proved themselves to be incompetent.

As far as Doug Marrone is concerned, I don't really know what to expect. I regard his OC experience under Sean Payton to be a positive regardless of the fact he apparently did not call the offensive plays. I'm assuming he had some kind of input into the NO offense that contributed to its lofty ranking. The fact that Sean Payton respects him so highly is a pretty good recommendation given that Payton is one of the best offensive minds in the league. As I understand, he was very hands on at Syracuse. He really made it his program. I understand the criticism that Syracuse is not an elite college program. Clearly it was in the dregs of college football, and Marrone improved it a lot. If I were to grade the job he did at Syracuse, I would give in an "incomplete." It would be wonderfully informative to see what he could have done with the program in 6 or 8 years, but alas, Buffalo needed a new coach this year.

So, here he is, Doug Marrone, new head coach of the Buffalo Bills. In my own mind I've given every coach the Bills hired three years to show whether he could get things turned around. I'll give Marrone no less. I won't tell anyone else how they should feel. I'm pretty sure no one will listen to me anyway. I think the Bills know that the fan base is about as near to open rebellion as a fan base can possibly be, and I think they know that the only way to really change that is by winning. I can't believe they are being cheap about hiring a head coach. A few million dollars that would separate a "cheap coach" and the best coach money can buy is chump change compared with the contract they gave one player (Mario Williams), and chump change compared to the money the organization could make in both ticket sales and merchandise sales if they could creat e a winner. So, I'll watch and wait and hope for the best.

SquishDaFish
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
From where Syracuse was before him, I agree with you, he improved that university. Still though, 25-25 in four years in the Big East doesn't really make you NFL head coach quality. Maybe we works out for the Bills, but there are no Pinstripe Bowl games in the NFL.

Mike McCoy, Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, Mike Holmgren, Jay Gruden, etc. and they hire Marrone? Again, not saying it will be a bust of a hire just seems like a curious one at this moment. He does live in Western New York, so maybe location played a big part in the hire. As a Dolphins fan, and I am sure Patriots and Jets fans agree, this hire doesn't really scare the rest of the division. Good luck with Marrone.

Once again your wrong. Every NE and Jets fan I talked to that I know are praising the move. Sorry dont know many people who admit to being a Teal fan

Cleve
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Can I take a wild guess that Marrone comes with a considerably lower price tag than any of the other widely discussed coaching options available?

Russ Brandon Regime= a repackaged Ralph Wilson Regime. This is a continuation of the holding pattern for the team, until a new owner steps in, and in the interim trying to maximize profits with minimum or crafty expenditures. That's what Brandon does - he's a bean counting marketing type. Besides, Brandon has been a highly placed member of the Bills Management for almost this entire squalid losing streak of the Bills. The notion that he'll 'turn it around' is just a marketing ploy for the gullible. Brandon has been instrumental in helping shape the personnel and team policies that have resulted in losing season after losing season.

This will generate a lot of ticket sales and interest - bank on it. That's all Brandon cares about - he's not building a champion team or a winning culture - he's trying to maximize short term return on investment (ROI)

The support for Marrone's hire both here and in the media sounds an awful lot to me like the old Russell's Tea Pot philosophic argument repackaged. Ergo, since Marrone has no real NFL track record as a head coach we must therefore accept the notion advanced by Brandon and "The Faithful" that he will be brilliant as an NFL coach simply because we (the skeptics) have no evidence to disprove said notion due to the aforementioned lack by Marrone of NFL experience. (And I'm discounting the N.O. experience since it seems like Brees and Payton really ran that offense)

MTBillsFan
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I think this is going to be a great fit for the Bills! This is a nice change from old man Chan.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Can I take a wild guess that Marrone comes with a considerably lower price tag than any of the other widely discussed coaching options available?

Russ Brandon Regime= a repackaged Ralph Wilson Regime. This is a continuation of the holding pattern for the team, until a new owner steps in, and in the interim trying to maximize profits with minimum or crafty expenditures. That's what Brandon does - he's a bean counting marketing type. Besides, Brandon has been a highly placed member of the Bills Management for almost this entire squalid losing streak of the Bills. The notion that he'll 'turn it around' is just a marketing ploy for the gullible. Brandon has been instrumental in helping shape the personnel and team policies that have resulted in losing season after losing season.

This will generate a lot of ticket sales and interest - bank on it. That's all Brandon cares about - he's not building a champion team or a winning culture - he's trying to maximize short term return on investment (ROI)

The support for Marrone's hire both here and in the media sounds an awful lot to me like the old Russell's Tea Pot philosophic argument repackaged. Ergo, since Marrone has no real NFL track record as a head coach we must therefore accept the notion advanced by Brandon and "The Faithful" that he will be brilliant as an NFL coach simply because we (the skeptics) have no evidence to disprove said notion due to the aforementioned lack by Marrone of NFL experience. (And I'm discounting the N.O. experience since it seems like Brees and Payton really ran that offense)

Chargers, Browns and Eagles were bring cheap too? they were interested in him as well. Or maybe he's cheap all of a sudden because we got him. Don't forget, ralph tried to get Shanahan and Cowher but they didn't bite. Ralph also wanted Sherman who was a big named /expensive HC at the time but Marv talked him into Dick. So there goes your theory.

And once again, unlike Chan MArrone was wanted by other teams so there goes your theory again.

Typ0
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Chargers, Browns and Eagles were bring cheap too? they were interested in him as well. Or maybe he's cheap all of a sudden because we got him. Don't forget, ralph tried to get Shanahan and Cowher but they didn't bite. Ralph also wanted Sherman who was a big named /expensive HC at the time but Marv talked him into Dick. So there goes your theory.

And once again, unlike Chan MArrone was wanted by other teams so there goes your theory again.

Really Justa that whole other teams were interested too spin is just that ... spin. It's a matter of you wash my back I'll wash yours I'm pretty certain. When Brandon gave his win one for the Gipper speech he already knew what coach he was going to hire....

better days
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm with TypO. If ANY other team REALLY wanted him, why did they not go HARD after him & get him?

psubills62
01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm with TypO. If ANY other team REALLY wanted him, why did they not go HARD after him & get him?
You have got to be kidding me.

I didn't realize we had so many insiders on this board that have been holding out on us. Good grief.

better days
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

I didn't realize we had so many insiders on this board that have been holding out on us. Good grief.

I NEVER claimed to be an insider! I am just asking questions & giving my opinion. Which is I HATE this hire.....................just in case anyone did not get that by now.

psubills62
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
I NEVER claimed to be an insider! I am just asking questions & giving my opinion. Which is I HATE this hire.....................just in case anyone did not get that by now.
Maybe it's just me, but when you pretend that you know a team didn't go after someone hard (when nothing to that effect has been reported, in fact implications to the opposite have indeed been reported), then you're acting like an insider.

As to why they didn't hire him...well, didn't realize it took a MENSA member to figure out it's because the Bills hired him.

better days
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
And when the Season starts, I will not be the first to pile on. Only because I don't want to be squished under the HUGE pile. But pile on, I will.

better days
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but when you pretend that you know a team didn't go after someone hard (when nothing to that effect has been reported, in fact implications to the opposite have indeed been reported), then you're acting like an insider.

As to why they didn't hire him...well, didn't realize it took a MENSA member to figure out it's because the Bills hired him.

PLEASE, do you really think ANY other team went hard at him? You definitely do not belong to MENSA if so.

Why would any team but the Bills go hard after a BIG EAST HC with a 25-25 record?

psubills62
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
PLEASE, do you really thik ANY other team went hard at him? You definately do not belong to MENSA if so.
I don't know if they did, but I also don't know if they didn't. The only reports we have is that the Browns, Eagles, and Chargers interviewed him, and that he was the Browns' second choice (at worst) to Chip Kelly. The only further information you've got is that the Bills hired him. Pretty far jump to say none of those teams went after him hard. Fact is we don't have enough information to conclude any of that.

But I think it's safe to say that the logic you're using (if a team didn't hire someone, they didn't go after him hard) is hardly reasonable.

better days
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't know if they did, but I also don't know if they didn't. The only reports we have is that the Browns, Eagles, and Chargers interviewed him, and that he was the Browns' second choice (at worst) to Chip Kelly. The only further information you've got is that the Bills hired him. Pretty far jump to say none of those teams went after him hard. Fact is we don't have enough information to conclude any of that.

But I think it's safe to say that the logic you're using (if a team didn't hire someone, they didn't go after him hard) is hardly reasonable.

I REALLY doubt any SEC team would go hard after a BIG EAST HC with a 25-25 record, let alone an NFL team. Now, that is LOGIC.

Dude
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Tampa Bay hired Greg schiano away from Rutgers. His record? 68-67.

psubills62
01-06-2013, 10:26 PM
I REALLY doubt any SEC team would go hard after a BIG EAST HC with a 25-25 record, let alone an NFL team. Now, that is LOGIC.
I guess to you it might be. Sorry, but I use evidence, such as four NFL teams interviewed him and one is close to hiring him. Four teams were interested in him. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. You can make conclusions all you want and claim they're logical, but they're not.

better days
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Tampa Bay hired Greg schiano away from Rutgers. His record? 68-67.

Yeah, & the Bucs are my second team to the Bills. looks like I am in for some CRAPPY football next year.

Dude
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Yeah, & the Bucs are my second team to the Bills. looks like I am in for some CRAPPY football next year.
Kinda blows a hole in your logic, too.

better days
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I guess to you it might be. Sorry, but I use evidence, such as four NFL teams interviewed him and one is close to hiring him. Four teams were interested in him. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. You can make conclusions all you want and claim they're logical, but they're not.

Ok, you seem to be a fan of Marrone, do you expect him to get teh Bills into the playoffs in the next year?.....................or the next 2 years? .............or the next 3 years? If he does not get the Bills into the playoffs in the next 2 years that will be 15 years of LOSING. Think about it, 15 years. I feel SORRY for Bills fans young & old alike. The young because they have only known losing & the old because they may die before they see the Bills win again.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I cant wait to hear him in his presser i would like to know what his plans are for this team going forward as well as his position on who he is going to bring in here to coach the god awful D that we currently have.

better days
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Kinda blows a hole in your logic, too.

How so? He did have one more win, LOL. But I can tell you, NOBODY is cutting Schiano any slack down here. If the Bucs fail to make the playoffs next year, I doubt he sees another season. And the Bucs have not been the perennial losers the Bills have.

psubills62
01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Ok, you seem to be a fan of Marrone, do you expect him to get teh Bills into the playoffs in the next year?.....................or the next 2 years? .............or the next 3 years? If he does not get the Bills into the playoffs in the next 2 years that will be 15 years of LOSING. Think about it, 15 years. I feel SORRY for Bills fans young & old alike. The young because they have only known losing & the old because they may die before they see the Bills win again.
I'm not making any judgments on the hire right now, which you'll find is consistent with my other posts. I'm going to wait and see how he handles being HC to decide exactly how I feel about him. I'll wait to see who he hires on his coaching staff, what kind of personnel decisions he makes, results on the field, etc. Seems only fair for a first-time NFL HC.

Dude
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
How so? He did have one more win, LOL. But I can tell you, NOBODY is cutting Schiano any slack down here. If the Bucs fail to make the playoffs next year, I doubt he sees another season. And the Bucs have not been the perennial losers the Bills have.
You said you didn't think an NFL team would go hard after a Big East coach with a .500 record. Schiano was a Big East coach with a .500 record (ok, .504, but who's counting?).

psubills62
01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Some interesting quotes from Adam Schefter in the video in this article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8817962/doug-marrone-new-buffalo-bills-coach-leaves-syracuse-orange-sources-say.

Marrone did a "comprehensive film study" on all the teams he was interviewing with. Decided that of all four teams, the Bills had "the most talent." Also said that with Bill O'Brien returning to PSU, and Chip Kelly on the fence, "Doug Marrone was the most in-demand college head coach out there."

But yeah, I guess that interest was all "spin" (not sure who was doing the spinning - Schefter?).

better days
01-06-2013, 10:54 PM
You said you didn't think an NFL team would go hard after a Big East coach with a .500 record. Schiano was a Big East coach with a .500 record (ok, .504, but who's counting?).

Well, aside from the overall record, Schiano did go 10-2, won a bowl game & a couple Coach of the year honors before the Bucs hired him. His last year at Rutgers was MUCH better than any year Marrone has had at Cuse.

better days
01-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, is ANY Cuse/Marrone fan willing to man up & say he will lead the Bills to the playoffs next year? That is really the only thing that matters isn't it? WINNING! Does ANYONE think the Bills will win under Marrone next year?????????

Dude
01-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, aside from the overall record, Schiano did go 10-2, won a bowl game & a couple Coach of the year honors before the Bucs hired him. His last year at Rutgers was MUCH better than any year Marrone has had at Cuse.
But he was .500 in the Big East. Marrone also won a bowl game (two, even). You're not helping yourself.

better days
01-06-2013, 11:14 PM
But he was .500 in the Big East. Marrone also won a bowl game (two, even). You're not helping yourself.

10-2 & Coach of the year honors > 8-5.

I HATE the Marrone hire & have made my feelings known. I don't expect to see the Bills in the playoffs under him. If I am wrong, I will happily eat Crow, but are any of his fans ready to stick up for him & tell me & the rest of the board he will lead the Bills to the playoffs? And be prepared to eat crow when he does not?

Mike13
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Christ you guys get one coach from a crap conference and replace him with another coach from a crap conference.

better days
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Christ you guys get one coach from a crap conference and replace him with another coach from a crap conference.

And this is what we Bills fans will have to deal with from outsiders for the next 3 years until Marrone is fired.

psubills62
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM

I HATE the Marrone hire & have made my feelings known. I don't expect to see the Bills in the playoffs under him. If I am wrong, I will happily eat Crow, but are any of his fans ready to stick up for him & tell me & the rest of the board he will lead the Bills to the playoffs? And be prepared to eat crow when he does not?
Whoa, you predicted no playoffs for the Bills? What a daredevil.

I hope Schiano sent Ray Rice a gift basket for that 11-2 year (still was only 2nd in the Big East). Took him 5 years just to sniff a 0.500 overall record. Maybe you should compare Marrone's first 4 years to Schiano's first 4 years in the name of fairness.

kingJofNYC
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
And yet Marrones team crushed the Cards who crushed the Gators.

Conference don't mean ****. Can the guy coach, we'll see

better days
01-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Whoa, you predicted no playoffs for the Bills? What a daredevil.

I hope Schiano sent Ray Rice a gift basket for that 11-2 year (still was only 2nd in the Big East). Took him 5 years just to sniff a 0.500 overall record. Maybe you should compare Marrone's first 4 years to Schiano's first 4 years in the name of fairness.

The old better days would have been all for fairness. What has fair play gotten us as Bills fans? Today, I say the hell with fair, I just want to WIN & win now.

cookie G
01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
So the other 3 teams that were interested in Marrone must be ran by Syracuse Alum also ?

I'm sure Russ' ties with Syracuse had nothing to do with the hire, especially considering the dozens and dozens of candidates he looked at.

Besides, he said he'd leave no stone unturned!! How can anyone doubt him?

You surprise me, for someone that has such great football lineage, can be so football ignorant.

Yeah, from the guy who thought the D was good this year.

I'm crushed.

CoolBreeze
01-07-2013, 03:48 AM
[QUOTE=better days;3737673]10-2 & Coach of the year honors > 8-5.
I HATE the Marrone hire & have made my feelings known. I don't expect to see the Bills in the playoffs under him. If I am wrong, I will happily eat Crow, but are any of his fans ready to stick up for him & tell me & the rest of the board he will lead the Bills to the playoffs? And be prepared to eat crow when he does not?[/QUOHTE]

That nice having your cake and eating it too.... If the Bills win you will happily eat crow, but you still win, because your a Bills fan so you will be happy. If the Bills lose you can brag and say how right you were. How about this... You and the others who are so against this hire, should vow that if the Bills win, you flame away, never to be heard of again. Eating crow is not enough. You simply can't have it both ways. Maybe you should change your username to IWantItBothWays instead of better days. It's one thing to not agree with the things the team has done, I have. But to come on a message board week after week, month after month, year after year to bash a team is quite sad.

kishoph
01-07-2013, 04:11 AM
I'm sure Russ' ties with Syracuse had nothing to do with the hire, especially considering the dozens and dozens of candidates he looked at.

Besides, he said he'd leave no stone unturned!! How can anyone doubt him?

Yeah, from the guy who thought the D was good this year.

I'm crushed.

Do you think teams look at dozen and dozens of candidates for head coach ?

Did I say they were good or that they have talent on the defense, there's a difference.

YardRat
01-07-2013, 05:29 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/1/7/3844630/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-head-coaching-search

Marrone met with the San Diego Chargers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/san-diego-chargers) on Saturday night, per Schefter, and shortly after that made up his mind to choose Buffalo.

"Marrone wanted Buffalo as much as Buffalo wanted him," says Schefter, who called Marrone the "most in-demand college coach out there" with Chip Kelly on the fence.

"In recent weeks, Marrone had done comprehensive film studies of each team he would be interviewing with - the Cleveland Browns (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cleveland-browns), Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/philadelphia-eagles), Chargers and Bills - and each game they had played this past year," Schefter continued. "He believed Buffalo had more talent than any of those other teams. It factored into his final decision, as did his relationship with the new head man of the Bills organization, Russ Brandon, who has served on the advisory board for sports management at - where else - Syracuse."

kishoph
01-07-2013, 05:35 AM
I just heard that when Syracuse was looking for a coach, Bill Polian highly recommended Doug Marrone, so we have people like Polian, Bill Parcells, Sean Payton, Herm Edwards, etc. that have praised Marrone, acting like they know better than the usual pessimist on message boards. Who do those guys think they are, what do they know about football compared to the message board experts ?

:gossips: They are all Syracuse alumnus looking to regionalize the Bills for a cheap price.

mysticsoto
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
I'll give Marrone a chance and see what he does w/the team. But if he's smart, the 1st thing he will do as a head coach is call up OL coach D'Alessandris and get him back here!!!

I'm interested also in seeing who he brings in for OC/DC. Until then, judging this a good or bad pick is incomplete.

CoolBreeze
01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I once heard a former player for the Bills say this about Marv Levy. "He wasn't a great coach, he was a great delegator of coaches" Perhaps this is Marrone method. I think the best Head Coaches have this trait.

Dude
01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm sure the Bills are very upset today that a few anonymous message board posters don't like their choice for head coach.

better days
01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=better days;3737673]10-2 & Coach of the year honors > 8-5.
I HATE the Marrone hire & have made my feelings known. I don't expect to see the Bills in the playoffs under him. If I am wrong, I will happily eat Crow, but are any of his fans ready to stick up for him & tell me & the rest of the board he will lead the Bills to the playoffs? And be prepared to eat crow when he does not?[/QUOHTE]

That nice having your cake and eating it too.... If the Bills win you will happily eat crow, but you still win, because your a Bills fan so you will be happy. If the Bills lose you can brag and say how right you were. How about this... You and the others who are so against this hire, should vow that if the Bills win, you flame away, never to be heard of again. Eating crow is not enough. You simply can't have it both ways. Maybe you should change your username to IWantItBothWays instead of better days. It's one thing to not agree with the things the team has done, I have. But to come on a message board week after week, month after month, year after year to bash a team is quite sad.

NONSENSE. I RARELY criticized the Bills prior to this hire so I was not on here year after year bashing the team. But the posters that did do that have been proven correct. If the Bills win under Marrone, I won't bash the team, if not I will do so until he is fired. You can feel free to put me on ignore if you choose.

psubills62
01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
The old better days would have been all for fairness. What has fair play gotten us as Bills fans? Today, I say the hell with fair, I just want to WIN & win now.
Huh?

JoeMama
01-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Watch this turn out to be a total piece of **** loser hire.

If Russ Brandon made the decision, it's a bad decision. Even if Marrone is a good coach.

justasportsfan
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I'll give Marrone a chance and see what he does w/the team. But if he's smart, the 1st thing he will do as a head coach is call up OL coach

I'm interested also in seeing who he brings in for OC/DC. Until then, judging this a good or bad pick is incomplete.

The first he should do is tell Nix and Whaley to re-sign Levitre at all cost. He's our best/consistent OL player.

justasportsfan
01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Really Justa that whole other teams were interested too spin is just that ... spin. It's a matter of you wash my back I'll wash yours I'm pretty certain. When Brandon gave his win one for the Gipper speech he already knew what coach he was going to hire....

Even if Russ wanted Marrone all this time, that just means he might have picked the right guy that people would have wanted to begin with. If you think other teams weren't seriously interested in him, I'll take the opinions of people that are actually paid over yours. No offense.

mysticsoto
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
The first he should do is tell Nix and Whaley to re-sign Levitre at all cost. He's our best/consistent OL player.

Levitre wants to stay, it shouldn't be difficult - I hear he's even offering a home discount advantage to stay. Current personnel is Nix's job. Especially since Marrone may not know all the players on our team yet. Nix should also keep Byrd and Kyle Moore. Prob Chad Rhinehart too (for depth). But Marrone picking his entourage of assistants is his 1st priority.

justasportsfan
01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

well Chip was most likely the top candidate but I wouldn't put it past any other team to have wanted Marrone as no.2.Unlike Chan who wasn't a no.2,3,4,5,6 on any team other than the bills.

As reported Marrone needed to be with a team that he was comfortable with (read Paytons advice to Marrone) and Russ was one of them. I'm pretty sure one of the other teams would have hired him if we didn't.

better days
01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Levitre wants to stay, it shouldn't be difficult - I hear he's even offering a home discount advantage to stay. Current personnel is Nix's job. Especially since Marrone may not know all the players on our team yet. Nix should also keep Byrd and Kyle Moore. Prob Chad Rhinehart too (for depth). But Marrone picking his entourage of assistants is his 1st priority.

Exactly. If Nix needs to be told to re-sign Levitre & the others you mentioned we are in big trouble. If Marrone assembles a good staff, he may win me over. His staff should be the priority for him.

gebobs
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
when did he coach under parcells?

He didn't as far as I can tell.

gebobs
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Vince Lombardi - Fordham University/West Point
Bill Parcells - Air Force Academy
John Madden - San Diego State University
Don Shula - University of Kentucky
George Allen - Whittier College
Tony Dungy - University of Minnesota
Mike Tomlin - University of Cincinnati
Tom Coughlin - Syracuse University/Boston College
Mike McCarthy - University of Pittsburgh
Andy Reid - University of Missouri

mysticsoto
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Exactly. If Nix needs to be told to re-sign Levitre & the others you mentioned we are in big trouble. If Marrone assembles a good staff, he may win me over. His staff should be the priority for him.

Especially important b'cse he has stated that he will not be doing the playcalling. I mean, of course, he will have input into the game plan during the week, but on game day, he will let his coordinators run and he will coordinate overall. Clearly, his OC/DC will have alot of leeway to make their own calls...

Mike13
01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
And yet Marrones team crushed the Cards who crushed the Gators.

Conference don't mean ****. Can the guy coach, we'll see

So he lives vicariously thrugh the sucess of Charlie Strong?
Has he been turned down from jobs because the Good Ol Boy Network that is the NCCA is afraid of black HCs?

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
This is TERRIBLE news to wake up to. I guess I will have to change my user name.

will you change it back to yordad? :snicker:

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 05:50 PM
The lemmings on this board never cease to amaze me....

yeah... especially the jerkoffs who hate this hiring.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
This is kinda like waking up and finding that you've been invaded and Saddam Hussein is running the defense department.

the only thing worse than that is giving Obama a 3rd term as President.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
For me, all hope is GONE.

does this mean you are leaving for good? I hope so. :hiclap:

take Historian, Suetonius, and the other whining *****es, who don't like this hire, with you. :bigwave:

Generalissimus Gibby
01-07-2013, 06:01 PM
does this mean you are leaving for good? I hope so. :hiclap:

take Historian, Suetonius, and the other whining *****es, who don't like this hire, with you. :bigwave:

Nope, I am not going anywhere, I have written off next year anyways because its just a ***** of a schedule, but I think he may actually be a good fit.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

i'll be happy to stuff it down your throat too.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM

the old better days??? you mean yordad? :biggrin:

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm sure the Bills are very upset today that a few anonymous message board posters don't like their choice for head coach.

they're too happy that SABURZFAN approves the signing so they don't really care what the morons say. :up:

Generalissimus Gibby
01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
they're too happy that SABURZFAN approves the signing so they don't really care what the morons say. :up:
But if they don't care what morons have to say then they couldn't give a rats ass what Saburzfan approves or disapproves because there are no bigger morons than he.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2013, 06:29 PM
But if they don't care what morons have to say then they couldn't give a rats ass what Saburzfan approves or disapproves because there are no bigger morons than he.

look in the mirror..... MORON!!!! :rolleyes:

Generalissimus Gibby
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
look in the mirror..... MORON!!!! :rolleyes:

You first JLB

JoeMama
01-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Doug Marrone already passed my first requirement as head coach.

I didn't pace around my living room ranting and raving to myself over what a bad hire it was (like I did in 2010).

I came totally unhinged when we hired Chan Gailey.

Of this Marrone fellow I'm surprisingly indifferent and willing to give him a fair shake.

Sammy Avalon
01-10-2013, 06:06 AM
After letting it sink in a bit and watching the press conference I don't feel bad about the hire. But I want results and not big words and promises. I'm not worried about Marrone but rather the Bills organization that manages to screw up good players and coaches with thier inept leadership.

Skooby
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Good hire man.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
As long as CJ Spiller runs 25 to 30 times a game and is generally more involved in the offense I will be very pleased. Here's the thing, I highly suspect CJ could be our Adrian Peterson and I think the Vikings got into the post season with a lamesauce qb because they properly utilized Adrian Peterson. Sadly, we did not enjoy success last year because coach dumbass decided to bench Spiller on third and short and inside the redzone when any other coach would use him to tear holes in the D. For what its worth I would have used him as our feature back and Jackson for a change of pace. Our D could have really been helped if we had given them more rest. Speaking of D, they can miss the occassional tackle or have the near drop but they cannot take plays off and the coach has to light a fire under their asses.

kishoph
01-18-2013, 04:12 AM
With all the complaints about having a head coach with no prior NFL head coaching experience, I was surprised to find out that out of the 32 NFL head coaches (if the Chiefs hire Arians), 25 of them are in their 1st job as NFL coaches, some have been doing it for multiple years, but still their 1st time as a NFL head coach.