PDA

View Full Version : Marrone Resume

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Per the SU website: http://suathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=602&path=football

I must say I was underwhelmed when I saw him on the list of candidates, but it seems that he was a very hot candidate. The Browns apparently liked him a lot (two interviews), he was scheduled to interview with he Eagles, and the Bears and Chargers were also apparently interested ( http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/browns-trying-to-secure-oregon-s-chip-kelly-as-coach-doug-marrone-out-of-picture-1.362859)

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 07:03 AM
glad its a young coach with ties to parcells... so, i guess we will see

Fletch
01-06-2013, 07:07 AM
LOL

The Browns liked hm, eh. Is that supposed to be an endorsement?

What's next, the Raiders were strongly looking at Marrone and we beat them out too.

I was waiting for the comedy to begin. Next is how the team knows what they're doing and we need to trust them because they're experts.

LOL

The guy had an OK season in a second-rate NCAA conference, big deal. The last time he did that, 2010, he went 5-7 a year later.

He was 25-25 at SU. He apparently didn't even call the plays on offense in NO. He was the OC.

I can't wait to see what "respected" coordinators want to play under him. I'm expecting the next pair of Curtis Modkins's.

RedEyE
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Its all about the supporting staff, IMO. Gailey might still be in Buffalo had he brought in a decent DC. A mid-range defense would have had this team in the playoffs this year and last. It still doesn't excuse his idiotic tom foolery with the clock and Spiller, but his choices in DC were pathetic.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2013, 07:27 AM
what kind of d did he run in cuse?

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
LOL

What's next, the Raiders were strongly looking at Marrone and we beat them out too.

I was waiting for the comedy to begin. Next is how the team knows what they're doing and we need to trust them because they're experts.

LOL

The guy had an OK season in a second-rate NCAA conference, big deal. The last time he did that, 2010, he went 5-7 a year later.

He was 25-25 at SU. He apparently didn't even call the plays on offense in NO. He was the OC.

I can't wait to see what "respected" coordinators want to play under him. I'm expecting the next pair of Curtis Modkins's.

My post wasn't endorsing him. But if you want to take it that way, read the whole post and you may note that the Browns weren't the only other team interested. The eagles had an interview scheduled, and the Bears and Chargers were also reportedly interested.

My point is, 5 of the 7 teams with HC openings were interested. That takes this out of the random hire category in which the Bills have been known to frequent. There's something to the safety in numbers thing - given our front office's track record, it's good to see that a broad range of football people thought Marrone was worth pursuing.

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
glad its a young coach with ties to parcells... so, i guess we will see

Exactly. To me he's got a big upside but is still not a fully known quantity. He's not universally popular at Syracuse. Brought the program back to respectability and is coming off a bowl blowout of W.Va and Geno Smith, but he's had four years and best they have been is 8-5. Hard to say how much credit to give him given Syracuse's dearth of talent.

I think I still would have preferred Lovie Smith with a big name OC. But I feel about the same about this as I would have about Chip Kelly (stronger college track record, but gimmicky offense that might not translate and no NFL experience), and much better than if we'd signed a retread HC like Wisenhunt. was not sold on McCoy etc., as I prefer someone with HC experience at some level.

justasportsfan
01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Hope he's up to the task about outsmarting BB

Bulldog
01-06-2013, 07:55 AM
LOL

LOL

I mean, when you have guys like Parcells and Sean Payton singing your praises, I'd rather trust Fletch. Said nobody ever. Love the hire!

DraftBoy
01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
He was endorsed and hired by Sean Peyton who he was OC under for three years.

He knows how to run a balanced backfield.

Has history developing QB in Nassib.

Its not a deep resume but it's a better one than given credit.

Historian
01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
....and Chan had Cowher singing his praises.

....and Dick had Holmgren singing his praises.

....and oh **** it!

dannyek71
01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
I'd rather had Chip. As an SU fan, I am sad to see him leave the school. So I guess this means we will reach for Nassib?

mush69
01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
When marrone took over the SU football program I was really excited. For years we said ya can't spell suck without SU. He righted that ship in just a short tenure there and while they do have room to improve and the program will be in the ACC next year they are on the right path.

Lets hope that Marrone can do they same with our Bills, I do not expect imediate success but do feel this is a good hire for Buffalo.

Dougie Time

bills_7
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Marrone from the bronx, im guessing he has Italian background which means there is a great chance he will be a winner!!!

DraftBoy
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
I'd rather had Chip. As an SU fan, I am sad to see him leave the school. So I guess this means we will reach for Nassib?

Not Nix/Whaley style to do that.

dannyek71
01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Hopefully this is played now at the Ralph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyNgbTlIyQ

Fixxxer
01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Marrone from the bronx, im guessing he has Italian background which means there is a great chance he will be a winner!!!

or else, it will look like an accident......

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I am just not liking this AT ALLL

Hope he proves me wrong.

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
20 years coaching experience... 7 of those years in the NFL... And only 48 years old. I like this "forward thinking" hire.

2009-Present - Head Coach, Syracuse University
2006-08 - Offensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints
2002-05 - Offensive Line, New York Jets
2001 - Tight Ends/Tackles, University of Tennessee
2000 - Offensive Line, University of Georgia
1997-99 - Offensive Line, Georgia Tech
1996 - Tight Ends, Georgia Tech
1995 - Director of Football Operations, Georgia Tech
1994 - Offensive Line, Northeastern University
1993 - Offensive Line, U.S. Coast Guard Academy
1992 - Tight Ends, Cortland

Scumbag College
01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
It deviates from the Bills norm of hiring retreads or OC/DC coordinators away from other teams. He took a lousy SU program around and made them a winner. Cowher, Gruden, etc. were all pipe dreams. I liken it to TB hiring Schiano last year.

imbondz
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
at least we know he can play in cold weather

RedEyE
01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Doesn't the Orangemen still play at the carrier dome?

DraftBoy
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Doesn't the Orangemen still play at the carrier dome?

Yes but the Big East plays in cold areas like Cincinnati, and New Jersey.

cookie G
01-06-2013, 10:49 AM
He turned Sean Payton on to Juicy Fruit.

That can never be understated.

Bert102176
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM

I would take Nassib in the second maybe trade back into the first and take him there imo that would not be reaching, I still feel we need to draft 2 QB's 1 on day 1 another on day 2 and sign T. Jackson back

- - - Updated - - -

I would take Nassib in the second maybe trade back into the first and take him there imo that would not be reaching, I still feel we need to draft 2 QB's 1 on day 1 another on day 2 and sign T. Jackson back

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
This is the only vid that needs to be played when his name is announced at the Ralph:

http://youtu.be/1ytCEuuW2_A