PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Weekly Insiders On Marrone Hire - Cover Your Eyes !

Night Train
01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Insider : Brandon makes great hire in Marrone

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel,
speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• “I’m impressed by what (Bills president/CEO) Russ Brandon
is doing. You look at what happened with Mike Holmgren (in
Cleveland) and Hue Jackson (in Cincinnati) — history is not on
the side of guys acting as the owner. Anyone who knows (Syracuse head coach)
Doug Marrone knows it was a great hire. I love the fit. It was
very smart finding someone local. They’ll find a quarterback and move (GM)
Buddy Nix out of the way after the draft, and they’ll be on
their way.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/06/insider-brandon-makes-great-hire-in-marrone

better days
01-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Insider : Brandon makes great hire in Marrone

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel,
speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• “I’m impressed by what (Bills president/CEO) Russ Brandon
is doing. You look at what happened with Mike Holmgren (in
Cleveland) and Hue Jackson (in Cincinnati) — history is not on
the side of guys acting as the owner. Anyone who knows (Syracuse head coach)
Doug Marrone knows it was a great hire. I love the fit. It was
very smart finding someone local. They’ll find a quarterback and move (GM)
Buddy Nix out of the way after the draft, and they’ll be on
their way.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/06/insider-brandon-makes-great-hire-in-marrone

Curious they felt the need for anonymity.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Maybe the guy is from Boston.

DBrown77
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
95% of this board doesnt know squat about him including me, but just have to complain because they never heard of him.

Pinkerton Security
01-07-2013, 10:27 AM
95% of this board doesnt know squat about him including me, but just have to complain because they never heard of him.

im somewhat familiar with him bc im a Cuse fan, but the thing about Marrone is that the hire is an unknown really...and as you said thats what makes people upset. However, I didnt want another retread coach and am fine with them trying something different because we havent had success with hiring retreads. I would have been OK with Lovie but Whisenhunt rode Warner to success and hasnt had any success otherwise.

Joe Fo Sho
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
im somewhat familiar with him bc im a Cuse fan, but the thing about Marrone is that the hire is an unknown really...and as you said thats what makes people upset. However, I didnt want another retread coach and am fine with them trying something different because we havent had success with hiring retreads. I would have been OK with Lovie but Whisenhunt rode Warner to success and hasnt had any success otherwise.

I think we all can agree...at least we didn't hire Whisenhunt.

justasportsfan
01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
im somewhat familiar with him bc im a Cuse fan, but the thing about Marrone is that the hire is an unknown really...and as you said thats what makes people upset.

I would rather take a chance on an unknown like Marrone than whats known about Chan. We were going nowhere with Chan.

I was ready for even Lovie or Whiz. Just willing to try something else other than what we had the last 3 years.

trapezeus
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
i am just very cautious that the biggest loser on the bills is russ brandon. and he keeps making the choices. if he was going to make a culture change, he would have picked someone as GM, scrapped whaley and nix. (look at the drafts the last 3 years in rounds 2-7. They are drafting guys who can't make the buffalo bills)

They should have raided the Giants scouting or Ravens scouting. Giants excel at finding pass rushers and receivers. and ravens have consistently been adding players.

just to put marrone into the current framework sounds like they are setting him up for failure.

Saratoga Slim
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
i am just very cautious that the biggest loser on the bills is russ brandon. and he keeps making the choices. if he was going to make a culture change, he would have picked someone as GM, scrapped whaley and nix. (look at the drafts the last 3 years in rounds 2-7. They are drafting guys who can't make the buffalo bills)

They should have raided the Giants scouting or Ravens scouting. Giants excel at finding pass rushers and receivers. and ravens have consistently been adding players.

just to put marrone into the current framework sounds like they are setting him up for failure.

Possibly. Don't forget the transition to Whaley however.

Im actually only really down on Nix for trying to make Fitzpatrick a long term answer. That was a big mistake and one he should be held accountable for. But I think otherwise he's drafted fairly well and generally improved our talent level significantly.

JoeMama
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
He better be ****ing good.

kingJofNYC
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Pro Football Weekly always uses anonymous sources, easy way to make **** up!

kishoph
01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
He better be ****ing good.

Or what, you'll *****, whine and cry more ?

TigerJ
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Qualifications for a head coach in Buffalo, if he's going to be popular with Bills fans:

1. He needs to have broad experience. A half dozen Super Bowl rings would be nice. He also needs to have coached an elite team in college, and known for cutting edge schemes. Anything less than 20 years of coaching experience is unacceptable.

2. He must be young, ideally no older than about 40.

3. He needs to be a strong independent leader, able to stand up to the owner, or whomever is calling the shots for the team.

4. He should listen to the fans. Everyone knows the fans know what's best.

5. He needs to run the ball at least 20 times per game. Twenty-five or thirty would be better.

6. A strong passing game is a must.

7. Of course the first order of business has to be dumping Ryan Fitzpatrick and drafting a QB in the first round of the draft. That guy should be able to run a read option offense and a tradition pro offense and be top five in the league no later than his second year. Of course, since the defense also needs major upgrading, Marrone should be able to trade down for two first round picks, get the top QB in the draft, and Manti Teo too. He can pick up the best receiver in the draft in the second round.

There's more, but if Doug Marrone fits all that, then he's probably on his way to popularity as a Bills coach.

Of course, the other option is to win games, hopefully more than he loses by his second year, if not his first, and make the playoffs by his third year. If he can't fulfill the former, he'll just have to live with complaining fans for a while until he can pull off the latter.

HAMMER
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM

You don't seem too happy about this hire, I see a lot of pissing and moaning from you in these threads.

EricStratton
01-07-2013, 07:37 PM

Usually personnel from one team doesn't go on record with comments about another team.

It's a tight fraternity and no one wants to burn any bridges.

kishoph
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Qualifications for a head coach in Buffalo, if he's going to be popular with Bills fans:

1. He needs to have broad experience. A half dozen Super Bowl rings would be nice. He also needs to have coached an elite team in college, and known for cutting edge schemes. Anything less than 20 years of coaching experience is unacceptable.

2. He must be young, ideally no older than about 40.

3. He needs to be a strong independent leader, able to stand up to the owner, or whomever is calling the shots for the team.

4. He should listen to the fans. Everyone knows the fans know what's best.

5. He needs to run the ball at least 20 times per game. Twenty-five or thirty would be better.

6. A strong passing game is a must.

7. Of course the first order of business has to be dumping Ryan Fitzpatrick and drafting a QB in the first round of the draft. That guy should be able to run a read option offense and a tradition pro offense and be top five in the league no later than his second year. Of course, since the defense also needs major upgrading, Marrone should be able to trade down for two first round picks, get the top QB in the draft, and Manti Teo too. He can pick up the best receiver in the draft in the second round.

He can also not be from anywhere within a 500 mile radius of Buffalo (regionalization) or have any connections to anyone in the Bills organization.

Cleve
01-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I would rather take a chance on an unknown like Marrone than whats known about Chan. We were going nowhere with Chan.

That's eerily similar to the Republican Party's main argument to vote for Mitt Romney. IE, he's not Obama. That worked well.

JoeMama
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Or what, you'll *****, whine and cry more ?

Maybe!