PDA

View Full Version : Bills ask for permission to soeak with Mike Pettine of the Jets

Skooby
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Jets D ranked 8th & Mike denied a request for an extension, that might have something to do with Rex pointing a finger at him. Rex is also on a short lease & Mike might want a little more stable / longer term situation

Buffalo Bills: Sources tell us the Bills have requested permission to speak with Mike Pettine of the Jets for their defensive coordinator position.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/07/report-bills-ask-permission-to-speak-with-jets-dc/

Bert102176
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Why please get someone Better

Skooby
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Why
Jets Defense reanked 8th last season & was # 1 a few years ago, so that might have something to do with it.

Mski
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Jets Defense reanked 8th last season & was # 1 a few years ago, so that might have something to do with it.
how much of that was really him, or rex's system? to me it appears he held the title, and little more.

Skooby
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
A different source now:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/07/report-bills-ask-permission-to-speak-with-jets-dc/

X-Era
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't want to switch to the 3-4.

Mski
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
rich cimini has it poted on his twitter

Skooby
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't want to switch to the 3-4.

Why Rex Ryan's defense is not a 3-4:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1193999-new-york-jets-why-rex-ryans-defense-is-not-a-3-4

X-Era
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Why Rex Ryan's defense is not a 3-4:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1193999-new-york-jets-why-rex-ryans-defense-is-not-a-3-4So we want to take one of our very good DLmen off the field to put in a questionable CB?

Skooby
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
So we want to take one of our very good DLmen off the field to put in a questionable CB?

It's like a 1-3-7, 3-3-5 & all kinds of formations that get confusing. K. Williams / Dareus / Mario can rock the line on a 3-3-5 defense, I did write that the Jets were #1 on defrense right ?? How'd that do for them, almost a trip to the Superbowl & the conference finals for a few years there ?? The Bills need to blend all types of talented coaches together, we've been running on empty for a while now.

jdbillsfan
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Didn't help the D that the offense was a joke and Sanchez was a turnover machine.

SquishDaFish
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
He runs a variety hybrid type defense. Lots of TV internet heads are praising the move if we get him.

GingerP
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Both him on their secondary coach, Dennis Thurman, are about to have their contracts expire and are highly thought of. They Jets might be willing to let Pettine go and make Thurman their DC.

kishoph
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
So we want to take one of our very good DLmen off the field to put in a questionable CB?

Marrone said the personnel will decide what defense is ran, I don't think he's gonna allow anyone to come in here and force their system. I can't imagine going away from the 4-3, seeing that the line is/should be the strength of our defense (if they play to their potential).

X-Era
01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Marrone said the personnel will decide what defense is ran, I don't think he's gonna allow anyone to come in here and force their system. I can't imagine going away from the 4-3, seeing that the line is/should be the strength of our defense (if they play to their potential).
That's fine. And I think you're right. I hope you're right. I want the 4-3 to stay.

Michael82
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
He's well thought of throughout the NFL and would be a solid hire. Besides, didnt he run a hybrid defense leaning more towards a 4-3 this season?

BillsWin
01-07-2013, 06:13 PM
He switched to more of a 4-3 this year, especially in the second half with certain personnel changes. I think their NT went down or wasn't playing well and of course, the Revis injury made it difficult to play a lot of man coverage which his original schemes call for.

I think it would be an absolute coup for Buffalo to get Pettine. He's a great coach with a history of top 10 D's. He's a smart coach who can adapt to the times and players.

X-Era
01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
He switched to more of a 4-3 this year, especially in the second half with certain personnel changes. I think their NT went down or wasn't playing well and of course, the Revis injury made it difficult to play a lot of man coverage which his original schemes call for.

I think it would be an absolute coup for Buffalo to get Pettine. He's a great coach with a history of top 10 D's. He's a smart coach who can adapt to the times and players.
Truth be known I'm more concerned with the players than the scheme. If he runs a 4-3 hybrid type scheme the real concern immediately shifts to where it currently is... LB and a few other positions.

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I've just been told that Pettine has been granted permission to talk to the Bills. Fantastic pickup if we can get him.

madness
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
how much of that was really him, or rex's system? to me it appears he held the title, and little more.

They are like brothers as they shared play calling duties in the past with Pettine taking the lion's share of the calls the past few years. In fact, they're low ranking this year is a bit telling as Rex announced before the season that he would call the defense a majority of the time. Rex is easier to project as he will take what works and drill it to death by mixing it up a little. Pettine is more of a calculated mastermind who likes to mix it up and disguise his calls.

Skooby
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I've just been told that Pettine has been granted permission to talk to the Bills. Fantastic pickup if we can get him.

Cool, I can't see why they would jam him.

THRILLHO
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Will he teach our players to tackle? If so, he's hired.

venis2k1
01-08-2013, 04:01 AM
This is the man that made a star out of Aaron Maybin!!!!!

All joking aside...

Lots of experience
History of top defenses
Know the Div inside and out
On the right side of 60
Likes to Blitz

Would be a great hire here in Buffalo.

kishoph
01-08-2013, 05:03 AM
A little while ago I read that he wanted to return to the Jets and that he wouldn't confirm that he declined an extension, this article clears that up.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/exploring-other-opportunities-pettine-will-begin-with-bills-interview/article_78875dad-625a-5f65-b4b3-13e724762218.html

jamze132
01-08-2013, 06:26 AM

Lets be honest. What strength does the Buffalo Bills defense have? They were historically bad in all facets.

RedEyE
01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
I think Mike Pettine makes a good prospect. His baseline NFL experience comes from Baltimore. Those defensive juggernauts had to have taught him a thing or two and he seems to have done some good things as DC in NY. And he has experience with the AFC East and those pesky Pats.

Extremebillsfan247
01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Rex Ryan has made it clear today that the Jets are ready to move on without him. He is interviewing today for the Bills DC job but may wait to give an answer because he wants to see how things turn out in Philly, his hometown team according to Chris Brown of buffalobills.com.

mrbojanglezs
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't want to switch to the 3-4 if that's his philosophy

RedEyE
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
“Mike Pettine is going to have several opportunities as a defensive coordinator,” said Ryan. “Today I know he interviews with the Buffalo Bills. I’m hoping he doesn’t take that job. I hope he goes somewhere else. Mike and I have been together for over 10 years. He’s a tremendous coach. We’ve had conversations. Mike thinks it’s best that he go to a different team as a defensive coordinator, and I wish him all the best unless he goes to Buffalo. But I love Mike and I respect him.”

LMAO

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't want to switch to the 3-4 if that's his philosophy

If it produces a top 5 D every year I'm all for it. Forget Mario. Wins for me are more important than any player.