PDA

View Full Version : would you bring back merriman as a backup behind anderson, mario, moore?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
made it through the season and seems past his leg injury. good backup....

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
No. He'll get injured in TC and be gone first cut....
but I'd not bring him back ... out with the old in with the new

Arctic Wild Man
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
If he stays healthy, yes. Don't underestimate his ability to help the younger guys progress in their game. Experience counts.

ICRockets
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I think he's the type of guy who would really respond to Marrone's coaching style.

Mr. Pink
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
He was even more of a waste of a roster spot than Potter.

clumping platelets
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Yes but I would still look to draft another DE and/or DT early.

BertSquirtgum
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I would bring him back instead of Anderson. He ****ing blows.

- - - Updated - - -

He was even more of a waste of a roster spot than Potter.

No.

venis2k1
01-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Mark Anderson: 1 sack at 5 million per year

Shawn Marriman: 1 sack at Vet Minimum

The analytics support it :)

kishoph
01-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Mark Anderson: 1 sack at 5 million per year

Shawn Marriman: 1 sack at Vet Minimum

The analytics support it :)

Anderson played in 5 games, against the Jets and Pats he was bad, along with the rest of the defense, the other 3 games, he didn't stand out, but he wasn't really bad either. He also played injured, the previous staff was idiotic when it came to handling injuries. With Merriman, I would consider resigning him, but I did get a laugh when he tweeted that he was mad that he wasn't on the list of top free agents. Not any longer Shawne.

Yasgur's Farm
01-08-2013, 05:57 AM
SM should be brought back... But as an OLB.

jamze132
01-08-2013, 06:23 AM
I'd bring him back in a heart beat.

zone
01-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Why wouldn't we bring him back, now he is healthy with the rust gone and he is only like 28 years old. We should try everything to get him back IMO, he played very well at the end of the year and he will only get better.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Merriman is done. Washed up. He is a JAG now, there is not future with him. They should look elsewhere.

jimmifli
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
He's a smart player. He made a few plays where he followed the RB after a chip block, and totally sniffed out the screen. I like him, his intensity, his passion. For the right price I could see him on the roster.

Bert102176
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Anderson is the one that should not be brought back

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
he may do better with a different DC. Let him compete at camp like everyone else.

OLDSRIP
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
he may do better with a different DC. Let him compete at camp like everyone else.

Thats what I think too.
bring him to camp, see what happens. I'm sure his work ethic will have a positive
affect on others. With him, it's all about health.

Yasgur's Farm
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Merriman is done. Washed up. He is a JAG now, there is not future with him. They should look elsewhere.Someone needs to pay more attention.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Someone needs to pay more attention.

Someone is in denial.

Merriman is a shell of himself. He can't rush the passer anymore, he is done. He was once a great player, but that was 2007. It's been 6 years.

Why should Merriman be brought back? He isn't going to get any better and is still a huge injury risk. As a backup, he isn't going to contribute on ST and isn't going to be part of the long-term solution. The Bills paid the guy a lot of money the last couple years, they owe him nothing.

Yasgur's Farm
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
You might have an argument a year ago... But he's since proven otherwise.

In limited spot duty he had 17 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 1 blocked pass.

I say he makes a great OLB... And vet minimum to boot.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Someone is in denial.

Merriman is a shell of himself. He can't rush the passer anymore, he is done. He was once a great player, but that was 2007. It's been 6 years.

Why should Merriman be brought back? He isn't going to get any better and is still a huge injury risk. As a backup, he isn't going to contribute on ST and isn't going to be part of the long-term solution. The Bills paid the guy a lot of money the last couple years, they owe him nothing.everyone seemed like a shell of themselves under Wanny. What do we have to lose by making him compete under a new DC?

GingerP
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
everyone seemed like a shell of themselves under Wanny. What do we have to lose by making him compete under a new DC?

Because he has been a shell of himself since 2007. Nothing's changed, the guy is done. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2007. He has had the achilles injury after that, but he is no longer explosive off the ball. That is what made him special.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
You might have an argument a year ago... But he's since proven otherwise.

In limited spot duty he had 17 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 1 blocked pass.

I say he makes a great OLB... And vet minimum to boot.

Those are decidedly underwhelming numbers, especially since he fell into the sack. The guy can't rush the passer anymore. Physically, he just doesn't get off the ball like he did in 2007.

Why would you pay the vet minimum of $840K to him? He is at best a backup at this point in his career. He can't rush the passer anymore. He doesn't play on ST. He is getting older and isn't going to be playing much longer at any rate. Face it, it is over for the guy. His career is done, and it isn't worth keeping him around just because of his name.

You can bring in a rookie and pay him less than half of what minimum would be for Merriman, and that player would contribute on ST and would have a chance of developing into something more. Or... you could bring in another veteran player who isn't washed up for the same money.

It's Lights Out for Merriman's career. Stick a fork in the guy.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Because he has been a shell of himself since 2007. Nothing's changed, the guy is done. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2007. He has had the achilles injury after that, but he is no longer explosive off the ball. That is what made him special.

camp is another way to try out. I would rather have the coaches check him out for themselves rather than just have them listen to what us fans think.

Yasgur's Farm
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Justa... Stop making this guy repeat himself... Every post is the same. He's obviously much wiser than you and I.

TigerJ
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
At the right price. He's got to win a job in training camp though.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Justa... Stop making this guy repeat himself... Every post is the same. He's obviously much wiser than you and I.

Reggie Bush is playing his best under a different team. With Marrone paving the way, Curtis MArtin had his best season late in his career.

Think Brees himself. The fins said his shoulder was done. Good thing the Saints didn't stick a fork in him. Not saying Shawne will do the same but it cost us nothing to make him try out.

zone
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Achilles inuries take a while to come back form, look at Spikes. Merriman played very well at the end of the year after being picked up off the street and playing a positionhe had never played.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Commenting on me just shows how little evidence there is that Merriman is worth a damn anymore.

The fact is, Merriman hasn't been productive since 2007. That is a long time, and he isn't about to suddenly re-discover what he had then. The guy wasn't even average last year, he showed no pass rush skills anymore. Why would any team bring him in?

Merriman has probably played his last down in the NFL. You can pick up guys off the street who can contribute what he does at this point, and those guys are going to be younger, cheaper and contribute on ST. The only reason you want him back is because he is a recognizable name. If you are going to do that, bring back Bruce Smith. He'd probably contribute more.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Achilles inuries take a while to come back form, look at Spikes. Merriman played very well at the end of the year after being picked up off the street and playing a positionhe had never played.

How did he play well? He showed no ability to rush the passer anymore. He couldn't pressure the QB. The Bills defense still was dreadful with him. I thought he sucked. Pretty much anyone can make a play now and then, but Merriman did next to nothing.

lmcshadow
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I say Give him a chance to win his spot in TC. Might show something if not Slash him

Yasgur's Farm
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Somebody likes to argue... But repeating the same thing over and over again makes for a piss poor argument.

Give it a rest. This is a discussion forum. If you've got nothing new to add, move on.

zone
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
How did he play well? He showed no ability to rush the passer anymore. He couldn't pressure the QB. The Bills defense still was dreadful with him. I thought he sucked. Pretty much anyone can make a play now and then, but Merriman did next to nothing.

Watch the film, he consitantly set the edge on run plays and he did generate presure at times, again from a position he has never played and after being brought in in late October. You act like he was being sent on blitzes off the edge and couldn't deliver, that isn't the case. The defense we ran sucked ass plain and simple it would make JJ Watt look pedistrian.

GingerP
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Watch the film, he consitantly set the edge on run plays and he did generate presure at times, again from a position he has never played and after being brought in in late October. You act like he was being sent on blitzes off the edge and couldn't deliver, that isn't the case. The defense we ran sucked ass plain and simple it would make JJ Watt look pedistrian.

I disagree. He is still very strong, so the steroid argument doesn't hold weight. However, he has completely lost the explosiveness that made him a great player. He doesn't get off at the snap, and losing that quick first step exposes his inability to shed blocks. He gets locked up and dances with his man, and rarely gets pressure. He can anchor, but if you can't get off a block, what good is that? In the end, he just doesn't make enough plays. He was wildly out-played by Kyle Moore.

Really, what is the upside? Is the guy going to get better? He hasn't been any good since 2007, so that is highly doubtful. He isn't going to help elsewhere. At best, he is a short-term stop-gap, which is really what he was this year after injuries forced the Bills to re-sign him.

In the end, the only thing he really has going for him is his name. He was a terrific player at one time, but that time is done. The Bills should move on.

zone
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
I disagree. He is still very strong, so the steroid argument doesn't hold weight. However, he has completely lost the explosiveness that made him a great player. He doesn't get off at the snap, and losing that quick first step exposes his inability to shed blocks. He gets locked up and dances with his man, and rarely gets pressure. He can anchor, but if you can't get off a block, what good is that? In the end, he just doesn't make enough plays. He was wildly out-played by Kyle Moore.

Really, what is the upside? Is the guy going to get better? He hasn't been any good since 2007, so that is highly doubtful. He isn't going to help elsewhere. At best, he is a short-term stop-gap, which is really what he was this year after injuries forced the Bills to re-sign him.

In the end, the only thing he really has going for him is his name. He was a terrific player at one time, but that time is done. The Bills should move on.

It took Spikes well over a year to get that explosiveness back, there is no reason to think that Merriman can't continue to regain it especially since he finished the year healthy. Merriman is still better than Kelsay any day of the week.

BertSquirtgum
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Merriman started to play much better by the end of the season. You could see he was getting in the game more often as well. It wasn't because he had high energy in the locker room. It was because he will get back to form just like Takeo did(Takeo's injury was worse). This is the time to resign him. He is just getting back into game shape and to let him go now after would be stupid. Especially after the money spent on getting him back into game form.

JoeMama
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Sure, I'd bring him back. He doesn't command a huge salary and he's a good locker room guy.

Also, I was surprised to see he teamed up with P.E.T.A. recently. Didn't see that coming.

http://www.peta.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-SiteFiles/Peta-Images-Main-Sections-Features-Celebrities/PETAshawneVERT72.jpg

coastal
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
The one thing he did better than I think almost any Bills D-end last year... was set the edge when he played.

Absolutely u bring him back... And absolutely u use Anderson like Belichick did... As a situational pass rusher.

Mouldsie
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
He's probably our best run defender

YardRat
01-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I would rather have a 1st-3rd round draft pick.

BertSquirtgum
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I would rather have a 1st-3rd round draft pick.

I'd rather have both competing in camp.