PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest concern with Marrone?

X-Era
01-08-2013, 05:31 AM
My biggest issue is whether or not he can earn the respect of the players. Will he be respected? Will they listen to him?

This is a bit different that when we hire a guy like Chan. If you remember, players came out and mentioned his credentials. How they listen to him because of what he's done.

Marrone has been a coordinator which will help him gain traction. But, he hasn't been a head coach.

This is a situation where he's a disciplinarian, he may demand the players play his way. And without the pedigree to show he knows what to do because he's succeeded at this level as head coach, it could turn players off. He's also been reported to be a players coach and seeks to establish good relationships.

The good news is I don't think we have any prima donna's who will publicly question him.

I'm excited for the hire and what he may do. But I do have this one concern.

What's yours?

jamze132
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
He's new?

billsfanryan
01-08-2013, 06:29 AM
11-17 against the big east. One of our biggest problems is that we can't win in our division and that record doesn't give me confidence that he can win in our division.

RedEyE
01-08-2013, 06:32 AM
He's a bit of an unknown and has limited experience as an HC. My biggest fear is that it takes him a greater part of the year just learning the job in the NFL. On top of that, I'm concerned about Brandon and Co. having signed a "yes man" to project their own ideas through.

I would have preferred a coach with more experience and one that could have come in, immediately grabbed the team by the reigns, and have them off onto the right direction day one.

With that being said, he's here. Time to support him and hope for the best.

zone
01-08-2013, 06:39 AM
No concerns here, I say he gets it done.

coastal
01-08-2013, 06:42 AM
No concerns here, I say he gets it done.
Superbowl bound baby!!!

Fletch
01-08-2013, 06:49 AM
11-17 against the big east. One of our biggest problems is that we can't win in our division and that record doesn't give me confidence that he can win in our division.

Not only that, but everyone's overplaying his achievements at SU. The Big East, when it comes to football, is Conference USA's equal, nothing more. He went 8-5 in 2010 too but followed that season up with a 5-7 one, again with Nassib at QB.

His Orange didn't beat any good teams outside of the conference there either. The bowl appearances are murky at best because the Pinstripe Bowl didn't even exist four seasons ago, and he ended up playing an immensely overrated WVU team this season in it and in 2010, the bowl's inaugural year, his Orange took on a 7-6 KSU team that wasn't good.

So how impressive was his time at SU? Bowl appearances have become as meaningless as NBA or NHL teams making the playoffs since in the quest for more dollars there are now as many bowl games to include over half the teams in the NCAA. All that means is that a team was mediocre or worse if they didn't make a bowl. If the Pinstripe Bowl hadn't been created in 2010 then the Orange would not have made any bowls.

Otherwise, with what is now one of the top-rated QBs in the draft, Marrone managed only to get to 8-5. With Nassib gone, how well would he have done next this season at SU? It wouldn't be a reach to suggest that he may have been in for another 5-7 season or perhaps even a little worse.

Also, if he didn't call the plays in NO offensively, then what did he do? How did he contribute to their winning games? No one has answered that yet.

As this guy points out, http://thedailynewsonline.com/sports/article_609d1544-595c-11e2-bbd2-0019bb2963f4.html:

Marrone gets a lot of credit for his work as offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints and for his work with quarterback Drew Brees. But he never got to call the plays there; head coach Sean Payton did that. And Brees got even better after he left, setting a record last year for passing yardage in a season. And, oh yeah, the Saints also won the Super Bowl after Marrone left.

Talk is cheap this time of year.

jimmifli
01-08-2013, 07:41 AM
That he was picked by Russ. The guy that brought us the last decade of football.

Night Train
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
No concern.

He's a flat out unknown at this level. No criticism.

An unpatient fanbase wants something to go on but must wait until the games start. I'll give him a chance over proven failures like Whiz & Lovie.

You don't hire people just fired and think that's a good idea.

mjt328
01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Positives:
> Marrone apparently has the reputation as a tireless worker, who gives ALL of his time to the job. I can't think of the last time we had a coach with that kind of work ethic.
> He's going to be overseeing both sides of the ball - and delegating authority to his coordinators. Hopefully this brings more balance and unity to our team.
> His comments to the media suggest that he's willing to work with the talent on the team, rather than blow everything up and bring "his" system in.

Concerns:
> He's been a coordinator, but never a head coach in the NFL. Many great coordinators fail at that jump.
> The staff he hires will be critical. Does he have the connections around the league to get experienced coaches, or will he have to pull from the college ranks?
> Does he have a good eye for talent? The quarterback we choose in April will likely be THE decision that makes his coaching career or kills it.

Ed
01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
My concern is if he makes Buffalo less appealing to free agents than it already is.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
I'd be more worried about Chip Kelly gaining respect from the players. Marrone at least played and coached in the NFL.
My worry is still getting the right asst. coaches.

The Jokeman
01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I'd be more worried about Chip Kelly gaining respect from the players. Marrone at least played and coached in the NFL.
My worry is still getting the right asst. coaches.

And Mel Tucker was the first name to emerge as a DC which to me is a horrible choice. I just hope we don't get him.

Bill Cody
01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I hope he gets a few gray beards on his staff. I love the energy and you can't get any better experience than working with Sean Payton and running that offense. I also like the fact that he's been the man in charge, even if it's college, that will help him a lot. But he needs a QB, preferably Tyler Wilson who has a solid arm and is as tough as nails. They can grow together. Having the young QB will get Bills fans to relax and enjoy the show. So my biggest concern is that we don't get Tyler Wilson. Geno will be gone and I'm not sold on the rest of the QB's coming out.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
And Mel Tucker was the first name to emerge as a DC which to me is a horrible choice. I just hope we don't get him.

Don't know much about him other than this .

The Jaguars improved defensively from 28th in 2010 to sixth in 2011, the second-largest improvement in the NFL, and improved in nearly every statistical category from the previous season. In 2011 Tucker’s defense allowed 313.0 yards per game, the fewest since 2006, and ranked ninth in rushing yards per game (104.2), eighth in passing (208.8), second in fewest completions of 20-plus yards (43), third in fewest plays of 20-plus yards (51), second in most three-and-out drives (57) and third in first downs allowed per game (16.8).

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Mel-Tucker/92821092-257a-4138-bdcf-aa28e61f09a7

The Jaguars however runs a 4-3 which would sound well for Mario. I just want a DC who can light the fire of both Mario and especially Dareus .

Albany,n.y.
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm concerned that he'll win so many games that ticket prices will double.

Night Train
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm concerned that he'll win so many games that ticket prices will double.
:rofl:

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I forgot to say my biggest worry is if he not just hang with the big boys but if he can outscoach the dark side, BB and the pats.

acehole
01-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Biggest concern is being outclassed out stragized in the bigs. The biggest positive is that he is close to college ranks and has first hand knowledge of the talent being infused in the draft. He did spend time in NFL..one can hope he picked up enough to put a game plan together.

My biggest issue is whether or not he can earn the respect of the players. Will he be respected? Will they listen to him?

This is a bit different that when we hire a guy like Chan. If you remember, players came out and mentioned his credentials. How they listen to him because of what he's done.

Marrone has been a coordinator which will help him gain traction. But, he hasn't been a head coach.

This is a situation where he's a disciplinarian, he may demand the players play his way. And without the pedigree to show he knows what to do because he's succeeded at this level as head coach, it could turn players off. He's also been reported to be a players coach and seeks to establish good relationships.

The good news is I don't think we have any prima donna's who will publicly question him.

I'm excited for the hire and what he may do. But I do have this one concern.

What's yours?

imbondz
01-08-2013, 12:26 PM
my only concern is if he sucks at coaching in the NFL

The Jokeman
01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
The Jaguars improved defensively from 28th in 2010 to sixth in 2011, the second-largest improvement in the NFL, and improved in nearly every statistical category from the previous season. In 2011 Tucker’s defense allowed 313.0 yards per game, the fewest since 2006, and ranked ninth in rushing yards per game (104.2), eighth in passing (208.8), second in fewest completions of 20-plus yards (43), third in fewest plays of 20-plus yards (51), second in most three-and-out drives (57) and third in first downs allowed per game (16.8).

and the 2012 Jaguars ranked 29th in overall defense, 30th in rush defense, 22nd in passing. I don't have the other stats but have a feeling they didn't replicate their 2011 success last year which to me a vital stat to look at considering they had an offensive minded HC last year (Mularkey) compared to a defensive minded in the past (Del Rio).

YardRat
01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
My biggest concerns are who he brings in for coordinators and how he adapts his 'disciplinarian' attitude to the NFL. If he pulls GW's dusty bullhorn out of the custodian's broom closet, we're in trouble.

SABURZFAN
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM
my concerns are his experience and if the Bills brass are smart enough to bring in/draft players that play to the strengths of his coaching.