PDA

View Full Version : QB's By Conference: Why Take Nassib?

The King
01-08-2013, 11:29 AM
After reading about 4 articles why we should take Nassau - I did a break down of starting NFL QB's by Conference (QB's who started in Week 17 for all NFL Teams). I wanted to see how many Big East QB's have done well in the NFL (lately)

Here's what I came up with:

SEC - 7 Starters
Big Ten - 6
ACC - 5
Big 12 - 4
Pac 12 - 3

The rest were all 1.

Drafting Nassib puts a ton of extra pressure on Marrone. It's not often in the NFL you see QB's and Coaches reunited.

But if the Bills take Nassib it better be because they think he's significantly better than those around him. 1. He's not really mobile, which in a December home game could concern me. 2. Any failures the QB has are going to be pinned on Marrone, because he's going to be labeled as "his" guy. So to take him you better be damned certain he can do it. 3. The heat will come on both Marrone and Nassib much quicker than it would if Dysert or Jones for example.

The big Big East names I came up with were McNabb and Brohm by the way...

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
If Nassib falls to the 3rd then maybe. I don't really want him as our franchise guy.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm sure he can see how Nassib measures up to Brees.

Bulldog
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
If Nassib falls to the 3rd then maybe. I don't really want him as our franchise guy.

Not a chance in hell that Nassib will be there in the third. More than likely he won't be there in the second when the Bills pick comes.

The King
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
With 4 Qbs from proven conferences, I'd much rather focus there.

Slim
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Barkley would fit VERY nicely into a Marrone offense.

malvado78
01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Barkley would fit VERY nicely into a Marrone offense.

No thank you... No USC QB's please.

better days
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM

I would much prefer an East Coast guy to a West Coast guy just because as Marrone has said, it is a matter of being comfortable where you are at.

ServoBillieves
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I love statistics.

I don't care what conference they are from, who coached them, their skin color or their mechanics. If he can win football games, bring them the **** in.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I love statistics.

I don't care what conference they are from, who coached them, their skin color or their mechanics. If he can win football games, bring them the **** in.

you want Tebow? How about Dorsey?

Slim
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM

So, instead of finding a good player that's a good fit for the offense we will run, you'd rather skip over him because a few USC QB's were over drafted in the last decade? I am about winning, the player could be from anywhere.

TigerJ
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
I hope Buffalo doesn't draft a blond QB. There are very few successful blond QBs in the NFL. That's because all blonds are at least a little ditzy.

BTW, I hope I didn't offend any blonds out there. I happen to be a blond guy.

sukie
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Flutie was Big east and so was Hostetler But i see you added lately. It doesn't matter where they come from aside from the program of origin translating into NFL play... If a kid has talent and physical attributes... Pick him!!!

malvado78
01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
So, instead of finding a good player that's a good fit for the offense we will run, you'd rather skip over him because a few USC QB's were over drafted in the last decade? I am about winning, the player could be from anywhere.
No i do not believe Barkley is a good player. I believe he is a product of good surrounding talent and coaching. Add this to the history of underachieving USC QB's in the NFL and this spells out to me: Please no Barkley and no USC QB's.

ServoBillieves
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
you want Tebow? How about Dorsey?

No clue why those names have relevance to what I posted.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
No clue why those names have relevance to what I posted.

didn't they win in college?

Slim
01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
No i do not believe Barkley is a good player. I believe he is a product of good surrounding talent and coaching. Add this to the history of underachieving USC QB's in the NFL and this spells out to me: Please no Barkley and no USC QB's.

You're ignorant if you don't think he's a good talented player. He wasn't a top recruit in the country for nothing. I agree, USC QB's haven't had the best track record in the NFL over the last decade, and Barkely has benefited from playing with the best WR duo in the country. But, in my opinion to hold that completely against him is a bit ridiculous. He has as much experience as any QB in college, and he has a proven record of eye popping statistics and success. He's played and started in a pro style system for the last four seasons. He is accurate, has adequate arm strong, and he has a good head on his shoulders. He does a FANTASTIC job of giving his receivers a chance to make plays. I'm not advocating him at #8, but if the Bills do end up with a pick in the bottom half of the first round then I'd take a long hard look at him.

ServoBillieves
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
didn't they win in college?

I'll give you a pass on that one, because I realize my phrasing wasn't 100% in my first thread.

If they look like they can win AT THE NFL level, then bring them in.

malvado78
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
You're ignorant...

This is a definite possibility.

I just believe he is not going to pan out for the reasons I suggested. I would take him in the 2nd or 3rd but want to part of him in the first.

The King
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I am so afraid that we make another mistake. I'm just digging up any stats to try help me feel good about these prospects.

Missing will kill us.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
You're ignorant if you don't think he's a good talented player. He wasn't a top recruit in the country for nothing. I agree, USC QB's haven't had the best track record in the NFL over the last decade, and Barkely has benefited from playing with the best WR duo in the country. But, in my opinion to hold that completely against him is a bit ridiculous. He has as much experience as any QB in college, and he has a proven record of eye popping statistics and success. He's played and started in a pro style system for the last four seasons. He is accurate, has adequate arm strong, and he has a good head on his shoulders. He does a FANTASTIC job of giving his receivers a chance to make plays. I'm not advocating him at #8, but if the Bills do end up with a pick in the bottom half of the first round then I'd take a long hard look at him.

should be interesting to see what Marrone thinks of Barkley vs. Nassib since he played USC.

Slim
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
should be interesting to see what Marrone thinks of Barkley vs. Nassib since he played USC.

Yep, Barkley put up some insane stats that game. Although if I remember correctly, Cuse' had no answer for Lee and Woods in that game.

justasportsfan
01-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Yep, Barkley put up some insane stats that game. Although if I remember correctly, Cuse' had no answer for Lee and Woods in that game.
obviously USC has better players . Barkley had better weapons.

I'll take Wilson over Barkley in the 1st or take someone else with our 1st pick and Nassib in the 2nd :up:

jamze132
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
After reading about 4 articles why we should take Nassau - I did a break down of starting NFL QB's by Conference (QB's who started in Week 18 for all NFL Teams). I wanted to see how many Big East QB's have done well in the NFL (lately)

SEC - 7 Starters
Big Ten - 6
ACC - 5
Big 12 - 4
Pac 12 - 3

The rest were all 1.

Drafting Nassib puts a ton of extra pressure on Marrone. It's not often in the NFL you see QB's and Coaches reunited.

But if the Bills take Nassib it better be because they think he's significantly better than those around him. 1. He's not really mobile, which in a December home game could concern me. 2. Any failures the QB has are going to be pinned on Marrone, because he's going to be labeled as "his" guy. So to take him you better be damned certain he can do it. 3. The heat will come on both Marrone and Nassib much quicker than it would if Dysert or Jones for example.

WK18? McNabb and Brohm started? I'm a bit confused.

The King
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
WK18? McNabb and Brohm started? I'm a bit confused.
The first part was based on week 18 starters. the last remark was on Big East QB's in recent history,.

Mski
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
The first part was based on week 18 starters. the last remark was on Big East QB's in recent history,.

there's 18 weeks in the season now?

The King
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
haha.

Night Train
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
No one is wrong in this thread...because no QB stands out like Luck and RG3 did last year.

The College All-Star games and the combine are must watches for all of us, to see who has the actual skill set to play QB in the NFL.

I realize the Bills may roll the dice and overdraft a QB in Round 1, due to the glaring need. They may see someone they like who could be had in Round 2 while they find a couple LB's and a WR. Free Agency could take care of a couple needs.

Nassib is easy for connecting the dots.. but keep an open mind. Let's see what's out there first.

tatersalad
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Actually only 4 from sec gabbert was in big twelve so was tannehill

jamze132
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Tracking. WK18 is Wild Card weekend.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm really confused. If we're taking the starters from Week 18/Wild Card weekend, then why is Brian Brohm mentioned? He's never started a playoff game.

The King
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Oui vey. Week 17 Starters.

McNabb and Brohm we're used as Big East comparisons.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Oui vey. Week 17 Starters.

McNabb and Brohm we're used as Big East comparisons.

Well then I wouldn't use Brohm as an example of a QB who's "done well." lol Probably better to use Mike Vick.

The King
01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Well then I wouldn't use Brohm as an example of a QB who's "done well." lol Probably better to use Mike Vick.
I didnt say they did well just picked names people knew....Vick makes sense because it was pre-ACC swap. I didn't account for that.

Tatonka
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Why im wondering? have you ever seen him play?

paladin warrior
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I wish Bills take Alex Smith or Tyler Wilson.

Tatonka
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
qb i want the most - nassib
qb i want the least - barkley

tomz
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Flutie was Big east and so was Hostetler But i see you added lately. It doesn't matter where they come from aside from the program of origin translating into NFL play... If a kid has talent and physical attributes... Pick him!!!

Wasn't Matt Ryan Big East when drafted?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Wasn't Matt Ryan Big East when drafted?

They switched before his sophomore year.

TigerJ
01-08-2013, 04:31 PM

You're right! He's a blond. So is Jimmy Claussen for that matter.

I disagree about him being a good player. His senior stats, though down are still very good. I do think there is a risk factor with him. Any time a player's performance drops from his junior to his senior year, that's a red flag. Maybe it's all due to the fact that USC graduated some outstanding offensive linemen, and the guys who replaced them didn't give Barkley the protection he needed. But that calls into question his ability to perform under pressure. Then there' is the underinflated ball scandal. If you draft him high, then you'd better have done your due dilligence

Jeff1220
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Matt Ryan took his first snaps as BC QB in his freshman year, when they were still Big East. I think that qualifies him. If you go back to the early 2000s or so, you have:
BC - Matt and Tim Hasselback
Brian St. Pierre
(1 solid starter and 2 brief back ups)
Cuse - just McNabb...perhaps Nassib
WVU - Vicks...perhaps Smith
Rutgers - nobody noteworthy
USF - a couple of Arena League guys
Cincy - Tony Pike (b/u Carolina)
Louisville - aside from Brohm, Chris Redman also QBed for the Cardinals.
Temple - uhm, no.
Am I missing any teams? I left out the U since they've been gone for a while with nobody of note since Dorsey.

Jeff1220
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
You're right! He's a blond. So is Jimmy Claussen for that matter.

I disagree about him being a good player. His senior stats, though down are still very good. I do think there is a risk factor with him. Any time a player's performance drops from his junior to his senior year, that's a red flag. Maybe it's all due to the fact that USC graduated some outstanding offensive linemen, and the guys who replaced them didn't give Barkley the protection he needed. But that calls into question his ability to perform under pressure. Then there' is the underinflated ball scandal. If you draft him high, then you'd better have done your due dilligence

Phil Simms? Bradshaw? :ebby:

TigerJ
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Matt Ryan took his first snaps as BC QB in his freshman year, when they were still Big East. I think that qualifies him. If you go back to the early 2000s or so, you have:
BC - Matt and Tim Hasselback
Brian St. Pierre
(1 solid starter and 2 brief back ups)
Cuse - just McNabb...perhaps Nassib
WVU - Vicks...perhaps Smith
Rutgers - nobody noteworthy
USF - a couple of Arena League guys
Cincy - Tony Pike (b/u Carolina)
Louisville - aside from Brohm, Chris Redman also QBed for the Cardinals.
Temple - uhm, no.
Am I missing any teams? I left out the U since they've been gone for a while with nobody of note since Dorsey.

Didn't Vick go to Va Tech?

TigerJ
01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Phil Simms? Bradshaw? :ebby:I was being facetious, Jeff. I know there have been some successful NFL QBs who were blond. Boomer Esiaison is another one and there are at least several others. The Redskins have had a couple if you go back far enough.

YardRat
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
You're ignorant if you don't think he's a good talented player. He wasn't a top recruit in the country for nothing. I agree, USC QB's haven't had the best track record in the NFL over the last decade, and Barkely has benefited from playing with the best WR duo in the country.

Decade? That's all? How far back do you have to go to find a USC QB that had more than moderate/fleeting success in the NFL? Hell, even those few are questionable.

Ingtar33
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
After reading about 4 articles why we should take Nassau - I did a break down of starting NFL QB's by Conference (QB's who started in Week 17 for all NFL Teams). I wanted to see how many Big East QB's have done well in the NFL (lately)

SEC - 7 Starters
Big Ten - 6
ACC - 5
Big 12 - 4
Pac 12 - 3

The rest were all 1.

by your logic you wouldn't have drafted Chad Pennington or Ben Roethlisberger

Jeff1220
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Didn't Vick go to Va Tech?

Yeah. Brain fart. But WVU had Pat White. Forgot about him (easy to do).

Jeff1220
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I was being facetious, Jeff. I know there have been some successful NFL QBs who were blond. Boomer Esiaison is another one and there are at least several others. The Redskins have had a couple if you go back far enough.

I know. But Bradshaw doesn't help the ditzy stereotype.

The King
01-09-2013, 07:19 AM
by your logic you wouldn't have drafted Chad Pennington or Ben Roethlisberger

There were other guys from the other conferences, so they're out there. But for every Ben there are at least 6 failed selections. We can't afford to miss.

MTBillsFan
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM

SEC - 7 Starters
Big Ten - 6
ACC - 5
Big 12 - 4
Pac 12 - 3

The rest were all 1.

McNabb wasn't too bad for a good run there. 4 or 5 championship games and one super bowl.