PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pettine not returning to Jets

BILLSROCK1212
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/report-dennis-thurman-will-become-jets-new-defensive-coordinator/

I wonder why he isn't returning. Is it because of the defense's performance or because he wants out? Based on this, I think that there's a good chance he is our DC by tomorrow. Thoughts?

better days
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/report-dennis-thurman-will-become-jets-new-defensive-coordinator/

I wonder why he isn't returning. Is it because of the defense's performance or because he wants out? Based on this, I think that there's a good chance he is our DC by tomorrow. Thoughts?

The Jets offered him a contract extension before the season ended & he refused to sign it.

Mski
01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
i think he knows the jets w/ rex ryan are a sinking ship, and wants to leave on his own terms, not when the staff gets fired next season, which would make finding a new job more dificult

Ed
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
He's probably just tired of the circus and all the egos.

The bills official site is reporting that he's interviewing with Marrone today. I bet he ends up getting the job.

Goobylal
01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah, he knows that the Jets are a sinking ship. And he'll definitely be offered the job. Hopefully he takes it. And hopefully Pete Carmichael takes the OC job. That would have the makings of a killer staff.

IAG
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Pettine is a great coach.

lmcshadow
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I agree new coach new blood

Albany,n.y.
01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
In Rex's PC today, he said he wishes him the best as long as he doesn't join the Bills. Rex doesn't want him in the AFC East.

Goobylal
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
In Rex's PC today, he said he wishes him the best as long as he doesn't join the Bills. Rex doesn't want him in the AFC East.
Even more reason for Pettine to join the Bills. ;)

Night Train
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I did some reading on him yesterday and saw nothing but positives in his resume. Sounds like a good hire, if it happens.

Attacking, blitzing D scheme that can run a 4-3 or 3-4. We have 4-3 players (DL depth, lacking LB's) so I'm sure that stays. Need a couple LB's in the draft, without question.

One advantage to hiring a HC quickly...quality asst. coaches can be found and Marrone is moving quickly.

jamze132
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
He's honestly probably the best case scenario outside of Dick LeBeau.

ublinkwescore
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM

HIRE THIS MAN - NOW!!! LET US DRIVE SOME NAILS INTO THE COFFIN OF REX RYAN'S CAREER AND GET HIS FAT ASS OUT OF THE AFC EAST!!!!

MikeInRoch
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
He surely knows how to beat Mark Sanchez. Oh wait...

Joe Fo Sho
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM

I was just listening to that press conference. I would be so fed up with Rex right now if I were a Jets fan, all that guy does is talk. As a Bills fan, I love him...because all he does is talk.

trapezeus
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
some jets fans believe rex is themind behind the defense and that MP is just holding a title.

we can never know these things without interviewing these people ourselves. but the jets have had some great defenses. hopefully he got it and is a good strategic mind.

Joe Fo Sho
01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
some jets fans believe rex is themind behind the defense and that MP is just holding a title.

we can never know these things without interviewing these people ourselves. but the jets have had some great defenses. hopefully he got it and is a good strategic mind.

The guy has over 10 years of experience working with the defense for the Jets and the Ravens. I hope he's learned something, those are 2 of the best defenses over that span.

trapezeus
01-08-2013, 03:54 PM
i don't disagree, but if he isn't the guy making the calls, then maybe he's just a guy who coaches players up (great), but the DC will need to be clued into knowing when to change his approach. Wanny liked to stick with his method regardless of the result.

i'm not knocking the guy, i'm just pointing out the potential pitfalls of hiring a guy like him. Some guys do well because of hte hand holding on the team. honestly, as bad as fitz was, if the bills defense was lights out good or even jets good this year, i think the bills could have gotten to the playoffs. obviously it would have been a quick exit based on the WC games, but we would have been there.

Jeff1220
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
The tree that Rex Ryan comes from (via the Ravens) has been once great DC after another. Hopefully Pettine could follow that pattern. Guys like Jack Del Rio, Marvin Lewis, Rex, Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith, Mike Nolan, Chuck Pagano, and, I think, Mike Singletary. Not all HC material, but good defensive minds!

- - - Updated - - -

The tree that Rex Ryan comes from (via the Ravens) has been once great DC after another. Hopefully Pettine could follow that pattern. Guys like Jack Del Rio, Marvin Lewis, Rex, Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith, Mike Nolan, Chuck Pagano, and, I think, Mike Singletary. Not all HC material, but good defensive minds!