PDA

View Full Version : So we almost hired Whisenhunt?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21511211/monday-observations-did-offensive-coordinators-job-chances-stall

Extra points • Ken Whisenhunt was pretty deep into talks with the Bills when they went all in on Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, eventually agreeing to terms with the college coach on Saturday night. The Bills (http://www.billszone.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF/buffalo-bills) had reached a point where they were talking about offsets, and some pretty far-along contract language, according to league sources. One thing the Bills made clear to candidates in the coaching search is that owner Ralph Wilson, who isn't getting any younger, is very committed to spending to secure talent and try to build a winner, and they are open to change at the quarterback position.

No wonder early reports on Whisenhunt. I wonder how many times they met him, but apparently Marrone blew their socks off through the interviews, and I'm guessing that the pursue by the Browns and Eagles of Marrone pushed the Bills his way.

RedEyE
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I also read earlier today the Bills had another interview scheduled for Sunday. Coach not named. But they really liked Marrone and didn't want to let him get away. I'll see if I can find that article again.

I really really hope it was Russ Grimm they canceled on.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I know McCoy postponed. I don't know if it is to the past Sunday or after playoff.

Clearly Kelly is their top guy. They waited until they got to meet Kelly nefore they made their decision.

Oaf
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
If James Harrison doesn't return a 101yd touchdown, is Whisenhunt our coach today?

Guy had some pretty good seasons (3) with a perennially awful team. Why would have this been so bad?

don137
01-09-2013, 06:16 AM
I do think the Bills very well could of lost Marrone to the Browns if they weren't so enamoured with Kelly.

Night Train
01-09-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm calling BS.

This guy was putting out that Whiz was the next HC on Saturday and is trying to save face. Or the agents they use as sources are feeding him stories to save face for their client.

Same goes for that other failure needing a job, Lovie Smith (who Peter King said was the choice Saturday night).

Bill Cody
01-09-2013, 08:55 AM
If James Harrison doesn't return a 101yd touchdown, is Whisenhunt our coach today?

Guy had some pretty good seasons (3) with a perennially awful team. Why would have this been so bad?

I don't think it would have been personally

MikeInRoch
01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
The guy had some pretty good seasons when a Hall of Fame QB got there. Not before nor since.

Mski
01-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Brandon also said that he met with Marrone 5 times, and Kelly and Lovie twice... doesnt seem like more than one meeting meant anything

ghz in pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Tim Graham's take is entirely different.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/01/audio-breaking-down-new-bills-coordinators-hackett-and-pettine.html

Now he didn't officially report it so it may not be true. I would be curious to know what Whisenhunt didn't like about Bills plan for QB ...

JoeMama
01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm glad we didn't go the Ken Whisenhunt route.

I'm still learning new things about Doug Marrone, the vast majority of it positive, and I think he was a better hire.

Marrone! http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/yess2.gif

Bill Cody
01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
The guy had some pretty good seasons when a Hall of Fame QB got there. Not before nor since.

How did Tom Coughlin make out with that Hall of Fame QB? Is Coughlin a good coach? And please name me the NFL coaches that can win with no QB? I'll wait.

Bill Cody
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Same goes for that other failure needing a job, Lovie Smith (who Peter King said was the choice Saturday night).

Defining Lovie Smith as a failure makes the bar pretty high for a coach to be called a success, makes for a short list. And it is pretty damn funny for any fan from Buffalo calling a guy with a .563 winning percentage and 3 playoff appearances in 9 years a failure. He ain't Bill Bellichick but he's a lot better than the clown car we've paraded along the sidelines for over a decade. Just sayin. He wasn't my first choice but he's a pretty solid coach.

Joe Fo Sho
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
How did Tom Coughlin make out with that Hall of Fame QB? Is Coughlin a good coach? And please name me the NFL coaches that can win with no QB? I'll wait.

Warner won 5 of his first 7 with the Giants, then got benched after losing 2 in a row for a 5-4 record. Then Eli came in and won 1 game the rest of the year.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm calling BS.

This guy was putting out that Whiz was the next HC on Saturday and is trying to save face. Or the agents they use as sources are feeding him stories to save face for their client.

It just feels like we're the redheaded stepchild that people dump on all the time. Any loser that nobody else wants, yeah Buffalo will take him.

Mski
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
brian billeck

trapezeus
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
it would be curious to know which team is more snake bitten: the bills or browns. FunTimesYay, we;ll need your opinion.

Will the bills have snagged a great coach ahead of a team that wanted him, but wanted to strive a little higher with chip kelly to only lose out on both.

or does the universe simply continue to screw both teams. The world awaits an answer.

Dozerdog
01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
When 7 teams are all hot and bothered for 3-4 guys, you need to be in talks with more than 1 in case Plan A fails. Plan B, C, & D might be gone by the time you need them

tomz
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
brian billeck

John Gruden. Both he and Billick had awesome D's though.

MikeInRoch
01-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Warner was replaced on the Giants with another Hall of Fame QB. 5-4 isn't that horrible.

Bill Cody
01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Warner was replaced on the Giants with another Hall of Fame QB. 5-4 isn't that horrible.

Exactly the point. You need good QB play to win.