PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Ryan Nassib Scouting Report

DraftBoy
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Normally I would post this in the Scouting Zone and let it die a slow death but with the Hackett and Marrone moves I figured I could have some relevance here.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/01/ryan-nassib-nfl-draft-scouting-report/#more-4407

Prospect: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse Orange
Height: 6’2
Weight: 228 lbs.
Grade: 6.9 (Grading Scale)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM
good stuff thanks for posting!

Fixxxer
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
If they like the guy and think he can translate his game to the pros, and Marrone should know this better than anyone, they should take him before anyone does.

Lone Stranger
01-09-2013, 03:23 AM
If the Bills think that Nassib is the guy they better grab him at #8. They have waited on QBs in the past and have lost them. This is no time to gamble on him falling. There will probably be higher rated players on board at 8 but so be it.

Let the scouting dept. do their jobs and find some gems in later rounds. It aggravated me to hear of the the lower drafted players contributing so well for the playoff teams. It's about time that our resident genious, Buddy Nix, did the same.

kishoph
01-09-2013, 03:45 AM
I've said it previously and people laughed, if the Bills like him and think he's their guy, grab him at 8, do not take the gamble of him being there in a later round. His stock has been rising as it is, if he has a good showing in the Senior Bowl, who knows how high he can go. Myself I don't put a lot into performances in Bowl games, the layoff the players go through is too long to expect top performances. What I like about Nassib is he has good size, a strong arm with a quick release and seems to be a leader and of course having already worked with Marrone and Hackette. What I don't care for, is him not knowing his limitations, as far as trying to force things, but he'll learn with experience. QB should be the Bills #1 concern and while I still like Tyler Wilson, I'd be totally onboard with taking Nassib with the 8th pick.

Night Train
01-09-2013, 05:07 AM
Watching him in several games, he needs to set his feet a bit more when delivering some balls but that's easily correctable. Was clearly comfortable in that K gun Offense and delivered the ball quickly. Some games, his receivers dropped a lot of balls that were right on the money. He's accurate.

I also liked the fact that Offense ran the ball with so much success, like in the bowl game against West Virginia when the bad weather basically eliminated the pass.

TigerJ
01-09-2013, 07:16 AM
I think it is a good sign that he seems to have developed rapidly over the past few years. It appears as if he came to Syracuse as a really raw athletic kid. Marrone and Hackett turned him into a QB. He's still not the most finished product ever to come out of college at the QB spot (Andrew Luck might hold that title), but his rapid development leads one to think he's got a pretty good chance to keep improving in areas like his reads and touch passes. I wouldn't mind him ending up as the Bills draft pick.

The King
01-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I watched his USC game last night.... :sadwalk:

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the writeup Draftboy. I don't know that much about him, but all signs pointing towards us interested in him.

One thing that bothers me in your writeup is how he only throws the fast ball. Has he displayed any touch balls or over the shoulder lob balls in any games? I'd think we need more than a rocket in every pass.

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I can see the bills trading back to the 1st to grab him.

The King
01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
When was the last time a Coach choose to reunite with a college QB. The last time I remember this being a topic was with Cho (OC of Tenn) having a chance at Leinhart and he passed and took Young.

I can't remember any other instances though.

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
When was the last time a Coach choose to reunite with a college QB. The last time I remember this being a topic was with Cho (OC of Tenn) having a chance at Leinhart and he passed and took Young.

I can't remember any other instances though.If there's a better, more talented candidate available, I'm pretty sure they'll take him.

billsburgh
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Tannehill in Miami last year. the OC was his coach in college

trapezeus
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
did the gailey staff in its entirety get let go? is david lee still available to provide QB guidance, or is it safe to say someone else will fill that role?

not that lee worked magic with fitz, but i can see working with a 30 yr old who was successful last year before an injury much harder than a 23 yr old who trusts his coaches because they made him better.

reading that review, the negatives are fixable. i think a rocket arm guy can learn touch. i dont think weak arm guys can learn to win in december at the ralph.

DraftBoy
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
The entire Bills Coaching staff was fired

Yasgur's Farm
01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I can see the bills trading back to the 1st to grab him.That's the ticket!

Yasgur's Farm
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Nice article DB... If they really like him, I'd be OK with a late 1st, early 2nd for him.

Figster
01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
It makes perfect sense to draft Ryan Nassib,

If it needs to be the 8th pick overall then so be it...

Yasgur's Farm
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Ideal scenario is a trade down in the 1st as far as possible.

TigerJ
01-10-2013, 09:10 PM
If there's a better, more talented candidate available, I'm pretty sure they'll take him.

I agree. Marrone and Hackett aren't married to the guy. If they can get a better guy, get the better guy, but at least Nassib has the potential to grow into a solid NFL starter if the Bills do end up drafting him.

Figster
01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Ideal scenario is a trade down in the 1st as far as possible.

The problem, we don't know how far possible is because other teams could be looking real hard at Ryan Nassib and the QB class is weak.

Crisis
01-11-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm really not a fan of Nassib and my biggest fear is us reaching for him because of the Syracuse connection

Figster
01-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm really not a fan of Nassib and my biggest fear is us reaching for him because of the Syracuse connection

If the Bills for instance happen to draft Ryan Nassib 8th overall, considering our HC and OC know Nassib probably better then any other HC and OC in the NFL, then its not a reach in my opinion. You have to take into consideration the reduced learning curve accomplished by keeping starting signal caller with OC/HC.

The Buffalo Bills have been searching for the right fit at the QB position for over a decade now.

Ryan Nassib is that guy...

zone
01-11-2013, 06:48 AM
All this talk of reaching and not being worth this pick or that pick is BS. Think of as back yard football and your the captain your going to take the guy you want the most when your pick comes up, when you play the game and the guy picked 3rd is scoring all the TD's does it really matter? All that matters is you get the players on your team that you want. Who cares when you pick them.

Would it have been a reach for Seattle to pick Wilson in the first round? They were already lambasted for where they picked him, do you think that Seattle would have cared today if they took him in the first round?

If they think Nassib can be the next Jim Kelly they sure as **** better take him at #8.

EDS
01-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Normally I would post this in the Scouting Zone and let it die a slow death but with the Hackett and Marrone moves I figured I could have some relevance here.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/01/ryan-nassib-nfl-draft-scouting-report/#more-4407

Your write-up on his leadership contradicts some of the other things I have read about him - specifically that he is not a real take charge guy and that the SU staff needed to encourage him to take up the leadership mantel. That is not to say he doesn't work hard. That part I think is consistent, but he has been characterized as a guy that just likes to do his job and not a true field general that can marshall the troops so to speak.

All that said, I like him in the third round or later.

justasportsfan
01-11-2013, 09:27 AM
NIx said he will bring in a franchise qb before he leaves which could be after the draft. There is no better person to ask if Nassib could be a future franchise qb than Marrone and Hacket themselves. If they think so, Nix could reach for him.

Extremebillsfan247
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Well, I'm not a scout but here's what I think of him based on what I've seen.

He's got a good arm, but he's not the most accurate QB I've ever seen. You rarely ever see him throw the ball away when a play breaks down. When a play does break down, he will do 1 of 2 things, either run with it, or hold onto the ball, move outside the pocket, and wait for a receiver to get open. The problem with it is that in the NFL defenses are too good. Holding onto the ball for longer than 3 to 5 seconds, and most QB's are eating turf.

He's not afraid to throw into tight windows which is a good thing. It's one of those things Fitzpatrick is well known for. The problem with that in the NFL is that you better be accurate, or just like Fitzpatrick, he's going to get picked a lot. Because of his height, he's going to have issues standing in the pocket and completing passes over the middle. Expect to see a lot of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage. That's how I see Nassib. I wouldn't burn my Jersey of the Bills drafted him. But, I suspect he's going to struggle in the NFL probably for his first 2 years as a pro. This is just my opinion based on what little I've seen of him.