PDA

View Full Version : If you want Nassib...

X-Era
01-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Take two QB's in this draft. I'm not sold on him. As a Cuse fan I've watched him for years and he can be very inconsistent.

But, the important point is that all the QB's this year have looked inconsistent.

It could be a case where you take the guy you like because they all rank fairly closely.

And what you could do is draft two.

Move down from 8 and take Geno Smith later in the 1st and use one 2nd on Nassib and the other 2nd on another need. And by doing that you also pick up yet another pick or two later on in the draft.

The other option is to sign next years starter (Alex Smith), draft Nassib, and if it doesn't work make your big QB splash in a future year with a much better crop.

RedEyE
01-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I think if they are planning on letting Fitz go and TJ walk, they will need to get at least one FA QB, if not two, and draft a couple as well. They're going to have to rebuild the QB position and they'll need to open camp up to a full on competition for QB1.

With that being said, I hope people understand that there is a really good possibility that Fitzpatrick remains in Buffalo.

k-oneputt
01-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Tyler Wilson in rd.1 and Nassib in rd.3 .
If Nassib doesn't make it to the 3rd then so be it. They had better not use the 8th pick in the draft on this kid.

Bulldog
01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Tyler Wilson in rd.1 and Nassib in rd.3 .
If Nassib doesn't make it to the 3rd then so be it. They had better not use the 8th pick in the draft on this kid.

I understand not wanting to use the 8th pick on Nassib, but theres no way in hell he lasts until the thrid round. My guess, knowing how much the QB position is valued in a passing league, is he goes in the 20-32 range at the latest.

streetkings01
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
How do we know Geno Smith is even rated high by NFL teams? Is it because guys like Kiper, McShay and websites say he is? Wasn't Claussen considered a top 15 pick at point only to fall out of the 1st round. I dont want this team to draft a QB in the 1st round just to draft one.........thats when you end up with the Losmans, Gabberts and Quinns. I just see nothing out of Geno Smith that gets me excited.

Mski
01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
take Barkley at 8, and Nassib at 40

psubills62
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm very confident Buffalo will not draft Nassib at #8.

Honestly...would not be surprised if they did take two QB's, though.

Joe Fo Sho
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Take Pete Carroll's approach. Bring in a bunch of different quarterbacks and have a REAL QB competition. He traded for Whitehurst, gave big money to Flynn, and drafted Wilson...while still having Jackson on the roster. Everyone started on a level field, and he gave the job to the QB who performed the best.

Night Train
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Who can run the K Gun ?

I think we already know the answer, with the coaches we have in place.

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
If the bills like Nassib, I can see them reaching for him if his stock rises during the columbine.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
If Geno actually did fall to #8 we should absolutely grab him there.

Bill Cody
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
What if you don't want Nassib? Can we have a thread for that?

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
If Geno actually did fall to #8 we should absolutely grab him there.

Nassib is attending the senior bowl, Geno isn't.

Figster
01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I understand not wanting to use the 8th pick on Nassib, but theres no way in hell he lasts until the thrid round. My guess, knowing how much the QB position is valued in a passing league, is he goes in the 20-32 range at the latest.

I believe you could be right becuase Nassibs stock is on the rise,

Buffalo might be able to trade back a little deeper into round 1, gain a 3rd rounder perhaps, and draft Nassib later in the 1st

G Wolly
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
If the bills like Nassib, I can see them reaching for him if his stock rises during the columbine.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Nassib is attending the senior bowl, Geno isn't.

I heard that, but it doesn't put me off him.

trapezeus
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM
i thought shanahan was an idiot for taking two qb's last year based on their team's utter lack of production. we smoked them 26-0. I thought they needed more help than just a qb to get better.

yet, he's looking pretty bright right about now.

the bills are in a similar situation. they had grossman and beck. neither were coming back, so two qb's are needed. We have fitz and thigpen and tjax. maybe 1 or none come back. you'll need two qbs.

DesertFox24
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
You say second now for Nassib everyone said late first Tannehill last year he went top 10.

KC, JAX, Eagles, Browns, Cards, Bills, Jets are all teams in the top 10 that could conceivably draft a QB due to new coaches and GMs or like us and the Jets no QB at all.

Guys like Nassib, Wilson, Glennon will go early this year.

I have a feeling we will be drafting a QB in the top 10 when all is said and done.

Personally I would draft them like this

1. Wilson - will sky rocket at senior bowl he is a talent played with little and no OL
2. Nassib - Nassib over Glennon due to mobility and fewer dumb throws
3. Glennon - prototypical guy I am concerned about pocket presence and recognition skills
4. Bray - Great arm more mobile than Glennon, more erratic as well but some things to work with
5. Geno Smith - He needs a dome or warm weather team in my opinion very little arm strength see bowl game where he consistently missed easy throws
6. Zac Dyserrt - Development
7. Brad Sorenson - Southern Utah Southeast Corner or something this years Skelton
8. Barkley - Not a fan played with tremendous talent, but he is short and from what I have read small hands. Another guy that needs dome or warm weather

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
If the bills like Nassib, I can see them reaching for him if his stock rises during the columbine
:hitself:

Bert102176
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
i thought shanahan was an idiot for taking two qb's last year based on their team's utter lack of production. we smoked them 26-0. I thought they needed more help than just a qb to get better.

yet, he's looking pretty bright right about now.

the bills are in a similar situation. they had grossman and beck. neither were coming back, so two qb's are needed. We have fitz and thigpen and tjax. maybe 1 or none come back. you'll need two qbs.

Thigpen and tjax are both FA's

Joe Fo Sho
01-09-2013, 12:36 PM
G Wolly, you have the perfect avatar for that quoted reply.

NC-BILLS44
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
First round pick should be used for a playmaking linebacker. Take Nassib in the 2nd round.

jamze132
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I say we pick up Alex Smith and draft BPA. **** drafting two QBs.

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Nassib could be this years Christian Ponder/ Gabbert / Tannehill

tatersalad
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I think we run soem variation of thewest coast offense why not relieve seattle of that huge contract on flynn? we know he is well versed in that from his time at green bay.

MTBillsFan
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
I think the cards are stacked for the Bills to take Nassib at 8. I would love to see an honest QB competition happen ala Seattle. Things turned out pretty well for them. Plus, Nassib is a western PA kid not some nancy boy from So.Cal.

Night Train
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I think we run soem variation of thewest coast offense why not relieve seattle of that huge contract on flynn? we know he is well versed in that from his time at green bay.

The difference, pro or con, is Marrone & Hackett know Nassib first hand.

If he isn't the guy, they know better than anyone.

If he is the guy..well..

kishoph
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
I've been on the Tyler Wilson bandwagon all year, but with the hiring of Marrone and Hackette, I've been looking a lot more at Nassib. They're pretty similar in size and arm strength, Wilson may be a little more accurate, but Nassib has a quicker release, both can move in the pocket, but neither is really fleet footed. The relationship that Nassib has with the coach and OC could be the deal breaker. IMO, Nassib will not make it to the 2nd round, he's being ranked as the #4 QB prospect and has been rising, foxsports has him going with the 6th pick to the Browns, of course there's very rarely anything concrete with mock drafts, they're simply peoples predictions. I think and starting to hope that the Bills take him with their 1st pick.

Jeff1220
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630528/ryan-nassib

"No words can really put it into perspective. I am not a very good story teller, I love him and am so proud of him. He really worked extremely hard on his development in my mind we haven't even seen the best of Ryan Nassib. His development is going to take off and I truly believe that from what I have seen." Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, on the leadership of senior quarterback Ryan Nassib - The Sports Xchange

If Marrone meant this, I could definitely see Nassib being the pick.

Extremebillsfan247
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Take two QB's in this draft. I'm not sold on him. As a Cuse fan I've watched him for years and he can be very inconsistent.

But, the important point is that all the QB's this year have looked inconsistent.

It could be a case where you take the guy you like because they all rank fairly closely.

Move down from 8 and take Geno Smith later in the 1st and use one 2nd on Nassib and the other 2nd on another need. And by doing that you also pick up yet another pick or two later on in the draft.

The other option is to sign next years starter (Alex Smith), draft Nassib, and if it doesn't work make your big QB splash in a future year with a much better crop.
First, I think whether we want, or don't want Nassib is completely irrelevant because we have no say on whether this team drafts him or not. 2nd, just because the Bills named Marrone HC, and Hackett for OC, doesn't necessarily mean Nassib is a shoo in to land in Buffalo. When Harbaugh went to the 49ers, rumors were rampant before his inaugural season started with San Fransisco that he would tank their season to draft Andrew Luck. That didn't happen. Just throwing that out there.

YardRat
01-09-2013, 07:24 PM
If they really do want Nassib, they won't be able to wait until the second to grab him. The draft is going to be very interesting to follow this year.

Bone
01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Nassib is this years tannenhill

BertSquirtgum
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Some of you guys are bonkers. Nassib won't be drafted before the 4th round.

Mad Max
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM

After seeing guys like Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker he very well could be taken in the first. I just hope it's not by us (that early especially, and maybe not at all in any round).

I see very little touch in the guys passes. They're all fastballs, regardless of the distance or situation. I just don't think that can be taught.

The current guy I got a man crush on is dysert. He's going to the Senior Bowl. Let's see what he does. If this guy is there in the second, he'd be my pick as of this moment.

kishoph
01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
After seeing guys like Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker he very well could be taken in the first. I just hope it's not by us (that early especially, and maybe not at all in any round).

I see very little touch in the guys passes. They're all fastballs, regardless of the distance or situation. I just don't think that can be taught.

The current guy I got a man crush on is dysert. He's going to the Senior Bowl. Let's see what he does. If this guy is there in the second, he'd be my pick as of this moment.

I seen Zac Dysert play against UB (and lose), while it was a windy day and hard to judge a QB, it didn't seem like he had a lot of zip on his throws to deal with the Buffalo winds. Also he played in a shotgun offense with a lot of short throws and slants (I've seen enough of that from the Bills lately), right now to me, he looks more like a game manager, more so than a game changer. I like the idea of taking a second QB and Dysert might be a good choice for that in the 3rd round, but there's probably a half of dozen QB'S that I would take before him, as the first QB taken by the Bills.
As far as Nassib having no touch on throws, watch more video on him, I think he has shown touch on passes.

YardRat
01-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Scott from Arizona, in the fifth or later.

swiper
01-10-2013, 05:41 AM
You're all just a big bunch of Tyler Thigpen haters!

Bulldog
01-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Yeah, we're the ones who are bonkers. The 4th round. Whatever.

Mad Max
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
I seen Zac Dysert play against UB (and lose), while it was a windy day and hard to judge a QB, it didn't seem like he had a lot of zip on his throws to deal with the Buffalo winds. Also he played in a shotgun offense with a lot of short throws and slants (I've seen enough of that from the Bills lately), right now to me, he looks more like a game manager, more so than a game changer. I like the idea of taking a second QB and Dysert might be a good choice for that in the 3rd round, but there's probably a half of dozen QB'S that I would take before him, as the first QB taken by the Bills.
As far as Nassib having no touch on throws, watch more video on him, I think he has shown touch on passes.

could Dysert lack arm strength? Maybe, but I saw plenty of arm in what I've seen of him. I used to be enamored with arm strength but finally realized that the vast majority of the cannon armed guys end up as average or backups. I look for overall effectiveness. I think this guy may have the big picture talent.

I've also seen enough of Nassib to feel that he lacks touch. (Google it and you'll see lots of people including Cuse fans coming to the same conclusion).

Guess that's why the draft is such a crapshoot. Different people (even the ones that get paid to do so) can see and evaluate the same players very differently.

mjt328
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Personally, I don't understand why everyone hates Matt Barkley now.

Sure, the guy's numbers trailed off a bit from his junior year. But he still played better than most of these bozos now expected to go before him (cough...Ryan Nassib, cough...Mike Glennon).

It's almost like the spotlight was on Barkley all year as the "favored #1 pick", and when he didn't reach expectations, everyone completely jumped off the bandwagon. Suddenly, people say he's got a weak arm. Please. The guy has one of the nicest deep balls in college football.

Figster
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
You're all just a big bunch of Tyler Thigpen haters!

:bf1:

Extremebillsfan247
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
If the Bills drafted Nassib, it may not exactly be a bad thing. He'd be going to a team with a coaching staff that is very familiar with his talents, and what he does best. Pairing him with Fitzpatrick would also be good because even though Fitzpatrick isn't a very good starting QB, his knowledge of the game is tremendous. With an inexperienced OC in Hackett, he is going to need all the help he can get with grooming a young QB. The fact that Hackett has first hand knowledge of Nassib will work in his favor. It wouldn't surprise me much to see the Bills reach in the first to draft Nassib. It doesn't mean I think that they will though. We will just have to see how it plays out, if they plan to move forward with Fitzpatrick, or scrap him for a new stop gap QB etc. With a new regime, nothing should be ruled out. JMO

Jeff1220
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I think Fitz is gone. The money seems to point that way.

kishoph
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
If the Bills drafted Nassib, iPairing him with Fitzpatrick would also be good because even though Fitzpatrick isn't a very good starting QB, his knowledge of the game is tremendous. With an inexperienced OC in Hackett, he is going to need all the help he can get with grooming a young QB.

There was nothing in his game last season that would lead me to believe that his knowledge of the game is that great, there were numerous times where the clock was running down and he showed no urgency and looked uncertain, I know a lot of the blame was put on Gailey, but a QB should know when he has to hurry and when not. It seemed he never was able to pick up or recognize a blitz. There wasn't a lot of football smarts in his decision to sneak the ball on 1st and 10, he couldn't audible to anything better than that ? Stevie also brought up around the 10th game that Fitz wasn't able to change plays at the line, which Gailey denied, but if that was true, was the reason because Gailey didn't trust Fitz ? I don't think that there's anything Fitz could teach a young QB that the OC or a qualified QB coach couldn't teach him. As I said in a previous post, this is a brand new offense coming in, one that Fitz will have to learn himself, his knowledge of the last offense amounts to squat.

SABURZFAN
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I just want to see them draft a QB that fits their style of offense.

Extremebillsfan247
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
There was nothing in his game last season that would lead me to believe that his knowledge of the game is that great, there were numerous times where the clock was running down and he showed no urgency and looked uncertain, I know a lot of the blame was put on Gailey, but a QB should know when he has to hurry and when not. It seemed he never was able to pick up or recognize a blitz. There wasn't a lot of football smarts in his decision to sneak the ball on 1st and 10, he couldn't audible to anything better than that ? Stevie also brought up around the 10th game that Fitz wasn't able to change plays at the line, which Gailey denied, but if that was true, was the reason because Gailey didn't trust Fitz ? I don't think that there's anything Fitz could teach a young QB that the OC or a qualified QB coach couldn't teach him. As I said in a previous post, this is a brand new offense coming in, one that Fitz will have to learn himself, his knowledge of the last offense amounts to squat.

What Gailey thought, or did is what led him to getting fired, just saying. Fitz has one of the highest IQ's in the sport. The real knock against him has always been his physical talent. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him becoming an offensive coordinator in the NFL one day, and a good one. JMO

coastal
01-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Gangnam style

kishoph
01-12-2013, 03:46 AM
What Gailey thought, or did is what led him to getting fired, just saying. Fitz has one of the highest IQ's in the sport. The real knock against him has always been his physical talent. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him becoming an offensive coordinator in the NFL one day, and a good one. JMO

Having a high IQ doesn't necessarily translate into being football smart.

JoeMama
01-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Hey I did a pretty good job predicting this.

Nassib in round 2.

kishoph
01-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Hey I did a pretty good job predicting this.

Nassib in round 2.

The value of a good QB is increasing weekly, look at all the QB's that are still in the playoffs, Joe Flacco may be the worst of them, every QB still in, except Flacco and Matt Schaub had a QB rating of at least 98.7 (Brady). I know QB rating is not the best way to judge, but still it shows you something. Teams are realizing how important it is to have a top tier QB (and back up) that there easily could be a run in the draft. Ten 1st or 2nd year QB's started for their teams last season, five of them look like they'll lead their teams for years to come, with 2 still up in the air (Tannehill, Weeden). That's 7 out of 10, that will either be the starter or a decent backup out of the last 2 drafts. Four of them made it to the playoffs (although it's hard to include Ponder).
Nassib is ranked as the 4th best prospect right now, before the Senior Bowl, combine and pro days, where he could still rise, my point is that I doubt the we'll see Nassib last into the 2nd round, I can see 4 QB's being selected in the 1st round, possibly more if teams start to panic that the guy they thought of getting might no be there in a later round. I think there could be 7 teams that will draft a QB before the end of the 2nd day in the upcoming draft.

YardRat
01-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon, Bray, Dysert, Jones, Emanuel.

If we draft any of them at 8, it will be a poor choice. There should be at least three, maybe four available when we get to our pick in the second.

Figster
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM

If we draft any of them at 8, it will be a poor choice. There should be at least three, maybe four available when we get to our pick in the second.

This notion where you pick in the draft order should override what player will fit your football team/system the best is hog wash.

If Ryan Nassib is the best fit for our football team at the QB position I could care less If we use our 8th pick overall on the Bills most important position.

Bert102176
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Uui

I don't want geno smith on this team, he is not that good u all talk crap about Te'o and his bowl game well did u watch Geno's bowl game yes it was one game same crap different player

Bert102176
01-12-2013, 02:25 PM
By the way we have a geno smith on our team already named brad smith same player

Bert102176
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
:bf1:

Damn skippie I am he is trash

stuckincincy
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I just want to see them draft a QB that fits their style of offense.

Kelly Holcomb Mk. II ? :couch:

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
By the way we have a geno smith on our team already named brad smith same player

ROFLMAO, because they're both black, right?

Bert102176
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
First round pick should be used for a playmaking linebacker. Take Nassib in the 2nd round.

Exactly

Bert102176
01-12-2013, 05:00 PM
ROFLMAO, because they're both black, right?

No and that statement by u is just racist

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
No and that statement by u is just racist

Then explain how Geno Smith is anything like Brad Smith.

Slim
01-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Then explain how Geno Smith is anything like Brad Smith.

I agree Ill. One of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever seen on here. Even if you've never seen the two play, the stats show how different they are:

Brad Smith ran for over a thousand yards 3 times at Missouri. Geno Smith ran for 342 yards total while at WV. Brad Smith thew for 56 td's and 33 int's with a 56.3 completion percentage(5.9 ypa). Geno Smith threw for 98 td's and 21 int's with a 67.4 completion percentage (8.0 ypa).

Brad Smith was in the mold of a slash type player coming out. Geno Smith is a QB, who can throw the **** out of the football.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
I agree Ill. One of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever seen on here. Even if you've never seen the two play, the stats show how different they are:

Brad Smith ran for over a thousand yards 3 times at Missouri. Geno Smith ran for 342 yards total while at WV. Brad Smith thew for 56 td's and 33 int's with a 56.3 completion percentage(5.9 ypa). Geno Smith threw for 98 td's and 21 int's with a 67.4 completion percentage (8.0 ypa).

Brad Smith was in the mold of a slash type player coming out. Geno Smith is a QB, who can throw the **** out of the football.

Yeah, in terms of the type of player they are and the system they came from, Geno is closer to Sam Bradford.

Slim
01-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, in terms of the type of player they are and the system they came from, Geno is closer to Sam Bradford.

Interesting comparison, I can see it though.

swiper
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Exactly.

better days
01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Exactly.

There may be 4 QBs available in the 2nd. The question is will any of them be any good? EVER?