• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

What a refreshing change thus far

It's nice to see us moving quickly in hiring a coaching staff for a change. The last few times we were always one of the last teams to hire a HC, interviewing everyone else's leftovers and by the time we got our guy, all the assistant coaches were gone. This time by getting Marrone early, we were able to get Pettine right out of the gate, and already onto filling out the other coaching positions. We can even start evaluating players early, etc.

Look at the other teams that don't have coahces yet, Philly, Cleveland, San Diego, Chicago, and they're all interviewing the same 5 guys round and round and there's really nothing sexy out there. So they'll end up doing what we did in the past, settle on someone else's trash and have nothing for assistants.

Looks like maybe Russ is moving forward with a new culture!

• Bone
    Bone
    • Oct 2006

Re: What a refreshing change thus far

I agree 100%. I am not used to the Bills hiring people that I have actually heard of before.
    BILLIEVE

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Jan 2010

i know it's early, but i think russ taking over has a lot to do with real name coaches who other teams want coming here... im still cynical after so many years of losing, but it does feel refreshing and these new coaches seem much more competent and with the times... jmo

Comment

• mikemac2001
        is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
        • Mar 2003

Espically Coach's leaving there teams withen the div

i think we have made a hard push to change the image we have...i liked all the hires so far

MUCK
        FIAMI

Comment

• BigZ
          • Sep 2003

I'm a little concerned about a college OC but that's the HC's expertise. Glad we got an up and coming DC who's AGGRESSIVE.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

This is the first time in a long time im really feeling good about the bills and now just blind optimism

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

I love the optimism, Miyagi, but I still want to see a lot more (like wins, among many other things) before I get too excited.

I do like getting our coaches on board early before other teams might try to hire them.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

In once sense, I really like the youth and energy that seems to be the theme of the new Bills coaching staff thus far. However, one of the criticisms I remember having of Gregg Williams and his coaching staff was that he seemed inclined to hire only people that were younger and/or less experienced than he was, as if he felt that too much knowledge and experience was threatening to him. I hope Marrone doesn't make the same mistake. I'd like to see at least a few grizzled veterans in coaching included in the staff. Maybe that's only because I'm grizzled and old.

Also, I really hope there is some color in his coaching staff when all is said and done. So far it's all lily white.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

This board has gone through every stage of a 16 year old girl the last week.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    Welcome to the internet.

Comment

• Bone
                      Bone
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      this is going to be my "first time" in five years...seeing the bills actually blitz!
                      BILLIEVE

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

I want to see a team that has an attitude. Look at Pitt, Bal, NE. These teams all play with a chip on their shoulder and take every loss personally. That's what I want to see.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

Not only are they two intriguing hires, but I also get the sense that Marrone is "fired up".

It's refreshing to have a head coach come in and immediately want to get to work.

Pettine was a fantastic hire for us. While the jury is still out on Hackett, I've heard he is highly thought of as a rising star in this league and for its future.

About as innovative as they come and let's not forget that Marrone will put his own stamp on the playbook as well. So the 33 year old may be calling the plays, but it's not all on him to develop an NFL playbook.

So I sense that we may be a hybrid of New Orleans Saints and K-GUN hurry up offense.
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Oh, c'mon Miyagi...obviously you're not listening closely enough to those who believe they pulled names out of a hat last Monday and took the first guy Brandon could respond to with 'Hey! I know him!!'.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Gibby
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                              It's nice to see us moving quickly in hiring a coaching staff for a change. The last few times we were always one of the last teams to hire a HC, interviewing everyone else's leftovers and by the time we got our guy, all the assistant coaches were gone. This time by getting Marrone early, we were able to get Pettine right out of the gate, and already onto filling out the other coaching positions. We can even start evaluating players early, etc.

Look at the other teams that don't have coahces yet, Philly, Cleveland, San Diego, Chicago, and they're all interviewing the same 5 guys round and round and there's really nothing sexy out there. So they'll end up doing what we did in the past, settle on someone else's trash and have nothing for assistants.

Looks like maybe Russ is moving forward with a new culture!

I won't lie, when I first read that Marrone was our HC I was angry because I wanted Lovie Smith or Andy Reid, but I have to say that while I am still not sure about his OC, his DC selection shows me he wants to win and he is going to do so at the expense of a division rival. Also, the alacrity and speed with which he has made his coordinator hires suggests to me that he has a vision about what he wants. I don't know how well he is going to do this fall but I think he should at least be able to equal Chan's 6-10s and the future all of a sudden looks bright.

Comment

Working...
                              X