PDA

View Full Version : K-Gun/Saints Offense with a Ravens/Jets Defense?

Don't Panic
01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I think I can get on board with that. Other people who should be happy with this...

Stevie, TJ Graham, Spiller, the whole O Line, possibly Chandler. Mario, Dareus, KWilliams, Gilmore, Byrd, possibly even Merriman.

Others?

Jaybird
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
so far so good... but until we find a QB I aint happy

mikemac2001
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Need a trigger who can hit the target

OpIv37
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
We don't have the QB or the TE for the K gun.

justasportsfan
01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
we need a kicker for the K-Gun

RedEyE
01-09-2013, 01:33 PM

^ This

I wouldn't have high expectations for this team year one. They still need a few pieces to fill this puzzle and if they end up with a rookie QB it may take some time getting the offense up to speed.

Don't Panic
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM

You are absolutely convinced that Chandler can't fill the McKeller/Metzalaars role?

MTBillsFan
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Chandler can fit the role of McKeller and Metzalaars however, he needs to see Adrian Peterson's knee doctor and rehab team. Otherwise, what does the free agent situation look like for TE? Cause Lee Smith ain't gonna do it.

TigerJ
01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Chandler can certainly fill the Metzelaars role (and BTW, I think he could be a great coaching resource if this is going to be the Bills offense), but someone with speed at the TE position would be very helpful to any offense patterned after the K-gun.

trapezeus
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
nelson should be back next year right?
i thought the bills might address the WR situation through Freeagency. then the bills will have a couple 5 WR packages and if they resign levitre may be in good shape. at that point, high cost underperformers (merriman, kelsay, Fitz, maybe even anderson) will be out the door because we'll need the money to resign (levitre, byrd, and FA WR).

This topic is obviously a best case scenario, but the billls at least have some of the items to make it remotely possible. Whereas last time around, the bills literally had nothing.

RedEyE
01-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Chandler is going to be hard pressed to make the season opener. He tore his ACL. He's going to miss all of the offseason camps, the preseason and might be lucky enough to be back before week 2-3 if rehab goes well.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Well that's certainly a switch from us looking like the Jets offense and Saints defense the last few seasons.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Chandler is going to be hard pressed to make the season opener. He tore his ACL. He's going to miss all of the offseason camps, the preseason and might be lucky enough to be back before week 2-3 if rehab goes well.

welker, wood, peterson, all came back in 6-7 months...

he should be ready opening day... its not like it was 20 years ago

kishoph
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Chandler can certainly fill the Metzelaars role (and BTW, I think he could be a great coaching resource if this is going to be the Bills offense), but someone with speed at the TE position would be very helpful to any offense patterned after the K-gun.

I don't know what people are expecting out of Chandler, he's no Gronkowski, but he is certainly a good, above average TE. Chandler ranked 16th in YPC and 8th in TD's for TE's, considering he was targeted far less than the top TE's in the league and had Fitz as a QB, those are pretty good numbers. Just for kicks, Gronkowski's 40 time was 4.68, Chandler's 4.78.
Metzelaars was the Bills TE coach, but was let go with the rest of the staff, I think it would be a smart move to bring him back.

RedEyE
01-09-2013, 07:51 PM
welker, wood, peterson, all came back in 6-7 months...

he should be ready opening day... its not like it was 20 years ago

Someone may want to inform the Bills of that revelation. 7-9 months according to CBrown's report:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/12/27/chandler-ready-for-upcoming-rehab/

YardRat
01-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Chandler can fit the role of McKeller and Metzalaars

I like Chandler, but oh, hell no. He's good in the seams, but doesn't have the speed to stretch the center of the field vertically like McKeller could, and he isn't even near the same league as Metzelaars in the blocking dept...the guy was basically a sixth offensive lineman.

clumping platelets
01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
We need blitzing LB's and another shutdown CB. I wouldn't doubt the Bills go after DT Mike Devito as a UFA to bolster inside depth.

- - - Updated - - -

We need Eifert!!

mysticsoto
01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
nelson should be back next year right?
i thought the bills might address the WR situation through Freeagency. then the bills will have a couple 5 WR packages and if they resign levitre may be in good shape. at that point, high cost underperformers (merriman, kelsay, Fitz, maybe even anderson) will be out the door because we'll need the money to resign (levitre, byrd, and FA WR).

This topic is obviously a best case scenario, but the billls at least have some of the items to make it remotely possible. Whereas last time around, the bills literally had nothing.

I thought I heard Fitz gets paid regardless of whether we cut him or not. If that's the case, he can remain the back up...

jpdex12
01-10-2013, 07:44 AM

I would expect if RGIII can be ready or almost ready by week one that Chandler should since he injured his knee before RGIII. Maybe not...everyone heals differently.

kishoph
01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I thought I heard Fitz gets paid regardless of whether we cut him or not. If that's the case, he can remain the back up...

I believe if they release Fitz it will still cost them $10 million against the cap, if they keep him, it will cost them $10.5 Million. Myself I don't want him anywhere near our future QB, it's not like he can teach him the offense, since that offense will be long gone. Can he teach him how to throw, mechanics, how to escape the rush or would he just concentrate on teaching him on how to lock onto a receiver. The more poison they get rid of from last years team, the better.

OpIv37
01-10-2013, 08:26 AM
You are absolutely convinced that Chandler can't fill the McKeller/Metzalaars role?

Yes. He's a solid TE who makes his living in the Red Zone but isn't the all around TE that McKellar and Metz were. He's also hurt and not likely to be ready for the start of next season.

If the FO/staff truly wants to go with a K-gun style O, they can't risk Chandler not being ready or not being up to the task.

RedEyE
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I would expect if RGIII can be ready or almost ready by week one that Chandler should since he injured his knee before RGIII. Maybe not...everyone heals differently.

According to Chris Brown's report from the team 7-9 months. And on Tuesday the ESPN crew had a surgeon on explaining the impact and severity of RGIIIs injuries. He said at the earliest he expects RGIII to return would be around weeks 3-6 of regular season.

Both Chandler and RGIII tore the most crucial of the 4 ligaments in knee, the ACL. There are some reports that RGIII also damaged his LCL. Combined he could be out anywhere from 6-12 months. He also said that no two injuries or surgeries are really exactly the same. But best case scenario is Chandler is on the field Pre Season.

ServoBillieves
01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
We need some Ted Marchibroda up in this piece!

That being said, there's no comparison with what we have on this team at the moment through QB/TE. We have the WR's for it, we have the versatile backfield, but we do need a healthy TE option and a QB with the ability to run it. Fitz "has the intelligence" but not the skill. It needs equal parts intelligence and talent. I agree with guys who say Chandler won't be ready, since he'd have to learn the offense and go through the motions to be equal with Metz. Dorin and Lee aren't the other answers (sorry DD) on the opposite side, so I expect a mid-round TE this year.

That being said, I'm gonna give Tim Euhus a call here shortly, he may be the answer.

Don't Panic
01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
I believe if they release Fitz it will still cost them $10 million against the cap, if they keep him, it will cost them $10.5 Million.

I read that recently as well. All the more reason for him to stay in my opinion. He would be an ideal backup (although highly paid one) in this upcoming season, especially if we're grooming a rookie.

Myself I don't want him anywhere near our future QB, it's not like he can teach him the offense, since that offense will be long gone. Can he teach him how to throw, mechanics, how to escape the rush or would he just concentrate on teaching him on how to lock onto a receiver. The more poison they get rid of from last years team, the better.

Poison? Hmm... that's pretty harsh. Although I have lost faith in Fitz the starter, I think he is the consummate teammate and would do nothing to impede the progress of our next QB. Based on that, and the fact that we save nothing for cutting him, I think its a no-brainer that he stays for one more year.

kishoph
01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I read that recently as well. All the more reason for him to stay in my opinion. He would be an ideal backup (although highly paid one) in this upcoming season, especially if we're grooming a rookie.

Poison? Hmm... that's pretty harsh. Although I have lost faith in Fitz the starter, I think he is the consummate teammate and would do nothing to impede the progress of our next QB. Based on that, and the fact that we save nothing for cutting him, I think its a no-brainer that he stays for one more year.

Maybe poison's not the right word, loser is better. I can't see what he can bring to this new offense. I have no faith in a QB that can't make the simplest of throws on a constant basis, every throw with him is a hit or miss. Fitz was more responsible than any other player on this team for losing. He's also due a $200,000 workout bonus and a $3 Millon roster bonus. It would be different if it was still Gailey and his offense, but it's not. He may not do anything to impede the progress of a young QB, but I honestly think that's there's nothing he can do to improve it, that the coaches can't do.

ServoBillieves
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe poison's not the right word, loser is better. I can't see what he can bring to this new offense. I have no faith in a QB that can't make the simplest of throws on a constant basis, every throw with him is a hit or miss. Fitz was more responsible than any other player on this team for losing. He's also due a $200,000 workout bonus and a $3 Millon roster bonus. It would be different if it was still Gailey and his offense, but it's not. He may not do anything to impede the progress of a young QB, but I honestly think that's there's nothing he can do to improve it, that the coaches can't do.

For once this is where it's good to have a good mentor. You can have the best QB coach in the world but unless they've played the position or know the feel of the pocket they can't mentor like a veteran. If we cut ties with Fitz that leaves Thigpen as the only QB on the team to mentor... and... wow that ain't pretty.

Don't Panic
01-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Fair enough, but the money you mention falls into the 10/10.5 you brought up before, so its really a non-issue. I would be willing to bet he makes it through the year as a Bill.

better days
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
For once this is where it's good to have a good mentor. You can have the best QB coach in the world but unless they've played the position or know the feel of the pocket they can't mentor like a veteran. If we cut ties with Fitz that leaves Thigpen as the only QB on the team to mentor... and... wow that ain't pretty.

If they cut Fitz, a Vet FA QB will be signed. In fact, Nix has said the Bills will most likely sign a FA QB & also draft one this offseason. I think the writing is on the wall for Fitz, dead man walking.