PDA

View Full Version : Bills Movie Back on Track....

Bills Juggernaut
01-10-2013, 08:13 AM
They better hurry up. This movie will make no sense once we when the Superbowl next year (hahahahaha)....

http://collider.com/draft-day-reitman-costner-lionsgate/222774/

Kelly The Dog
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Even though it won The Black List thing, and has Reitman and Costner attached (although both have made terrible decisions for the most part for a decade), I read the DRAFT DAY screenplay and it is TERRIBLE. The movie, IMO, would be embarrassing and a huge flop. It seems like it was written by guys with little knowledge of The NFL or Draft Day or the Bills. The script got hot because people said it was like the good part of Moneyball, with Brad Pitt wheeling and dealing, and that is what a lot of this is, except the wheeling and dealing in the script is moronic, impossible and not funny. People who like it probably know little about football and the draft.

Jeff1220
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Even though it won The Black List thing, and has Reitman and Costner attached (although both have made terrible decisions for the most part for a decade), I read the DRAFT DAY screenplay and it is TERRIBLE. The movie, IMO, would be embarrassing and a huge flop. It seems like it was written by guys with little knowledge of The NFL or Draft Day or the Bills. The script got hot because people said it was like the good part of Moneyball, with Brad Pitt wheeling and dealing, and that is what a lot of this is, except the wheeling and dealing in the script is moronic, impossible and not funny. People who like it probably know little about football and the draft.

Spec screenplays are never what the movie actually comes out as. They are basically the concept. Sometimes the finished product is completely unrecognizable from the spec.

Kelly The Dog
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
That is true, they often change dramatically (I work in Los Angeles as a screenwriter and have for 17 years). But this would need a complete overhaul, even the main concepts are ridiculous, like, for instance, the Costner character who is GM of the Bills fired his dad as the popular Bills coach because his mom told him to. It's extremely sophomoric.

ServoBillieves
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Wide range of possibilities in how it could go, but the demographic seems small. Would take a very good marketing team to get a strong green light.

trapezeus
01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
kelly, that's unfortunate. i would have thought that the NFL's stringent rules about greenlighting such ideas would have meant that the script would be very solid.

a great sports movie would have really been great for the bills marketing and overview. somehow, i feel like the guy who thought waterworld was going to be great, will once again let down our great city.

Kelly The Dog
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
kelly, that's unfortunate. i would have thought that the NFL's stringent rules about greenlighting such ideas would have meant that the script would be very solid.

a great sports movie would have really been great for the bills marketing and overview. somehow, i feel like the guy who thought waterworld was going to be great, will once again let down our great city.
What's funny about Waterworld is that it was thought to be one of the biggest flops of all time. If I'm not mistaken, it's actual made a ton of money. It cost about $175 million or so, and they spent another 60 million to promote it. It made 90m domestic but about 175m foreign. So they about broke even on box office, but then it was really popular in DVD sales when it started to make a profit and there was pay-per-view and airline sales, a novel, a video game, and three Universal theme park rides. I bet it's made $100 million although I'm not sure. I know it turned a profit though and a good one.

This is a really interesting tidbit, too, from it. Costner made a fortune from technology...
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/12/17/how-kevin-costner-made-a-fortune-from-waterworld/

MTBillsFan
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Russ Brandon could sell the movie...he seems to sell us on the Bills each year.

trapezeus
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
What's funny about Waterworld is that it was thought to be one of the biggest flops of all time. If I'm not mistaken, it's actual made a ton of money. It cost about $175 million or so, and they spent another 60 million to promote it. It made 90m domestic but about 175m foreign. So they about broke even on box office, but then it was really popular in DVD sales when it started to make a profit and there was pay-per-view and airline sales, a novel, a video game, and three Universal theme park rides. I bet it's made $100 million although I'm not sure. I know it turned a profit though and a good one.

This is a really interesting tidbit, too, from it. Costner made a fortune from technology...
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/12/17/how-kevin-costner-made-a-fortune-from-waterworld/

I actually knew it turned a profit. i have a friend who is obsessed with the movie because he thinks its so awful its good. and i know it developed a cult following.

i would have rather seen a feel good movie about the bills driven by the town with Buffalo as essentially a character.

a movie that just takes a couple cheap shots at the bills and misses the mark on football will be very disappointing. my friend is related to the reitman's through marriage, so i'm going to harass them and see what's up. i'll report back on any findings.

Kelly The Dog
01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I actually knew it turned a profit. i have a friend who is obsessed with the movie because he thinks its so awful its good. and i know it developed a cult following.

i would have rather seen a feel good movie about the bills driven by the town with Buffalo as essentially a character.

a movie that just takes a couple cheap shots at the bills and misses the mark on football will be very disappointing. my friend is related to the reitman's through marriage, so i'm going to harass them and see what's up. i'll report back on any findings.
I have one. It's almost been bought a few different times, although that means nothing. Kevin James' agent and manager wanted him to star in it but he turned it down. FOX wanted it for awhile but later cooled. CAA, where me and my writing partner are represented, won't send it out because of this Draft Day thing they represent. If you want to look at both of them side by side, PM me. ;) I was expecting it to be good, but was really disappointed. FWIW, I really liked Buffalo 66 and Second String was pitiful, the other two Bills movies.

better days
01-11-2013, 02:48 PM

I like Costner, but MANY of his movies are just too damn LONG. I think that could have been a goos movie if it was about 45 min. shorter.

YardRat
03-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Completely derailed now, according to the local news.

Costner will now play the Browns GM, and it will be shot in Cleveland. Apparently it's $3.5mil less to shoot the film in Ohio than it would be in NY.

The Jokeman
03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I have one. It's almost been bought a few different times, although that means nothing. Kevin James' agent and manager wanted him to star in it but he turned it down. FOX wanted it for awhile but later cooled. CAA, where me and my writing partner are represented, won't send it out because of this Draft Day thing they represent. If you want to look at both of them side by side, PM me. ;) I was expecting it to be good, but was really disappointed. FWIW, I really liked Buffalo 66 and Second String was pitiful, the other two Bills movies.

Buffalo 66 was a great film but I wouldn't call it a football movie.

fluteflakes
03-06-2013, 01:03 AM
All signs point to it being manipulative trash anyway. It's just a play on getting some of that Moneyball cash without actually looking at what made Moneyball work as a total package.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Completely derailed now, according to the local news.

Costner will now play the Browns GM, and it will be shot in Cleveland. Apparently it's $3.5mil less to shoot the film in Ohio than it would be in NY.

Just heard this on the radio. It is Clevelands now.

coastal
03-06-2013, 06:37 AM
The analytics made filming in Buffalo a losing proposition?

isnt is ironic... Don't you think?

BADTHINGSMAN
03-06-2013, 06:44 AM
The analytics made filming in Buffalo a losing proposition?

isnt is ironic... Don't you think?

First thing I thought was, wow the Bills are so bad a movie about how bad they are cant be made. Then it hit me, its a Costner movie and it more then likely would have sucked.

Pinkerton Security
03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
First thing I thought was, wow the Bills are so bad a movie about how bad they are cant be made. Then it hit me, its a Costner movie and it more then likely would have sucked.

He hasnt made a good one in a while, but he has some pretty legit movies to his name, including a few pretty good sports ones...Dances With Wolves, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Tin Cup...a bunch more i cant remember