Now that the new coaching staff is largely in place...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Now that the new coaching staff is largely in place...

How would you rank them on a scale of 1-10?

(10 being the best)

I feel surprisingly comfortable with our new coaching staff the more I read about them.

Doug Marrone comes highly recommended by Bill Polian.

Natty Hackett seems to possess a bright up-and-coming offensive mind. What bodes well for him is that there have been some successful young OC's in recent years; ala Brian Schottenheimer, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, etc etc.

Mike Pettine has a fantastic track record. I know it's been said a hundred times, but I find it difficult to find fault with a DC that ranks 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 8th overall in total defense the previous four years.

I think this group has a good chance to be the first group of guys to turn this thing around.

I sure as hell didn't feel that way about Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Now that the new coaching staff is largely in place...

I don't disagree with you, it's looking more favorable as a positive group of talented coaches.

Comment

• JoeMama
      Emotion Sickness
      • Oct 2002

Oh and whoops, I'd give the new staff about a 7.5 or 8 outta 10.

Roughly a B grade with plenty of time left in the semester to raise those grades.

It helps to add your own grade if you're going to start a thread about it :facepalm:
      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I'll wait until most of the position coaches are in place. As far as I know, only one position coach is rumored to be hired, Jim O'Neil who coached safeties with the Jets as an assistant secondary coach. The coordinators have a lot of promise. Hackett is just a kid by most coaching standards but he's got a solid pedigree as far as his family is concerned.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Wait, these guys haven't even met the players and we're already ranking them?

Zero right now.

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

Comment

• gonzo1105
                • Jul 2002

I dont mean to really nit pick but i'm just saying our coaching staff is far from complete. I guess you could say the main components are complete but we still do need a QB coach, WR coach, RB coach, OL coach, DL coach (or 2) a LB coach(or 2) and a Special teams coordinator as well as 2 quality control coaches.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I like Marrone a lot better than if we hired Kelly.
                  Hackett is a toss of the coin simply because of lack of experience, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
                  Pettine was a really good hire...great recent resume.

I'd give them a 7 right now until the rest of the staff gets rounded out, and based on the dreaded potential.

Buffalo fans wanted a change, especially in culture and direction, and that's what we got.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

5 so far. I appreciate the desire not to hire retreads but this entire staff sans Pettite is going to be learning on the job. The leap from the Big East to the AFC East is astronomical.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Two thirds of our coaching staff is bring their middle of the pack offense to the NFL. Excuse me if I'm not quite psyched yet.

Comment

• Gibby
                        Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                        • Jun 2006

I'm very cynical about this team because the past thirteen years have convinced me that nothing this team does will ever be the right move. However, I think I can give Marrone a 6, relax Chan got a 4 and Dick got a 3

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

I guess this would be a pre cursor rating as I'd pefer to reserve judgement until I see the product on the field. For instance, how each coach prepares, adjusts, and responds to wins and losses.

Marrone and Hackett are a bit of NFL unknowns. At first light, it appears that Marrone was a good hire based on the attention he recieved from all of the hiring teams. I'm hoping the Bills beat others to the punch and landed a good one here. I'm curious to see how this Syracuse whiz bang offense is going to translate into the NFL. I'm very curious to see what they are going to do with the QB issue and how it will relate to the new offense. Pettine seems to have a highly sought after resume might not have signed with the Bills had they dragged their feet interviewing and hiring Marrone. So this is viewed as a postive in my eyes.

Because we have more questions then answers at this point in time, I grade the HC as a C. Since Hackett came attached to Marrone, I grade the OC as a C. Pettine seems to be a good hire but lets face it he's not currently in nthe same league as a Jack del Rio or a Dick LeBeau. But to be fair those guys weren't exactly availble. Given some time if no one hired Lovie Smith he may have decided to take a demotion and just coach defenses again. But I'm not a fan of the Cover 2 base defense and hiring Lovie as DC is purely hypothetical. So, based on the DCs available, I rank the Pettine signing as an A.

With that all being said, the current over all coaches are a C+/B-, IMO.
                          Last edited by RedEyE; 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

But the scale was 1-10 ranking. Geez, not sure how I missed that.

Marrone: 6
                            Hackett: 6
                            Pettine: 9
                            Overall: 7

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

If its 1-10 than 5 is average and I don't see how the Bills Coaching staff is even average:
                              1) not complete coaching staff
                              2) limited NFL experience

That being said I would say an official 3rd party ranking of NFL coaching staffs would put them in the bottom 3rd of the league until proven otherwise, so Ill give them a 3
                              Last edited by Mike; 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X