PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft Watch

TigerJ
01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I love watching mock drafts evolve as we move through the playoffs, the combine, and college workout season. One of the more interesting ones to follow is Drafttek (http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp). For anyone who doesn't know about it, this is a big time professional draft website with a unique approach. They have a staff of scouts and team analysts. They feed a detailed big board and analysis of team needs into a computer, and the computer generates a draft projection. They are up to 6 rounds now, and will add a seventh before too long.

Here's what they did for the Bills in their latest:

Round 1 - Keenan Allen - A polished receiver with size, speed, and hands. I like the pick.

Round 2 - Tyler Wilson - The QB out of Arkansas whom many mocks project to the Bills in the first. Great pick if we really can get him in the second.

Round 3 - Nickell Robey - A very undersized CB from USC. Hate the pick. In todays NFL with so many big receivers, I think CBs like this are almost always overmatched. Antoine Winfield (Bills and Vikings) is almost unique in having been able to thrive as a small corner in the NFL, and he's bigger than Robey. Eddie Lacy went to the Jets right after this pick. I would have been much happier with that pick.

Round 4 - Kenjon Barner - A slightly bigger, slightly slower version of CJ Spiller. Hate the pick. It's not that I don't like Barner, who could be a nice complement to Spiller long term when Fred Jackson is retired, but he doesn't give the bills what they lack at RB right now, a short yardage banger, especially when Fred Jackson is hurt.

Round 5 - Devin Taylor - Defensive end from South Carolina. Not crazy about the pick. He was hot for a while as an underclassman prospect last year. He went back to SC for his senior year and has been a disappointment. With Jadeveon Clowney soaking up the double teams on the other side and still getting sacks, Taylor didn't do a whole lot facing blockers one on one. He's long and lean and has been OK as a run defender, but doesn't get pressure on the passer. When the Bills are in a 3-4 I'm not sure where he fits. He's not very good as a pass rusher, so he reallly doesn't fit as a rush linebacker. He's too light as a 3-4 DE unless he gains about 30 lbs. His best fit is probably as a left defensive end in a 4-3, a spot that Mario Williams will have nailed down for the better part of the next 7 or 8 years when the Bills line up in a 4-3. He's a slightly taller version of Chris Kelsay. Who could get excited about that?

Round 6 -Chris Gragg - A small tight end from Arkansas - Not crazy about the pick. He's played well at times, but has nothing special to offer. He's small, not especially fast. He shows good hands and some route running ability having been a WR at one time. He's OK as a blocker for his size. About the best thing to recommend this pick is he was a college teammate of the Bills' second round pick in this mock.

TigerJ
01-11-2013, 08:34 AM
As a curiousity, Ryan Nassib, whom some think Buffalo should/might pick in the first round, in this mock goes to the Rams as a modest value pick in the middle of the sixth round. They could be wrong. Everybody is wrong about some players, and every player has those who are wrong about him. However, as I said, this is a big time professional draft website that hires scouts. With a few exceptions like Draftboy, they probably have more credentials to evaluate players than the rest of us.

Ed
01-11-2013, 09:54 AM
First two picks look awesome to me, but probably totally unrealistic with Wilson falling to the 2nd round.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
i think if they get alex smith or vick, they will probably go best qb in the 2nd... i see mingo or milliner as the pick imo

psubills62
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Not sure I'm inclined to draft a RB at all. Would rather find an UDFA.

superbills
01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Not sure I'm inclined to draft a RB at all. Would rather find an UDFA.
I could go either way on that...Fred's recent injury string makes me nervous that we could wind up with only Tashard Choice behind CJ...I'm not a big fan of that scenario, so ensuring that you get a good-value RB may be wise. The flip side is that RBs seem to be so frequently plucked from the UFA list that you're not out of the game by any means if you don't draft one.

Jeff1220
01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
This mock must be assuming that the Bills will go after LBs in FA.

ParanoidAndroid
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm glad our potential pick for a WR has hands. Not having hands would be a drawback IMO, unless.... there is a WR with bat wings or a pelican bill.

psubills62
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I could go either way on that...Fred's recent injury string makes me nervous that we could wind up with only Tashard Choice behind CJ...I'm not a big fan of that scenario, so ensuring that you get a good-value RB may be wise. The flip side is that RBs seem to be so frequently plucked from the UFA list that you're not out of the game by any means if you don't draft one.
We don't have many picks, we have a number of other needs, and frankly, the RB position isn't exactly a significant one. There's also been enough UDFA's who have done well at RB that it's not too risky. Fred's injuries are a concern, but I feel like he might do well in a pure backup role.

I also assume Choice will be dropped at some point.

TigerJ
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm glad our potential pick for a WR has hands. Not having hands would be a drawback IMO, unless.... there is a WR with bat wings or a pelican bill.
I would go with a big ol' pelican bill myself. Might as will have wings too. Then he could literally do a fly pattern and none would catch him!

Extremebillsfan247
01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
My only problem with mocks this early in the process is that we still don't have a completed list of which underclassmen are declaring, or returning to school. This is important to the process because it changes how teams draft every year. JMO

trapezeus
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
i've been fairly anti this QB class this year....however, i still imagine there will be a run on QBs based on the fact of all the coaching changes for the bad teams, and the results last year's qb's got this year. So many rookies turning teams around instanteously. I just don't see coaches taking a measured response in the draft. i think we see at least 3 QB's in round 1. and if that's the case, wilson will be one of them. all the can't miss guys pooped the bed in bowl games or were thoroughly underwhelming.

thanks for the post, i'd love to see an update once the combine's are over.

ServoBillieves
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Devin Taylor no... Just... just no. I've watched a lot of '***** games down here and he doesn't necessarily look lost, but you can just tell he doesn't have that "motor" people want.

X-Era
01-11-2013, 12:05 PM
1) Keenan Allen
2) Ryan Nassib
3) Khaseem Greene
4) John Bostic
5) Zac Dysert
6) Knile Davis
7) BPA

ServoBillieves
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Update any mock drafts you post just for fun with the player that we could have gotten instead of the trade for Tarvaris Jackson.

TigerJ
01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
i've been fairly anti this QB class this year....however, i still imagine there will be a run on QBs based on the fact of all the coaching changes for the bad teams, and the results last year's qb's got this year. So many rookies turning teams around instanteously. I just don't see coaches taking a measured response in the draft. i think we see at least 3 QB's in round 1. and if that's the case, wilson will be one of them. all the can't miss guys pooped the bed in bowl games or were thoroughly underwhelming.

thanks for the post, i'd love to see an update once the combine's are over.

I'll try to remember.